PDA

View Full Version : Character Flaws in the Playground

Yarram
2009-08-08, 07:35 AM
I'm interested in what people percieve their own character flaws to be, because I wonder if people are aware of them, or if they percieve their flaws to be different from what their flaws really are.

You can also say what others think your character flaws are if you want, even if you disagree that it is a flaw, and what flaw creates the appearence of a character flaw. Because we all know that what we show on the outside is what we want everyone else to see, even if we get it wrong and put on an act that is different to what we think inside.

I don't really do I hope, because I try my hardest to never be hippocritical in anything I do, unless I've chosen to be hippocritical consciously for my own amusement.
My character flaw is probably arrogance. I have difficulty not being elitist and looking down on people that I think could be doing a better job. Not that I pick on people who do bad jobs at things, just people who don't do as well as they should when they're sposed to be at a certain standard.
I also tell people how great I am:smallbiggrin:, mainly because it amuses me to put myself above the level I'm actually at. "Yeah! I'm the most powerful (and attractive) being in the world! Good lord! Didn't you know?"

"I'm way more attractive than he is!" (This is irony, because I'm really really not...)

Player_Zero
2009-08-08, 07:40 AM
Personal delusionment is a matter of course.

If you want to know whether what they believe is actually what their personality reflects then you won't be able to puzzle it from their own words.

Assassin89
2009-08-08, 07:43 AM
I sometimes don't know when to stop talking.

I am also not easily motivated to do certain things.

SMEE
2009-08-08, 07:49 AM
I am too flirty.

Anuan
2009-08-08, 07:58 AM
Procrastinator.
Anger problems.
Misanthrope.
Moralistic to the point it's damn near impractical.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2009-08-08, 07:59 AM
I'm been called too humble. I've conducted surveys, and found I am the most humblest person, probably, ever. Everyone who wants to be known as being humble has to bow before my meekness. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Inserting random jokes into topics of serious natures always been a fault of mine...

EDIT II: attack of the clones: This would be a great "in the playground" contest idea:smallwink:

Yarram
2009-08-08, 08:00 AM
Personal delusionment is a matter of course.

If you want to know whether if whether they perceive is what is what their flaws really are then you will hardly know from their account now will you.

Well no, but I can compare this to my own observations of character and compare the two. Not that I can make an accurate character analysis of anyone else, but what I percieve as someone elses character and what they percieve may be different, and that's enough to assemble personal data on the topic. Arm-chair data, but enough for me to stop thinking about this.

thubby
2009-08-08, 08:19 AM
i know for a fact that i don't take well to being wrong though i will admit it, at least to myself, later. it's one of the reasons i like text over face to face when it comes to debates and the like.

i don't ask for help readily, i don't trust people, I imagine those 2 are related.

Mordokai
2009-08-08, 08:29 AM
Misanthrope.

I don't see that as a flaw, rather as something coming from repeated bad experience.

That said... misanthrope, lazy, having hard times trusting people on certain occasions while trusting them too easily on other, sometimes too hateful, cynical, sarcastic bastard.

There are probably a few more, but I can't remember any right now.

Morty
2009-08-08, 08:32 AM
Flaring temper, epic-level laziness and overt suspiciousness. Those are the ones that influence my life the most.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-08, 08:36 AM
I often give up or choose to fa

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-08, 08:40 AM
I have no character flaws. I am a perfect being. Perfect in every way.
I tend to be prone to arrogance and am a pathological liar. Also, procrastination and laziness. And I am also indecisive. And incredibly critical of anything and everything. Including you. Yes, you.

orchitect
2009-08-08, 08:40 AM
I'm indecisive and way too judgemental. If people think I'm hard on them, they don't know how hard I am on myself.

Winthur
2009-08-08, 09:02 AM
-addiction to Cola (2 litres a day sometimes...)-procrastination and laziness
-misanthropism (mainly because in my Primary I was the only sane person amongst a horde of jocks.)
-not very modest (see above :smalltongue: )
-self-loathing (because it's basically People Who Are Dumber Than Me - Me - People Who Treat Me Like Trash. My looks aren't the best and while being able to be pretty intellectual and observant at times, I'm also often really dim... so there's nothing really unique about me. Go figure.)
-pretty much lack of empathy (example: funeral of my school colleague's mother. I didn't know her and rather than be really emotionally heartbroken over his loss, I was more pissed off at the freeze during the ceremonials and general lack of comfort. Yeah, call me a demon if you wish.)
-lack of seriousness in social contacts and talkativeness which tends to piss people off (ask the GITP StarCraft group...)
-loneliness issues (having only a few friends is sometimes good, because if they can endure me and see my good qualities, then they stay my friends for good. On the other hand, when for some reason I can't spend time with them... Yeah.)
-oversarcastic at times.
-moodiness.

I often give up or choose to fa

Why I'm so tempted to add a "p" to the end of that statement? :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-08-08, 09:09 AM
- Laziness. It's way, way too hard for me to motivate myself to do things: Go to bed, get up in the morning, study, do housework, make phonecalls... Whatever it is, you can bet I won't get it done 'til the last minute. At best. :smallsigh: I'm also always extremely disorganised.

- Moodiness. I have good moods and I have bad moods and they tend to change without much notice. Oddly, though, I've recently found out that several of my friends (and an ex-friend) think I never experience extremes of emotion... Guess I'm good at hiding it :smallconfused:

- Sensitivity. Can relate to the above. I take things to heart, and I cry ridiculously easily.

- Sort-of fatalism. I generally assume I'm wrong. Maybe be a throwback to the end of my last relationship, and I think in that I'm improving on it (having a Boy who is willing to admit when he's wrong helps).

