PDA

View Full Version : NPC Class: The Rapscallion

Figgin of Chaos
2009-08-08, 04:38 AM
The scourge of every bustling marketplace, Rapscallion scampers through streets and alleyways, picking pockets and swiping everything from apples to artifacts. With an innocent, childish face, he can charm mercy out of almost any vindictive merchant. But when that stops working, he is likely to join or start a street gang.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0

3rd|+1|+1|+3|+1

4th|+2|+1|+4|+1

5th|+2|+1|+4|+1

6th|+3|+2|+5|+2

7th|+3|+2|+5|+2

8th|+4|+2|+6|+2

9th|+4|+3|+6|+3

10th|+5|+3|+7|+3

11th|+5|+3|+7|+3

12th|+6/+1|+4|+8|+4

13th|+6/+1|+4|+8|+4

14th|+7/+2|+4|+9|+4

15th|+7/+2|+5|+9|+5

16th|+8/+3|+5|+10|+5

17th|+8/+3|+5|+10|+5

18th|+9/+4|+6|+11|+6

19th|+9/+4|+6|+11|+6

20th|+10/+5|+6|+12|+6

[/table]

Hit Dice: D6

Skill points at 1st level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + Int modifier.

The Rapscallion's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

The Rapscallion is proficient with the sling, the club, and the dagger. He is not proficient with any other weapons, nor is he proficient with any type of armor or shields.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-08-08, 08:26 AM
You made an unprestigious class! :smallwink:

What about proficiency with the club? Charming street kids ought to be able to hit people with sticks fairly efficiently.

Figgin of Chaos
2009-08-08, 02:21 PM
Good call, added club proficiency.

Milskidasith
2009-08-08, 02:27 PM
I honestly don't like it much; it really doesn't seem to have much flavor at all and, while it's an NPC class, it's not at all different in flavor or mechanics than a rogue, just with much worse skill/BAB progression.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-08, 02:30 PM
I honestly don't like it much; it really doesn't seem to have much flavor at all and, while it's an NPC class, it has no flavor difference from an actual rogue.

It's an NPC class. The warrior class doesn't really have much difference from the Fighter class other than it's weaker. The fighter is well trained, while the warrior could just be some random, unimportant guard dude. The rogue is a trained spy/infiltrator/smooth talker, while the Rapscallion is a uh... rapscallion.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-08, 02:35 PM
It's an NPC class. The warrior class doesn't really have much difference from the Fighter class other than it's weaker. The fighter is well trained, while the warrior could just be some random, unimportant guard dude. The rogue is a trained spy/infiltrator/smooth talker, while the Rapscallion is a uh... rapscallion.

Agreed. I tend to like low-usefulness NPC classes for flavor, I admit. This one seems good for any sort of street urchin or other bothersome sort, though I could see a middle BAB as fitting.

Milskidasith
2009-08-08, 02:36 PM

So? That doesn't mean that all NPC classes have to be flavorless and be "look, here's an *insert class* but without class features and lower numbers. Why does this need a class again?"

Also, if I wanted a class to add flavor to the setting... I'd just add a rogue! I don't need to create flavor text for a class that is "a rogue, but weaker;" I'd just have the flavor NPCs be weaker rogues.

Jergmo
2009-08-08, 04:41 PM
Wouldn't a character like that just be an Expert trained in Dex/Cha based skills?

horus42
2009-08-08, 11:28 PM
I would just like to point out that Rapscallion is officially my new favorite word. Not much to say about the class, though. (Although that's mostly because I don't know anything about the d20 system that I didn't learn from oots.)