PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Prestige Class] The Face of God

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 02:45 PM
This is the skeleton of the new face of god prestige class. It is far from done and I will continue working on it. Please help with little things like spelling and grammar, as well as any larger thing.

The Face of God

Hit Die: d8
Requirements:

Spells: Ability to cast 5th level divine spells
Skills: Knowledge (relgion) 13, Knowledge (the planes) 6
Feats: True Believer (CD 86), Sanctify Relic (CD 84)
Class Feature: Ability to turn/rebuke undead
Special: Must have created at least one relic of the player's chosen deity

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Exemplar of Faith, Mantle of Divinity Lesser|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mantle of Divinity Lesser|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mantle of Divinity Greater, Rebuke the Unfaithful|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mantle of Divinity Greater|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mantle of Divinity Supreme|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per class level) Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Spellcasting: Each time a new Face of God level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Face of God to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a Face of God, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Face of God for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Exemplar of Faith [Ex]: Face of Gods have fully developed their connection with their deity and have earned the blessing of their deity. At first level the Face of God gains access to all of the domains of their deity.
Lesser Mantle of Divinity (Su): Spoilered for Size At first level, a Face of God gains one lesser mantle of divinity (see below). Depending on the alignment of the character's deity he takes on a different form. A Face of God gains this ability by permanently eliminating one existing spell slot of fifth level or higher.

At second level the Face of God may sacrifice another spell slot of fifth level or higher to gain another mantle of divinity. In addition to the power granted by the mantle, the Face of God gains the ability to take on the aspect of one of his deity's favored creatures; the creature chosen is determined by the deity's alignment, as listed below. He may assume this aspect as a standard action and remain in the form for a total of 1 round per class level each day. This ability is not a polymorph effect and grants only the benefits listed below. His size and type do not change, only his visual appearance.

Lawful Good
Aspect of the Couatl: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +4 sacred bonus to his Strength and Charisma scores. In addition, he gains a Bite attack that he may use at the end of a full attack action (at a -5 penalty) or as a single standard action attack (at no penalty). The bite deals 1d3 damage (plus 1½ Strength Modifier) for a medium creature, and injects the victim with a weakening poison. The Fortitude DC to resist this poison is equal to (14 + the Face of God's Constitution modifier). The initial effect deals 2d4 Strength damage, and the secondary effect deals another 4d4 Str damage.

Chaotic Good
Aspect of the Eladrin: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +4 sacred bonus to his Strength and Charisma scores. He is also wreathed in flame which causes all of his melee attacks to deal an additional 1d6 damage, and gains a fiery gaze attack which he can wield as a standard action. This gaze is a supernatural ability that causes the affected creature to burst into flame, taking 2d6 points of fire damage (no save.) The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw of DC (14 + the Face of God's Charisma modifier) or be blinded as per blindness/deafness spell.

Neutral Good
Aspect of the Hollyphant: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +6 sacred bonus to his Strength scores. He also gains 2 Slam attacks which each deal 1d8 (plus Strength modifier) damage for a medium creature. As well, he grows a long, prehensile trunk in the place of his nose; this trunk can make a sonic blast three times a day. The sonic blast is a supernatural ability that creates a 30 ft. cone of thunderous noise. All affected creatures must make a Fortitude saving throw of DC (13 + the Face of God's Charisma modifier) or take 2d10 points of sonic damage and be stunned for 1 round. Success halves the damage and eliminates the stunning affect.

Chaotic Neutral
Aspect of the Gray Slaad: While in this form the Face of God gains a +4 sacred bonus to Str and Con. He gains a claw attack that deals 2d4 + Str damage. He also gains fast healing 5 for as long as he retains this form.

Lawful Neutral
Aspect of the Zelekhut: While in this form the Face of God gains immunity to critical hits, and all mind-affecting effects. The Face of God also gains 2 attacks with spiked chains that he may use as a full attack. These attacks each deal 2d6 + Str + 1d6 electricity damage.

Neutral
Aspect of the Storm Elemental: (MM3 48) While in this form the Face of God gains the ability to once per day as a free action deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 10ft. This attack does 10d4 nonlethal electricity damage. This attack allows a DC (20 + Face of God's Con modifier) for half damage. In addition the high priest gains a slam attack that deals 3d6 + Str + 2d6 electricity damage.

Lawful Evil
Aspect of the Bone Devil:While in this form the Face of God gains a +4 profane bonus to Str and Con. The Face of GOd also gains a sting attack that he may use as part of a full attack. This attack deals 3d4 + 1/2 Str damage and delivers a weakening poison. This poison can be resisted with a DC (15 + Face of God's Con modifier). The initial damage is 1d6 Str damage and the secondary damage is 2d6 Str damage.

