PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear sweet beejeebees!!!

iwarriorpoet
2009-08-06, 03:11 PM
Edited for content.
Stupid tangent----I am (or was) a fan of the comic 'For Better or Worse'. I say 'was' because I am deeply saddened that she abandoned her mature storylines and has dialed it back to the family's beginning. I believe she did this because she (or her publishers/editors) were worried that her storylines were too involved for the average newcomer to be able to get interested in.

How is this related to OOTS? I freakin' love that Mr. Burlew is able to write on so many levels simultaneously. His storylines progress with intricacies and twists a plenty---but he still entertains with basic vaudeville/comic/d20 humor. And----he shows no signs of slowing down/changing his style.

Huzzah!!!

littlequietguy
2009-08-06, 03:15 PM
Psst... Read the forum rules.

This subject of "when will the update come?" is kinda discouraged.

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-06, 03:17 PM
In addition, we include a few barred topics that are specific to these forums. These particular topics are barred as they have been found to be generally inflammatory and do not contribute anything useful to the forum as a whole.

Missed/Late Comics: Threads speculating on when a comic will be posted or why it may be late will be locked; this does not apply to official threads started by site staff providing notification of a late comic. This applies to both Order of the Stick and Erfworld.

There you go.

Also see here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120697)

iwarriorpoet
2009-08-06, 03:18 PM
Crud. I took a quick glance through and didn't see it. I kinda guessed it might be.
Again---not complaining. Just quivering with anticipation...

littlequietguy
2009-08-06, 03:19 PM
Crud. I took a quick glance through and didn't see it. I kinda guessed it might be.
Again---not complaining. Just quivering with anticipation...

I recommend you delete your thread before it is deleted for you.

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-06, 03:20 PM

You cannot delete your threads, as far as I'm aware.

iwarriorpoet
2009-08-06, 03:21 PM
I edited it.

NerfTW
2009-08-06, 03:38 PM
Edited for content.
Stupid tangent----I am (or was) a fan of the comic 'For Better or Worse'. I say 'was' because I am deeply saddened that she abandoned her mature storylines and has dialed it back to the family's beginning. I believe she did this because she (or her publishers/editors) were worried that her storylines were too involved for the average newcomer to be able to get interested in.

Actually, she went back because she was in the exact same position she was in when she started the comic. The characters just had different names by the end of it. And she'd have to kill the parents off soon, they were getting pretty old.

And you really can't compare a 30 year daily comic to Order of the Stick.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 03:39 PM

I mean no offense, especially since you aren't the only one I've seen do this, but why do people suggest to other members that they deleted their thread if it's not possible.

EDIT: Well, maybe if you frequent a forum where this is possible, I guess.

Starscream
2009-08-06, 03:45 PM
I'm still okay with FBOFW. What I have a problem with is Funky Winkerbean.

I used to love that strip. Even when they dealt with more serious stuff it was funny.

Now it's the single most depressing thing in the newspaper. The obituary pages are more uplifting. I'd get more yuks from a story about a boatload of kittens hitting an iceberg.

littlequietguy
2009-08-06, 03:52 PM
I mean no offense, especially since you aren't the only one I've seen do this, but why do people suggest to other members that they deleted their thread if it's not possible.

EDIT: Well, maybe if you frequent a forum where this is possible, I guess.

Epic fail on my part apparently.

Blame it on "my immortal". I peeked at the first chapter causing temporary brain damage.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 04:00 PM

Blame it on "my immortal". I peeked at the first chapter causing temporary brain damage.

You poor soul.

The good news is that if you survive the night, you'll be fine.

Zanaril
2009-08-06, 05:14 PM

I vaguely recognise that title... it's a fanfic, right?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 05:18 PM
I vaguely recognise that title... it's a fanfic, right?

In only the loosest sense of the term.

It's more like taking Harry Potter, killing everyone, and replacing them with whiny 'goffiks'.

And then ignoring everything you didn't kill.

And then typoing everything, including the main character's name. SO much so that the improper spelling is more common than the proper one.

It deserves the title it got (Worst Fanfic Ever).

Pip
2009-08-06, 05:19 PM
Edited for content.

Naw. She's just getting too old to do it anymore.

Wiki has a pretty good write-up on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Better_or_For_Worse

Zanaril
2009-08-06, 05:20 PM
In only the loosest sense of the term.

It's more like taking Harry Potter, killing everyone, and replacing them with whiny 'goffiks'.

And then ignoring everything you didn't kill.

