PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Deceptive Magics...

arguskos
2009-08-06, 03:44 PM
So, I was reading through Cityscape recently, and came across the Deceptive Spell metamagic. Basically, it lets you redirect your spells so that it isn't clear YOU cast them (ie. that lightning bolt originates from somewhere else, not your hand, etc). I got to thinking about it, and figured that between Spell Thematics, Deceptive Spell, and Invisible Spell, there could be an awesome character in here somewhere.

Thoughts? Experiences using these metamagics?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-06, 09:20 PM
Changeling Beguiler spy/assassin. He specializes in causing other people to kill each other so he comes out on top. Think Michael Weston(Burn Notice) with mind control magic. Aside from the normal Invisible Spell abuse, you can make an Invisible Deceptive Spell to make sure the paranoid rich man's guards think someone else made his mistress kill him and just didn't hide it well enough. Snag Silent and Still, too, and the CS skill tricks to hide the signs.

Darrin
2009-08-06, 10:38 PM
So, I was reading through Cityscape recently, and came across the Deceptive Spell metamagic. Basically, it lets you redirect your spells so that it isn't clear YOU cast them (ie. that lightning bolt originates from somewhere else, not your hand, etc). I got to thinking about it, and figured that between Spell Thematics, Deceptive Spell, and Invisible Spell, there could be an awesome character in here somewhere.

Thoughts? Experiences using these metamagics?

Start with a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) Wizard/Sorcerer/Beguiler/Warlock, buy a human hireling Expert or Bard with Skill Focus: Perform (Acting). Pretend to be the familiar of the "human wizard". Convince the human hireling to promote himself as an "Arcane Duelist Extraordinaire!" (use Charm Person if need be), and challenge other wizards to a duel. Play up the rivalry, or cut your rival in on the deal. Cast some flashy spells, but the hireling takes a dive. Make sure you bet against yourself, and slink off to collect your profits. If need be, hire another hireling, rinse and repeat.