PDA

View Full Version : I duddits The Game of Thrones!

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 10:27 PM
I have duddits. I finished A Game of Thrones today. Tomorrow at our DnD meet, I will receive A Clash of Kings.

Has anyone else read this most exelent series, and who is your favorite character(s)?

I like Tyrian Lannister and Jon Snow. Tyrian, because he is probably the best leader of his house, but lacks personal confidence enough to actually claim the lannister crown, and Jon because he is in the place of Martins world that intrigues me the most. I also like Cersi, because she sold the throne from under Robert with her vagina.

One more thing that really puzzles me: What is The Gift? On the map, it's the line below the three castles of the Wall. Really what is it?

Bookman
2006-07-12, 10:31 PM
HAHA! We have another in the slow addiction! HMmmmmm favorite character is probably Tyrion and Jon and Bran and Arya (off the top of me head) You should probably also change the subject to soemthing less wierd and easier to understand

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 10:35 PM
This was no slow addiction, man. This was love on page 1.

Bookman
2006-07-12, 10:40 PM
Oooooooooooo instant addiction thata's impressive......it took me awhile to get into it.

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 10:41 PM
shouldn't this be in one of the gaming sections?

Gralamin
2006-07-12, 10:43 PM
I think it might be some book or something...

Sneak
2006-07-12, 10:45 PM
Yeah, it's a book,

No, I haven't read it.

Yes, I should read it.

Do you have any more questions?

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 10:46 PM
why do you have a goat?

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 10:51 PM
I think it might be some book or something...

Some book, SOME book?! It'sonlythebestbookeverwritten! *smoothes hair* Yes it is a book. A fantasy novel series called: A Song of Ice and Fire. It's fantasy but has little magic (really none so far) and no real monsters. There is a bloodmage (dark healer), the Others (frost monsters, very mysterious), and dragons.

fwiffo
2006-07-12, 10:51 PM
Wow, that is quite an achievement. That book doesn't even have pictures or anything. Congrats on finishing it.

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 10:57 PM
Wow, that is quite an achievement. That book doesn't even have pictures or anything. Congrats on finishing it.
Books which rely on pictures are A. kids books or B. worthless books

Sneak
2006-07-12, 11:05 PM
why do you have a goat?

Why do you have a cow?

And I do believe Fwiffo was being sarcastic.

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 11:05 PM

It does have pictures, it has two maps.

And this guy might be this thing you call a "kid."

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 11:07 PM
And this guy might be this thing you call a "kid."
If he's a kid he's lying about his age, it shows in the fourties

Sneak
2006-07-12, 11:09 PM
Umm...I think Dmgrinder was talking about himself there.

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 11:11 PM
Umm...I think Dmgrinder was talking about himself there.
oh, well since there is no age shown and he doesn't act like a kid I was assuming he wasn't, ah well.

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 11:11 PM
No, I didn't read the guys profile. I guess I'm a "kid", I'm 15.

I have now fixed my profile.

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 11:15 PM
No, I didn't read the guys profile. I guess I'm a "kid", I'm 15.

I have now fixed my profile.
That's no kid, I'm 16 and I get enraged if people call me a kid. Sure you can act like a kid when you're 16 but you've grown enough that you're no kid, legal age seperations aren't the only things that count, body and mind state as well.

DMgrinder
2006-07-12, 11:21 PM
Ya, but compared to a 40-year-old, I'm a kid.

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 11:38 PM
Bo, compared to a 40 year old you're young

Midnight Son
2006-07-13, 01:12 AM
Back on subject here. That series is awesome and I hate the damn people on this board for getting me into it. I read all four in about three weeks and now i'm stuck reading other stuff till he feels like putting out the next. I'd be tearing my hair out in frustration if I had any.

Edit: Hah! my first simu, and I simu'ed a goddess, no less.

Alarra
2006-07-13, 01:15 AM
And going back to the original topic.....