And then typoing everything, including the main character's name. SO much so that the improper spelling is more common than the proper one.

It deserves the title it got (Worst Fanfic Ever).

I thank you for not providing a link, becuase there's no way I could have resisted clicking it.

Timberboar
2009-08-06, 05:35 PM
I'd get more yuks from a story about a boatload of kittens hitting an iceberg.

To be fair, that would be hilarious.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 05:41 PM
I thank you for not providing a link, becuase there's no way I could have resisted clicking it.

And I'm glad you said that, because I can't resist this. (http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com)

Sequinox
2009-08-06, 05:47 PM
About My Immortal...

The link here (http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/chapters122.htm) is parody, right? Not the real thing?

EDIT: Oh dear God above, I read some of it.

I thought it made some sense right up until I realized everyone was Goth, Harry Potter's new name was Vampire, and Draco Malfoy was bi. I forced myself on to the next chapter and when it brought up everything else... Well, I kinda skipped over the part where she finds that out once I realized what was going on... And, well, I'll never insult Twilight again. I've now read a bad fanfic.

I've never really been disturbed before. I mean, sure, I've heard some disgusting stuff, but I've never been honest to god disturbed before. That did it.

Zanaril
2009-08-06, 05:48 PM
And I'm glad you said that, because I can't resist this. (http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com)

My willpower has obviously increased recently. I haven't clicked that link yet.

Edit: Still haven't.

Edit: I kinda hovered over it, but managed to move the mouse before I clicked.

Edit: I'm leaving this thread never to come back, lest I be tempted.

mikeejimbo
2009-08-06, 05:48 PM
Well, My Immortal is kind of bad on purpose, isn't it? I mean, it's supposed to essentially be a fanfic satire, from what I gather.

I hope.

I am kind of sad about For Better or For Worse, myself. I think it would have made a better story to continue on.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 06:06 PM
Well, My Immortal is kind of bad on purpose, isn't it? I mean, it's supposed to essentially be a fanfic satire, from what I gather.

I hope.

Nobody knows.

...I think we should get back on topic before the mods come along... <.<

Starscream
2009-08-06, 06:57 PM
The only strip I know of that did it right is Doonesbury. At first the characters were ageless, but then in 1983 the writer went on hiatus, learned to actually draw, produced a play about the characters, and then returned. Ever since then the characters have aged in real time.

Most of the original cast is now middle aged or older, but a new crop of youngsters has arisen. The old characters will probably never stop being the focus of the story (Trudeau has said he considers the strip a chronicle of the baby boomer generation), but now he can still focus on the younger characters from time to time in order to stay relevant.

choie
2009-08-06, 09:52 PM
Actually, she went back because she was in the exact same position she was in when she started the comic. The characters just had different names by the end of it. And she'd have to kill the parents off soon, they were getting pretty old.

Heh. The parents were, at the most, in their early sixties. (And probably early- to mid-fifties is more likely.) That's hardly "pretty old" or in imminent need of killing off!

Puns de León
2009-08-06, 10:09 PM
My willpower has obviously increased recently. I haven't clicked that link yet.

Edit: Still haven't.

Edit: I kinda hovered over it, but managed to move the mouse before I clicked.

Edit: I'm leaving this thread never to come back, lest I be tempted.

You should definitely read it, at least up to Chapter 5 or so. Dumbledore bursts in and delivers a line of epic proportions that I wouldn't suggest missing for all the world.

Cleverdan22
2009-08-07, 12:25 AM
Well, I just read it. That was...that was fantastic. It...I don't even know. It was the worst piece of crap ever to appear on my screen, and it was amazing.

But back on topic, yeah, Rich has done a really good job with transitioning from the humor to the serious and integrating the two. That's one of the main reasons why its my favorite webcomic.

Caffiene
2009-08-07, 01:27 AM
And I'm glad you said that, because I can't resist this.

You should definitely read it, at least up to Chapter 5 or so. Dumbledore bursts in and delivers a line of epic proportions that I wouldn't suggest missing for all the world.

Damn you both! :smalleek:

I was intruiged enough to take a look, then appalled enough that I tried to look for more info on whether or not it was a parody.... I ended up at TVTropes. That was 3 hours ago, and I only escaped because a trope linked back to GitP.

Now that Im back Id address the OP, but my only response is: I concur.

Mordaedil
2009-08-07, 06:31 AM
I just barfed in mouth a little. Thanks for that. :smalleek:

NerfTW
2009-08-07, 09:09 AM
Heh. The parents were, at the most, in their early sixties. (And probably early- to mid-fifties is more likely.) That's hardly "pretty old" or in imminent need of killing off!