No doubt there's more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

TheBibliophile
2009-08-08, 09:13 AM
Procrastination, being a third parent to my little brother, pedantism, sarcasm, not good with people. :smalleek:

Jalor
2009-08-08, 09:25 AM
Misanthropic, insensitive, callous, spiteful, rude, elitist, irreverent, pessimistic, cynical. Also, I have no empathy, I procrastinate, I'm too quick to burn bridges, and I'm way too vocal about my beliefs.

...makes me wonder why my friends stick around.

Sneak
2009-08-08, 09:28 AM
I'm lazy, vain, a procrastinator, arrogant, insecure, shy, and an ass.

UnChosenOne
2009-08-08, 09:57 AM
I'm lazy, arrogant, somewhat cruel, jerkass, hypocrite, anti-sosiacal, quick to anger, oversarcastic and I realy know how to bestroy your day.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-08, 10:20 AM
Inferiority complex.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-08, 10:32 AM
Pretty much this.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-08, 10:33 AM
Little or no common sense, lack of confidence, I'm way too sensitive in RL, especially when people start telling people that I've done bad things that I would never ever do, and then there is my pride.

I think I should explain my pride:
I am a very good student, in fact I rarely even come close to academic failure. This has left me pretty vulnerable to failure, as I'm not use to it, therefore, when I fail (at something I consider important), I cry. A lot. Then I cry more because people tell me to stop crying and I feel like I've failed them, dissapointed them.

Tiger Duck
2009-08-08, 11:00 AM
Some miner vanity, fairly shy.
And a complete lack of any sort of ambition.

bosssmiley
2009-08-08, 11:03 AM

That's just part of what makes you so damn sexay. :smallwink:

<--
No patience with ignorance.
Most of the rest of my...less charming character traits stem from that.
Lazy beyond belief.
If it involves hard work, then someone needs to find a better way of doing it.

Other than that I'm pretty much 'all that'. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-08-08, 11:03 AM
I think I should explain my pride:
I am a very good student, in fact I rarely even come close to academic failure. This has left me pretty vulnerable to failure, as I'm not use to it, therefore, when I fail (at something I consider important), I cry. A lot. Then I cry more because people tell me to stop crying and I feel like I've failed them, dissapointed them.

I'm similar, but it's criticism that gets me the most, though failure is another thing that worries me. It's not even so much the act of failing as someone knowing I've failed.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-08-08, 11:16 AM
I over-analyze.
I tend to be prideful, almost to the point of annoying arrogance.
I also tend to get too attached to female friends; to the point of driving them away :smallfrown:

darkblust
2009-08-08, 11:24 AM
I'm way too shy,lazy,a procrastinator,insecure,can't trust people too well,suspicious,think i'm usually wrong even though i'm usually right,and annoying.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-08, 11:25 AM
Arrogant, vain, flaring temper, suspicious, over-analyzing, too flirtatious, AND I seem to fall in love twice a day.
Right.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-08, 11:27 AM
And I platonically(aside from the fact that you are a very attractive lady) wub you all the same, Rabbit.

rubakhin
2009-08-08, 11:27 AM
I'm immature, socially maladjusted, sexually irresponsible, suicidal, anorexic, attention-seeking, lying, manipulative, violent, anger-prone, over-emotional, incompetent, incapable of doing just about anything you need to do to be an independent adult, completely unemployable, whiny, lazy, self-pitying, self-obsessed, pessimistic, morose, and generally screwed up beyond all recognition in every single conceivable way.

At least I'm cute. :smallfrown:

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-08, 11:28 AM
I'm lazy, ugly, and I have no self confidence!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-08, 11:33 AM

LIES!
YOU SPEAK SUCH LIES!

:: hugs::

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-08, 11:42 AM

You must be someone other than the Muave Shirt I've seen pictures of, because she is the type of girl you beam when standing next to and introducing to your friends.
You are, indeed, extremely attractive, ma'am.

As for my character flaws:
Stupid
Arrogant
Self-centered
Stupid
Selfish
Lazy
Manipulative
Self-serving
Stubborn
Compulsive

I have a whole list of these on my Livejournal (lunaticdeath.livejournal.com) somewhere. Probably on the first page, still.

Kaelaroth
2009-08-08, 11:46 AM
I've tried to write this post several times now, truthfully, and I end up hating myself. :smalltongue: So. Maybe I'll manage it later.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-08, 11:58 AM
You are, indeed, extremely attractive, ma'am.

So how come no one who is not on the internet thinks I'm attractive?
Also I mostly threw that in as an example of my lack of self confidence.

Trog
2009-08-08, 12:05 PM
THE BIGGIE: Low self esteem / No self confidence
LESSER CONCERNS: temper, a dislike of cleaning

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-08-08, 12:19 PM
I'm too hard on myself.
That being said, I probably have other flaws, but I don't know what they are.:smalleek:

Reinholdt
2009-08-08, 12:29 PM
^ That.
^^ That.
^^^ That.
^^^^ That.
^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^^^ That.
etc. etc. etc.

V That.
VV That.
VVV That.
VVVV That.
VVVVV That.
VVVVVV That.
etc. etc. etc.

I suck. :smallfrown:

golentan
2009-08-08, 12:41 PM
Oh, my. A full list would take more than everything written so far. Pride and Wrath are my 2 greatest sins (a combination I call the Diabolic Bifecta). I don't relate to other people, alienate those closest to me because after going against their wishes I tell them their wishes are "stupid." (Which they usually are, but still). I am insulting, cruel, and take more joy in killing things than should be allowed in a sane society. I make jokes I know only I will understand, am lazy unless I see a reason to work, and all my reasons are different so the common incentives leave me just feeling cold. Or worse, insulted, at which point nothing will convince me to change my effort.