Yes! This is one of my favorite series ever....everyone should read it! Favorite characters, eh? Hard since I like so many....

Arya or Dany....Jon is great, and Asha (but you wouldn't know her yet), Arianne as well. Davos is pretty cool. I can't help but be fond of Brienne and Tyrion....And Jaime has really moved up there in my esteem in the last book. (feast of crows) Meera's pretty cool too. and Jojen. Frankly I like everyone. Melisandre rocks my world, and I like Stannis in spite of himself.

If you love the books....check out the ccg. It's really great.

DMgrinder
2006-07-13, 02:15 AM
And going back to the original topic.....

Yes! This is one of my favorite series ever....everyone should read it! Favorite characters, eh? Hard since I like so many....

Arya or Dany....Jon is great, and Asha (but you wouldn't know her yet), Arianne as well She hasn't been introduced yet. Davos is pretty cool Him neither. I can't help but be fond of Brienne Or her and Tyrion....And Jaime has really moved up there in my esteem in the last book. (feast of crows) Meera's Nope, not even her pretty cool too. and Jojen or him. Frankly I like everyone. Melisandre rocks my world or her, and I like Stannis in spite of himself And Stannis has had no personal evolution or character development besides, "he's the real king".

If you love the books....check out the ccg What's that?. It's really great.

So you told me that alot of characters that I haven't read about are awesome? Works for me, I have something to look forward to :).

Oh but Dany! How could I forget her? Daenerys Stormborn: evening mount of Khal Drogo ;D.

Bookman
2006-07-13, 07:37 AM
DARNIT I forgot Dany too! Well she's a cool one too.....I do haveta say that Jaime will haveta rise ALOT to be counted among my favorite characters. CCG is collectible card game which I haven't played yet. They also have a d20 system which looks pretty good.

Don Beegles
2006-07-13, 09:50 AM
Yes, it was mentioned so much in teh Book You LIke thread that I had no choice but to read it and I didn't regret it. It's not as action-packed and can't put down as some otehr books I've read because the continual interlace slows some of the plotlines, but luckily they are all so interesting that this is really irrelevant. I recently finished A Clash of Kings and am going to reserve the next one today at the library.

As for my favorite character, I'd have to say eitehr the Hound or Tyrion, both of whom are rather complex. The Hound seems like jsut a brute, but then he surprises you with a good deed, before becoming a brute again, and I am really confused as to which is actually true. Tyrion is very similar, in that at times he seems like a hero, but at others he sells people out and betrays, and I can't quite put my finger on why exactly he acts the way he does. Is he a good person who just has some loyalty to his family? Or is a jerk who does good thigns to get what he wants? I'm certain it's not that latter, but teh former doesn't define him either.

That's really the great thing about the books: none of the characters can really be fit into a simple description and only a dozen or so can really be described as 'evil', which is saying something considering the number of characters in each book. And it seems like most of the ones who seem evil end up having some reason and redeeming points which are revealed later. Like Stannis and Melisandre. When you meet them there seems like nothing to them but desire to rule, but evidently, based on what Alarra says, there is pobably more to that than what meets the eye.

Oeryn
2006-07-13, 11:57 AM
So you told me that alot of characters that I haven't read about are awesome? Works for me, I have something to look forward to :).

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of cool new characters in front of you. But, there's a downside to that, too. Which I won't spoil for you, but you'll find out soon enough, if you're a new Martin fan....

TinSoldier
2006-07-13, 12:02 PM
I really like this series and I need to go back and re-read them. I didn't like Feast for Crows that much though. I can't wait for the next book!

Then again, I already had to wait two years past its due date for Feast. (*shrugs*)

Alarra
2006-07-13, 02:55 PM
Well, it shouldn't take as long for the next one as most of dance with dragons is already written.

I wasn't as big a fan of feast for crows either. It seemed he introduced too many unnecessary characters. There was also the way that he split this book and the next one. While I think it was the best way for the books to work, I didn't like that they didn't feature a lot of the characters at all and we have to wait until the next book to find out what they were during while all of feast for crows was going on.

