PDA

View Full Version : 4e Where's My Psion demo!

oxinabox
2009-08-06, 09:03 AM
I redownloaded the character builder demo, s o i could check out the psion and it ain't there.

I didn't fully download, i downloaded the downloader, then it came up with a message saying: Install new features?
anmd i was like yes, and it did, and no Psion!

Mando Knight
2009-08-06, 09:13 AM
The character builder demo? Yeah, you aren't going to get to see the Psion. You need a DDI subscription.

oxinabox
2009-08-06, 09:59 AM
no fair, I'm not subscribing or buying PHP3 before i know if the psion ins't just a refluffed sorceror hybrid wizard

mathewt
2009-08-06, 10:18 AM
Yeah if I remember correctly, the CB demo just contains material from PHB and PHB2. Psion and other PHB3 stuff is DDI only until the book comes out.

And incidentally, Psion's pretty different mechanically from the rest of the controllers, what with having power points and augmentable at-wills instead of encounter powers.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-06, 10:19 AM
Not in 4e it's not.
A rough overview:
The psion gets 2 types of powers: At will, and Daily.
However, he gets new at will powers as if he was gaining encounter powers.
As well, his at will powers can all be Augmented, using points from a power point pool, that increases as he gains levels. Augmentation improves these powers, so they are comparable to encounter powers.

That's a totally unique mechanic in 4e, similar to the monk's Full Discipline powers in mechanical change.

Tiki Snakes
2009-08-06, 10:37 AM
no fair, I'm not subscribing or buying PHP3 before i know if the psion ins't just a refluffed sorceror hybrid wizard

It's pretty much not. There was a thread about it somewhere in this very forum, however. I suggest dredging it out and having a read, the class is discussed in plenty of detail. :)

Mando Knight
2009-08-06, 10:43 AM

...Actually, it is fair. It's WotC's intellectual property, so it's their right to withhold it from people who don't pay to use it. Subscribing to DDI is essentially paying for the privilege to see the preview material.

Lert, A.
2009-08-06, 10:58 AM
...Actually, it is fair. It's WotC's intellectual property, so it's their right to withhold it from people who don't pay to use it. Subscribing to DDI is essentially paying for the privilege to see the preview material.

Begone, Logic!!

Personally, I second the recommendation of checking out that other thread. The Psion has me really stoked in ways that many parts of 4e never did.

Artanis
2009-08-06, 11:14 AM

The Psion uses a totally different mechanic than any other class in the game.

cdrcjsn
2009-08-06, 07:29 PM

Well, probably until the other psionic classes come out.

I can imagine a soul knife or psychic warrior type of class can probably use the power point mechanic.

JaxGaret
2009-08-06, 07:48 PM

I was going to say the same thing. The Psion is more mechanically divergent from the other classes than any other class is.

I can imagine a soul knife or psychic warrior type of class can probably use the power point mechanic.

Maybe, maybe not. The Monk certainly doesn't.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-06, 08:43 PM
Why is it that the Psion gets to be the one that's different? Huh? We'll be three PHBs in and the Psion will be the only one doing things differently. Doesn't that anger anyone?
Me? It makes me cry. Makes me a sad moose.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 08:46 PM
Why is it that the Psion gets to be the one that's different? Huh? We'll be three PHBs in and the Psion will be the only one doing things differently. Doesn't that anger anyone?

SAD MEESE TASTE BETTER WITH KETCHUP. n_______n

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-06, 08:50 PM
SAD MEESE TASTE BETTER WITH KETCHUP. n_______n

MONSTER! Writing in white space! Fiend! Begone!

NPCMook
2009-08-06, 08:57 PM
You aren't the only one, I think Wizards got shafted after seeing the Psion, imagine if the Wizard used a similar mechanic to the Psion, instead of Power points, they used Materials to enhance the spell effects.

Imagine it... Do it...

DO IT!

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-06, 09:01 PM
You aren't the only one, I think Wizards got shafted after seeing the Psion, imagine if the Wizard used a similar mechanic to the Psion, instead of Power points, they used Materials to enhance the spell effects.

Imagine it... Do it...

DO IT!

Hmmmm.

*Imagining*

Oh dear god, there would be toilet paper everywhere!

RTGoodman
2009-08-06, 10:46 PM

I dunno, I like that it's different, and shaking up the paradigm of class design is good a couple of years in. And the Psion certainly isn't the ONLY class that's different. The Monk has to take advantage of its Full Disciplines, and I'd be willing to bet some of the other PHB3 classes will kinda break the mold a little. I believe the designers even talked about that kind of thing in either the Monk playtest article or the Psion preview article.

@NPCMook: Nah, I mean, the Psion's cool in that it's an interesting mechanic, but I'm not sure it's much better or cooler than the Wizard. To me, versatility is kind of an important part of the Controller role (like movement is for most Strikers) - it's not an actual feature, but it's part of how they play. And with that, Psions have their power points and augmentable powers, whereas Wizards have their Spellbooks and Druids have a combination of wildshape melee powers and normal-form AoEs. Admittedly, it's not an even trade, but I think WotC kinda OVERshot balancing Wizards and Druids in 4E.

Asbestos
2009-08-07, 01:19 PM

They confirmed (somewhere) that the other Psionic classes will be using power points. Monks are unique in that they do not.

Alteran
2009-08-07, 01:26 PM
They confirmed (somewhere) that the other Psionic classes will be using power points. Monks are unique in that they do not.

That doesn't mean they all use them in the same way. However, it also doesn't mean that they don't. We have no guarantees at this time, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some answers in a Dragon column or something.