PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class, the Land of Alvia] The Adept

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 07:46 PM
The Adept

Hit Dice: d4
Weapon Proficiencies: Adepts are proficient with simple weapons, and one other weapon group of their choosing.
Armor Proficiencies: Adepts are proficient with no armor.
Alignment: Adepts can be of any alignment, but are commonly Neutral.
Skill Points: 4 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)
Class Skills: Ten + Intelligence Modifier + Craft, Knowledge (Any), Spellcraft
Spells: Mana forming. Every level grants the adept an additional 2 mana points. Adepts receive bonus mana points from high wisdom scores (twice the modifier). Wearing armor interferes with mana forming, and if worn while mana forming, twice the number of mana must be expended in order to achieve the desired results.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|Mana Points

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
Mana Form I, Brand of Mana I, Mana Shaping|2|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
---|4|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|
Brand of Mana II|6|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Mana Form II|8|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Brand of Mana III|10|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|
---|12|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|
Mana Form III, Brand of Mana VI|14|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|
---|16|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|
Brand of Mana V, Mana Power|18|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|
---|20|

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|
Brand of Mana VI, Mana Power|22|

12th|
+6 / +1|
+4|
+4|
+8|
---|24|

13th|
+6 / +1|
+4|
+4|
+8|
---|26|

14th|
+7 / +2|
+4|
+4|
+9|
---|28|

15th|
+7 / +2|
+5|
+5|
+9|
---|30|

16th|
+8 / +3|
+5|
+5|
+10|
---|32|

17th|
+8 / +3|
+5|
+5|
+10|
---|34|

18th|
+9 / +4|
+6|
+6|
+11|
---|36|

19th|
+9 / +4|
+6|
+6|
+11|
---|38|

20th|
+10 / +5|
+6|
+6|
+12|
---|40|[/table]

Mana Form (Su) There are many ways for an adept to manipulate mana. At 1st level, an Adept selects one of the Mana Forms: Construction, Deconstruction and Manipulation. Every 3 levels after, an Adept may select an additional Mana Form, while previously selected Mana Forms advance one level, to a maximum of four levels.

Brand of Mana (Su) There are several different manifestations of mana. At 1st level, and every two levels thereafter, and Adept selects one of the Brands of Mana: Body, Earth, Fire, Mind, Water, and Wind.

Mana Shaping (Su) An adept can control the force of mana, and temporarily bend it to their will. By combining a Mana Form and a Brand of Mana, they are able to produce powerful, magical effects. By expending mana points, they can empower these effects. An adept is able to spend a number of mana points equal to spend a number of mana points equal to the adept’s class level + the adept’s wisdom modifier. Any ability that allows saving throws will be noted. The DC of any saving throw made against an adept’s mana ability is 10 + the Adept’s wisdom modifier + 2 x the mana ability’s mana form level. Any number of mana points may be spent on “secondary” effects. Mana Shaping is a standard action, unless otherwise noted.

Mana Power Every two levels after an adept learns the final form of mana, the mana form levels are increased by 1, to a maximum of four.

Construction

Body I-
Healing- An adept can repair damaged flesh, and restore it to its original state. An adept restores a number of hit points to a living target equal to 1d4 x the number of mana points expended. This has no effect on non-living targets. An adept can expend 6 additional mana points to instead make it so that using a mana point adds a d6 instead of a d4.

Body II-
Remedy- An adept can remove harmful poisons and illnesses from the body by restoring the inflicted areas to their original state. The adept rolls 1d6 + 1/every two mana points expended against the poison or disease’s DC. If the roll is equal to or higher than the DC, then it is removed. An adept can expend any number of mana points to bolster the target’s fortitude saves against poisons and disease for the next hour by 1 for every 2 mana points used this way.
Creation- An adept is capable of creating life. An adept can expend any number of mana points in order to cast Summon Nature’s Ally. For every 5 mana points expended this way, the adept casts Summon Nature’s Ally one level higher. Caster level is equal to the adept’s class level. This ability requires one round to use.