I think part of my problem with it was that most of my favorite characters got cut to the next book, so I'm really looking forward to that one. By all accounts dance with dragons should be out before the end of the year *crosses fingers*

I don't know what was different about this book from the rest. I mean, he's still an amazing writer and the characters and plot and conversation were still top notch, I just didn't have the 'I can't put this down" feeling that the others gave me. It may have been denser and that I wasn't as 'connected' to a lot of the new voices. I mean, who wants to hear Cersei whine anyway? but it took me much longer to plow through feast for crows than any of the previous books.

(and darn it alarra, stop posting, you have far too much packing to do)

Steve_the_ERB
2006-07-13, 04:15 PM
One more thing that really puzzles me: What is The Gift? On the map, it's the line below the three castles of the Wall. Really what is it?

I'll actually try to answer the original question here since I don't think anyone's covered it yet. The Gift is the all the land north of said line given to the black brothers for their support. So basically their fief. Its discussed in one of the later books that the Gift is actually two parts: the Kings gift and Brandon's gift (I believe, going on memory here). The Kings gift was the initial land grant of the land closest to the Wall and then at some later time one of the multitude of Brandon Starks extended the area further south.

OffSide7
2006-07-14, 12:41 AM
Am I the only one who likes Sansa best?

TinSoldier
2006-07-14, 12:45 AM
Am I the only one who likes Sansa best?Yeah. Pretty much. ::)

Alarra
2006-07-14, 01:08 AM
She's growing on me.

DMgrinder
2006-07-14, 01:18 AM
I'll actually try to answer the original question here since I don't think anyone's covered it yet. The Gift is the all the land north of said line given to the black brothers for their support. So basically their fief. Its discussed in one of the later books that the Gift is actually two parts: the Kings gift and Brandon's gift (I believe, going on memory here). The Kings gift was the initial land grant of the land closest to the Wall and then at some later time one of the multitude of Brandon Starks extended the area further south.

Aha! Thanks.

Can you tell me what order the books are in? Is it:
1 Game of Thrones
2 Clash of Kings
3 Storm of Swords
4 Feast for Crows
5 Dance with Dragons

Alarra
2006-07-14, 01:24 AM
yes, that is the correct order.

InaVegt
2006-07-14, 09:44 PM
I think this is a book I should read but I know no place to buy it (don't start amazon, shipping costs are insane)

((Oh and Allara, shouldn't you be packing))

Bookman
2006-07-14, 10:13 PM
ummmm Here (http://www.georgerrmartin.com/) is his site for a sampling.......maybe you could check your local books stores.......I think they're in your langague now. (could be wrong)

((Yes Allara go pack NOW :P Digging the new avvie btw))

InaVegt
2006-07-15, 10:58 AM
I just "skillfully aquired" A game of thrones, A clash of kings and A storm of swords and finished the prologue of A game of thrones, pretty nice so far.

Flabbicus
2006-07-15, 11:22 AM
I hate Cersei with a passion and hated Sansa almost as much up to the 3rd book.

Favorite Characters (In some kind of order):

Bran
Arya
Tyrion
Aemon Targaryen (The Maester)
Davos
Beric
Samwell Tarly
John Snow
Eddard
Jaqen H'ghar

Valar Morghulis

Don Beegles
2006-07-15, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Jaqen H'ghar, what is up with that guy? I kjnew that he was something strange since the instant I met him, but what with the crazy things he did and all, I'm just left with a look of blank misunderstanding.

Flabbicus
2006-07-15, 01:21 PM
But who doesn't like a guy who can turn his face into whatever he wants at will? And kill so efficiently.

Don Beegles
2006-07-15, 02:58 PM
Yes, indeed, he is very cool, and it's creepy that Biter and Rorch, Rodge, well I forget teh otehr one's naem, but it's creepy that they're afraid of him. It does not bode well for whoever last offended Arya when she cashes in that coin.

