PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else expecting this to come up again? *spoiler*

Turkish Delight
2009-08-07, 10:11 PM
Panel 5. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html)

"I had some tips on using evil spell components that I was hoping to trade for helping me find some evil chalice that my supervisor won't shut up about."

Wonder if this could be a planted hint of things to come, ala Sabine's 'supervisors'?

Herald Alberich
2009-08-07, 10:32 PM
It's possible, but it sounds like just a cliched evil artifact without more importance. Besides, Qarr has new supervisors now.

But then again, foreshadowing has come in much more subtle flavors (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html) than that in this comic, so ...

Turkish Delight
2009-08-07, 10:41 PM
It's possible, but it sounds like just a cliched evil artifact without more importance. Besides, Qarr has new supervisors now.

But then again, foreshadowing has come in much more subtle flavors (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html) than that in this comic, so ...

Yep. The main problem with this being foreshadowing is simply that I don't see how or why an 'evil chalice' would fit into the current plotline. We've already got our MacGuffin.

Things could change, though.

Herald Alberich
2009-08-07, 10:45 PM
Hey, you know, we might have seen it already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html) - and now it's buried in the rubble of Dorukan's dungeon.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-07, 10:56 PM
Isn't it possible that Girard, being the sneaky illusionist/tracker that he is, was able to seal his gate to a movable location (or at least a location that seemed movable) and that this is, in fact, the chalice, which is disguised as a minor magic item and hidden in plain view with subtle wards on it while the giant illusion trap in the desert is a decoy?

Thus, the chalice could in fact be important (and the MacGuffin).

Whether or not this is the case, I'm expecting some multilayer deception at the next gate.

NerfTW
2009-08-08, 09:56 AM
I always thought it was yet another reference to Frudu and the Ming.

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-08, 10:01 AM

That's what I thought, too. I mean, you don't want this to get messy by adding Qarr's previous supervisors to the plot, do you? (Although it could mean yet another of the supposed 9+ "sides" in the conflict, or possibly a B-plot giving some character development to Qarr and the IFCC.)

TheBibliophile
2009-08-08, 10:03 AM

Call me dim, but I don't see the foreshadowing.

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-08, 10:05 AM
Call me dim, but I don't see the foreshadowing.

The MitD hoping for something to happen. (See: V and O-Chul's escape.)

Turkish Delight
2009-08-08, 10:25 AM

Eh. I doubt it. A Ming is a vase, not a chalice.

I don't think we'll be seeing Qarr's previous supervisor. He'd likely be too similiar to the IFCC. But the 'evil chalice' itself? It just seems to have foreshadowing written all over it.

daggaz
2009-08-08, 11:46 AM
Eh. I doubt it. A Ming is a vase, not a chalice.

Lol... A "Ming" is actually an ancient Chinese dynasty, not a vase. The vases where named after the dynasty, and are called "Ming vases," or "this exemplary piece of china from the Ming Dynasty" if you are at Sutherby's.. Indeed, the great Ming Dynasty produced far more types of china than just vases, nor did they limit themselves to porcelain vessels in the scope of their vast, centuries-spanning cultural production and inventiveness.

At any rate, such vases are not referred to as "Mings" or "a Ming" or such nonsense, unless your name happens to be Ali-G.

pflare
2009-08-08, 11:52 AM
The only way I could story is if it meshed with another character's story ie Haley's dad, nale's dad etc...
But I find it far more likely that it was just mentioned and won't come back.

Turkish Delight
2009-08-08, 12:04 PM
Lol... A "Ming" is actually an ancient Chinese dynasty, not a vase. The vases where named after the dynasty, and are called "Ming vases," or "this exemplary piece of china from the Ming Dynasty" if you are at Sutherby's.. Indeed, the great Ming Dynasty produced far more types of china than just vases, nor did they limit themselves to porcelain vessels in the scope of their vast, centuries-spanning cultural production and inventiveness.

At any rate, such vases are not referred to as "Mings" or "a Ming" or such nonsense, unless your name happens to be Ali-G.

Heh. Dude, I'm a history major living in Taiwan to study Mandarin Chinese. I know what the Ming dynasty is. In the west, however, when people say a 'Ming', the implication is a Ming vase, certainly not a chalice.