PDA

View Full Version : Underdark mystery race

Thant
2009-08-06, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, I need a bit help from you d&d experts. On the back of the forgotten realms Underdark supplement there's a pic of some aquatic race doing some mainland invasion and stuff:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2mricm9.jpg

Does anyone know which race is on the pic?

At first it reminded me of the illithid-lizardfolk half-breed, but later on I wasn't so sure (sahaugin maybe? they look somewhat too big to fit in their description; definitely not Locahtah or Kuo-Toa IMHO...).

I want to add some more spice to our current Underdark conquest campaign in a form of an previously unseen force that launches an attack on the empire controlled by the PC's (while they are involved in a full-scale war with 3 other nations) and when I saw the crits on this cover I instantly new that they were the ones I was looking for. Unfortunately I was unable to find any race in the MMs that even closely resembles the one presented on the cover and I don't have time to create one from scratch (although it might be fun to do so later on) :p

So if anyone has a good guess who these guys are, it would help me out great :smallsmile:

HamHam
2009-08-06, 11:14 AM
Those could be Sahuagin just drawn somewhat differently from the MM picture.

Wabbajack
2009-08-06, 11:16 AM
They look abit like Blackscale Lizardfolk, enslaved by an Aboleth^^

EDIT: Sahuagin would make more sense^^

bosssmiley
2009-08-06, 11:31 AM
Aboleth + probably Kuo Toa (the fishmen of the Underdark).

LibraryOgre
2009-08-06, 11:47 AM
Skum, I would say. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skum.htm) This variety has a cranial ridge, but they're commonly used by aboleths.

Draken
2009-08-06, 12:28 PM
Most likely skum. The tail matches, the aboleth matches, the red, non-huge eyes match (Sahuagin and Kuo-toa have rather large fish-like eyes, skum not so much).

Altima
2009-08-06, 01:51 PM
Sahuagin, Skum, or, possibly, Koa-toan (some artists are REALLY off in their depictions).

Woodsman
2009-08-06, 01:56 PM
With the aboleth, I'm going to say Skum.

That, and they don't seem frog-like enough to be kuo-toa.

hamishspence
2009-08-06, 01:57 PM
I can just imagine an underdark pirate crew of these creatures.

With a captain bellowing "Arrrr, ye scurvy skum!"

Elfin
2009-08-06, 03:18 PM
Those look like an aboleth and sahuagin.

Starscream
2009-08-06, 03:41 PM
I can just imagine an underdark pirate crew of these creatures.

With a captain bellowing "Arrrr, ye scurvy skum!"

Can we make a Scurvy template? I'd love to play a Scurvy Skum. And I'd call him Ar'ye. Can I have DR 5/rum?

Lappy9000
2009-08-06, 03:56 PM
DR 5/rum?Ar'ye: That's 5 rum damage gone.
DM: Why is the rum always gone!?

*rimshot*

Badgercloak
2009-08-06, 08:03 PM
They 're Skum with an Aboleth leader.

Thant
2009-08-07, 02:51 AM
Sahaugin it is. They are by far the coolest of all the "aquatics" I know of. Way cooler than Skum anyway :smalltongue: tnx people, I appreciate the help.

Renrik
2009-08-07, 07:47 PM
I don't think you get Sahuigan in the underdark. Skum, drawn a bit differently than nomal, employed by an Aboleth.

KIDS
2009-08-08, 02:40 AM
The picture is an almost 100% perfect example of Warcraft's Naga. http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/images/naga_4337.jpg While they might not be represented in D&D like that and probably they themselves came from some other source, I still find the likeness staggering.

The Glyphstone
2009-08-08, 11:00 AM
Well, there's the little detail that the things in the picture have legs, but still.

Keld Denar
2009-08-08, 11:21 AM
Abolith are totally awesome BBEGs. If you have any doubts, go check out one of the most popular 2e modules "A Night Below". Freakin sweet!

Thant
2009-08-10, 08:16 AM
I don't think you get Sahuigan in the underdark.

Says who? :smallsmile: I like sahaugin. And with this new variant of them that I created for our underdark campaign they fit in p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y.

The picture is an almost 100% perfect example of Warcraft's Naga. http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/images/naga_4337.jpg While they might not be represented in D&D like that and probably they themselves came from some other source, I still find the likeness staggering.

Yeah...but I don't like Warcraft mythos that much :smallyuk: Especially not in my homebrew campaign :smallyuk::smallyuk::smallyuk: