PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] New use for Intimidate skill

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-08-08, 05:35 AM
In the normal rules, Intimidate is a pretty useless skill.
Older editions of D&D had a mechanic called "Morale" for NPCs and monsters - it set a chance that they would run away when the fight got nasty. There were all sorts of issues with that method that required house rules, but in essence it was (I think) a good idea.

This new use of the Intimidate skill aims to make it a more useful skill, and to address the gap left by the absence of Morale rules in D&D3.5, etc.

Please let me know what you think!

Intimidate (Cha)

New use - Combat Intimidation: In combat, the first time you deal enough damage to drop or otherwise clearly and violently neutralise an enemy, you can make an Intimidate check against all allies of the defeated enemy with line of sight to him (DC 15 + target's WILL save modifier) as a free action. Failure means that the target is unintimidated. Success indicates that the target panics, possibly surrendering.

Normal Check: (as per SRD) With a successful check, a character can forcibly persuade another character to perform some task or behave in a certain way. A character’s Intimidate check is opposed by the target’s level check (1d20 + the target’s character level or Hit Dice). Any modifiers that a target may have on Will saving throws against fear effects apply to this level check. If the character succeeds, he or she may treat the target as 'friendly' for 10 minutes, but only for purposes of actions taken while in the character’s presence. (That is, the target retains his or her normal attitude, but will chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on the character’s behalf while intimidated.)
Circumstances dramatically affect the effectiveness of an Intimidate check.
There are limits to what a successful Intimidate check can do.
The character can’t force someone to obey his or her every command or do something that endangers that person’s life.
If the character fails by more than 5, the target may actually do the opposite of what the character wishes.

Try Again?: No. Even if the initial check succeeds, the other character can only be intimidated so much, and trying again doesn’t help. If the initial check fails, the other character has become more firmly resolved to resist the intimidator, and trying again is futile.

Special: A character can take 10 when making an Intimidate check, but can’t take 20.
A character immune to fear effects can’t be intimidated.
A character may add a +2 bonus to his or her Intimidate check for every size category the character is larger than his or her target. Conversely, the character takes a –2 penalty to his or her check for every size category the character is smaller than his or her target.
A character with the Confident feat gets a +2 bonus on all Intimidate checks and on level checks to resist intimidation.

Time: A Intimidate check in combat is free action, as described. Other Intimidate checks are full-round actions.

SinsI
2009-08-08, 05:57 AM
Checking the same skill twice is never good(It is used in both your roll and in your opponent's one).

Make it an automatic Will Save for all targets in line of sight (DC equal to your Intimidate skill + the defeated monster's ECL).

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-08-08, 08:42 AM
Checking the same skill twice is never good(It is used in both your roll and in your opponent's one).

Make it an automatic Will Save for all targets in line of sight (DC equal to your Intimidate skill + the defeated monster's ECL).
Having less checks is always good, thanks for pointing that out.

The mechanic I made accounts for the toughness of the enemies witnessing your take down. I really want to keep that in...
Reducing the use to one check (the Will save), I'd prefer to have the DC as 10 + Intimidate + (your ECL - target's ECL). So the tougher the enemy with regards to you, the harder it is to intimidate them.

Better?

Kaihaku
2009-08-08, 08:46 AM
I've often rolled Intimidate after downing a foe but a certain of my DMs always just ignored it. It's nice to see some actual rules. Now to get him to implement it...

AstralFire
2009-08-08, 08:48 AM
The Will Save you have is fine, and specify that it cannot work on targets with a Challenge Rating greater than yours + 4.

For playable races, CR = ECL usually anyway, while many monsters have no ECL but all do have CR.

SinsI
2009-08-08, 09:30 AM
Having less checks is always good, thanks for pointing that out.

The mechanic I made accounts for the toughness of the enemies witnessing your take down. I really want to keep that in...
Reducing the use to one check (the Will save), I'd prefer to have the DC as 10 + Intimidate + (your ECL - target's ECL). So the tougher the enemy with regards to you, the harder it is to intimidate them.

Better?
Your ECL is already accounted for in your Intimidate skill. You need to include both the dead guy's ECL and the affected monster's ECL in it (huge dragon gets a very good bonus if you kill one of his kobold servants, and they get a huge penalty if you kill the dragon).
If you have no points in Intimidate it should be an automatic save(no auto fail on 1). Make it a DC of Intimidate + (dead ECL- target ECL) - 5. That should be good enough.