PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance movie

LooseCannon
2006-06-28, 04:30 PM
I hate starting threads, but I saw this on www.fark.com and I felt I had to post it here.

...I hope this hasn't been posted already.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight? (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page &type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=51609)

Midnight Son
2006-06-28, 04:35 PM
As long as Tasslehoff is not played by Elijah Wood, I'd see it.

Sophistemon
2006-06-28, 05:01 PM
Dragonlance? Flergugh!

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-28, 05:02 PM
Dragonlance? Flergugh!

I think that's the working title actually. ;)

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-28, 05:07 PM
As long as Tasslehoff is not played by Elijah Wood, I'd see it.

Jason Marsden will voice Tasslehoff Burrfoot.

Last_resort_33
2006-06-28, 05:39 PM
I played a character called "Goldmoon," a Native American. We played around with accents awhile. I didn't know she was Native A till I got there and so didn't have time to research the accent (not many of those where I come from)

But Goldmoon is NOT native american.... she is Que Shu... ok that is a tribe... but Native american she is not.... I'm just being picky

I love the dragonlance Novels, but I fear this.... won't stop me trying to see it though!

LooseCannon
2006-06-28, 05:42 PM
I imagine the director played into the First Nations stereotype in order to get the point of the character across. Besides, we can't expect Lucy Lawless to know much about D&D, can we? She's no Vin Diesel.

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-06-28, 05:47 PM
I imagine the director played into the First Nations stereotype in order to get the point of the character across. Besides, we can't expect Lucy Lawless to know much about D&D, can we? She's no Vin Diesel.

Thanks. Now my minds eye won't stop running the image of Vin dressed as Xena. :'(

LooseCannon
2006-06-28, 05:49 PM
And you had to post about it? That makes me excruciatingly sad....because now I am thinking it too!

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-06-28, 05:56 PM
The horror...

In any case, I dread it every time something even close to D&D is made into any non game format. The two "movies" are something of the creme de la crap of the lot and a third one (actually based on something other than a drunkard writer's shameful misreprisentation of the genre for a change) doesn't really seem to have much hope of being any good at all.

LooseCannon
2006-06-28, 05:59 PM
I actually liked the second D&D movie. We got together and watched it with my club and had a blast. Wasn't *great*, but it was quite fun to watch and laugh at.

And what about The Gamers? Now there is a great D&D-related movie, if a parody.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-28, 07:35 PM
The screenplay was reportedly adapted from Dragons of Autumn Twilight by George Strayton.

It is by Weis and Hickman

And not only is Goldmoon not Native American she is not American at all. Though the Que-Su are almost exactly like Native Americans just read the nomad human section in the 3.5 dragonlance campign setting.

I just want to see they portray Flint and Tas if they mess that up it will make it or break it for fans. I wonder if they will do the whole core books series.
i.e. Chronicles, Legends, Second Generation, Summer Flame, Dragons of a New age, War of the Souls.

LooseCannon
2006-06-28, 07:36 PM
Wow! I doubt they'll do that much! Those are a lot of books. I imagine we'll be lucky to see the "Dragons" trilogy done...depends on how the first film does, eh?

NeonBlack
2006-06-29, 04:10 AM
<-- is afraid.

The fact that it's an animation film makes me hold some hopes that it will not completely suck. But the "huge Indian animation company" part scares me to death. That, and the fact that neither L.L. or the article's writer don't seem to have the smallest clue of what they're talking about.

Also, it sounds somewhat suspicious that such a movie made it to the voice-overs (on of the last parts in the post-production process, I'd think) without anyone hearing or reading anything about it. It came out of the blue, for me at least.

Oh well, wait and see, I guess...

Harnryd
2006-06-29, 05:16 AM
"The screenplay was reportedly adapted from Dragons of Autumn Twilight by George Strayton."

The sentence is a bit clumsy, but I'm pretty certain it says that the adaption was made by Strayton, not the original book.

Anyway, this site has now become the official movie page:
http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

Lex Luthor as Tanis, Xena as Goldmoon. Weird, but it could work.

And although the books aren't exactly immortal art, they provide a solid base for a script that the first D&D movie simply didn't have (I haven't seen the second).

I think it might well be decent entertainment this time, but we certainly shouldn't expect LotR.

Em
2006-06-29, 02:08 PM
This news makes me feel nothing but mindless terror.

Equlan
2006-06-29, 02:41 PM
The idea horrifies me.. and that saddens me. Once upon a time, when I was a young lad filled with hope, this announcement would have made me happy, filled with wonder and excitement.

But now, one movie wiser (I've stayed far away from the second), the very idea of a D&D based movie simply scares me, especially one based on a good story (the books may not be great litterature, but I still find it to be darned god fantasy) - how will they not butcher it?

I'll probably watch it, clinging to some last sliver of hope.. but I will expect to be sorely disappointed, or rather, just find it completely sucky, but not be surprised in the least by that.

Wittiest_Moniker
2006-06-29, 09:42 PM
Poor fantasy novel to translate to a movie, which most often garbles the original context? Well, expect either a major botching or, by some miracle, a movie that improves upon a lackluster book and cliched fantasy story. At least they got some of the obvious character references right.

Hopefully they won't have each named as horribly as each chapter. That would ruin the movie rather quickly. XD

Godhand
2006-06-29, 09:53 PM
Oh come now, the books weren't that bad. Although it was cliche it's not as bad as say... Record of Lodoss War

While every character is important, I'm really hoping Sturm of all people comes out right. Sturm was a great character (this is of course imo) and a foil to Raistlin. It's pity he has to die...

madhatter66
2006-06-29, 10:17 PM
To say the Dragonlance books are cliche is to say every fantasy novel post-Tolkein is cliche. The only cliche about it is the setting. You may as well say every fiction novel based in reality is cliche because it's based in reality. The novels brought about interesting characters, intense battles and some rather entertaining dialogue. Perhaps the plot itself isn't the most original, but to say it's cliche is pretty ridiculous. At the time, fantasy wasn't nearly as popular as it is now, so very little about it could be cliche. "Cliche" implies a popular idea overused to the point of being taken for granted.