Valar Morghulis

Flabbicus
2006-07-15, 03:31 PM
Biter and Rorch were really freaky.
[spoiller]There are some weird theories going around about Jon Snow and his parents... including some Targaryens :o. but they make some sense[/spoiler]

Don Beegles
2006-07-15, 03:52 PM
That is actually my personal feeling about JOn's mother. In the appendix to the first book it mentioned that Targaryens traditionally ahve violet eyes, and in the one instance where Ned reminisces about Jon's motehr, it mentions her violet eyes. Though I don't see how we'll find out now. That is something I reall like about this series: the plot and its twists don't hinge on some secret that is being held ver our head, unless that changes later. As of yet, the people and their actions drive what happens and teh few secrets there are (What is the Song of Ice and Fire?, Who is Jon's Mother?) aren't really important.

EDIT:Well, that's strange. Does anyone know why that happens?

Flabbicus
2006-07-16, 09:22 AM
Because it takes second tier next to the overarching plot.

One site claimed that Jon's mom was Eddard's sister and his father was the Dragonknight. It actually makes sense though because they provide evidence of the flowers she like popping up everywhere, and he looks like Arya who looks like her.

Dr._Weird
2006-07-27, 11:50 PM
The DRAGONKNIGHT? He is both dead and a couple hundred years older than Lyanna. The theory is that Jon is the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

This is currently my favorite series, and I'm reading it for the second time now.

I hate Sansa with a passion. Alayne is a bit better. A bit. Robert is the most disgusting thing ever.

My favorite character would have to be either Hodor, Bran, or Arya.

Edit: The child. I loved the King.

Flabbicus
2006-07-27, 11:51 PM
^ They call him that as well. And someone actually knows it too!

I agree with your synopsis Dr. Weird.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-07-28, 12:16 AM
I can be added to the list of those growing to like Sansa. In my case, I couldn't stand her originally, but I find that she's developing into a much more interesting character.

*SPOILERS BELOW*
Part of my like for her stems from what I think she's growing into as much as the way she is in the most recent book. After her father dies and she realises how evil Joffrey is, she starts to develop that reknowned Stark stubborn streak/backbone, which is a nice change. Also, she's starting to get ahold of some really impressive instincts and talent when it comes to political maneuvering - she had some of the basics from her upbringing and her own personality, which were greatly honed in order for her to survive in King's Landing after Cersei took over. She's also been closely connected with many of the greatest schemers and connivers of the series - Cersei, Tyrion, and Braelish. Braelish in particular has more or less taken her under his wing and is teaching her to a certain extent. It's my opinion that once she fully comes into her own, Sansa may be the most powerful surviving Stark - Jon is, of course, a great leader and warrior, but is limited by his vows as a member of the Watch. Arya will be a badass assassin for certain, making her the most dangerous on a personal level. But Sansa, between her birthright and the political education she's getting the hard way, will be able to shake kingdoms. Just my take on it, anyways.

On the other hand, Arya has dropped in my list of favorites over time, just because I find her at times to be very pig-headed about things.

My other favorites, sort of in order:

Tyrion
Asha
Jon Snow
Dany
Davos
Ser Barristan Selmy

Don Beegles
2006-07-28, 10:53 AM
meh, I can understand why people like Sansa, though she's never really struck me as quite that n=interesting, especially because there are so many other characters who could be considered so much more so.

I more or less agree with Gorbash's list of favorite characters, though I can't recall who Asha is, if she's even been introduced as of ASoS. Tyrion, I think has dropped slightly as of the end of ASoS because of his callous actions, which seem more or less unjusitifed from what I'd seen of him before then, but I think he's still up there in the list.

Dr._Weird
2006-07-28, 11:23 AM
Asha was introduced in ACoK. She's Theon's Sister and Balon's daughter.

