PDA

View Full Version : Lady in the Water [Spoilers... maybe]

Krade
2006-07-21, 07:21 PM
I put [Spoilers... maybe] because while I don't plan on posting any, I can't say the same for anyone else. And I don't particularly care whether or not they do.

I just went to see it and... dam it awesome!

One of the best parts is that the previews actually revealed VERY little about the plot. Definitely a hard to find quality in movies these days.

My friend made fun of me when I said I didn't catch Shyamalan's cameo... apparently, he was one of the main characters and I just never noticed. It's a completely understandable mistake! He hasn't made a movie in a while and he put on some weight! It's not my fault! Stop making fun of me!!!!!

*Ahem*

I expected the movie to be good, but it FAR exceded that expectation. All the characters were great. Especially the guy who only exercised the right side of his body for "science." One scene near the end you get a full body shot of him and it's just hilarious.

I can't think ofwhat else to say so... DISCUSS!!

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-07-28, 01:29 AM
Well, I enjoyed it. I didn't like the narrated intro...I felt it gave far too much away from the mystery of the Blue World. However, the (spoiler) lawn-wolf thing was nifty. I think I'll have to make one for D&D.

Dudukain
2006-07-28, 05:21 PM
So the critics are just being overcritical? It sounded a little silly to me...

kriklaf
2006-07-31, 04:21 PM
Eh, I thought it was lousy. I disliked the whole 'man has turned away from the wise ones' intro and overall found the whole movie preachy and saccharine sweet. I thought--from trailers--that the suspense and the unknown came from ambiguity about the intentions of the Lady, and was incredibly disappointed to have that suspense removed so early in the film. That also removed the menace of this big, dark pool of water which is something I think a lot of moviegoers could relate to--the slight unease in murky water, the creepiness of not being able to see the bottom--after 15 minutes in, it was just a swimming pool. I also didn't think much of the 'bedtime story' aspect--either the fact that it's an ancient chinese story (and by the way, while I don't know much Chinese, scrunt? narf? NARF? It sounds like a derogatory term you'd throw around in high school. Names for things matter, and I thought the names for the exotic things in the movie were silly. Perhaps a western bias) or the fact that it's relayed through a middlewoman. I thought the acting was remarkably good, and that all of the characters were well-cast. And, as usual for Shyamalan's films, the directing was good--the characters seemed natural, the cinematograpy was well-done. I just thought the story was silly and unengaging. Original, but not good. Oh, well.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-02, 10:55 AM
The cinematography was awful.

But I liked the movie, it was campy. Frankly, the scene with the movie reviewer and the scrunt...PRIIIIIIIIIICELESS.

jewellissa
2006-08-02, 12:01 PM
I really liked this movie. I liked the fact that it was just a fairytale. They basically told you what was going to happen and it was either going to happen and *yay* or it wasnt and *cry*. And I thought the depth, the acting and the cast were fantastic and made the telling the most enjoyable part.

I also read a reviewer who said "grass isnt scarey". Sorry but I diagree. =)

My fiancee and I wonder if maybe critics took their character in the movie a little bit too to heart and were offended thus the AMAZING reviews jsut decrying it as an insult to the modern american moviegoer. I dunno but we were very amazed and awestuck at how good this movie was.

Steward
2006-08-02, 05:00 PM
They stole 'narf' from Pinky & the Brain.

Personally...it was alright. It's not a bad movie, but it's forgettable. Not worth spending money on when it comes out of DVD. Nice acting, though.

The_bard
2006-08-02, 07:19 PM
defininately not as good as The Village!

jkjk the village stunk! this movie was great! was the narf in this movie Ivy from The Village?

ElfMaster2000
2006-08-02, 09:32 PM
I liked it. The fore plot of the narf getting home was a little.. I dont know. Not what I hoped. But I liked the thought that her coming could spark a mans intellect and change the world. Maybe if they kept the story going in other movies it could turn out really well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-03, 01:24 PM
defininately not as good as The Village!

jkjk the village stunk! this movie was great! was the narf in this movie Ivy from The Village?
*lunges at the Bard, teeth plummeting down*

The Village is one of my favorite movies and yes, the 'Lady' is Ivy.

I haven't seen it yet, probably will tomorrow, but I love Shyamalan's works. The 6th Sense frankly astounded me with its subtelty and strategery. I wouldn't buy it because it was really a one time deal. You watched it once, gasped, and then watched it a second time to see it from a new point of view. After that you only watch it with others to get their reactions, but the surprise is now gone.

The Village I thought was just beautiful all the way around. The film, to me, had an unexplainable aura to it, and the setting was phenomenal. I also admit to a bit of an affinity for soppy romance, so sue me, especially as this wasn't actually soppy. Even the music was intoxicating. However, unlike the Sixth Sense you could watch this over and over again. Miss Howard is definetely the frosting on the cake as well http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif

Which brings me to Lady in the Water. I have high hopes for it because #1 Shymalan is doing it, #2 the acting in his movies is always superb, and #3 Bryce Howard is the star.