Besides, cliches aren't always a bad thing. You don't see anyone complaining simply because someone plays a human fighter in D&D, even though god knows it's been done millions of times over.

I'm not going to pretend these books were masterpieces either, but they certainly weren't bad by any stretch.

Now, to the question of whether the film(s) will be any good. I'm heartened by the inclusion of "Lex Luthor" (by which I'm assuming you mean Kevin Spacey, not Gene Hackman). He's usually pretty picky about his roles (though he still makes mistakes, for sure) so that's a good sign if he's aboard. However this bit about "a major Indian animation company" or whatever does make me quite leary. A) Who are they? What have they done in the past? 2) What kind of budget are they running on? Low budget animation can seriously destroy an animated movie. (Anyone ever see "Wrath of the Ninja"? Ye gods!)

I'd like to know what this writer has done before, as well. I'm always nervous about newcomers, because you have nothing to go off with them and they could easily swing either way.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the movie(s) will be entertaining but not grand-scale or fantastic. If I'm wrong, I'll owe myself a banana split (to drown my sorrows).

Harnryd
2006-06-30, 04:18 AM
I'm heartened by the inclusion of "Lex Luthor" (by which I'm assuming you mean Kevin Spacey, not Gene Hackman).
Neither. It's the Smallville one, Michael Rosenbaum.

AmoDman
2006-06-30, 04:24 AM
I hate to say it to the fans, but it looks like ****. Seriosully, animated, written by the guy who wrote Xena, and based off of Dragonlance. My money says it will suck. If it was an animated series the production behind it might be sufficient...but a movie is too much, and will die a slow and horrible death.

Harnryd
2006-06-30, 05:02 AM
Well, of the 4 Xena episodes he wrote, 2 were excellent, 2 were mediocre, but they were all collaborations, so it's difficult to judge his skill from that.

But I wonder if he is the same George Strayton who wrote Frostburn and a lot of other RPG products (for Star Wars, Xena, MIB)?

colorlessmidnight
2006-06-30, 05:17 AM
I read that two years ago when I was eleven. The one I read was okay, Raistlin when he was a red mage.

Charity
2006-06-30, 05:28 AM
To say the Dragonlance books are cliche is to say every fantasy novel post-Tolkein is cliche. The only cliche about it is the setting. You may as well say every fiction novel based in reality is cliche because it's based in reality.
Emphasis mine.

Having never read these books I won't sit in judgment over them. Though I take issue with
a. The idea fantasy is more popular now than in the early eighties, not in my experience it isn't.
b. The premise that all fantasy is Tolkeinesque.
c. The rather bizarre statement I have emboldened.

cliché

n : a trite or obvious remark

trite

adj. Lacking power to evoke interest through overuse or repetition; hackneyed.

Harnryd
2006-06-30, 06:09 AM
Fantasy in the 80-s was popular. Iconic movies like the first Conan, Excalibur, Dragonslayer, Legend, etc appeared. But I do belive that fantasy is more mainstream now.
It was rare then to see a fantasy novel in the toplists of airport bookshops, for example. And fantasy movies were not even considered for Oscars.

As popular as fantasy was among the faithful then, it seems to be a wider phenomenon now.

Balthor
2006-07-02, 02:06 AM
It's official I just might puke even thinking that it is going to be turned into a f- movie. Not even good enough to be a B movie. Great we now have an animated D&D movie. nd does Marlon Wayens make a cameo appearance? barf

Ulicus
2006-07-02, 03:42 PM
Iconic movies like the first Conan...

And I am still waiting for the damn third! (Though if we could call it the second and pretend "Conan the Destroyer" didn't happen, that'd be peachy too)

Goddamit! Arnold, get your ass out of office and into barbarian gear! You're never going to be president, so why bother being a governor?

GARGHHHH!

CROM!

Matthew
2006-07-02, 08:40 PM
Rumours of a Dragonlance Movie are about as old as the books. So funny to see it actually happen.

I have to say that I think the Dragonlance Books are pretty rubbish, not to mention the copious 'Tanis-goes-to-the-toilet' spin offs. I loved them when I was about thirteen and I read them just after I read Lord of the Rings. I have read the Chronicles a couple of times since and after my initial disappointment and rage at them not being as good as I remembered them, settled down to seeing them as mediocre fantasy. I have read a lot worse, but I have also read a lot better and I'm not even going to mention any of that 'Fifth Age' crap.

Mr._Blinky
2006-07-03, 01:38 AM
Thanks. Now my minds eye won't stop running the image of Vin dressed as Xena. :'(

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Why did you have to say that!?!

Harnryd
2006-07-03, 03:13 AM
And I am still waiting for the damn third! (Though if we could call it the second and pretend "Conan the Destroyer" didn't happen, that'd be peachy too)

I would love that.
The latest I've heard is that all the preparations for Conan the King is down the drain. Instead, things are in motion to do a remake of the first movie, more faithful to the books.

I'm not happy with this. The few Conan books I've read didn't impress. The first movie did. And this trend of remakes is beginning to get bewildering. WHY do people bother with new Omens and Poseidons?

Lesol
2006-07-03, 05:40 AM
It will be a success and they will make a 2nd movie, but again stop at the 3rd.