Chaotic Evil
Aspect of the Vrock:While in this form the Face of God gains a claw attack that deals 2d6 + Str damage. The Face of God also gains the ability to release spores every 3 rounds. These spores deal 1d8 damage to all creatures adjacent to the Face of God and continue to grow dealing 1d4 damage for the next 5 rounds. A delay poison spell stops the spores' growth during for its duration. A bless, neutralize poison, or, remove disease spell kills the spores. As does sprinkling holy water on them. The Face of God in this form may once per day emit a piercing screech that causes all non-demons with 15ft. to make a DC (15 + Face of God's Con modifier) or be stunned for 1 round.

Neutral Evil
Aspect of the Nycaloth: (MM3 202)While in this form the Face of God gains a +6 profane bonus to Constitution. The Face of God gains 2 claw attacks that he can use as a full attack action. These claws deal 1d6 +1 1/2 Str damage and cause the wounded to bleed uncontrollably. These wounds continue to deal 1 damage each round (multiple hits are cumulative) until a DC 15 heal check has been made or there has been an application of healing magic. These wounds stop bleeding 5 rounds after the Face of God's transformation ends.

The DM may also rule that the Face of God can transform into a monster based on the high priest's deity. Such as a worshiper of Tiamat gaining the aspect of a young black dragon or a similar change.

Greater Mantle of Divinity:

At 3rd level the Face of God has the option to sacrifice a 7th, or higher, level spell slot to gain a greater mantle of divinity.

At 4th level a Face of God gains another greater mantle (for which he must sacrifice a spell slot 7th level or higher). The Face of God also gains the ability to take on the aspect of a more powerful creature, this ability replaces the ability gained at 2nd level.

Lawful Good
Aspect of the Astra Deva: While in this the form Face of God gains a +6 sacred bonus to Str and Cha. All of the Face of God's allies within 10ft. of him gain a +2 sacred bonus to armor class, and a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws, against attacks, and spells originating from evil creatures. The Face of God gains damage reduction 5/evil and resistance to acid 5, cold 5, fire 5, and electricity 5. While in this form if the Face of God hits twice in a round his victim must make a DC (16 + Face of God's Str Modifier) or be stunned for 1 round.

Chaotic Good
Aspect of the Ghaele: While in this form a Face of God gains a +8 sacred bonus to Str. All of the Face of God's allies within 10ft. of him gain a +2 sacred bonus to armor class, and a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws, against attacks, and spells originating from evil creatures. The Face of God gains a light ray attack while in this form, its range is 150ft., it strikes as a ranged touch attack and deal 2d12 points of damage. The Face of God gains damage reduction 5/evil and resistance to acid 5, cold 5, fire 5, and electricity 5.

Neutral Good
Aspect of the Leonal: While in this form the Face of God gains a +6 sacred bonus to Str and Con. All of the Face of God's allies within 10ft. of him gain a +2 sacred bonus to armor class, and a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws, against attacks, and spells originating from evil creatures. The Face of God gains 2 claw attacks each of which deals 1d6 + Face of God's Str modifer. The Face of God also gains the pounce abiltiy; this ability allows the Face of God to make a full attack after a charge. The Face of God also gains damage reduction 5/evil and resistance to acid 5, cold 5, fire 5, and electricity 5.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 02:46 PM
Mantles of Divinity:
Each time a character gains a mantle of divinity he may choose from a list of mantles based on the category of mantle (lesser, greater, or supreme) and the deity of the Face of God.

Lesser Mantles:

Bahamut:
Resistance: a character with this mantle gains a +1 sacred bonus on all saving throws.
Strength: a number of times per day equal to a Face of God's class levels the high priest may take a standard action to gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength for 1 round.
Courage: a high priest with this mantle gains immunity to fear.

Boccob:
Foresight: a character with this mantle casts all divination spells with a +1 bonus to caster level.
Knowledge: a character with this mantle gains a +2 sacred bonus on all knowledge checks
Secret Lore: this ability functions as the loremaster ability, 'Secret' except for the fact that you use Face of God level + Int modifier to determine which secret you know.
Speical this mantle may be taken multiple times.

Corellon Larethian:
Longsword Finesse: this mantle gives the high priest a +1 sacred bonus on all attack rolls with the longsword.
Special this mantle may be taken multiple times, its effects stack
Free Thought: this mantle gives a sacred bonus equal to 1/2 the character's Face of God level on all saves against magical compulsions.
Perception: a character with this mantle gains a +2 sacred bonus on search, spot, and listen checks. In addition this mantle grants the high priest automatic searching in a 5ft. radius as if the character were an elf. If the character is already an elf the radius of this ability increases to 10ft.