Phaedra
2009-08-08, 12:44 PM
I think my main flaw is pride. I refuse to ask for help for anything at all. Logically I know this is silly, no one can do everything on their own, but dammit, I'll try anyway.

Apart from that, it's probably just laziness and procrastination that cause problems for me. I just like my bed too much to actually do my work.

Y'know a few years ago, that list'd have been much longer. I seem to have gotten more comfortable with myself over time.

SDF
2009-08-08, 01:48 PM
I have high Mach tendencies. I am really good at manipulating people into doing what I want. I don't trick them, I'm just really convincing. I don't do it often, and it isn't intentionally malicious...

I'm pretty straight forward about things. "Do I look ugly?" yes, "What do you think of this song?" sounds like the Jonas Brothers, ect. I don't know if it's a flaw, but it can make some people feel pretty bad.

Cyrano
2009-08-08, 02:08 PM
Essentially everything I have ever written here is a lie, whether a factual lie or a phrase used to mislead people as to my actual character. This tendency carries over to real life.

Coidzor
2009-08-08, 02:36 PM
Hmm. Low social skill and graces.

Not being ashamed or afraid of sexuality.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-08, 02:47 PM
I don't stay on task.
I'm easily distracted.
It takes me forever to finish projects I've started.
I forget to do things unless I've got a to-do list in front of me.
I'm much happier reading science papers or randomly creating characters than I am doing actual work.
I've no idea what I want to do for an actual career except vague ideals like 'help people, work with technology...". Fine for an 18 year old, not fine for a 32 year old.
I've got a huge ego that I continually try to keep in check but do a pretty bad job of it.
I've got too much pride for a guy who should stick to being humble.
I'm pretty convinced that I'm an Internet junkie.
I fill out any personality inventory/survey/analysis/whatever that comes my way. I tell myself it's because I'm narcissistic, but I think the real reason is that I've no idea who I really am.

Well. That all just kind of tumbled out. :smalleek:

Cyrano
2009-08-08, 02:52 PM

That's a fairly back-handed insult.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-08, 02:55 PM

Ugliness is not a character flaw, if you're speaking purely about physical appearance, which is of course subjective anyway. I mean, some people think they are ugly because they don't have enough copper rings elongating their necks, right?

Now, I can think of plenty of so-called "beautiful" people whose characters are downright ugly. Just watch some reality TV some time.

If you're looking for the opposite example, I know of some war veterans who have basically had their face blown/melted off, but I would consider them beautiful. (Not trying to give you a guilt trip or anything; I always say everyone's entitled to complain once in a while, regardless of whether somebody else has it worse off.)

So far as I can tell, Mauve Shirt, you have beautiful character.

Emperor Ing
2009-08-08, 02:57 PM
The only flaws I can think of for me are..

-easily angered
-prone to mood swings
-can't answer most 'why' questions
-distractable
-short-term memory issues
-conflicted (Perfectionism versus Lazyness)
-nonchalant

Calamity
2009-08-08, 02:59 PM
Oh, just about every character flaw that exists I have.

Except maybe arrogance. But that's about it. Yeah.

Darius Midnite
2009-08-08, 03:27 PM
Might as well add my two cents.

I'm a cynic, doubting other people's motives.
I'm egotistic, thinking about others only when I have to.
I'm corruptive, at times encouraging people to do the worst.
I'm a thief, this one speaks for itself.
I'm a liar, manipulating my way out of situations.

But, I also have many good sides to me.

HellfireLover
2009-08-08, 03:52 PM
- Obsessive.
- Hypercritical of self and other's motives.
- Tactless.
- Angry.
- Easily distracted.
- Perfectionist.
- Overarching vanity.
- Seeks validation from others.
- Verbose.
- Self-satisfied.
- Paranoid.
- Possibly delusional, particularly over own intelligence, attractiveness and age.
- Doesn't respect boundaries.
- Will rant at length, refuses to shut up, and is very loud.
- Morally neutral.

:smallwink: I consider all the above a vast improvement on myself six years ago.

SDF
2009-08-08, 04:03 PM
Ugliness is not a character flaw, if you're speaking purely about physical appearance, which is of course subjective anyway. I mean, some people think they are ugly because they don't have enough copper rings elongating their necks, right?

Now, I can think of plenty of so-called "beautiful" people whose characters are downright ugly. Just watch some reality TV some time.

It isn't subjective from a biological standpoint. There are ingrained physical traits that signify what you'd want in a good mate. This, combined with standards of a western society give a good baseline for what is mentally and culturally attractive. Using the neck ring example from another culture isn't relatively parallel for us and is a culturally removed, absurdest observation. The way a person looks also has a weighted bearing on how you are treated by others as well. So while looks aren't intrinsically part of your character they certainly can shape your personality.

I should also mention I'm a bit vain. At least I look good doing it. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-08-08, 04:09 PM
Oh how morose. Perhaps you people should list your greater characteristics as opposed to listing all the negative qualities that you can think of, regardless of whether or not they actually apply to you.

SDF
2009-08-08, 04:14 PM
Maybe you should come up with a different topic?

Elder Tsofu
2009-08-08, 04:14 PM
Flaws I know of myself?

Well, probably overanalyzing followed by quite low social-skills (although I'm getting better here - woho!).
I have an arrogant streak, which tends to show from time to time.

Oh, and I'm bad with names. (oh did I just say "bad"? I meant downright lousy :smallfrown:)
But I'm working on them, and I see some progress at least.