Body III-
Restoring- An adept is capable of removing physical ability damage. An adept restores a number of points to a physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) equal to a third of the number of mana points expended. An adept can expend 6 additional mana points to instead restore points to all physical ability scores. This has no effect on non-living targets.
Infliction- An adept can cause disease. The adept rolls 1d6 + 1/every two mana points expended, then selects a disease or poison with a DC equal to or less than the roll. An adept can expend any number of mana points to improve the poison or disease’s DC by a number equal to half the number of mana points used this way. However, the DC cannot exceed the Infliction roll. Successful fortitude save (against poison/disease DC) negates.

Body IV- Got nothing...

Fire I-

Torch- An adept can create a small flame which acts like a torch. By expending any number of mana points, the adept can create a small, floating flame which gives 5 feet of light for every 2 mana points spent in this way. Also, for every 4 mana points spent in this way, the torch deals 1d6 points of fire damage upon touch. The torch lasts for 1 hour. By spending any number of additional mana points, the torch lasts for one additional hour for every 2 mana points spent in this way. The flame can be thrown as a ranged touch attack, with a range increment of 15 feet. The flame dissipates upon contact (or missing). Successful reflex save halves damage.

Deconstruction
Body I-
Injuring- An adept can damage flesh by shredding, tearing, or damaging it in any other way. An adept deals damage to a living target equal to 1d4 x the number of mana points expended + the half adept’s class level. This has no effect on non-living targets. An adept can expend 6 additional mana points to instead make it so that using a mana point adds a d6 instead of a d4. Successful fortitude save halves damage.
Body II-
Impair- An adept is capable of causing physical ability damage. An adept deals a number of points to a physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) equal to a quarter of the number of mana points expended. An adept can expend 16 additional mana points to instead restore points to all physical ability scores. This has no effect on non-living targets. Successful fortitude save halves ability score damage.
Body III- Got nothing...
Body IV- Got nothing...

Mind I-
Enfeeble- An adept is capable of causing mental ability damage. An adept deals a number of points to a physical ability score (Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) equal to a third of the number of mana points expended. An adept can expend 12 additional mana points to instead restore points to all physical ability scores. This has no effect on non-living targets. Successful will save halves ability score damage.
Body II-
Confuse- An adept can cause a victim’s mind to perform erratically, causing the target to behave oddly. The target is affected by the confusion spell. This ability requires 6 mana points to activate. Caster level is equal to half the adept’s class level. An adept can spend any number of additional mana to increase the percentile die roll’s result by +2 for every point expended in this way. Successful will save negates.
Mind III- Got nothing...
Mind IV- Got nothing...

Okay. So, I know there are a lot of dead levels, but this class isn't really finished.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not this is balanced, and I'm obviously still working on the other mana forms. I already have a few in mind, but it's a little time consuming to put it down into words. Haha. However, on others, I've got nothing.

EDIT: Added saving throws, and Mind Deconstruction section (Enfeeble and Confuse. Modified the Torch Fire Construction form so that it can deal damage.

PEACH!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-07, 08:09 PM
Weapon Proficiencies: Adepts are proficient with simple weapons, and one other of their choosing.

Would that be all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice, or any weapon?

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 08:12 PM
Would that be all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice, or any weapon?

Any weapon. I modified all of the classes' weapon proficiencies to include that. A few classes can select two or more.

The Witch-King
2009-08-07, 08:48 PM
Construction
Body VI- Got nothing...

Maybe high level Body Construction permits the addition of body parts that weren't there before? You could give someone wings to fly with or gills to let them breathe underwater or grant them darkvision to see in the dark with.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 08:49 PM
Maybe high level Body Construction permits the addition of body parts that weren't there before? You could give someone wings to fly with or gills to let them breathe underwater or grant them darkvision to see in the dark with.

I'm thinking of letting them combine brands of mana. Wind + Body construction = fly, water + body construction = gills.

Glimbur
2009-08-07, 09:24 PM
Call it a Mana Adept, or a Mana Shaper, or something that isn't a name that's already taken?

When do Mana Points refresh? Per day? Per encounter? Have you considered high wisdom giving a scaling bonus to mana points instead of a flat one, like Psionics do?

I'd put all your Body Construction abilities under Manipulation instead.

Remedy seems really unlikely to work unless you blow a lot of points on it. Save DC's start at 10, and only go up.
The best way to use Healing is one point at a time, because you always add your class level. Injuring, likewise, but that requires more actions in combat then so that's probably ok.
I like the idea behind Injuring, but it's quite weak at low levels: at level 3 when you could have it, with a +4 Wis modifier you can do 3 points of ability damage. That's almost all of your Mana Pool. Underwhelming. At higher levels you might be able to drop someone with one attack, assuming they don't have one of the several ways to be resistant or immune to ability damage and you can target them.

