PDA

View Full Version : Hello and OotS hiatus

Amazon warrior
2009-08-08, 06:10 AM
Hi! I'm new to the forums but have been an OotS fan for several years. I just popped in to say that I hope Rich enjoys his break and that I very much look forward to the series restarting at the end of August. Thanks! :)

(If this isn't right place to post this or there's another thread like it, please chastise me appropriately. 'kthxbye!)

Ancalagon
2009-08-08, 06:13 AM
The only really "wrong" thing about your thread was the last "word". ;)

(You can use the most recent discussion-thread for stuff like that... but I doubt anyone really bothers if you don't.)

Lord Herman
2009-08-08, 07:36 AM
I think reactions to Rich's hiatus merit a thread of their own. Also, welcome to the boards! :smallsmile:

Rich, I hope you enjoy your break. You deserve it!

Narthon the Bold
2009-08-08, 07:36 AM
Thank you Mr. Burlew for letting us know what is going on.

Squark
2009-08-08, 07:51 AM
Indeed, good to know that Rich is taking a break to recoup.

Stupid 60-second post limit.

Fungusamnguss
2009-08-08, 09:08 AM
The way I see it, if a break once every few years is what the fella wants and needs to continue his great work here, then I for one will not have any complaints at all. Personally, if it were me, the breaks would be far more often than once every 2 years lol.

Anyway, hope you have a good time on your vacation away from OotS Mr.Burlew. We will all still be here when you get ready to return!

SteveDJ
2009-08-08, 09:17 AM
I was even going to suggest taking an extra week off, and use that extra time at the end to prepare a really big super-strip to kick off the new story arc, and post it on... 9/9/9 (Sept 9, 2009).

You know, have a little fun with that special date. :D

Elderac
2009-08-08, 09:24 AM
Enjoy your well earned rest.

FafnerMorell
2009-08-08, 10:13 AM
Have a great break, Rich! It's the vacation time of year, so enjoy yours. And thanks for the timeline so I don't keep checking every day for an update.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-08-08, 10:14 AM
Enjoy your time off Rich; and take care of yourself. We'll be here when you get back!:smallbiggrin:

Squirrel_Token
2009-08-08, 10:35 AM
Have a nice, restful, recharging break, Giant :) You deserve it!

Spoomeister
2009-08-08, 10:42 AM
You take a lot of flack from new or impatient users from time to time regarding frequency of updates.

Announcing a specific time - ABC's " "Lost" will return in January 2010" hiatus style - is considerate of your fans, and hopefully gives you the time you need to produce work on a schedule that's right for you.

Here's hoping the next 3 weeks are very, very good to you. I will be eagerly awaiting the next series. Thank you for a tremendous story.

waterpenguin43
2009-08-08, 10:46 AM
Have a nice break from OotS, Rich, and enjoy wherever you're going (or a relaxing break at home).

mofabulous
2009-08-08, 11:20 AM
I'm hoping its a hiatus to start work on next book. I have every book hes made so far and my collection is pleading for another book to join them. :smallbiggrin:

Morquard
2009-08-08, 11:24 AM
Or he might simply think that he deserves a few weeks vacation sometimes. :)

Either way, thanks for a great comic Rich!

Berserk Monk
2009-08-08, 11:25 AM
Hopefully Rich will have the next book done after the hiatus. He said the current story arc is over.

Helanna
2009-08-08, 11:33 AM
Well, I can't say that I'm happy that there will be a hiatus, but I've never been opposed to hiatuses that happen for a good reason (i.e, author health, preventing burnout/decreased quality).

So yeah, I'd prefer no strips for 3 weeks, then a more frequent update schedule with good-quality strips than having just a couple of strips during those weeks whose quality may not have been so great.

So yeah, enjoy your break, Rich, and thanks for warning us about it!

Frosty
2009-08-08, 11:52 AM
Please rest well and recharge!

TBone
2009-08-08, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the update dude! I find it very suspect that your hiatus coincides with my birthday. if you want to come tap the keg let me know!

factotum
2009-08-08, 12:09 PM
Hopefully Rich will have the next book done after the hiatus. He said the current story arc is over.

You think he's going to spend the next three weeks drawing a couple of hundred strips in order to complete the next book? :smallconfused:

servetus
2009-08-08, 12:28 PM
I certainly do not begrudge Mr. Burlew a break. I appreciate the courtesy of letting us know he's taking one.

tribble
2009-08-08, 12:45 PM
hope you get well soon, Rich! :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2009-08-08, 12:56 PM
Well the notice is almost necessary to keep us from checking back daily and eventually feeling down about having no strip. I appreciate the effort it saves me.

Aggeliki74
2009-08-08, 01:22 PM
It's not like we miss a lot anyway, probably one update.
Good thing to know the exact day of his return though so we don't
have to check everyday and leave dissapointed.
Let's hope that he recharges his batteries and manages to return to his usual good self.