TFT
2009-08-08, 04:26 PM
A lot of the flaws I have are the ones I've seen here:

Lazy and a procrastinator
Sometimes(Rarely) prone to overreacting
On these boards, not keeping up with commitments.
Bad skills socially
Indesicive
When in conversation - overexplaining or explaining something I didn't need to.
Bad social skills
Being to hard on myself.
A cynic
Stubborn(at times)

Now, not all of these are all the time - Probably each only affects me a couple of times a week. They are still there though.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-08, 04:34 PM
Sometimes I just get so excited that Neil Degrasse Tyson turns into roast leg of lamb. Other times I get so sad that Jimmy Carter turns into a pickup truck.

Also, I'm afraid of not-the-moon.

Icewalker
2009-08-08, 04:36 PM
Elitist is definitely top of the list here. That's 'flaw in the eyes of others', most notably one seen by others because I have yet to under stand why being a better person can be considered a flaw. I do my best not to brag or any such thing, and believe I accomplish that quite well. My recently acquired circle of friends has definitely helped keep me respectful of others and their abilities, because as a group most of them are so much more impressive than me, mostly in other areas though. I mean, we have two people who border on piano prodigy, two mad scientists, a extremely knowledgeable history buff who can play anything (including, for example, a chinese broadsword) as an instrument, the most interesting mindset I've ever met, a personification of color, (the last two of which are both amazing artists/writers), ...*rambles on incoherently*

Malfunctioned
2009-08-08, 04:47 PM
Mine may sound a little weird, but I'm way too nice. I can never hold a grudge against anyone, I can never not help anyone (Often at my own detriment) and I even find it incredibly hard to even give someone constructive criticism. There also a bit of an anger issue that contrasts incredibly with my normal personality and I used to not be able to focus on anything that didn't entertain me for more than a couple of minutes but I've mostly conquered that one.

Alteran
2009-08-08, 05:36 PM
My sin is most certainly Sloth. I often find it exceedingly hard to motivate myself. I do well in school, as that's one thing I tend to be easily motivated for. I don't really see school work as a choice, so I suppose that's part of the reason that I always do it. Still, even with that in mind, I'm often up late, finishing something at the last possible moment.

I'm a little angry at myself this summer, since it's been getting worse. There are a lot of things I want to get done, but I'm simply not doing them. With so much free time and so few responsibilities, I've become accustomed to doing nothing. I've been trying to overcome this all summer, and so far I haven't done a great job about it. I feel like I need some sort of output, be it writing or homebrew or whatever, but I can't bring myself to sit down and get a damn thing done. A lack of inspiration hardly helps here.

I'll be back again later, once I've had time to consider and flesh out exactly what else is wrong with me. :smallwink:

Pyrian
2009-08-08, 06:59 PM
...no one can do everything on their own, but dammit, I'll try anyway.

Apart from that, it's probably just laziness and procrastination that cause problems for me. I just like my bed too much to actually do my work.Ah, the combination of refusing to let anybody do anything for you with the refusal to do any of it yourself, either. :smallcool:

Yarram
2009-08-08, 09:24 PM
I have high Mach tendencies. I am really good at manipulating people into doing what I want. I don't trick them, I'm just really convincing. I don't do it often, and it isn't intentionally malicious...

I'm pretty straight forward about things. "Do I look ugly?" yes, "What do you think of this song?" sounds like the Jonas Brothers, ect. I don't know if it's a flaw, but it can make some people feel pretty bad.

Heh. When it comes to manipulating people, I've found I can consciously get people to do whatever I want (unless it's against their nature of course), and because of that, I choose not to, so I don't get what I want. I'm stuck in a catch 22 situation because I always feel so conscious about what's happenning around me, and if I do manipulate people, which is frighteningly easy, I feel bad afterwards.

Other people said, and I didn't think about this when I first posted, that their flaw is a lack of empathy. I've found I have the same problem alot. I find it difficult to be upset about death in particular, even if it's the death of something or someone close to me, and I think this is because I'm religiously secure so I don't cry for the dead person, and I don't cry because I feel sorry for my loss (Instead I feel indifferent, because that that person has moved on to where-ever, so it's not like they're being tortured or anything), which is what I see most mourning as. Because of this, it gets awkward when I have a friend who's lost someone close to them and they're upset about it, but I can't make myself feel upset, so I just fake it.

Jalor
2009-08-08, 09:26 PM

That's not a flaw, that's a quirk.

Oh, which reminds me of another, actual flaw of mine. I never turn down any female for any sexual activity, ever. I also lie that this is not the case, for the sole purpose of not looking desperate. This has extended to emotional manipulation in the past, though I try not to do so anymore.

Jamin
2009-08-08, 10:54 PM
self righteous

ghost_warlock
2009-08-09, 12:08 AM
Hey, character flaws! In order to be more 'human,' I've been attempting to acquire a number of these. :smallsmile: Let's see how I'm doing so far:

Procrastination
Overly Reserved
Misanthropic
Avolition
Vanity
Sexist
Moodiness
Grudge-keeper
Irreverent
Overly analytical
Patronizing
Acerbic
Insulting
Nihilistic
Self-indulgent
Self-serving seductiveness
Extremely results-oriented
Judgemental
Prejudiced
Polarized
Intolerant
Edit: Also somewhat stubborn and uncompromising
Unsympathetic; refusal to give in to pleading
Happy to point out the flaws in others

Ash08
2009-08-09, 12:11 AM
I'm very, very arrogant and very,very lazy(both branch from going to a school where I've been able to spend 15 minutes or less a night on whatever homework we have and be in the top ten of the grade for the last 9 years). However I'm starting to do my best to break my lazyself. But I'm afriad my arrogant self likes being arrogant because it beleives it's arrogance is true(if that makes any sense... good, if not... well... that's likely).

