PDA

View Full Version : Elves

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 05:40 PM
The Elves

Personality: Elves are light-hearted when it comes to most things. Elves are relatively friendly, and always speak their mind whether or not their opinion is wanted. They enjoy many things in life. Elves, like humans, are quick to make friends.
The elves acknowledge nature as a powerful force, and show respect to both plants and animals, although they do hunt and gather food in order to survive. The elves show open distaste to any who disrespects nature.
The elves have very little knowledge of the outside world due to their seclusion and their unwillingness to mingle with human society.

Physical Description: Elves stand at about 5 and a half feet tall, just about as tall as a human, although noticeably slimmer. Elves typically weight from 100 to 150 pounds. They tend to have slightly pale skin, and their hair color ranges from brown and red to black. Their eyes are usually green, although some elves have blue eyes. An elf is considered an adult at the age of 40, and can live to be 500 years old.

Alignment: Elves are generally neutral or good.

Relations: Elves have poor relations with the humans, and they rarely, if ever, see one another. The humans fear the elves as tricksters and evil magicians. The elves fear the humans for their barbarism and their apparent disregard of nature. The elves are unaware of the existence of dwarves, and if they were to meet one, they would consider them a human.

Elven Lands: The elven homeland, known as Veltare is a large region within the Myrkwood of Morava. Veltare is very well protected, and any outsider who approaches is diverted by the mystical wards set up all around Veltare. The homes are made from the trees. There are tree houses, hollows, and other forms of tree-based homes. The elves take great pride in their homeland, and will work at any cost to protect it.

Religion: The elves believe in no god, however, they revere nature and occasionally perform rituals out of respect for nature.

+4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength
Medium size: Elves, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Speed: An elf’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Wild Heart: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus to all climb, hide, move silently, and survival checks made within a forest environment. Additionally, elves receive a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls made within a forest environment.
Skill Affinity (Acute Hearing): Elves have an excellent sense of hearing, and receive a +2 racial bonus on listen checks.
Magical: Elves are able to cast prestidigitation once per day. They are also able to cast an additional 0-level spell of their choice once per day. Caster level is equal to the elf’s hit dice.
Feared: Because of their poor relations with humans, Elves receive a –2 penalty on all Bluff and Diplomacy checks made against humans.
Languages: Elven
Favored Class: Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6674346#post6674346)

Notes-

These elves sleep.
This setting has only 2 spellcasting classes, both of which are limited to 4th level spells and require either charisma or wisdom for spellcasting ability.
This setting has no NPC spellcaster class, and the Adept is a homebrew class. Link: The Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6674346#post6674346)

What do you guys think?

Edited: Inserted link to the Adept class.

Thatguyoverther
2009-08-07, 06:20 PM
It seems weird that elves are both open and friendly but also live in seclusion and avoid human contact.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-07, 06:28 PM
I assume this is 3.5? It's best to clarify these things.

For their trait "Magical," what caster level do they have? Always one, or is it equal to their overall character level?

I don't understand why elves receive -2 to Bluff checks against humans. Is it because humans are always wary and distrustful of them to start off with?

I find it amusing that elves regard humans as barbaric, yet an NPC class (adept) which represents a low level of magical knowledge is their favored class. :smalltongue: Maybe druid, or some homebrew class which combines a focus on nature with some practical or trickery based magic, might be more appropriate?

This is all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably check back later to see what's changed and what more I can contribute.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 06:34 PM
It seems weird that elves are both open and friendly but also live in seclusion and avoid human contact.

Ahh... I meant that they're friendly with one another. And if an elf were to end up meeting a human that he or she likes, they'd quickly become to trust the human.

I assume this is 3.5? It's best to clarify these things.

For their trait "Magical," what caster level do they have? Always one, or is it equal to their overall character level?

I don't understand why elves receive -2 to Bluff checks against humans. Is it because humans are always wary and distrustful of them to start off with?

I find it amusing that elves regard humans as barbaric, yet an NPC class (adept) which represents a low level of magical knowledge is their favored class. :smalltongue: Maybe druid, or some homebrew class which combines a focus on nature with some practical or trickery based magic, might be more appropriate?

This is all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably check back later to see what's changed and what more I can contribute.

3.5, and I specified caster level, which was equal to the elf's HD.

They receive a -2 to Bluff and Diplomacy for the exact reason you think.

And I didn't forgot that the Adept was an NPC class, haha. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm in the process of homebrewing an Adept which is uhh... very different from the NPC Adept.

Since there are only 2 spellcasting classes, there are no NPC spellcasting classes or Druids.

Renrik
2009-08-07, 07:07 PM
Favored class is adept? Are you only using the NPC classes? I would put the favored class as either Druid, Sorcerer, or Bard.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 07:20 PM
Favored class is adept? Are you only using the NPC classes? I would put the favored class as either Druid, Sorcerer, or Bard.

Read the previous post.

Renrik
2009-08-07, 07:39 PM
Ah, I see. Very good.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 07:47 PM
I have the Adept class up, and I'm going to fix my first post up a bit.

erikun
2009-08-07, 08:19 PM
Your elves sound a lot like gnomes. :smalltongue: Which is perfectly fine, if there are no gnomes running around. Put the two races next to each other, though, and there are a lot of similarities.

Would 'Feared' apply to dwarves (and indeed, any other races) because the elves think they're all humans? Or does it only apply to humans, because of the humans' general anti-elf attitude?

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 08:20 PM
Your elves sound a lot like gnomes. :smalltongue: Which is perfectly fine, if there are no gnomes running around. Put the two races next to each other, though, and there are a lot of similarities.

Would 'Feared' apply to dwarves (and indeed, any other races) because the elves think they're all humans? Or does it only apply to humans, because of the humans' general anti-elf attitude?

It applies only to humans, and the only races are Elves, Dwarves, and Humans.

The Witch-King
2009-08-07, 08:28 PM
I like your elves. I've always wondered about the time in most fantasy campaigns when elves and dwarves first met and in many worlds made war on each other.

I have a suggestion for them if I may:

Forestheart: +2 to Climb, Spot, Move Silently and Survival checks when in forest.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 08:54 PM
Haha, yeah this campaign involved dwarves and elves meeting on human grounds, and then war breaks out, as humans hate elves, elves hate humans, and the dwarves are just evil.