You also still have a lot of work to do, but you knew that.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-07, 10:24 PM
Call it a Mana Adept, or a Mana Shaper, or something that isn't a name that's already taken?

When do Mana Points refresh? Per day? Per encounter? Have you considered high wisdom giving a scaling bonus to mana points instead of a flat one, like Psionics do?

I'd put all your Body Construction abilities under Manipulation instead.

Remedy seems really unlikely to work unless you blow a lot of points on it. Save DC's start at 10, and only go up.
The best way to use Healing is one point at a timbecause you always add your class level. Injuring, likewise, but that requires more actions in combat then so that's probably ok.
I like the idea behind Injuring, but it's quite weak at low levels: at level 3 when you could have it, with a +4 Wis modifier you e, can do 3 points of ability damage. That's almost all of your Mana Pool. Underwhelming. At higher levels you might be able to drop someone with one attack, assuming they don't have one of the several ways to be resistant or immune to ability damage and you can target them.

You also still have a lot of work to do, but you knew that.

Never thought of making the wisdom modifier a scaling bonus to the mana pool, that's a good idea.

I thought of Construction as Conjuration, and Manipulation as Transmutation.
I was thinking of making Body Manipulation abilities physical buffs.

Okay. Mana points refresh per day. You're right about Remedy, I'll make it a one for one deal.

I meant to make it half adept level, rounded down for injuring and healing, whoops. Adepts possess the only possible means of magical healing in this campaign, as the only other spellcaster in the campaign is an arcane spellcaster.

Impair is the only possible way for the players to deal ability score damage, so I deliberately made it on the weak side. And for the one-shot thing with Impair, that most likely won't work due to the mana point cap. At level 18, an adept can only spend 24 points on one mana ability (assuming he has a +6 modifier to wisdom).

And wow, I forgot to include saves haha.

Cieyrin
2009-08-08, 09:19 AM
I'm assuming this is aimed at a Low Magic world, given how quickly you could burn through your mana points. I'm also assuming Mana Form continues on at 10th, 13th and 16th, which'd be when your 1st, 2nd and last forms cap at 4th level, respectively, or once you learn your last Mana Form, Mana Power kicks in to speed up power acquisition, to hiitting cap on your forms at 9th, 11th and 13th, respectively.

Your 3 forms reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist and the 3 steps of the alchemy, Deconstruction, Analysis and Reconstruction, actually, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as that can make for some very free-form magic, which could be quite interesting, I'd say. You clearly have much to do yet but it's certainly a good start.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-08, 11:04 AM
I'm assuming this is aimed at a Low Magic world, given how quickly you could burn through your mana points. I'm also assuming Mana Form continues on at 10th, 13th and 16th, which'd be when your 1st, 2nd and last forms cap at 4th level, respectively, or once you learn your last Mana Form, Mana Power kicks in to speed up power acquisition, to hiitting cap on your forms at 9th, 11th and 13th, respectively.

Your 3 forms reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist and the 3 steps of the alchemy, Deconstruction, Analysis and Reconstruction, actually, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as that can make for some very free-form magic, which could be quite interesting, I'd say. You clearly have much to do yet but it's certainly a good start.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Yes, this is aimed at a low magic world. Besides The Magician (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119379), the Adept is the only other spellcaster. I have realised that mana points will be used up very quickly, so I'm thinking about increasing the amount to maybe 3 per level.

I've read Fullmetal Alchemist before, although it wasn't on my mind when I created this class, but it is kinda similar now that you mention it. Haha, I remember that I had an idea that involved humans being used with the Philosopher's Stone before I read Fullmetal Alchemist, and then when I started reading it, I was like "Okay, this is very interesting, humans created from a Philosopher's Stone?"

Anyway, I've got a few more things to add (not much), but I'll go edit it now.

DracoDei
2009-08-10, 09:40 PM
4 in Roman numerals is "IV" not "VI"

PumpkinEater
2009-08-11, 12:12 AM
4 in Roman numerals is "IV" not "VI"

Haha, whoopsie, my bad.