PDA

View Full Version : Cool wedding gifts?

pendell
2009-08-07, 09:15 AM
A friend of mine is tying the knot after 32 years. I'm very happy for her.

So... what's a good gift for a couple that's just getting married, first time for the both of them? They're both Indian, and she's an IT geek. I'm trying to think of something thoughtful but not too expensive, and I thought I'd solicit suggestions.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-07, 09:20 AM
To be honest, if they have a registry I'd just go off of that. I know it may not seem thoughtful enough, since it's something they asked for, but as someone who recently got married I generally considered it much more thoughtful when someone actually got us something we needed and identified as needing rather than something random they thought was a good idea.

banjo1985
2009-08-07, 09:28 AM
*seconded*

Choosing a gift off a wedding list might not seem very thoughtful, but as a 'soon-to-be-married' myself, the things they want are on that list. There's nothing worse than going away on your honeymoon wondering what you're going to do with 6 toasters. :smalltongue:

However, from the IT geek angle, some of those silly USB gadgets you can get might be an option, and they're often affordable. I personally like the USB drum kit, and the little heating element USB that keeps your cup of tea warm. :smallbiggrin:

soozenw
2009-08-07, 09:28 AM
Always go off of the registry, or give a check/cash/gift card. Unless they have been hinting about wanting something completely off the wall, always give them what they ask for or, barring that, a monetary gift.

If you do decide to get them something that they didn't ask for, always give gift receipts!

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-07, 09:30 AM
Yikes - since it's after 32 years, they've probably already accumulated all the stuff they need. So even power tools are no good. Maybe frequent flier miles?

Telonius
2009-08-07, 09:33 AM
*seconded*

Choosing a gift off a wedding list might not seem very thoughtful, but as a 'soon-to-be-married' myself, the things they want are on that list. There's nothing worse than going away on your honeymoon wondering what you're going to do with 6 toasters. :smalltongue:

Thirded. The wedding registry is usually filled up with stuff they really want or really need. If you need more motivation, go in and add up the cost of all the stuff on the registry. They're going to have to come up with that much money if they don't get what they ask for.

Speaking from experience, I really am grateful that my aunt was thinking of me. But I also really wish she'd taken the thousand bucks she spent on an oriental rug (now gracing the floor of an unused room) and gotten us a full set of pots and pans that match the rest of the stuff we own.

mangosta71
2009-08-07, 09:43 AM
Yikes - since it's after 32 years, they've probably already accumulated all the stuff they need. So even power tools are no good. Maybe frequent flier miles?

My assumption was that he meant she's 32 years old, not that they'd been together for 32 years.

As for a gift, is she hot? If so, some slinky lingerie and a video camera. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-07, 09:46 AM
As for a gift, is she hot? If so, some slinky lingerie and a video camera. :smalltongue:
Wait...What?

Lingerie made out of slinkies?

*brain asplode*

pendell
2009-08-07, 09:54 AM
Hmm, some clarification is needed.

1) I have asked repeatedly to have a look at the registry. They don't have one. It's going to be an Indian wedding, and the rules are just different from what most Americans do.

2) When I say "32 years", I mean that my friend is 32, has been looking for years, and has just now finally managed to find the man of her dreams. I didn't mean they'd been together for 32 years -- far from it!

3) Due to some of the dynamics involved, it would be highly inappropriate for me to get them any form of gift which is in any way sexually themed. Given that they are from the culture that gave the world the Kama Sutra, I strongly doubt I would have anything helpful to offer, in any case.

4) My friend is a professional woman who owns her own house. So I suspect she already has pots, pans, etc.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

soozenw
2009-08-07, 01:22 PM
Do they even want presents? I'm still a fan of cash in a nice card. They can do with it whatever they want. And if you think it's impersonal, believe me, very few brides/grooms will think so. Everyone can always use cash. And if they are completely loaded and need no money, then just a card. They probably don't need any more stuff.

Barring all of that--candles. Never met a woman that doesn't love candles.

Lady Tialait
2009-08-07, 01:36 PM
*snip*
Barring all of that--candles. Never met a woman that doesn't love candles.