Moofin Bard
2009-08-09, 12:16 AM
I am:

Lazy
Easily Frustrated
People Pleaser
Chameleon (one of those people who changes their personality depending on who they're talking to)
Compulsive Liar
Always Wants to be Right
Hypocritical

I'm sure I can think of more.

ghost_warlock
2009-08-09, 12:18 AM
I am:

Lazy
Easily Frustrated
People Pleaser
Chameleon (one of those people who changes their personality depending on who they're talking to)
Compulsive Liar
Always Wants to be Right
Hypocritical

I'm sure I can think of more.

Too cute for your own good.

Moofin Bard
2009-08-09, 12:21 AM
Too cute for your own good.

Thank you?

Hell Puppi
2009-08-09, 12:24 AM
-Sloth
-Apathy
-Quick to lash out (I do biting remarks fairly easily but I don't actually stay mad. I get temper flare-ups)
-Can't say 'no'
-Introverted
-Self-destructive

...I'm working on it, dang it. :smallannoyed:

littlequietguy
2009-08-09, 01:13 AM
Incredibly bad sense of what constitutes a suitable comment
Paranoia
Awkward innuendo plaguing whatever I say (I believe this to be a gypsy curse)

Phaedra
2009-08-09, 04:05 AM
Ah, the combination of refusing to let anybody do anything for you with the refusal to do any of it yourself, either. :smallcool:

Yup. Although I do eventually manage to get stuff done, just veeeeeeery slowly. And usually near a deadline, so the pride and adrenaline cancel out the laziness. It's a delicate balance :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-08-09, 04:54 AM
That's a fairly back-handed insult.

What can I say? Hmmm, well, I don't much like the culture around here. Speaking frankly and candidly is apparently quite the sin. Especially since most of the people who I've gotten crap from about it have asked me for advice on matters pertaining to romance and the summoning of the beast with two backs.

Hmm. I guess if you wanted to you could rephrase it as overly embracing of the sexual component of life.

Well, let's take a second crack at it.

Physically unideal
blunt/tactless/guileless
Sexual
Easily irritated
Procrastinating
not blessed with social graces
Poorly received by those of my own generation compared with my elders
depressed
still in love with my ex girlfriend
trying to move on rather than winning her back with some sort of 80s scheme
mild to moderate superiority complex/nietzchean bleedthrough
disgusted by weakness
hatred/jealousy of strength
descended from probable slave-owners
White, Male
citizen of the united states of america
a loner
directionless/unmotivated/looking for direction and failing to find it
mild to moderate fear of failure
paranoia
overactive imagination
has yet to finally break the habit of chewing on his finger nails
nearsighted and distrustful of contact lenses
too easily/quickly invested in caring for others
a cruel and vindictive streak that is capricious as to when it will pop up and what will set it off
the potential for petty human drama and such things
Creepy
Overly contemplative/over-thinking
uncharismatic

Faulty
2009-08-09, 07:35 AM
I'm lazy a lot of the time and have trouble doing things I don't like. I get tired way too easily, so I'm exhausted a lot, which results in low energy, which makes being productive harder. I'm also angry often.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-09, 08:24 AM
I don't stay on task.
I'm easily distracted.
It takes me forever to finish projects I've started.
I forget to do things unless I've got a to-do list in front of me.
I'm much happier reading science papers or randomly creating characters than I am doing actual work.
I've no idea what I want to do for an actual career except vague ideals like 'help people, work with technology...". Fine for an 18 year old, not fine for a 32 year old.
I've got a huge ego that I continually try to keep in check but do a pretty bad job of it.
I've got too much pride for a guy who should stick to being humble.
I'm pretty convinced that I'm an Internet junkie.
I fill out any personality inventory/survey/analysis/whatever that comes my way. I tell myself it's because I'm narcissistic, but I think the real reason is that I've no idea who I really am.

But wait, there's more!

Wisdom is my dump stat. (And yet until TOB came out, I always imagined myself as some sort of ranger in DND.)
I'm pretty convinced that wisdom being my dump stat is the source of many of my problems, but have no idea how to train it up to acceptable levels.
I'm horribly intolerant of ignorant people.
I'm horribly intolerant of people of less than above-average intelligence in real life. Online, I'm only intolerant of people of less than average intelligence. It's like the Webbanets set the bar lower in my brain.
I'm horribly intolerant of intolerant people. Ah, irony - my life's favorite literary device.
I'm afraid of getting angry - I don't like myself in that state, I don't like the things I say, the things I do, or the decisions I make. So I do quite a lot to keep my anger from coming out to play when others are near. Unfortunately, a lot of people see this as me being cold or dispassionate. No! I just don't want to hurt people.
When I make mistakes, I often punish myself instead of just fixing the behavior that caused the mistake.
I want to be a better person, but I've been too lazy to figure out how.
I really resent myself for this, and that's been showing lately.

Faulty
2009-08-09, 08:40 AM
I'm also very easily distracted.

I also tend to see red when people greatly disagree with me on certain things.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-08-09, 09:00 AM
Crippling shyness and never knowing when to shut up. This creates an interesting vicious circle, as when I finally open my mouth I don't close it until it's too late, which makes me even more hesitant et cetera.
Self confidence in the negatives.
Lonely as all hell.
Quick to anger, or at least frustration.
Overly critical, especially of myself.
Self-deprecation out the wahoonie.
The view that it's morally wrong to talk to someone one doesn't already know.
Higher than normal threshold of "knowing".
Habitual liar.
Attention-seeking introvert. Like, I'll do something quietly and without any sort of fanfare and then sulk when people don't notice it.
Alcoholism.

e: also lazy. And easily distracted.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-09, 10:17 AM
-misanthropism (mainly because in my Primary I was the only sane person amongst a horde of jocks.)

