PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Karach: the Chaos-Stuff

Domigorgon
2009-08-07, 08:15 PM
Okay, I've been searching the net for some details on karach weapons, but have so far found none too comprehensive or satisfying. This is Planescape-related, but you need not be familiar with the setting; I need help with balancing things out, and will explain all you might need to know.

So I've tried to define it on my own (but picked a few random details too elsewhere):

Karach Blade

Karach is a metallic substance found only on the Everchanging Plane of Limbo. Composed of pure chaos-matter, it is constantly shifting and is very unstable to work with. The githzerai, however, have found ways to forge karach into powerful weapons. To wield a karach blade is considered a highest honour, and only but a few non-githzerai were ever granted it. It is a signature weapon of the Zerth, those indoctrinated into the teachings of Zerthimon.

A karach blade is only as powerful as its wielder's mind and his ability to control chaos-stuff. The higher the wielder's Wisdom, the stronger karach becomes. Only those of Wisdom over 16 may wield the blade; otherwise it is as sharp as butter. A chaos blade is always considered chaotic (Anarchic) and of masterwork design for purposes of crafting, but has no innate attack bonus. Karach is so unstable that it cannot be further enchanted.

A karach weapon may be sundered (hardness 20+WIS modifier, hp 10+WIS modifier), but is just as easily repaired with a WIS DC 20. This must be done within one minute (an attempt is a full-round action), or the chaos matter dissipates.

As the wielder grows in Wisdom and understanding of the Multiverse, so increases his control over karach. The weapon becomes sharper and he more attuned to its possibilities. One thing is requisite: the blade is only as strong as its wielder, and whenever he has doubts as to his place in the Multiverse or his mission, his blade wavers.

CHARACTER LEVEL: EFFECTS
------------------------
Levels 01-05: the blade is considered anarchic
Levels 06-10: the blade is considered +1 anarchic
Levels 11-15: the blade is considered +1 anarchic keen
Levels 15-20: the blade is considered +2 anarchic keen wounding
Levels 21-25: the blade is considered +3 anarchic keen wounding
Levels 26-30: the blade is considered +3 anarchic keen wounding vorpal
Levels 31-35: the blade is considered +4 anarchic keen wounding vorpal
Levels 36-40: the blade is considered +5 anarchic keen wounding vorpal

Okay, so I get that this may be too powerful, but I'm thinking of offsetting it with XP expenditure: say you must spend 50% your XP each of the threshhold levels (i.e. you've achieved level 6, but must earn 50% more XP than normally to reach level 7).

Does it still make it too powerful?

I'm welcome to all and any suggestions as to the weapon's progression, either based on level or wisdom score/modifier.

Glimbur
2009-08-07, 09:27 PM
A quick and dirty way to balance it with regards to WBL is that the Chaos stuff requires sacrifice of valuable things to keep growing with you. This makes it a lot like Ancestral Relic, which is a feat whose source I do not remember.

This is going to be a weapon for clerics, druids, swordsages, paladins with a high point buy; many melee fighters simply don't have the Wis to make it work.

Doc Roc
2009-08-07, 09:42 PM
I would... consider that a fairly weak weapon over all. I think it's fine as stands, but could use a buff.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-07, 10:01 PM
It should increase in power based on the user's wisdom and ECL, not just wisdom. But it's cool. And, yes, it needs a power boost.

Domigorgon
2009-08-08, 07:09 AM
Well, I'm playing in a high-powered campaign with a githzerai ninja (racial bonus on wisdom and also class necessity for AC, like the monk), and I'd like a karach kukri, but my DM thinks it's too powerful this way.
Okay, maybe prerequisite of WIS 16 is too high, could be lowered to say 14, but no more - it is granted only to the wisest, after all, and usually only to githzerai. It's not meant as a weapon for everybody.

When you say buff, what would you suggest? Damage bonus (or penalty) with WIS modifier? Instead of or added to STR modifier?

Baron Corm
2009-08-08, 10:35 AM
It's weak because at level 20, it's only +7.

I would just reflavor the weapon you would normally have bought. When everyone goes to buy their gear, you spend time meditating with your weapon or whatever, and spending money on meditation incense and stuff, and then you have your upgraded weapon (which is only upgraded when wielded by you). The amount of wealth you have available to spend on this is generally tied to your level, so it works out. Keep in that stuff about minimum Wisdom requirement and sundering, just increase the base price of your weapon by +8,000 or so gp. The fact that the weapon functions as a stick for people who haven't meditated with it should further increase the price by... +3,000 gp?

If you want to tie Wisdom modifier in, say that wielding the weapon uses your Wisdom modifier instead of your Strength modifier on damage rolls. Possibly require a feat to use the weapon in this way, or increase the price a bit more. Then take one of the feats that gives you Wisdom modifier to attack rolls already in existence, and you're all set.