PDA

View Full Version : A Contest To Get Help For My Plane!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-06, 09:02 PM
This plane. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6267268#post6267268)

Sadly, I never thought much of plant physiology-I'm more of a biologist. As such, I am stumped when coming up with creatures for the plane. I want you to help!

Rules:
You are to create a monster. It is to be appropriate for the Elemental Plane of Plants. Other material appropriate for that plane will be considered, and likely allowed.
All entries must be in by August 27th. At that point, voting will begin, lasting until September 3rd.
Votes by contestants will be ignored.
3.5 D&D, please.

Scoring:
Per vote: +4
Plant type OR (plant) subtype: +3
Interacts with either the inhabitants posted on the Plane of Plants or those of the Plane of Flesh (flavorwise is fine): +2
(flesh) subtype: -10
No flavor: -5

Also, I am just asking for help, not begging for it or whatever.

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 09:11 PM
Feel free to borrow the Barkhearts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6661298&postcount=4) or the Zeffi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6664354&postcount=14) if you like, though they have a different subtype I made up.

Kaihaku
2009-08-07, 03:35 AM
The intrepid explorers had spent hours hacking their way through the fibrous flesh of the plane until, finally, they reached an opening, a great cavern filled with exotic plant life. A faint yellow haze hung over the expense, casting it in an eerie primordial light.

The warrior sighed in relief, sliding her blade back into its scabbard, "Great, now we're getting somewhere."

"This is a lot of work just for some stupid herb..." The rogue complains with a grimace, "It better be as valuable as you say."

"This...this is the...the only place...it grows in the whole...multiverse..." The wizard manages before he sneezes, "...ACHOO!" He wipes his nose, his eyes watering, "Ah, my allergies are acting up..."

"Damn, this haze is..." The rogue grumbles, then hesitates, his eyes widening, "Wait, is it just me or is it getting thicker?"

The warrior waves a hand through the haze of yellow dust filling the chamber, "What is this?"

"...pollen..." The wizard sniffs.

"No...spores..." The bard interjects with a worried frown, holding a cloth over his mouth, "I think I've heard of this..."

"Spores?" The warrior asks uneasily.

The wizard gasps for breath, his hands clawing to loosen his collar, "...can't...can't..."

"Everyone back into the tunnel, now." The bard commands urgently, slipping back while drawing his flute.

Cloud of Spôrm
Large Plant
Hit Dice 10d8 + 30 = (70); Damage Reduction 10/magic
Speed 0 ft. (0 squares); fly 60 ft. (poor)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class 13; touch 13; flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple +3/-2
Attack None.
Full-Attack None.
Space 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Spôrm Infection(Ex), Poisonous Form(Ex), Engulf(Ex)
Special Qualities Blindsense 60 ft; Gaseous Form; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Not subject to critical hits; Vulnerability to Fire; Vulnerability to Cold; Resistance to Electricity 20; Damage Reduction 10/Magic; +8 Racial Bonus on Move Silently Checks.
Saves Fort +12 Ref +6 Will +1
Abilities Str 4, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 6, Cha 2
Skills Move Silently +27
Feats Great Fortitude, Skill Focus(Move Silently), Ability Focus(Spôrm Infection), Ability Focus(Poisonous Form)
Environment Elemental Plane of Plants
Organization Solitary, Colony(1-4 + Spôrm Colony), Kingdom (5-10 + 2-5 Spôrm Colonies)
Challenge Rating 8
Alignment True Neutral
Combat Clouds of Spôrm have only one goal, to produce Spôrm Colonies, and use only one tactic to achieve it -- silently engulfing susceptible creatures.

Gaseous Form(Ex): Clouds of Spôrm resemble a hazy yellow cloud of dust or pollen. They can flow through the smallest of spaces, such as through the crack under a door. They cannot, however, pass through solid matter. They cannot directly physically attack or cast spells with verbal, somatic, material, or focus components. They have damage reduction 10/magic. Spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities affect them normally. They cannot enter water or other liquid. They are affected by winds or other forms of moving air to the extent that the wind pushes them in the direction the wind is moving. However, even the strongest wind can’t disperse or damage them. Discerning a Cloud of Spôrm from natural haze requires a DC 15 Spot check. Clouds of Spôrm attempting to hide in an area with mist, smoke, or other gas gain a +20 bonus.

Poisonous Form(Ex): Spôrm are poisonous when inhaled or ingested, blocking the absorption and flow of oxygen. Any breathing creature which occupies the same square as a cloud of Spôrm is subjected to a lethal poison (inhaled, Fortitude DC 15, initial effect 1d4 constitution damage, secondary effect suffocation (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Suffocation#Suffocation)). The save DC is Constitution-based.)

Spôrm Infection(Ex): Each creature engulfed by a Cloud of Spôrm risks an infectious fungal disease - touched, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based. Unlike normal diseases, Spôrm Infection continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or is cured. An infected creature who dies from Spôrm Infection gains the Spôrm Colony template. Creatures with the Cold or Fire subtypes are immune to this disease.

Engulf(Ex): Clouds of Spôrm can flow around a Large or smaller creature as a standard action. The Spôrm moves over its opponents, affecting as many as it covers. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against Clouds of Spôrm if they are aware of it. Engulfed creatures are subject to Spôrm Infection and Poisonous Form (see above).

"We have to go back." The warrior finally states, breaking the silence.

"Are you crazy?" The rogue growls back, "I'm not going back there."