Nice to meet you.

Um, for my wedding we didn't have a registry. However, mostly peaple just brought gift cards. We still have most of the gift cards...we didn't need the cash.

It was a good idea on their part, from time to time over our 5 years we have needed the cards...some expired though >.>

soozenw
2009-08-07, 02:04 PM
Nice to meet you.

You don't like candles? See, there's always one. Nice to meet you!

Mr.Moron
2009-08-07, 02:18 PM
A chainsaw.

Coidzor
2009-08-07, 02:36 PM
My assumption was that he meant she's 32 years old, not that they'd been together for 32 years.

Ahh, yes, ye old gag gift. I'd've said something about tele-something-or-other-donics...

Hmm. Well, if you can't go sexual, a gag gift involving babies might be mildly more palatable to them. Possibly a perambulator or papoose-style torso/back baby-carrier apparatus? Maybe a child-cage? Baby radio/monitor/thingies? All included with a guide to some aspect of parenting or another or possibly extracurriculars for young children to get involved with in the area.

Wait...What?

Lingerie made out of slinkies?

*brain asplode*

Yes, there is some lingerie made out of slinkies, but that's generally a custom job. :smalltongue: Here we mean lingerie for slinking in. :smallamused:

Serwiously though... What's on the registry?

Could you possibly extrapolate something from that which they don't have but would want but felt embarrassed at including it on the registry?

Cyrion
2009-08-07, 03:04 PM
Having just been on the receiving end of the wedding gift game, I'll add another vote for the wedding registry push. If they just won't do a registry, try to look very carefully for something they actually need. My wife and I are looking to move soon, our family knows that, and we still got an apalling number of knick-knacks and statuary. Ask her for a specific request if you have to. Can you contribute to the honeymoon?

Failing all else, give them something thoughtful, personal and simple. As part of our ceremony we used the Apache Wedding Prayer, and our minister had it nicely printed and framed and gave that to us. It's one of our favorite gifts because of how personal it is. As a variation on the idea, if the couple are writing their own vows maybe doing something special with those- having them framed together?- would be good.

thestarvingpoet
2009-08-07, 04:51 PM
The last wedding that we bought a present for we went for a couple of gorgeous reference books - the couple are into organic foods and living naturally so we got them a book on how to grow more in an urban space, and an encyclopedia of fruits and vegetables. Both very useful books (so much so we got a copy of each for ourselves). So depending on what the couple is interested in, books of some sort could be an option.

Shikton
2009-08-08, 10:49 AM
Divorce papers. Then pull out a camera, take a picture of their expressions, post it as a "Priceless"-pic and hand them the real gift afterwards.:smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-08-08, 02:38 PM
Ooooh, have they gotten a prenup? Because before they're actually married you could arrange a convoluted scheme to get them in an appointment with a lawyer to draw up their prenuptial agreement...

*evil grin*

THAC0
2009-08-08, 02:52 PM
I've heard about this but never seen it. It's a basket full of different colored candles, and there's a note that goes along with it, nicely worded and such, but basically it's a candle to burn for major milestones in their married life, anniversaries, first 'fights,' etc. Googling might find what I'm talking about.

pendell
2009-08-16, 07:42 AM
Update:

Well , in the end I asked her again for access to the registry, and she told me the best thing to give would be a gift certificate -- she's inheriting her mom's house, and all that stuff, plus all the stuff her mom has been saving for the young lady's marriage. That's a heap o' loot.

So she asked for a gift certificate so ... after they marry up and move in, catalog and sort everything ... they can fill in the cracks.

So we got her a $30 gift card. Not very sentimental, perhaps, but practical.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cyrion
2009-08-16, 09:56 AM
Not very sentimental, but one they'll definitely appreciate.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-16, 10:03 AM
Supposedly any kind of candle except for 100% beeswax releases some bad stuff into the air, like lead. If you care about that sort of thing. And here I am talking about handing out cigars. (Edit: Oops, I thought I was in the "Alternative Gifts" thread.)