PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Characters as Kid's Show Supervillains...Who Happen To Be Blood Relations

Leliel
2009-08-05, 09:26 PM
Yes, another "Evil Campaign" thread, but this one has a bit of and odd spin to it.

You see, I was reading TV Tropes entry on villainy is often genetic (not linked-everyone will get distracted), which gave me an idea: What if the reason the PCs aren't killing each other is that they're members of a family? The blood is a strong bond after all, and this gives justification to PCs with non-evil alignments: Loyalty to the clan supersedes some abstract ideal of "good", particularly when being in said clan nets you a hell of a lot more toys then said ideal. Given that I have a 4E game in mind, this only gives more encouragement (there aren't any "detect alignment" spells and to be frank, just because you're a supervillain doesn't mean you can't be nice, particularly in a "kid's show" sense of the term).

The idea is that the PCs are members of a cross between a noble house and a Mafia family (ie, they aren't directly related-a lot of branches are the results of people marrying into the clan) by the name of Foxglove. They are a highly respected, philanthropist, and popular clan who happen to have a long and fine tradition of stealing world monuments, causing major property damage, attempting-and occasionally succeeding-to take over the world, mad science, and owning cats. Their "family business" started when the patriarch of the line, Rowan Foxglove, The Dark King of 144,000 Sorrows and Archmage of Blood, was forced to flee for his life when his father was killed by his chancellor. He, as these tales usually go, won back his throne. However, he soon realized that raising an army to take what was rightfully his was infinitely more fun then a cushy desk job administrating what was rightfully his, and so he began an expansionistic reign of terror-for his enemies, his allies and servants thought he was a pretty nice guy-which only ended when he retired after suffering a bad arm injury while summoning the Wicked Emperor of The Fragmented Bones (in retrospect, that was a pretty stupid move on his part). His son, Reginald Foxglove-aka, the Insane Alchemist of The Ebon Mansion-continued in his footsteps, actually managing to briefly rule the world near the end of his career, thanks to a giant half-golem dragon-tarrasque hybrid he created while ODing on caffeine. He was disposed, but only because that like his father before him, taking over the world is fun until after you succeed. Thus began the tradition of Foxglove wickedness, more out of universal rebellious spirit combined with a yearning for adventure. So it eventually comes the PCs, who begin their own villainous careers. Along the way, they will have to deal with Lawful Stupid heroes, wannabe evil overlords who haven't realized that the Foxgloves are still the biggest game in town, idiotic minions, actually dangerous villains, and worst of all, family reunions (every other one is generally spoken of in hushed whispers due to trauma, for a variety of reasons).

So what do you think of this idea for a not-entirely-serious-if-at-all campaign? How would you handle the inevitable sitcom elements? What would you do if-horror of horrors-roleplayers in the group decide to engage in a bit of Kissing Cousins?

Sorry, but I have to go. Old Man Frank Quipolith-Foxglove is playing Final Fantasy boss music again, and that never ends well for us (those demon forms are so utterly embarrassing, one wonders if he's really trying to lure the adventurers into a sense of pity for him).

Rhiannon87
2009-08-05, 09:51 PM
That sounds pretty fun, actually. Just so long as the players know going in that it is going to be quirky and tongue-in-cheek, it seems like it could be quite fun. I think you and the players would have to just embrace the wackiness, though. Rather than trying to avoid campy sitcom-ness, run with it.

And you could have them be in a "family" the way that people are in a mafia family-- not related by blood, but you think of them in that same bonded way. Adoption is another way to avoid the squicky incest potential. "She's your cousin!" "Not by blood!"

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-05, 09:57 PM
And then all it takes is one Romeo-Juliet marriage between two teenagers to suddenly ally them with the largest family of paladins and assorted do-gooders in the world...

Hilarity ensues.

Hat-Trick
2009-08-05, 10:16 PM
"Henry! Have to taken over that village, yet?"

"I'm gettin' to it, Ma! Let me finish this chapter first!"

Please tell me you're playing this online so I can join?

Leliel
2009-08-05, 10:20 PM
"Henry! Have to taken over that village, yet?"

"I'm gettin' to it, Ma! Let me finish this chapter first!"

Please tell me you're playing this online so I can join?

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I don't see where I can play anywhere else.

Hat-Trick
2009-08-05, 10:22 PM
I feel your pain, my friend. Living in BF nowhere sucks.

Leliel
2009-08-06, 02:34 PM
I feel your pain, my friend. Living in BF nowhere sucks.

I have no idea what "BF Nowhere" means, but I agree.

Haven
2009-08-06, 02:37 PM
Sorry, but I have to go. Old Man Frank Quipolith-Foxglove is playing Final Fantasy boss music again, and that never ends well for us (those demon forms are so utterly embarrassing, one wonders if he's really trying to lure the adventurers into a sense of pity for him).

I chuckled.

I really like this idea! Have you ever read the comic Runaways? That's the variation of this plot with the twist that the kids rebel against the family business.

Altima
2009-08-06, 05:43 PM
Seems fun, but if the sole reason you're doing it is to keep your PCs from (randomly) killing each other (for no reason), then I suggest not running an evil campaign.

Hat-Trick
2009-08-06, 11:05 PM
Bum F*** Nowhere. BF is better for mixed company.

Thrawn183
2009-08-07, 12:53 AM
Actually, if you steal the idea of Mandalorians where family is just people who decide to be family through adoption, you can even have a party of different races. Sure you could work in orc's, half-orcs, elves, half-elves and humans pretty easily, but you just need that extra bit of acceptance to justify the halflings and the gnomes.

Limos
2009-08-07, 01:46 AM
Actually, if you steal the idea of Mandalorians where family is just people who decide to be family through adoption, you can even have a party of different races. Sure you could work in orc's, half-orcs, elves, half-elves and humans pretty easily, but you just need that extra bit of acceptance to justify the halflings and the gnomes.

On that note you could also just say that the most recent patriarch has rather... eclectic tastes in women. Which explains why there is a Half-Orc, Half-Elf, and Human who are all siblings.

With an extended family it wouldn't be that hard to have several branches brought in by marriage. And in many noble families there are families of servants or armsmen who have been around the family for so long they might as well be related.

Also some of the PCs could play hereditary Minions or Mercenaries hired by the family.