Hey isn't Misanthropy where you become a werewolf? I guess one of mine should be a poor understanding of the english language ...

Faceist
2009-08-09, 11:12 AM
I'm lazy as hell. One of the main motivations behind my chosen career (freelance writer) is that I get to be my own boss and work at my own pace. It also lets me drink when and where I want, which leads neatly into my second flaw: a preponderance for bourbon, which is adversely affecting both my liver and my wallet. I find it very hard to find other peoples problems very interesting or even real, which often results in hurt feelings when I'm flippant about my friends issues. I can't cry, either. (Not that I think that's a big deal, personally: I don't need my feelings to be validated by a quasi-involuntary reaction involving salt water. I'm including it mainly because it's my quirk that most worries my friends.) I'm immature and often too happy-go-lucky for my own good.

But hey! I could be worse. :smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2009-08-09, 11:23 AM
Okay, where to begin?
My major flaw, in my view, is pride. I have such a tendency to look down on others, and to believe that I have it all. I'm rather blind to my own faults.
I'm also quite rigid in my way of thinking, and uncomfortable with change (darn Lawfulness).
That's all I have so far. I'm pretty sure I'll come back with a thousand more.

Mordokai
2009-08-09, 11:30 AM
Rather than quote every single flaw from previous posts that also applies to me, I'll rather just quote Reinholdt.

^ That.
^^ That.
^^^ That.
^^^^ That.
^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^^ That.
^^^^^^^^^ That.
etc. etc. etc.

V That.
VV That.
VVV That.
VVVV That.
VVVVV That.
VVVVVV That.
etc. etc. etc.

I suck. :smallfrown:

Yep! :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-08-09, 12:00 PM
Crippling shyness and never knowing when to shut up. This creates an interesting vicious circle, as when I finally open my mouth I don't close it until it's too late, which makes me even more hesitant et cetera.
Quick to anger, or at least frustration.
Overly critical, especially of myself.
Self-deprecation out the wahoonie.
The view that it's morally wrong to talk to someone one doesn't already know.
Higher than normal threshold of "knowing".
Attention-seeking introvert. Like, I'll do something quietly and without any sort of fanfare and then sulk when people don't notice it.
e: also lazy. And easily distracted.

All of these. Extra helping of laziness. And a side of bad memory.

Thelas
2009-08-09, 12:37 PM
- Laziness
- Distractability
- Dumping WIS and CHA... and STR and DEX and CON... and possibly INT as well. :smalltongue:
- Talking too much about my interests and not enough about other peoples'.
- Being a bit bossy
- Treating everyone like complete idiots until proven otherwise.

Moofin Bard
2009-08-09, 12:41 PM
I can't help thinking that everyone on the forums has laziness as their character flaw...or most of us anyway.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-09, 12:44 PM
Moofin, I think that's because if we actually did what we should be doing we wouldn't be spending so much time on the forums.
Or at least, that's how I'm lazy. Too much internet, too little work.

ghost_warlock
2009-08-09, 12:44 PM
I can't help thinking that everyone on the forums has laziness as their character flaw...or most of us anyway.

See, though, if you call it avolition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avolition), you can say it's a part of a mental disorder and avoid being held responsible! :smallwink:

Hell Puppi
2009-08-09, 12:46 PM
What can I say? Hmmm, well, I don't much like the culture around here. Speaking frankly and candidly is apparently quite the sin. Especially since most of the people who I've gotten crap from about it have asked me for advice on matters pertaining to romance and the summoning of the beast with two backs.

Hmm. I guess if you wanted to you could rephrase it as overly embracing of the sexual component of life.

It's okay, I still love yah :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-08-09, 12:52 PM
Hey isn't Misanthropy where you become a werewolf? I guess one of mine should be a poor understanding of the english language ...

That's lycanthropy. :smalltongue:

Ummm....

Negativity. I realize I probably come across as pretty optimistic, but inside my head I'm not. I'm negative about myself about 95% of the time and about others 75%. This translates to brooding and passive-aggressiveness in my interactions with people I'm close to (not so much anyone else) and eating problems and general lack of faith in myself. I'm working on it. :smalltongue:

I'm uncommunicative, especially when emotion is involved. This means that the longer an argument goes on the less articulate I become and then I start throwing things out of frustration at being totally unable to express myself. Therefore, people tend to think I'm irrational.

I don't take well to criticism. That's why I do all discussion of my writing via email, because it gives me time to absorb and accept what's wrong.

I'm a perfectionist. This would make me a horrible manager because I can't delegate. At all.

Also, I use :smalltongue: too much.

Moofin Bard
2009-08-09, 12:53 PM
Mauve i agree. Damn forums making me not do my homework.

So I guess that means I have schizophrenia? Sweet.

Pyrian
2009-08-09, 01:38 PM
I can't help thinking that everyone on the forums has laziness as their character flaw...or most of us anyway.It's practically an entrance requirement. :smallcool:

Coidzor
2009-08-09, 02:08 PM
It's practically an entrance requirement. :smallcool:

Practically goes without saying. :smallamused:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-09, 02:53 PM
I'm lazy a lot of the time and have trouble doing things I don't like. I get tired way too easily, so I'm exhausted a lot, which results in low energy, which makes being productive harder. I'm also angry often.

Maybe you should talk to a doctor. You could be anemic or something!

Jinura
2009-08-09, 03:04 PM
I'm arrogant.( In social circles I feel home )
I'm overweight ( slightly.. )
I'm lazy with some things.
I'm not that attractive ( Or well.. Dunno what people think here.)
I'm shy. ( Towards strangers, or people I don't know that well.)
I drink more cola than what is healthy :smalltongue:

commander43
2009-08-10, 12:17 AM
I am a terrible teacher, in that I can't tolerate people who learn things more slowly that I would like.

