PDA

View Full Version : Giantitp gets twitchy with Firefox...

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-08-06, 06:46 PM
OK, I don't know if it's Firefox, or my underpowered netbook, but when I open up a tab, then try to open up Giantitp, the program stops responding. Sometimes it comes back on its own, other times it just shuts down the browser.

I'm using Firefox ver. 3.5.2, and Avast! antivirus. I have Mcafee Site Advisor running in the background.

I can flip between almost any other website with no problems, but once I come to Giantitp, everything locks up. This doesn't happen with Internet Explorer, just Firefox.

Any suggestions?

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 06:47 PM
How many addons do you have for FF?

arguskos
2009-08-06, 06:48 PM
Perhaps alerting Board Issues to this problem might be a good start? Unless you already have, and I'm just blind...

Alternatively, try using a third browser, such as Safari or Google Chrome.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-06, 06:49 PM
Doesn't happen with my Firefox. :smallconfused:

Erothayce
2009-08-06, 06:50 PM
Alternatively, try using a third browser, such as Safari or Google Chrome.

Blasphemy! But on topic, if your net book is underpowered try not running antivirus in the background and turn off some addons in forefox. that might help.

Starscream
2009-08-06, 06:51 PM
I'm using the same version of Firefox. I also have Avast and a ton of add-ons (although no Mcafee). I haven't been having any trouble.

What add-ons are you using specifically? Maybe one of them is causing it.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 06:53 PM
Mozilla Phoenix: Wow, this desktop is so big!
Mozilla Firebird: I'm so stable!
Mozilla Firefox: OMNOMNOMNOM RAM

I do use Firefox, but it's truuuuuuuue.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-06, 06:53 PM
I think it might be on your end, as I don't have the same problem (and I often have about 6 tabs open at a time).

It might be your anti-virus software, or you computer. I don't know, I'm not good with stuff like that. It might also be your add-ons. I know that when I had Ad Blocker Plus, Firefox kept crashing. I got rid of it (After reinstalling didn't help) and it stopped.

Recaiden
2009-08-06, 06:58 PM
I used to have that problem, turned off some of my add-ons and it went away. Which ones do you use?

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 07:11 PM
I use Firefox and don't have the problem...but then, I have like one add-on. :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-08-06, 07:19 PM
Add-ons include:

Java Quick Starter
McAfee Site Advisor
Skype Extension for Firefox
The Browser Highlighter

I just uninstalled The Browser Highlighter. Let me see how that works...

EDIT: Dumped the Browser Highlighter, problem went away...

skywalker
2009-08-06, 08:19 PM
Mozilla Phoenix: Wow, this desktop is so big!
Mozilla Firebird: I'm so stable!
Mozilla Firefox: OMNOMNOMNOM RAM

I do use Firefox, but it's truuuuuuuue.

The sad thing is that it didn't used to be that way. That's why so many people started switching to Firefox in the first place. Then they started trying to compete with iE on their own turf, and I think they lost a lot of what made them an attractive alternative. Firefox 3 eats about twice as much memory as I remember Firefox 1 eating...

Moff Chumley
2009-08-06, 08:29 PM
Hehehe.

*huggles Safari*

Trixie
2009-08-07, 11:32 AM
I think it might be on your end, as I don't have the same problem (and I often have about 6 tabs open at a time).

It might be your anti-virus software, or you computer. I don't know, I'm not good with stuff like that. It might also be your add-ons. I know that when I had Ad Blocker Plus, Firefox kept crashing. I got rid of it (After reinstalling didn't help) and it stopped.

6? :smallsigh:

I usually have 200+, sometimes all the way to 400-500.

Yeah, I tend to use internets rather extensively, what with my job and all.

And no, FF and AdblockPlus work fine (in fact, if not for Adblock, my transfers would be much larger than they already are, given the size and obnoxiety of ads these days) so yes, it's a problem on his end. I'd suggest wiping clean the cache while expanding it a bit, and see if that helps.

RS14
2009-08-07, 11:40 AM
6? :smallsigh:

I usually have 200+, sometimes all the way to 400-500.

Yeah, I tend to use internets rather extensively, what with my job and all.

How do you navigate? Is there some extension that lets you search by titles of the tab? How many windows and workspaces are those spread over?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-07, 11:41 AM
EDIT: Dumped the Browser Highlighter, problem went away...

Hooray! It's fixed!

Trixie
2009-08-07, 12:04 PM
How do you navigate? Is there some extension that lets you search by titles of the tab? How many windows and workspaces are those spread over?

Simply - I have (somewhat) good memory, and I remember where everything went (most of the time). If not, that page search feature introduced in 3.0 is a very good help if I need anything in hurry. Using any kind of manager would be actually counterproductive, as they only worsen the interface (AFAIK, of course).

As for the other question... I usually keep around 2-4 windows of about 40-80 tabs, but currently (I'm back from a trip, and my brother inflated the number a bit, while I'm too lazy to close most of that) I have 9 windows with around ~1100 tabs open (yeah, I know...) - as soon as I can be bothered to look at the other windows I'll probably close the lot of them, first making sure there was nothing important there.

Huh, I sometimes think that FF doesn't deserve that bad reputation of these days - it's usually the fault of other things, and yet, it's the browser that's being picked on. Looking on this thread - people add Java, Skype, Mbox, VM and they wonder why the FF is so slow... I can attest that properly kept up FF without the superfluous bits can still render 99.95% pages out there, while managing to handle hundreds of tabs at the same time, on a five year old box.

Even that 600 mb figure of used memory isn't a "real" indicator of how much memory it uses, and has little to do with number of opened pages - it's there for other reasons, mainly for speed, and yet, people talk about it like it was a real webpage cache problem (I'm going to stop here, as I'm beginning to sound too technical now). Seriously, 500-800 mb (when even a year laptop has usually 4+ gb of memory) is nothing, given ability to close and open FF with all that tabs on the fly, if you really need all of that 4 gb now.

So, no, I don't use any add ons except for a few select ones, mainly these that improve speed and memory usage (like Adblock, SkipPage, Skipscreen, etc.) and a few odds and ends (Dictionaries, Firebug, Forecastfox, etc.)

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-08-07, 03:07 PM
O.O

You use exactly the same setup as me. I run avast, mcafee site advisor, even down to firefox! I also use an acer hands on Netbook! (sans the FF addons)