Alteran
2009-08-08, 01:29 PM
You think he's going to spend the next three weeks drawing a couple of hundred strips in order to complete the next book? :smallconfused:

I think he means getting ready to publish the next print book. The main comics for it are done (as of today), but the actual book surely has more to be done before it can be published.

Zweee
2009-08-08, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the update dude! I find it very suspect that your hiatus coincides with my birthday.

My birthday too!!!

Trebuchet
2009-08-08, 02:08 PM
Have a great vacation, Giant. (You haven't taken a break since 2007?!?! It is about time!)

BlueWizard
2009-08-08, 02:08 PM
Take your time, and recharge Rich!

We'll wait! :smallcool:

Bibliomancer
2009-08-08, 02:18 PM
I hope that the hiatus is relaxing for him. Also, if we're lucky we'll have finished discussing the current comic by the end of it.

FabuVinny
2009-08-08, 02:34 PM
Don't expect to see the book anytime soon. War and XPs wasn't released until August 2008 while the hiatus after ending the online strips for that book ended on September 17th 2007.

This is just a well deserved break from working on the comic. The work for book 4 will be done later.

Hawkeye
2009-08-08, 03:03 PM
I hope that the hiatus is relaxing for him. Also, if we're lucky we'll have finished discussing the current comic by the end of it.

It's sad because it's true.

Anyway, take a nice break Giant, we'll still be here when you get back.

Hydro
2009-08-08, 04:09 PM
I knew there would be a thread like this for me to post to. :)

Thanks for a great story, see you in a few weeks!

pendell
2009-08-08, 05:03 PM
Rich Burlew,

You're an outstanding writer and you have certainly earned a well deserved vacation. Enjoy it, and I look forward to the further adventures of OOTS when you return.

I would ask, however, that you not allow we, your fanatically loyal and rabid fan base, to push you into returning before you're ready. I'd rather you take longer and come back strong than rush it and hurt yourself.

So: Godspeed, happy vacation, and look forward to seeing you soon!

Respecfully,

Brian P.

Adeptus
2009-08-08, 05:19 PM
Have a great holiday Giant

This latest plot twist (the ice-age planet glimpsed in the rift) made me realise I'd love to play in a campaign of yours, even if it was under silly D&D rules. To put it more clearly: You sir, rock. http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/style_emoticons/Pook/cool.gif

Sylian
2009-08-08, 06:09 PM
It'd be a bit unfair if everyone else got a vacation and you didn't, eh Rich? Take care. Sure, it'll be a bit irritating having to wait such a long time for the update, but eh, I'm sure we can handle it. :smallsmile:

Dizcorp
2009-08-08, 06:30 PM
Also, seconded.

Here's hoping the OMG WHERE COMIC? posts are few and far between while you take your holiday.

I eagerly await the next phase in what has so far been a cracking story.

Dizcorp

Rotipher
2009-08-08, 06:30 PM
Excellent book, Rich! Now you go relax and enjoy yourself, because you've outdone yourself in recent strips and have more than earned a break. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-08, 06:33 PM
I think you deserve until October, personally, but I still wish you a great vacation.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-08, 07:12 PM
Have a nice vacation Rich! What a tweest!

epollo79
2009-08-08, 07:21 PM
Rich, enjoy yourself and keep healthy! You've created a compelling world filled with interesting characters. Keep up the good work.

shadzar
2009-08-09, 03:33 PM
Welcome Amazon Warrior

As for being on hiatus, I am a bit greedy. I want...quality over quantity. If lack of health, rest, writer's block, time causes the quality to degrade then a little break is needed to fix any of those things.

So whatever needs to be done to ensure the quality of the comic is all good. (Especially if it raises health levels, and lowers stress levels.)

Meg
2009-08-10, 09:01 AM
I agree with everyone above. I do hope Mr. Burlew has a restful vacation. He certainly deserves it!

Optimystik
2009-08-10, 09:35 AM

If HE'S lucky, you mean. :smallwink:

factotum
2009-08-10, 10:41 AM
I personally wonder why he doesn't take an announced hiatus more often...after all, people who do normal jobs get to take a few weeks' holiday every year, why shouldn't the Giant do the same? Recharge the ol' batteries a bit more than once a book!

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 03:08 PM
I'd take a longer vacation than he does. mainly from his fans who argue over every little detail in his comic.:smalltongue: come on. you guys all know it's true.

jameslt0
2009-08-10, 06:31 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forums but have been an OotS fan for several years. I just popped in to say that I hope Rich enjoys his break and that I very much look forward to the series restarting at the end of August. Thanks! :)

(If this isn't right place to post this or there's another thread like it, please chastise me appropriately. 'kthxbye!)

I hope Rich enjoys his break as well. It is well deserved with all the great comics he has already put out.