For some reason, everyone thinks Arya has personal issues. What nobody will acknowledge is that shes nine. Given what she's gone through, she would be a little messed up. She's not a bad person.

Flabbicus
2006-07-28, 11:41 AM
I personally like Theon's uncle, Victarion. Not only does he have a cool name, a valid reason for revenge and loyal men, he's also not as crazy as the Crow's-Eye.

After reading the latest book I have to say that everyone is after Dany, I was wondering, who do you think she is most likely to end up with? I believe the Watch will take her and she will go with Jon Stark.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-07-28, 11:52 AM
For some reason, everyone thinks Arya has personal issues. What nobody will acknowledge is that shes nine. Given what she's gone through, she would be a little messed up. She's not a bad person.
Oh, I don't think she's a bad person, and the fact that she's 9 or so certainly balances out some of my problems with her actions and attitudes - she is just a kid. Still, at times I can't help but find her irritating. Plus, to be honest, I found the latest part of her story rather dull. It's not that I don't like her, I just find myself liking other characters more at this point in the story.

Flabbicus
2006-07-28, 11:56 AM
The characters seem to change in terms of how interesting they are for each separate chapter. Many of the chapters are somewhat boring, but that does not detract from the characters themselves.

Don Beegles
2006-07-28, 09:09 PM
Though I must say, from what I've seen, Martin can make just about any character interesting and compleeing by just giving them a chapter, or even talking about them in a chapter. He has a knack for giving them background and personality beyond what meets the eye. I have little doubt that if I turned teh Page adn saw Hodor and the chapter consisted of little more than "Hodor, hodor, hodor, HODor, Hodooooor" I would come away feeling that I'd learned alot about him and reall yunderstood why he did waht he did.

You know, that brings up something else that's been bugging me: what is the significance of Hodor? It's not his real name, and I have a feeling that there may be some reason behind it. Though the series so far hasn't been characterized by revelations regarding little tiny bits of trivia, so that could jsut be my Overdeveloped Suspense Sense tingling.

EDIT: What is the Color Code for SpoilerText? I thought it was Beige, but I have a feeling that funny blue color shouldn't be showing up.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-07-28, 09:31 PM
EDIT: What is the Color Code for SpoilerText? I thought it was Beige, but I have a feeling that funny blue color shouldn't be showing up.

Spoilers - A special use of color tags is to mask spoiler information in a post. In posts with a white background, either of the following tags work:

Spoiler text. or Spoiler text.
Spoiler text. or Spoiler text.
However, in half the posts the background color is different. For these posts, the following color code is used:

Spoiler text.
Spoiler text.
Alternatively, placing the text in a quote will allow it to be masked the same way in any post.

Spoiler text.

Don Beegles
2006-07-31, 03:49 PM
Well, I just finished AFFC, and I have some thoughts, especially regarding Cersei.

First assuming that things don't turn out how they look and Cersei survives the trial, what do you thin kare the chances that Sansa/Alayne, not Margaery is the younger and more beautiful queen who supplants her. IUf Littlefinger's plan works, and the Lords of the North and the Vale both rally around her banner, she could defeat the Iron Throne.

I also wonder which Lannister twin is older. If it is Cersei, which I suspect, though I don't recall if it's ever explicitly stated, than Jamie could be the valonqar, which would make sense after he recently began his ascent back to honor.

Finally, how much of Wat's story do you think is true? I'm almost certain that Renly wasn't the only guy Margaery knew, or she wouldn't have been so adamant that she was a maiden. Personally, I think the other one is Ser Loras, but I couldn't say for sure; the only tiume it's even been implied is in Cersei's chapters, and Cersei was looking for some dirt o-n the real Queen anyway, so of course she would think the worst.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-07-31, 05:14 PM
Given the popularity of this series, I'm going to start a spoiler thread for it so we can discuss things without having to blank so much text.

Respone to Don found here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=media;action=display;num=1154381808) . Warning! Spoilers contained therein.