PDA

View Full Version : Are you all happy now? (some spoilers disscussed)

Archonic Energy
2006-06-28, 05:12 PM
ok. so after months of quotes, injokes, and references the inevitable has happened. i have gone out and baught serenity & firefly...

OMG. how did this series bomb?
Who do i have to shoot over at fox to get them to make more!

How could you introduce me to this knowing that there is no more...

the questions that will never be answered...

i think i'll have to watch them again... and again... and again.

now the hard part does it rate higher than B5 in my eyes... answer in about 3,000,000,000 years

Tiferet
2006-06-28, 05:14 PM
You know, I have never seen Firefly or Serenity. Are they really that good? I'm kinda picky when it comes to what kinda sci-fi stuff I like. I've yet to find a science fiction novel I like, and besides Star Trek, Star Wars, and B5 there aren't really any tv shows/movies I like that are sci-fi either.

Midnight Son
2006-06-28, 05:21 PM
They are that good. Even better than Babylon 5(imo). Better than Star Wars. Better than any Sci-Fi I have ever seen. Except for the Movie, anyway. It was good, but not as good as the TV show. The story just needs to be told in series format.

Greebo
2006-06-28, 05:22 PM
You know, I have never seen Firefly or Serenity. Are they really that good? I'm kinda picky when it comes to what kinda sci-fi stuff I like. I've yet to find a science fiction novel I like, and besides Star Trek, Star Wars, and B5 there aren't really any tv shows/movies I like that are sci-fi either.
Firefly is worth a look. Netflix it. I'm equally picky about m sci-fi and I ended up being hooked on Firefly.

It is a space western, and focuses more on characters than on technology. When I started disc 1, I didn't have high expectations, but I quickly bumped the entire series up to the top of the queue and am awaiting Serenity from Netflix now.

As for how it died? Fox killed it, pure and simple. They ran shows out of order, pre-empted episodes w/o warning, ran horrible slots, and so forth. The series creator has stated that he'd love to resume work on Firefly if someone would buy it from Fox but he'll never work with Fox again. (Wiki firefly for more).

TinSoldier
2006-06-28, 05:23 PM
They are that good. Even better than Babylon 5(imo). Better than Star Wars. Better than any Sci-Fi I have ever seen. Except for the Movie, anyway. It was good, but not as good as the TV show. The story just needs to be told in series format.I've only seen Serenity; not the series. But I can't imagine it being better than Babylon 5!

I'll have to rent it sometime...

Greebo
2006-06-28, 05:26 PM
I've only seen Serenity; not the series. But I can't imagine it being better than Babylon 5!

I'll have to rent it sometime...I'm not sure I'd agree with Firefly > Bab5 - but its really not fair to make a comparison. Bab 5 was a complete 5 year series planned out in advance and developed all the way through to completion.

Bab5 is also pure sci-fi. Firefly is Space-Western. Related genres but not QUITE the same. Firefly has no aliens, no wonder-tech, etc.

WampaX
2006-06-28, 05:26 PM

Well, if the trend continues, we'll have another one of these threads started in a month or two about you having watched it.

Really, if you can't afford it (currently ~$35 on amazon), borrow it from a friend (I'm sure one of them has a copy) or rent it. Block off about 3 hours and then see if you need to block off anymore . . . I think I watched it all in one 24hour period.

But hey, don't take my word (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1147368270 ;start=0#0)for how good it is. (Warning, spoilers may ensue) And that's just the most recent one. I think there are at least 5 other threads of a similar vien burried in the Friendly Banter backyard.

Greebo
2006-06-28, 05:29 PM
Netflix is your friend if money is tight and you love movies. The $15 a month plan will let you get 8-10 DVD's a month, 2 at a time. More if you're close enough to a distribution center. We have the 3/month plan and if we send a dvd back on MOnday we have the next one on Wednesday.

A real money saver and its right to your mailbox. Netflix >>> Renting :)

Midnight Son
2006-06-28, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree with Firefly > Bab5 - but its really not fair to make a comparison. Bab 5 was a complete 5 year series planned out in advance and developed all the way through to completion.

Bab5 is also pure sci-fi. Firefly is Space-Western. Related genres but not QUITE the same. Firefly has no aliens, no wonder-tech, etc. That's why I added the IMO. I never really liked Babylon 5 that much, so to me, Firefly is the better show. To Sci-Fi geeks, B5 may be better.

Hungerdog
2006-06-28, 05:57 PM
I loved them both.

The same way I can love both a Porterhouse and a Ribeye. Same basic stuff (sci-fi), but a different cut and a different texture & flavor.

As to why Firefly tanked---there just wasn't enough of a following to make the all important ratings/ad revenue level required to keep the suits happy.

Curse the suits, anyway...

Sneak
2006-06-28, 06:15 PM
The one thing I have to say about Firefly: many people have not watched it...but every single person I have ever met who has watched it has loved it. And I am not exaggerating.

Oh yeah. And if you don't want to buy the boxed set, you can buy the episodes on iTunes for $2.00 apiece. I watched 'em on my iPod.

