PDA

View Full Version : Amazing hardcore player

pedingor
2009-08-07, 01:03 AM
Do you know what kind of player is hardcore player. I tell what, this is called hardcore player

http://news.bbgsite.com/content/2009-07-16/20090716234825172.shtml

A 64 years old hard core player, Yeah Right...

endoperez
2009-08-07, 11:34 AM
Wow, that reviewer was really rude and/or ignorant.

"i am shocked, this proves that gaming is for not just youngsters.. is for everon" :smallyuk:

It's not commonplace (yet) but it's not that unique either. It's not that difficult to change from p&p roleplaying games or wargames into PC games, and especially PC versions of war games. It really depends on the kind of the game, obviously, and the kind of a person. The gamer does seem like a cool guy, though.

Winterwind
2009-08-07, 11:57 AM

"i am shocked, this proves that gaming is for not just youngsters.. is for everon" :smallyuk:Yeah, indeed. That part got me, too. :smallyuk:

Driderman
2009-08-07, 04:46 PM
The interviewer pretty much reads as a retard in case, nevermind his rudeness.

I played Neverwinter Nights 1 online with a 65 year old stroke recoveree for about a year, but I suppose elderly gamers are more common in RPGs...

chiasaur11
2009-08-07, 05:06 PM
The interviewer pretty much reads as a retard in case, nevermind his rudeness.

I played Neverwinter Nights 1 online with a 65 year old stroke recoveree for about a year, but I suppose elderly gamers are more common in RPGs...

An article in EGM once mentioned people in retirement homes tended to be really hard core for RPGs. One guy beat the first Dragon Quest unarmed.

Player_Zero
2009-08-07, 05:11 PM
I play RuneScape mainly with a little of Silkroad, Wow and Everquest.

Oh ho...

Narmoth
2009-08-08, 05:51 AM
Well, on my last LARP one of the players were a man that I think is over 60 years old.
Now, it wasn't a very combat focused larp, but still. It's out in the woods, not sitting in your chair watching a screen

Thrawn183
2009-08-08, 12:01 PM
My grandmother was better than anyone I've ever met at Dr. Mario. Doesn't play anymore, but it used to just blow me away to watch.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-08, 12:09 PM
Runescape is hardly anything resembling Hardcore in my mind at all.
Also - I want to stab the interviewer for asking dull, uninteresting questions and not bothering to even give his questions a once-over. Bad grammar made me want to claw my eyes out.

I didn't even finish the "Interview".

Zorg
2009-08-08, 12:39 PM
My Mum finished the original Legend of Zelda before either my brother or myself. She went through the entire map, and bombed every wall, pushed every block and burnt every bush. I've still got the maps with every secret on them and very detailed notes.

Still haven't finished it though :smallamused:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-08, 12:45 PM
On the subject of parents pwning at videogames:
My father is the the only member of the household to beat Final Fantasy VII. I never made it past the Temple of the Ancients. Stupid Deamon Wall. :smallmad:

toasty
2009-08-08, 11:44 PM
My mom was a God at Red Alert and Red Alert 2. At one point my dad considered taking away Outpost 2 from her because she was playing it too much.

She doesn't play many games now, but she really did enjoy Red Alert 1 and 2. I think she managed to beat both games, all campaigns, on hard.

Sindriss
2009-08-09, 04:47 AM
My parents never played anything I saw. But I used to be a pretty hardcore player, got payed to play in a guild in WoW by an arabian prince or something who had way too much money and wanted all the best items. You probably won't believe me, but I got around 1k dollars each month.

MickJay
2009-08-09, 05:21 AM
My parents never played anything I saw. But I used to be a pretty hardcore player, got payed to play in a guild in WoW by an arabian prince or something who had way too much money and wanted all the best items. You probably won't believe me, but I got around 1k dollars each month.

Considering that people get killed IRL, for various MMOG game-related reasons, or make a decent living by (illegally) selling in-game gold and items, getting paid for playing/supporting a guild doesn't sound that unbelievable :smalltongue:

Miss Nobody
2009-08-10, 11:22 AM
My mom played a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 4. I think she completed all the campaigns from HOMM3, from the Shadow of Death expansion and from HOMM4. She also used to play Diablo 2 and Age of Empires 2.

giaokei
2009-08-10, 10:46 PM
Either way, who cares?

Guy isn't a hardcore gamer at all.

Hardcore gamers go to national tournaments, someone who just plays a lot of games all the time is a loser.