Ehlonna:
Woodland Wanderer: the Face of God with this mantle moves normally through all forms of undergrowth and cannot be tracked by non-magical means.
Wild Empathy: the Face of God with this mantle gains the wild empathy class feature as if he were a druid of 1/2 his character level.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 02:48 PM
My pet peeve - unless you give this really strict requirements, there should never be any class that grants full spellcasting and turning progression to a Cleric. I'm aware there already are a few, but they really have no right to exist. Prestige classes should be an alternative, not a direct power boost, for one of the best classes in the game.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 02:51 PM
Yes I thought it would be overpowered so I think I will cut out the turning increase.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 03:02 PM
I'm also gonna throw in that with these class features, you should seriously consider docking a spellcasting level at whatever level you give spontaneous domain conversion. Trickery Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#trickeryDomain) plus Spont. Domain Conversion? Huge. And it's not the only one like that.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 03:05 PM
I'm also gonna throw in that with these class features, you should seriously consider docking a spellcasting level at whatever level you give spontaneous domain conversion. Trickery Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#trickeryDomain) plus Spont. Domain Conversion? Huge. And it's not the only one like that.

Oh yeah :smallredface: time stop at will could turn out to be a bit of a problem :smalleek: I may just remove the spontaneous conversion all together. . .

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 04:01 PM
I'm probably going to need help making all the mantles . . .

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 04:09 PM
When you say 'take on the form of', are the only non-visual changes what you list there, or do they also gain the creature's stats and size or what?

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 04:11 PM
When you say 'take on the form of', are the only non-visual changes what you list there, or do they also gain the creature's stats and size or what?

Yes I should probably make that more clear, but the only abilities you gain are those listed in the description.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-06, 06:13 PM
I don't see the requirements listed for this class. Have you removed them or not yet done them? If you haven't done them, you might want to consider something like this:

Spells: Able to cast 5th-level divine spells
Class feature: Turn or rebuke undead
Skills: Knowledge (religion) or Knowledge (the planes) 13 ranks

The class feature ensures that only clerics will take it, the 5th level spells gets you to nine cleric levels, and the Knowledge requirement solidly locks one in at ten character levels before you can qualify. I thought given the Mantle of Divinity ability, knowing a lot about religion or other planes would probably be a reasonable requirement.

Speaking of which, I like Mantle of Divinity. Very cool.

I'd also add Knowledge (the planes) to their skill list.

Finally, you might consider a name which better suits the class. I wish I had some good suggestions. "High priest" sounds really generic, but there's a clear focus on a flicker of divinity within one's self and the ability to embody an outsider examplar of one's alignment. A name which would reflect that could add a lot, I think.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 06:19 PM
I don't see the requirements listed for this class. Have you removed them or not yet done them? If you haven't done them, you might want to consider something like this:

Spells: Able to cast 5th-level divine spells
Class feature: Turn or rebuke undead
Skills: Knowledge (religion) or Knowledge (the planes) 13 ranks

The class feature ensures that only clerics will take it, the 5th level spells gets you to nine cleric levels, and the Knowledge requirement solidly locks one in at ten character levels before you can qualify. I thought given the Mantle of Divinity ability, knowing a lot about religion or other planes would probably be a reasonable requirement.

Speaking of which, I like Mantle of Divinity. Very cool.

I'd also add Knowledge (the planes) to their skill list.

Finally, you might consider a name which better suits the class. I wish I had some good suggestions. "High priest" sounds really generic, but there's a clear focus on a flicker of divinity within one's self and the ability to embody an outsider examplar of one's alignment. A name which would reflect that could add a lot, I think.

Yes, I hadn't got around to prereqs yet, but I think they will be basically what you posted (and now that you mention it I will change the skills). I do need a better name, but as of yet have been unable to think of one, but soon I will change the name! Thanks for the help :smallsmile:

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 06:20 PM
The Face of God.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 06:21 PM
The Face of God.

Interesting O.o I think I will change the name to that :smallbiggrin:!
EDIT: Is there a way to do find and replace . . .

The Neoclassic
2009-08-06, 06:26 PM
The Face of God.

I think you win my Awesomely Helpful Person of the Week nomination. You're just full of excellent ideas for us fellow homebrewers. :smallsmile:

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 07:05 PM
There, added requirements, basically what you said Neoclassic, with a few tweeks!