Archonic Energy
2006-06-28, 06:53 PM
Sorry about starting a new thread WampaX i didn't feel up for some threadromancy

important question: how much do i need to buy the Sci-Fi channel? and get them to commision another series.

i kept half the house laughing at some af the scenes

As for Vs B5... well B5 has a very special place in my heart, it was the first Sci-Fi that didn't seem like the good guy's always win i especially liked watching Londo sink deeper into the abyss only to realise how far he had fallen...

as for being picky with my Sci-Fi.... well lets just say Enterprise isn't part of the star trek family... and i'll kill anyone who say's otherwise.

my only gripe is i now need to learn japaneese to translate some peices... it can't be as hard as klingon was tho.

sleep or another episode... again.

Edit: i REALLY want to use River's quote in my personal text... but someone else is and i don't want to be a copycat... no offence sneak (you're just a cat no copy)

Lilly
2006-06-28, 07:58 PM
I love this board. I really do. It's gotten so many people hooked on firefly, me included.

And what River quote are you wanting to use? There are several that are pretty good.

Archonic Energy
2006-06-28, 08:30 PM
"oh and i can kill you with my brain" (ish. i'll get the direct quote later... when it's not 01:27... do you think i can fit another episode in before i collapse?)

it kinda' goes well with the dark archon motif

and lilly i FIANLLY get both your avi and your text.

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-28, 08:33 PM
"oh and i can kill you with my brain" (ish. i'll get the direct quote later... when it's not 01:27... do you think i can fit another episode in before i collapse?)
someone around here is using that for their avvy text. Can't think of the name, but they have a Blue (psionic goblin) avatar

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-06-28, 08:49 PM
Oh, and it's Chinese, not Japanese. Important distinction.

Jack Squat
2006-06-28, 11:34 PM

And more importantly Mandarin(sp?) Chinese. Apparantly there's more than one type (forget the other name, but Mandarin is the main one)

Archonic Energy
2006-06-29, 06:56 AM
someone around here is using that for their avvy text. Can't think of the name, but they have a Blue (psionic goblin) avatar
that's why i think using it would make me look like a copycat... and i've seen in in someone's sig too

only to the chinese/japanese!

RobbieOC
2006-06-29, 04:34 PM
The other is Cantonese.

Firefly... simply amazing. My room mates and I watched it pretty much all in one sitting... as close as you can during finals week... oops. I can watch it over and over and I'm always amazed at how awesome it is.

Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."
Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

Hoseki
2006-06-29, 05:40 PM
only to the chinese/japanese!

Not true. Chinese is tonal, and Japanese is not. They're very different languages, they just look sort of similar.

And they only look the same to the uneducated.

But Firefly: Haven't seen it, but I want to. My sister has seen and loved it, and she is a pretty good judge of that kind of stuff.

Sneak
2006-06-29, 05:42 PM
I have a completely serious question: has anyone ever met someone who HAS watched Firefly AND didn't like it?

I haven't.

Alarra
2006-06-29, 05:50 PM
I haven't either.

And it really is -that- good.

Lilly
2006-06-29, 06:00 PM
I have a completely serious question: has anyone ever met someone who HAS watched Firefly AND didn't like it?

I haven't.

Yes. We tried to get my best friend to watch it, and she just didn't like it. I don't know how much of it she actually saw, but I got the impression it wasn't much.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-29, 06:10 PM
Yes. We tried to get my best friend to watch it, and she just didn't like it. I don't know how much of it she actually saw, but I got the impression it wasn't much.

I didn't quite get the series from just a few scenes but a friend played 2 scenes specifically for me to get me to want to watch the series: The standoff with Simon and the agent that Mal interrupts by shooting the guy dead and the scene of Mal and Wash being tortured yet having a discussion about Zoe where Mal agrees to sleep with Zoe 'cause somehow that'll make Wash feel better. Well, I had to borrow the series at that point and that led to buying the movie. After I finish my move, I'll be buying the series for myself because I've only seen each episode once [The horror. The horror. :o ]

From Lilly's sig space:
"What are YOU doing July 7th?"

Sadly not seeing this film. Brother's wedding the next day and all. It'll have to wait until the week after. :'(

Midnight Son
2006-06-29, 06:13 PM

I haven't.My parents really liked it till they realized what Inara does for a living. Then they decided that it wasn't really for them. Aside from that, everyone I've introduced to it has loved it.

Edit. July 7? I'll be driving back from Coos Bay, OR after visiting my new(and only) niece. I'll see it on the 8th though.

Spuddly
2006-06-30, 01:10 AM
I saw some of it. It was sort of mediocre sci-fi. Then I watched Serenity. I kept waiting for it to make sense and get better, but instead it just ended. :(

Archonic Energy
2006-06-30, 02:39 AM
Lilly i LOVE your new sig...

buffet table. he he he.

Gralamin
2006-06-30, 03:13 AM
I havent watched it either but I guess according to this I should...

Also on July 7th I'll be at the AnimeThon!