"We can't just leave him." The warrior insists, unwilling to leave her companion fallen back there, "We just need to recover his body, then we can get out of here and resurrect him."

"I'm not sticking my head out for him." The rogue states coldly.

"Unless you have a way of getting off this plane we don't have a choice." The Bard interjects quietly.

"Sh*t..." The rogue curses.

"We lost out transportation back there." The Bard continues, getting to his feet, "Keep your fingers crossed, maybe he had a scroll of him...or, who knows, maybe he's still alive?"

The warrior nods, getting to her feet.

"I knew I should have lifted a scroll..." The rogue sighs.

"It's him!" The warrior suddenly exclaims, pointing down the tunnel they had cut through the plane.

"What?!" The bard asks as he spins around.

The wizard shuffles down the roughly hewn tunnel towards his erstwhile companions. His flesh pallid and sickly, a thick yellow haze hangs in the air around him. His eyes are opened unnaturally wide, lined with a tawny viscid substance.

The rogue scrambles back to his feet and begins to rummage through his pack in a panic.

"We...we were just coming back to get you..." The warrior offers, taking a few steps towards the figure.

"Come me." The wizard manages gutturally, continuing to shuffle forward.

The warrior frowns uneasily.

"Come to me." The wizard gargles, raising his hands at the warrior.

"It's not him." The Bard growls, drawing his rapier, "Not anymore."

"No sh*t!" The Rogue barks back, pulling a wand from his pack and muttering curses as he struggles to get the bloody thing to work.

The warrior stumbles back a step as the thick yellow haze surrounding the wizard engulfs her, her eyes beginning to water as she slides her weapon from its scabbard and slashes at her former ally. The weapon digs deeply into his side but no blood pours from the wound.

The warrior jerks her blade back, tearing it free from a thick viscous that clinged to it from the wizard's wound. She grimaces, "By the gods..."

"Join me." The wizard gurgles, holding up his staff and stating the word of power. A spray of acid erupts outward, burning at his former companions and at the fibrous substance that comprises the plane.

The rogue spins around, dodging the acid, and pointing the wand at the wizard with wild eyes, "WORK DAMNIT!" The wand flickers with magical power and then a small red bead erupts outward before exploding into a fireball which consumes the wizard.

The smoke slowly clears revealing the charred corpse of the wizard among the smoldering plant substance of the plane.

"I think you overdid it..." The bard states grimly.

"I guess we're stuck here." The rogue mutters, he glances at the others with a scowl, "With just each other...." He groans, "Three is a terrible number."

The warrior rubs her watering eyes, "This smoke...it's..."

Spôrm Colony

Creating A Spôrm Colony
“Spôrm Colony” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature that is susceptible to the Spôrm Infection disease.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to Plant. It retains any subtype except for alignment subtypes (such as evil) and subtypes that indicate kind. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice
Change all current and future Hit Dice to d8s.

Speed
Winged Spôrm Colonies can’t use their wings to fly. If the base creature flew magically, so can the Spôrm Colony.

Attacks
A Spôrm Colony retains all attack forms of the base creature.

Special Attacks
A Spôrm Colony retains all the base creature’s special attacks and gains those described below.

Spôrm Cloud(Ex): A Spôrm Colony is surrounded by a 5ft radius cloud of Spôrm. Creatures enter this area are subjected to inhaled poison (Fortitude DC 10 + CON mod, initial effect 1d4 constitution damage, secondary effect suffocation (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Suffocation#Suffocation)) and the Spôrm Infection disease (Fortitude DC 10 CON mod, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con.). A Spôrm Colony can choose to release its Spôrm Cloud, which becomes an independent Cloud of Spôrm, and loses the benefits of Spôrm Cloud for 2d4 hours at which point it generates a new Spôrm Cloud.

Special Qualities

Plant Traits: Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Not subject to critical hits.

Blindsense 60 ft: A Spôrm Colony gains Blindsense 60ft.

Spôrm Survival(Ex): If a Spôrm Colony is slain while it has an active Spôrm Cloud, it's Spôrm Cloud becomes an independent Cloud of Spôrm.

Vulnerability to Fire: A Spôrm Colony takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire damage, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure

Vulnerability to Cold: A Spôrm Colony takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold damage, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure

Regeneration(Ex): Fire and cold deal normal damage to a Spôrm Colony. If a Spôrm Colony loses a limb or body part, a resin substitute for the lost portion grows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Abilities +8 Constitution, -6 Intelligence, -4 Wisdom, -6 Charisma

Feats
A Spôrm Colony retains all feats the base creature had in life.

Challenge Rating
As the base creature +2.

Alignment
Always True Neutral. A Spôrm Colony retains the knowledge of its past life but loses all attachment with it. It's sole purpose becomes to promote the spread of Spôrm in the Plane of Plants, which is the optimal environment for Spôrm. If it is removed from the Plane of Plants a Spôrm Colony will make full use of all abilities at its disposal to return.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-07, 08:39 AM
Feel free to borrow the Barkhearts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6661298&postcount=4) or the Zeffi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6664354&postcount=14) if you like, though they have a different subtype I made up.

Thank you. If you would like to add one of them as an entry, please post your choice here, preferably whith the different subtypes changed.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-28, 09:46 PM
Okaay...contest ended 1 day ago. One entry. Sporm wins.

DracoDei
2009-08-28, 10:23 PM
I never even saw this thread before... I might have entered something (although nothing comes to mind at this time).