I'm arrogant.

I'm timid.

I can't talk to people I don't know.

I find it extremely difficult to let anyone know how I really feel.

I'm opinionated and holier-than-thou.

I'm extremely lazy and have no motivation to better myself.

I don't believe in my own artistic merit or intellect, despite the fact that it is obvious that I at least sort of know what I'm doing.

I can't stand most people.

Moofin Bard
2009-08-10, 12:27 AM
Oh wait! I forgot one.

I'm extremely empathetic towards people. Someone walks in the room with a broken leg and my leg hurts. Someone tell me about a particularly bad breakup? My heart hurts for them. It gets annoying.

Tharivol123
2009-08-10, 01:04 AM
My biggest character flaw is a strange one. I'm overly self-critical to the point that it comes off as arrogant. Here's what I mean. I would write a paper or article, think it was garbage. I would turn it in for class/submit it for publication, and get an A or get it published. Someone would tell me they read it and liked it, and I would tell them I thought it was garbage. Then I get called arrogant. Same thing happened at work all the time.

Boo
2009-08-10, 01:12 AM
I've never understood myself. Or I did, once, three years ago. Since then, I've been... I don't know. Now, my biggest flaw is wanting to dance with traffic. Isn't that wonderful sounding?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-10, 01:15 AM
I've never understood myself. Or I did, once, three years ago. Since then, I've been... I don't know. Now, my biggest flaw is wanting to dance with traffic. Isn't that wonderful sounding?

Boo.
I will smack you.
And you won't enjoy it.

Boo
2009-08-10, 01:16 AM
Probably not. Mostly because I'll know you spent a lot of money just to smack me.

Pyrian
2009-08-10, 01:26 AM
Someone would tell me they read it and liked it, and I would tell them I thought it was garbage.One thing I was taught at a young age while learning interpersonal communication skills was that there are only two acceptable responses to a compliment: a return compliment, and a "thank you". Any other response can get you into trouble. They particularly warned against various forms of denying the compliment.

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 01:31 AM
Wait, interpersonal communication skills used to be taught? :smallconfused:

No wonder I felt like I was missing out on something.:smallannoyed:

Cyrano
2009-08-10, 01:33 AM
Wait, interpersonal communication skills used to be taught? :smallconfused:

No wonder I felt like I was missing out on something.:smallannoyed:

Wait, interpersonal communication is supposed to be a skill? I was treating it as a cage match.

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-10, 01:36 AM
Hmm.

I've a paranoid streak, I worry too much about everything, occasional bouts of low self-esteem, Incredibly Analytical, and completely oblivious to subtlety. Think that's everything.

Tharivol123
2009-08-10, 01:36 AM
One thing I was taught at a young age while learning interpersonal communication skills was that there are only two acceptable responses to a compliment: a return compliment, and a "thank you". Any other response can get you into trouble. They particularly warned against various forms of denying the compliment.

My thing is, I'm honest. If I get a compliment and agree with it, I say "thank you." If I don't, I play it as if it was nothing special. Unless I give something my best, I don't like the result, no matter what the result is. Someone complimenting me on the results of an attempt where I didn't give it my all just kinda reminds me of how I didn't really try.
I'm proud of what I get accomplished, but I always keep thinking "I can do better" and can't keep myself from saying that.

Yrcrazypa
2009-08-10, 02:23 AM
That's lycanthropy. :smalltongue:

Ummm....

Negativity. I realize I probably come across as pretty optimistic, but inside my head I'm not. I'm negative about myself about 95% of the time and about others 75%. This translates to brooding and passive-aggressiveness in my interactions with people I'm close to (not so much anyone else) and eating problems and general lack of faith in myself. I'm working on it. :smalltongue:

I'm uncommunicative, especially when emotion is involved. This means that the longer an argument goes on the less articulate I become and then I start throwing things out of frustration at being totally unable to express myself. Therefore, people tend to think I'm irrational.

I don't take well to criticism. That's why I do all discussion of my writing via email, because it gives me time to absorb and accept what's wrong.

I'm a perfectionist. This would make me a horrible manager because I can't delegate. At all.

Also, I use :smalltongue: too much.

I'm all of those. Eating junk food all the time counts as an eating problem right?

Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, Con, and Wis are my dump stats. And I'm only slightly above average in Int.

I'm ridiculously lazy. Terrible at communicating, extremely shy, and if I had time to think about it, there's probably a few dozen more that I can't think of right now due to a headache.

Dragonrider
2009-08-10, 10:30 AM
I'm all of those. Eating junk food all the time counts as an eating problem right?

Sure. Mine is kind of the opposite of that, though. :smalltongue:

(again with the :smalltongue:.... :smallsigh::smallamused:)

Pyrian
2009-08-10, 10:32 AM
Wait, interpersonal communication skills used to be taught? :smallconfused:Well, not in normal school. Sadly. I went quite a bit out of my way for some of that stuff.

My thing is, I'm honest. ... Someone complimenting me on the results of an attempt where I didn't give it my all just kinda reminds me of how I didn't really try.
I'm proud of what I get accomplished, but I always keep thinking "I can do better" and can't keep myself from saying that.Yes, you can. You just didn't really try. :smallamused: Seriously, though, honesty is great but doesn't get you out of being tactless. Once somebody has complimented your work they've invested a bit of themself in it, and attacking the work they complimented is a backhanded insult to the complimentor (as it denigrates either their perception or, at the very least, their standard). Consider carefully before delivering an insult (even a backhanded one) even when you're being honest and especially when they just went out of their way to be nice to you.

In the back of their mind, people are experiencing that exchange as: "You're good!" "No, you just suck!"