ElfLad
2006-06-30, 03:57 AM
I've seen the movie and I loved it. The story was awesome, but what really had me sold was the fight scenes. There are a whole bunch of movies that try to impress you with the fastest scenes they can handle (Matrix comes to mind) but Serenity had some well-paced fights that moved at a reasonable speed. It was fun to watch. And the assassin guy was great. And the scene at the beginning where River has the dream and the teacher just stabs her in the forehead. And... well the whole movie was awesome. Haven't seen Firefly yet, though.

Greebo
2006-06-30, 08:39 AM

I haven't.

My wife thinks its eye candy, but she's never watched an episode all the way through.

I'm working on her...

Greebo
2006-06-30, 08:42 AM
RE the use of chinese...

Watch the bonus features on Serenity. Josh Whedon sees the bilingual nature as the result of a merging of the two major cultures after leaving Earth that Was. Makes sense in a way - if we leave the planet, we're not going to maintain the same cultural distinctions currently reinforced by geography.

Dr._Weird
2006-06-30, 08:57 AM
I've seen the movie and I loved it. The story was awesome, but what really had me sold was the fight scenes. There are a whole bunch of movies that try to impress you with the fastest scenes they can handle (Matrix comes to mind) but Serenity had some well-paced fights that moved at a reasonable speed. It was fun to watch. And the assassin guy was great. And the scene at the beginning where River has the dream and the teacher just stabs her in the forehead. And... well the whole movie was awesome. Haven't seen Firefly yet, though.

Thanks for spoiling everything I haven't seen in a non-spoiler thread!

redheadedtriplet
2006-06-30, 01:01 PM
Thanks for spoiling everything I haven't seen in a non-spoiler thread!

But... all that really spoils is the trailer and the first 5 minutes of the movie. There are bigger fish to catch and spoilers to spoil out there.

I'm gald the show existed at all, and would have been overjoyed if it was still on the air. But if it was still on the air, would we have gotten our Big Damn Movie?

So which would you rather have had, Big Damn Movie or more Shiny Show?

Midnight Son
2006-06-30, 01:04 PM
But... all that really spoils is the trailer and the first 5 minutes of the movie. There are bigger fish to catch and spoilers to spoil out there.

I'm gald the show existed at all, and would have been overjoyed if it was still on the air. But if it was still on the air, would we have gotten our Big Damn Movie?

So which would you rather have had, Big Damn Movie or more Shiny Show?More shiny show Dammit!

The movie was done because the show was cancelled, but it would have been sooo much better in series format. He just didn't have the time in the movie to tell the story properly. While I enjoyed it and am glad he did it, it's quality was nowhere near the quality of the show.

Archonic Energy
2006-07-01, 02:13 AM
More shiny show Dammit!

The movie was done because the show was cancelled, but it would have been sooo much better in series format. He just didn't have the time in the movie to tell the story properly. While I enjoyed it and am glad he did it, it's quality was nowhere near the quality of the show.

i'm inclined to agree... but what do i know i'e only seen them all twice... so far... *loads disk one into laptop*... what? i have a 12 hr shift at work 8)...

the series does work better than the film IMHO but then again i could be saying that because there is more series than film.
and there are certian things in the film that bug me... most of all are the *SNIP*

WARNING spoilers may ruin your appitite

Sneak
2006-07-01, 06:59 AM
Dammit, AE! If it's not on a white background, don't make the spoiler text white!

Grrrr...I haven't seen the movie. Ah, well, I guess that's all the more incentive to see it.

Archonic Energy
2006-07-01, 10:18 AM
Dammit, AE! If it's not on a white background, don't make the spoiler text white!

Grrrr...I haven't seen the movie. Ah, well, I guess that's all the more incentive to see it.

sorry sneak. what's the colour for the cream background?

TinSoldier
2006-07-02, 02:10 AM
Okay so I've rented the entire series plus the movie (which I've seen). The first episode, Serenity (1) was okay. Now I'm watching the second episode, The Train Job. It's better. I'll post more as I go along.

Midnight Son
2006-07-02, 02:41 AM
Okay so I've rented the entire series plus the movie (which I've seen). The first episode, Serenity (1) was okay. Now I'm watching the second episode, The Train Job. It's better. I'll post more as I go along.
And that was the last anyone ever heard from TinSoldier as he was lost to the world due to his newfound addiction...

Archonic Energy
2006-07-02, 05:53 AM
And that was the last anyone ever heard from TinSoldier as he was lost to the world due to his newfound addiction...

sounds about right... *Loads Disk 4 into Laptop*

TinSoldier
2006-07-05, 10:22 AM
Okay. I finished the series and watched Serenity again. It was pretty good all told. It took me a few episodes to get into it and I know I was distracted during a couple of episodes that I'll have to watch again.

Overall, very good. Most series' first seasons are not their best so it's sad that we won't be able to see Firefly improve even more over time.

But the good news is that because it is so short, I'm able to buy the entire series on DVD and watch it at my leisure!

Favorite episode: War Stories
Favorite character: Kaylee
Favorite villain: Jubal Early