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 07:30 PM
The Face of God
Hit Die: d8
Requirements:

Spells: Able to cast 5th level divine spells.
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 13 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks
Feats: True Believer (CD 86), Sanctify Relic (CD 84)
Class Feature: Ability to turn/rebuke undead
Special: Must have created at least one relic of the player's chosen deity

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Exemplar of Faith, Mantle of Divinity Lesser|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mantle of Divinity Lesser|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mantle of Divinity Greater, Rebuke the Unfaithful|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mantle of Divinity Greater|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mantle of Divinity Supreme|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per class level) Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Spellcasting: Each time a new Face of God level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Face of God to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a Face of God, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Face of God for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Exemplar of Faith [Ex]: Face of Gods have fully developed their connection with their deity and have earned the blessing of their deity. At first level the Face of God gains access to all of the domains of their deity.
Mantle of Divinity (Su): At first level, a Face of God gains one lesser mantle of divinity (see below). Depending on the alignment of the character's deity he takes on a different form. A Face of God gains this ability by permanently eliminating one existing spell slot of fifth level or higher.

At second level the Face of God may sacrifice another spell slot of fifth level or higher to gain another mantle of divinity. In addition to the power granted by the mantle, the Face of God gains the ability to take on the aspect of one of his deity's favored creatures; the creature chosen is determined by the deity's alignment, as listed below. He may assume this aspect as a standard action and remain in the form for a total of 1 round per class level each day. This ability is not a polymorph effect and grants only the benefits listed below. His size and type do not change, only his visual appearance.

Lawful Good
Aspect of the Couatl: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +4 sacred bonus to his Strength and Charisma scores. In addition, he gains a Bite attack that he may use at the end of a full attack action (at a -5 penalty) or as a single standard action attack (at no penalty). The bite deals 1d3 damage (plus 1½ Strength Modifier) for a medium creature, and injects the victim with a weakening poison. The Fortitude DC to resist this poison is equal to (14 + the Face of God's Constitution modifier). The initial effect deals 2d4 Strength damage, and the secondary effect deals another 4d4 Str damage.

Chaotic Good
Aspect of the Eladrin: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +4 sacred bonus to his Strength and Charisma scores. He is also wreathed in flame which causes all of his melee attacks to deal an additional 1d6 damage, and gains a fiery gaze attack which he can wield as a standard action. This gaze is a supernatural ability that causes the affected creature to burst into flame, taking 2d6 points of fire damage (no save.) The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw of DC (14 + the Face of God's Charisma modifier) or be blinded as per blindness/deafness spell.

Neutral Good
Aspect of the Hollyphant: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +6 sacred bonus to his Strength scores. He also gains 2 Slam attacks which each deal 1d8 (plus Strength modifier) damage for a medium creature. As well, he grows a long, prehensile trunk in the place of his nose; this trunk can make a sonic blast three times a day. The sonic blast is a supernatural ability that creates a 30 ft. cone of thunderous noise. All affected creatures must make a Fortitude saving throw of DC (13 + the Face of God's Charisma modifier) or take 2d10 points of sonic damage and be stunned for 2 rounds. Success halves the damage and the duration of the stun effect.

Did some rewording and stuff for the early part of your class. Just looking at these three, the Hollyphant is way better than the other two, and just... no-save you're stunned, save and you're still stunned is way too much, while the other two are kind of bleh.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-06, 07:42 PM
Neutral Good
Aspect of the Hollyphant: While in this form, the Face of God gains a +6 sacred bonus to his Strength scores. He also gains 2 Slam attacks which each deal 1d8 (plus Strength modifier) damage for a medium creature. As well, he grows a long, prehensile trunk in the place of his nose; this trunk can make a sonic blast three times a day. The sonic blast is a supernatural ability that creates a 30 ft. cone of thunderous noise. All affected creatures must make a Fortitude saving throw of DC (13 + the Face of God's Charisma modifier) or take 2d10 points of sonic damage and be stunned for 2 rounds. Success halves the damage and the duration of the stun effect.

I can see several possible ways of lessening this power. Pick those which you feels fit best:
Remove or lower the strength bonus.
Have a Fort save allow you to ignore, rather than just lessening, the damage.
Reduce the sonic ability to usable once per day.
Remove one or both slam attacks.
Change the sonic damage to 2d6.
Remove the stun effect.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 07:45 PM
I would reduce the stun to only activate on a failed save, make the DC scale, and make the stun only one round.

A pet peeve of mine is class abilities with DCs that don't scale. It makes them useless except to show off in 5 levels, and it hurts a lot of really cool PrCs. Better to have weaker effects and higher DCs.

And thanks for the award, by the way, Neo. :D

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 07:45 PM
There, I think the hollyphant is more balance now.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-06, 08:03 PM
There, I think the hollyphant is more balance now.

Looks better. :smallsmile:

I might also suggest that, for ease of reading, you use a formatting more like AstralFire's suggestion. Also, perhaps you could have three different spoilers, one each for Lesser, Greater, and Supreme mantles.

zarakstan
2009-08-06, 08:33 PM
I'm doing serious reworking based on Astral Fire's suggestions. :smallbiggrin:

zarakstan
2009-08-07, 01:14 PM
I would be most indebted to whomever helped me with the mantles of divinity !