PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Style Feat] Brave Fencer

Fax Celestis
2009-08-05, 11:21 PM
Like Investing Feats, Style feats cost Prowess to purchase their abilities. Each ability is usable once per encounter.

Brave Fencer [Style]
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Weapon Finesse

Benefit: The Brave Fencer feat allows the following options, with enough prowess expenditure:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/bravefencer.png

Salute (2 Prowess): At the beginning of combat, you may choose one foe who you have not acted against and who has not yet acted. As a standard action, you may salute them. You gain a +1 bonus on Will saves and on attack rolls against that opponent, plus an additional +1 for each two additional abilities granted to you by this feat. This ability lasts until either you or your opponent are rendered unconscious, or the encounter ends.

Lunge (3 Prowess): You may lunge forwards to temporarily increase your reach. As part of an attack action, you may increase your reach by 5' for that attack. This ability may be used in conjunction with other attack options (such as a fencer's Tactical Strike ability) or as part of a full attack.

In Quartata (3 Prowess): You may twist your body so as to present a smaller target. As a swift action, once per encounter, you may gain a dodge bonus to your Armor Class equal to half the abilities granted you by this feat, rounded down. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Riposte (3 Prowess): When an opponent misses you with a melee attack, you may activate this ability as an immediate action to make an attack at your full base attack bonus. This does not count against your number of attacks of opportunity each round.

Fleche (3 Prowess): In a fleche, a fencer transfers his weight onto his front foot and extends his arm. He makes an exaggerated running stride towards his opponent, attempting to skewer them as he runs past to avoid counterattack. You may activate this ability as a standard action. Upon doing so, move up to your speed in a straight line that moves you past an opponent. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity from one opponent of your choice during this movement (generally the target you are attacking, but not always). Once, when you pass an opponent during this attack, you may make an attack at your full base attack bonus, gaining all benefits and penalties as normal for charging. After making this attack you may continue moving past your opponent, up to a total movement (before and after the attack) of your maximum moving distance.

Feint (3 Prowess): As a swift action, you may make a Bluff check against one opponent's Sense Motive check. If successful, the opponent is flat-footed until the end of your turn. The targeted opponent must be within your threatened area.

Redoublement (4 Prowess): This ability functions as the lunge ability, except that after your initial attack, you may move 5' and then attempt a single, second attack at the same attack bonus and with the same 5' reach extension.

Prise de Fer (4 Prowess): When successfully striking an armed opponent, you may activate this ability as an immediate action to initiate a disarm attempt. This ability and the subsequent disarm attempt does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Moulinet (5 Prowess): As a standard action, you may make a single attack at all creatures within your melee reach at your full base attack bonus. If you possess the Tactical Strike ability, you may apply one Base, one Multiplier, and one Special to each attack made in this fashion--use the same Base, Multiplier, and Special for every attack.

Passata Soto (5 Prowess): When a creature at least one size category larger than you attempts to strike you in combat, you may activate this ability as an immediate action. You gain a +4 dodge bonus to your AC as you duck low to move under their attack. If they miss, you may make an attack of opportunity. If you hit, you deal 5d6 extra points of damage.

Agile Riposte (5 Prowess): This ability functions like Riposte, except that you may make a full attack rather than a single attack.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-06, 03:44 AM
I really like these. I think they work well with the somewhat plain-but-effective maneuvers to create a really stylish fighting class.

Had you thought about allowing Tactical Strike on Agile Riposte, at least?

Tyrael
2009-08-06, 09:54 AM
Are there minimum level requirements for each of these abilities? Or can you simply save up Prowess and have the entire tech tree by level 4?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-06, 10:03 AM
Are there minimum level requirements for each of these abilities? Or can you simply save up Prowess and have the entire tech tree by level 4?

Prowess doesn't carry from level to level, so you can't "save" it. I'm considering adding in skill requirements for each ability, but I'm not really sure if I want to.

Morty
2009-08-06, 10:16 AM
I like it. I assume that this feat follows the restriction that you can't spend more prowess on a single feat than your level + [I forgot how much exactly]?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-06, 11:48 AM
I like it. I assume that this feat follows the restriction that you can't spend more prowess on a single feat than your level + [I forgot how much exactly]? I remember that when I was making a Dwarven Dreadnought, I was left with Prowess points I couldn't spend.

Correct. AFAIR, cap is BAB+3 right now.

Siosilvar
2009-08-06, 04:28 PM
Correct. AFAIR, cap is BAB+3 right now.

So I know some level 20 fencers? And I'm level 18? :smalltongue:

Also, how does the tree work, exactly?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-06, 04:43 PM
Also, how does the tree work, exactly?
Each class gains prowess every level, like skill points, in values between 2 and 8 (wizardly classes have two, skillful classes have 4, fighter types have 6, and the dreadnaught has 8). Each level, you have the option to invest prowess into [Investing] or [Style] feats. This is a [Style] feat.

You have to purchase abilities at the top of the tree before you can purchase abilities further down the tree--essentially, those arrows on the chart demarcate prerequisites.

When leveling, you can purchase one or more abilities from the style feat by spending your prowess on them. After that point, you can use any purchased ability once per encounter.

lesser_minion
2009-08-07, 09:28 AM
I really like this idea, even though I wasn't sold on Investing Feats.

It might make a little more sense to concentrate on this sort of thing, putting together old feat trees into style feats (and possibly expanding some or taking them into a different direction).

This would also work really well with things like the Improved (X) options (although these would probably work better rounded out and made into the 'basic' combat style - also helping to emphasise the "don't be a one trick pony" message).

It would also be tempting to allow Aspect Items to be used in a similar way to these feats (possibly with the caveat that a character can reforge a destroyed aspect item for little cost).

Tyrael
2009-09-07, 06:46 PM
Another question. Is there any spending limit on Prowess? A Fencer gets 6 points of Prowess per level. If he spent Prowess on Brave Fencer abilities and nothing else, could he attain the end of the tech tree (Moulinet/Agile Riposte) by level 5?

Fax Celestis
2009-09-07, 07:02 PM
Another question. Is there any spending limit on Prowess? A Fencer gets 6 points of Prowess per level. If he spent Prowess on Brave Fencer abilities and nothing else, could he attain the end of the tech tree (Moulinet/Agile Riposte) by level 5?

Theoretically. I may put skill requirements on the abilities to lock them into later levels.

DrakebloodIV
2010-05-09, 12:03 AM
Theoretically. I may put skill requirements on the abilities to lock them into later levels.

Wait, isn't there already a theoretical cap on the level you can get something though?

A full BaB class can only put 4 points into Brave Fencer at 1st level, so even if they get 6 BaB 2 of it can't be put in the pot. Also, they can only put 1 in per level after that, because BaB raises by one. At that rate, 17 out of 23 of your max prowess at 20th level would be spent by the time Moulinet was bought, and Passata Soto would be effectively impossible (unless this is a tech stream, not a tech tree).

Lunix Vandal
2010-05-09, 01:24 AM
[Style] feats are not subject to the BAB+3 Prowess investment cap that feats have. (The cap was removed/altered for [Style] feats some time after Brave Fencer was first posted, at least partially due to Berserk Sandworm requiring 93 Prowess for full investment.) Rather:
You cannot have more than six times your BAB invested in any one Style feat.As noted by Tyrael, this (still) means that Fencers, Dreadnaughts, and human members of other 6-Prowess, full-BAB classes can have the full tree by Level 5. Which while part of d20r is giving nice things to Fighters, Fax & co. aren't sure they want to be [I]that nice.