PDA

View Full Version : i need help bad

nysisobli
2009-08-08, 06:16 AM
I have not talked to my employer yet, seeing as i work night.

At 9:40 pm i was getting a box out of the freezer for an elderly woman i work with, when i piece of cardboard fell out and lodged itself into my eye. I immediately flushed it but nothing came out. I spent maybe 10 minutes flushing it. So at this point it was approx 9:50 i promptly found my team lead, or assistant manager and informed him. He told me to find my manager, i could not find him. After looking for half hour we found him outside screwing around on the side of the building with a construction worker who is remodeling the store. We informed him what happened.He said its not a big deal flush your eye out. I did for another ten minutes, and he said you allright to go back to work? I said i still need to see the doctor and he told me we will see how you feel in a little while. I went back to my station, i have had some previous attendance problems and am on the fence of getting fired. He goes back there ten minutes later and said ill go fill out the paper work, after asking me how i was again. He did not finish the paperwork until 11:22 so he denied me medical care for approximately 20 minutes. I now have to miss from 2:15 am 8/8/09 until 9:00 pm 8/10/09 is there anything i can do about getting my pay?

Jack Squat
2009-08-08, 06:26 AM
I assume that the days you have to miss are related to your eye injury? If so, fill out workers comp.

I would also complain to HR, corporate, whoever about your manager, and probably your team lead. Eye injuries are nothing to take lightly, even if it is just a piece of cardboard - that if your description is accurate, you couldn't remove by flushing out.

nysisobli
2009-08-08, 06:29 AM
the days i miss are related to my eye injury, and i thought workman's comp was for injuries 3 days or longer

Innis Cabal
2009-08-08, 06:30 AM
It depends on your employer. You should check with them asap

Jack Squat
2009-08-08, 06:31 AM
it varies by state, so it may in your area.

linky (http://www.workerscompensation.com/stateregs.php)

nysisobli
2009-08-08, 06:38 AM
i live in Missouri =(

Keld Denar
2009-08-08, 09:37 AM
If you feel you were wronged by your supervisor in this matter, I'd contact OSHA. Missouri has its own state branch, go with them. Also, right now, sit down and write down as much as you can about what happened, who said what, and what you exactly you did. Try to include as many timestamps as possible to identify what responses you took and how. Be as clear and propper as you can. Think of anyone who can verify different times and events and write their names down and what info you think they'd have.

H & S is serious business. If your employer denied you medical care, and that denial of medical care caused you additional pain and lost time, that is a pretty serious allegation which could cause some serious litigation against your employer. Don't handle this lightly. Also, check out your company's website. There is usually some kind of annonymous HSE/HR reporting email address or phone number. If you really feel you've been wronged, file a complaint asap. ONLY if you have a legitimate complaint though, as false reporting can get you in trouble.

That said, check over your conditions of employment and/or contract. Chances are, if you are hourly, there is no condition for short term disability or personal leave time. If that is true, there probably isn't anything you can do to recover your lost pay. If you are a member of a labor union, I'd contact them.

*Keld is not a lawyer. Always consult a lawyer before considering taking legal action. Advice not valid in all areas, some exclusions may apply, see store for details.

MethosH
2009-08-08, 10:24 AM
I don't know about the regulations where you live... But here in Brazil if a doctor give you a medical absence you have the right to earn the money for the time you need to rest. If you got injuried at work you also recive a money for damage.

You should check how the law works where you live. If they refuse to pay you can call a lawyer... In some places, if they fire you for call a lawyer you can get enough money out of it for never needing to work again :smalltongue:

EDIT:

And always listen to your uncle Keld Denar.