PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Missing limbs

Burley
2009-08-07, 12:28 PM
Are there any mechanical penalties to missing limbs? A hand, in particular. My upcoming character is a Self-Forged, and has one battlefist, but cut off both hands. I'm debating whether I should enchant the battlefist with the Pairing enhancements, or not...

Gralamin
2009-08-07, 12:30 PM
There is no way to have a missing limb in 4e, so anything you do towards that regards will have to be homebrewed.

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-07, 12:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, how did the character lose both his hands? Penaltywise, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm mentions a -2 penalty for losing 1 hand, but I always thought that seemed lenient. In your character's case I'd say he shouldn't be able to use anything that isn't grafted to his arms.

Belobog
2009-08-07, 12:48 PM
I'm unsure what exactly you're looking for here, but I'd just go with the common sense approach that you can't do things that require two hands. As for something more mechanical, I can't think of anything appropriate.

RTGoodman
2009-08-07, 12:53 PM
There is no way to have a missing limb in 4e, so anything you do towards that regards will have to be homebrewed.

Yeah, this pretty much. Of course, it'd basically be something like:

One Hand
You only have one hand. You cannot hold or wield a weapon, implement, heavy shield (light shields are simple strapped to your arm), or other item in that hand, you cannot wield a two-handed weapon, and you cannot choose to wield a versatile weapon in two hands. You take a -5 penalty to Athletics checks made to climb or swim, or to Acrobatic checks made to perform special actions that would require the use of that hand.

Dublock
2009-08-07, 12:57 PM
One Hand
You only have one hand. You cannot hold or wield a weapon, implement, heavy shield (light shields are simple strapped to your arm), or other item in that hand, you cannot wield a two-handed weapon, and you cannot choose to wield a versatile weapon in two hands. You take a -5 penalty to Athletics checks made to climb or Acrobatic checks made to perform special actions that would require the use of that hand.

-5 to swimming too I believe.

This sounds like a flaw from 3.5 :P

AstralFire
2009-08-07, 01:00 PM
Yeah, this pretty much. Of course, it'd basically be something like:

One Hand
You only have one hand. You cannot hold or wield a weapon, implement, heavy shield (light shields are simple strapped to your arm), or other item in that hand, you cannot wield a two-handed weapon, and you cannot choose to wield a versatile weapon in two hands. You take a -5 penalty to Athletics checks made to climb or Acrobatic checks made to perform special actions that would require the use of that hand.

Benefit: As a minor action, you can make an attack (Charisma vs. Will) against a creature talking who is able to see you. If the attack succeeds, the creature must use any limb or amputation related puns or humor that make themselves handy to the situation.

TheOOB
2009-08-07, 01:01 PM
Yeah, the majority of the penalties would be summed up by "Looks like it's just 1h weapons for your". Though to be fair, if raise dead is an 8th level ritual, I imagine one that regenerates limbs is even lower, they might have it allready and I cannot remember.

RTGoodman
2009-08-07, 01:03 PM
Though to be fair, if raise dead is an 8th level ritual, I imagine one that regenerates limbs is even lower, they might have it allready and I cannot remember.

I dunno... you could always model it after Remove Disease, where, yeah, there's a chance of it succeeding, but there's also a chance that it might just kill you. :smalltongue:

Burley
2009-08-07, 01:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, how did the character lose both his hands?
He's a Deva, who is trying to find a way out of the reincarnation cycle. While studying warforged, he begins noticing his hands distorting and misshaping, into those of a Rakshasa. So, he makes a set of battle fists, and cuts of his evil hands.
But, the Paragon Path really only gives you ONE battle fist, so, I thought of enchanting it to get another hand.

Asbestos
2009-08-08, 09:24 AM
He's a Deva, who is trying to find a way out of the reincarnation cycle. While studying warforged, he begins noticing his hands distorting and misshaping, into those of a Rakshasa. So, he makes a set of battle fists, and cuts of his evil hands.
But, the Paragon Path really only gives you ONE battle fist, so, I thought of enchanting it to get another hand.

Don't know why the paragon path couldn't give you two... I mean... your powers only let you use one at a time anyway, and it isn't like its the most OPed weapon ever.

Yakk
2009-08-08, 10:50 AM
I'd just fluff one hand as the battlefist, the other being a less advanced mechanical hand (that acts like a normal hand). Or maybe the other hand is a fine manipulator that you swap tools in and out of.

Burley
2009-08-10, 06:57 AM
I'd just fluff one hand as the battlefist, the other being a less advanced mechanical hand (that acts like a normal hand). Or maybe the other hand is a fine manipulator that you swap tools in and out of.

Aye. This is what I've decide on with my GM. His non-battlefist hand will be a mechanical hand, looking similar to a gauntlet, but with elaborate designs carved into them. Pieces will come off of the hand when certain powers are used, just like he keeps compact versions of his summoned constructs strapped to various parts of himself. (Like those collapsing droids from Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Ruiningofmychildhood.)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hal
2009-08-10, 08:33 AM
Well, the character IS a warforged. Perhaps instead of the second hand, he generates a series of Inspector Gadget-like tools where the hand should be, depending on what he wants to do. For example, his left hand sprouts a fork if he needs to cook, a shield during combat, a set of tools if he's picking locks, etc. It could be a very amusing RP tool.

serok42
2009-08-11, 08:00 AM
Well, the character IS a warforged. Perhaps instead of the second hand, he generates a series of Inspector Gadget-like tools where the hand should be, depending on what he wants to do.

My Artificer is going to go self-forged as well.
He is only level 3 but I already had him cut of his hand. He has the disembodied hand familiar which is the hand he cut off. He did this because he always needed an extra hand while working on various projects and ended up finding out how to animate it.

Anyway I use a spiked gauntlet as my other hand. I figure this is a good stepping stone until I get my battle fist.

The group I play with has dubbed him Dr. Claw. I kind of like that. :smallbiggrin:
He is already a creepy former Red Wizard of Thay.