TheThan
2009-08-10, 10:53 PM

"i am shocked, this proves that gaming is for not just youngsters.. is for everon" :smallyuk:

It's not commonplace (yet) but it's not that unique either. It's not that difficult to change from p&p roleplaying games or wargames into PC games, and especially PC versions of war games. It really depends on the kind of the game, obviously, and the kind of a person. The gamer does seem like a cool guy, though.

Its not that difficult to switch form PC wargames and RPGs to tabletop games, I know I've made that switch. so I guess it works either way.

and yeah that reviewer is a moron.

shadowxknight
2009-08-10, 11:54 PM
Either way, who cares?

Hardcore gamers go to national tournaments, someone who just plays a lot of games all the time is a loser.

That's pretty harsh.
You offend a bunch of people with that last statement there.

Optimystik
2009-08-11, 12:29 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought there would be a link to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olm7xC-gBMY)

Winterwind
2009-08-11, 07:12 AM
Either way, who cares?

Hardcore gamers go to national tournaments, someone who just plays a lot of games all the time is a loser....or potentially just aware of what s/he considers fun and has enough confidence to just do what makes them happy, rather than denying themselves the fun because of fear what others might think (as some losers might). :smallamused:

snoopy13a
2009-08-11, 12:36 PM
...or potentially just aware of what s/he considers fun and has enough confidence to just do what makes them happy, rather than denying themselves the fun because of fear what others might think (as some losers might). :smallamused:

Plus, it isn't like he's spending that much of his free time on the game as he is retired. He plays four hours a day of video games. That leaves 8+ hours for other activities. If he was spending four hours a day on the golf course or watching TV no one would even think twice.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-08-11, 03:20 PM
Runescape and WoW hardly qualify as hardcore gaming.

/flees

pedingor
2009-08-11, 09:02 PM
For FPS/RTS, hardcore means skill; for MMORPG, hardcore means time invested.

Optimystik
2009-08-11, 10:05 PM
For FPS/RTS, hardcore means skill; for MMORPG, hardcore means time invested.

Skill is correlated to time invested, particularly for RTS games.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 10:08 PM
My grandma could kick me up and down the street at Age of Empires III any dang day.

KBF
2009-08-12, 01:56 AM
That guy does sound pretty intense actually. 4 hours a day is nothing to sneeze at, in all honesty. Maybe not the hardest core of gaming, but it's more than just respectable. RS and WoW, though I may not play them, are as hardcore as you make them, and that's pretty hardcore right there.

That interviewer was a total moron though. I struggled reading the whole thing, like you know ?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: Oh, and I guess if people are talking about their parents.. My dad got me into Doom and Age of Empires I and II back when I was around six. He doesn't really seem to have time for it anymore, but sometimes he will play a game of Age Of Empires II when he's bored.

toasty
2009-08-12, 02:58 AM
That guy does sound pretty intense actually. 4 hours a day is nothing to sneeze at, in all honesty. Maybe not the hardest core of gaming, but it's more than just respectable. RS and WoW, though I may not play them, are as hardcore as you make them, and that's pretty hardcore right there.

As a note, if I had some very good video games that I hadn't played before I could easily play that much on a daily basis - during the summer, at least.

I already play like 10hrs a week during a normal school week... (6hrs on weekends, 4 during the week)

pedingor
2009-08-12, 09:13 PM
As a note, if I had some very good video games that I hadn't played before I could easily play that much on a daily basis - during the summer, at least.

I already play like 10hrs a week during a normal school week... (6hrs on weekends, 4 during the week)

Good boy~ 10 hrs a week...I m playing 10 hours a day :D

toasty
2009-08-12, 10:26 PM
Good boy~ 10 hrs a week...I m playing 10 hours a day :D

This is during the school year... I AM a full time student you know.

elliott20
2009-08-13, 01:47 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought there would be a link to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olm7xC-gBMY)

wow, that's hilarious... the sad part is, I actually knew a couple people who were like this.

anyway, 4 hours a day for me is an AMAZING amount of gaming time. I could barely do that even when I was single and in college.

but then again, I would hardly call myself a hardcore gamer.

Winterwind
2009-08-13, 06:36 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought there would be a link to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olm7xC-gBMY)Why link to a single video when you can link to the series (http://purepwnage.com/)? :smallamused:

Geno9999
2009-08-13, 08:01 AM
I usually play about an hour a day on video games, and another hour or so on the net. That makes it around 14 hours a week.