Whups, I thought I remembered 70-early 80's. I can't believe I made that mistake despite knowing they were in their 30's when the comic started, and it's been 30 years.

Skorj
2009-08-07, 01:21 PM
And, well, I'll never insult Twilight again. I've now read a bad fanfic.

I thought the levels of quality were pretty clear. :smallbiggrin:

Erotic furry Star Trek fanfic > Twilight fanfic > Twilight > My Immortal

EDIT: My Immortal does deserve credit for inventing the word "triumelephantly". This leaves open the slight possibility that a worse fanfic could one day be written. :smalleek:

Zanaril
2009-08-07, 01:51 PM
Wait, wait, wait.

Wait.

Twilight fanfic is better than Twilight? Is that because twilight itself is just fanfic, and writing fanfic of fanfic cancels it out?:smallconfused:

Skorj
2009-08-07, 02:57 PM
Wait, wait, wait.

Wait.

Twilight fanfic is better than Twilight? Is that because twilight itself is just fanfic, and writing fanfic of fanfic cancels it out?:smallconfused:

Yes, it's well established that Twilight is the only (or only famous) published work that's actually worse than its own fanfic. :eek:

There's a nine million post thread over in "Media Discussions" (IIRC) about this. EDIT: that thread seems to have died with the pruning of older threads. However, there's a nice "HP vs Twilight" thread there for the venting of nerdrage.

RE-EDIT: OK, this post pretty much sums it up. :smallbiggrin:

... I'm pretty sure I could point to any random book in the place and truthfully declare that its author deserves money and fame more than Stephanie Meyer. Any given twelve year old fanfiction writer who is currently working on their opus "Ash Ketchum saves the Power Rangers with the help of Goku" is better.

Puns de León
2009-08-07, 05:24 PM
Damn you both! :smalleek:

Look on the bright side! Now, in your darkest moments, you'll find you'll be able to look back on this extraordinary fanfic for a giggle.

By the way, the title of this thread very neatly reflects the reactions many are now expressing.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-07, 05:52 PM
Erotic furry Star Trek fanfic > Twilight fanfic > Twilight > My Immortal

>42?

EDIT: My Immortal does deserve credit for inventing the word "triumelephantly". This leaves open the slight possibility that a worse fanfic could one day be written. :smalleek:

One would like to think that a misspelling of such oddness and comedic character would have to be intentional but sadly you can't tell.

Puns de León
2009-08-07, 06:21 PM
42 is the extreme on both ends, and also in the middle.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-07, 06:25 PM
42 is the extreme on both ends, and also in the middle.

What about the middle of the ends or the ends of the middle?

Menas
2009-08-07, 07:26 PM
I edited it.

This just in...

The people responsible for sacking the people that were originally sacked, have just been sacked.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-07, 08:11 PM
This just in...

The people responsible for sacking the people that were originally sacked, have just been sacked.

Then ground into Executive Powder?

cezyou
2009-08-07, 08:22 PM
What about the middle of the ends or the ends of the middle?

It's in all such places. Including the ones created by that statement and this one.

EDIt: Also, I now need a remove disease to cure the headache I got from reading My Immortal.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-07, 08:49 PM
It's in all such places. Including the ones created by that statement and this one.

EDIt: Also, I now need a remove disease to cure the headache I got from reading My Immortal.

Get some Torgo's Executive Powder.

Lurk-Sothoth
2009-08-07, 09:12 PM
I'm still okay with FBOFW. What I have a problem with is Funky Winkerbean.

I, for one, think FBOFW jumped the shark with the reboot. I was just starting to actually respect that comic when OH MY GOSH I don't even

And the stale men vs. women humor is so dated, it's like Lynn Johnston also dialed her brain back 40 years. :smallyuk:

I'm totally with you on Funky Winkerbean. I remember when that strip was hilarious! Good times, good times. It might have helped that I was a kid, but I always got a laugh out of the eternal rain at the battle of the bands gag, and everything else about Harry Dinkle. I can appreciate the new, mature storyline in some ways, but I miss the funny comic.

tomandtish
2009-08-08, 08:04 AM

Elly's found out she was pregnant with April on her 40th birthday, and April was born 4/1/91. Depending on how far along she was when she learned she was pregnant, this puts Elly's age at close of series/reboot at @58 (upper 57 to lower 59). Haven't been able to determine an age for John, but he's not a lot older.