The Orange Zergling
2009-08-10, 01:38 PM
- I'm too combative
- I make grudges too easily and keep them for too long
- I'm incredibly stubborn and have a very hard time admitting that I'm wrong even when I know I am
- I jump to conclusions too easily
- I'm too judgmental
- My mind is too analytical (I will, when I see something, compile a list of absolutely everything wrong with what I see, be it the tiniest asymmetry or the smallest and least consequential aesthetic flaws. More often than not I can just ignore it but it still happens.)
- I can't give myself praise or admit my good points without feeling like an egotistical jerk (hence the reason why I am only posting in this thread and not its more optimistic counterpart)
- I have a hard time making up my mind
- I'm too concerned with how others view me
- I'm seriously-hardcore-afraid of initiating phone calls

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-10, 03:05 PM

Damn, you too, Zergling? I forgot about that one. I hate making phone calls, especially to people I don't know. >.>

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 03:08 PM
^: I find it's much worse to contemplate a phone call than to actually make it.

Then again, I'm supposedly in possession of good phone skills due to being able to extend greetings and polite farewells. :smallconfused:

Sure. Mine is kind of the opposite of that, though. :smalltongue:

(again with the :smalltongue:.... :smallsigh::smallamused:)

So, you mean you don't know how to enjoy food for the pleasure it can be? Well, that's a mixed blessing. Means it'll be easy for you to just go on a diet then to control your bodyfat.

Also, I'd peg being overly loose with that tongue of yours as another flaw. Never know who is going to try to catch it if you keep setting it out as bait...:smallamused:

The Orange Zergling
2009-08-10, 03:11 PM
Damn, you too, Zergling? I forgot about that one. I hate making phone calls, especially to people I don't know. >.>

It's gotten a little bit better in recent months but yeah, it's still pretty bad.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-10, 03:16 PM

I used to hate this too, but when I was in high school my dad kept making me do it until I got over it.

I am in a profession where I tell people every day that they need to exercise, but I don't exercise myself.

Dragonrider
2009-08-10, 03:45 PM
So, you mean you don't know how to enjoy food for the pleasure it can be? Well, that's a mixed blessing. Means it'll be easy for you to just go on a diet then to control your bodyfat.

Well...more like...it's too easy to eat very little (and of that, only fruit, yogurt, and grape nuts - I must force variety upon myself). It's a matter of reading the signs that tell me I need to eat even if I'm not "hungry". Yes...at 15 I had a fairly serious eating disorder only not labeled anorexia because I was never underweight.
At this point dieting would have no effect on my weight one way or another because I have no metabolism to speak of, which on one hand is very freeing because dieting is not an option (otherwise I might be tempted) but on the other hand frustrating because I am not pleased by the mirror.

I'm doing pretty well these days, though.

Tharivol123
2009-08-10, 06:34 PM
- I can't give myself praise or admit my good points without feeling like an egotistical jerk (hence the reason why I am only posting in this thread and not its more optimistic counterpart)

#1 is exactly the same problem I have.
#2 I had until recently. Never a fan of it, but after working on the [name of a candidate withheld for obvious reasons] campaign I got over it mostly. Endless hours of making phone calls tends to numb your discomfort doing it. Then I interviewed for a job at a call center, and all those old feelings returned, even though it was a job on the receiving end of phone calls all day.

@Pyrian: For the most part, if I don't know the person complimenting me, I can thank you and let it slide. For people that know me, and know I'm uncomfortable with receiving compliments, I have no problem being a jerk because they usually do it for that reason.
At my old job it was normal for new people to think of me as absent minded, but nice guy (I was polite, but I'm horrible with names. For about two months Steve was "New guy," even after other people were hired). People that knew me always corrected them, that while at first I was "a nice guy," once you got to know me I was really a "kind, sweet, caring, ***." And I took that as a compliment.

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 06:37 PM
Well...more like...it's too easy to eat very little (and of that, only fruit, yogurt, and grape nuts - I must force variety upon myself). It's a matter of reading the signs that tell me I need to eat even if I'm not "hungry".
Well, eating a crappy-limited diet and starving yourself will tend to do that to you. :smallyuk: Well, glad you're doing better with it. Hope the exercise has helped with the metabolism.

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 06:39 PM
Let's see...

Low self-esteem
Lazy
Cowardly
Clingy
Overweight
Inactive
Irresponsible
Not very social
Spends too much time on the computer
Unattractive
Not particularly intelligent
Lazy
Procrastinating
Apathetic
Impatient
Obsessive towards people (goes along with the whole Clingy thing)
Slow, mentally and physically
Works hard only for all the wrong things
Ungrateful
Nosy
Total lack of fashion sense
Amoral
Lazy

I'm sure I could come up with more, but as I've mentioned 3 times in the list, I'm too lazy. :smalltongue:

Ninja Chocobo
2009-08-10, 10:25 PM
Overweight
Unattractive

Now, now. These are physical flaws, not character flaws. If they were, I'd have already listed them.

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 10:45 PM
Now, now. These are physical flaws, not character flaws. If they were, I'd have already listed them.

I suppose, though they ARE pretty much physical indicators of my most severe flaw: laziness.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-12, 04:02 PM
Urg. Let's see.
Lazy, hypocritical, navel-gazing, too quick to judge, too slow to act, prone to procrastination, shy, incapable of forgiving myself or others, self-defeating, fun-hating, irritatingly self-deprecating, often lacking in empathy, decidely paranoid and closed most of the time, and whiny and clingy on the rare occasions that I find someone who likes me.

Bouregard
2009-08-12, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty arrogant and lazy. Usually the second one is sometimes quit problematic to overcome without paying attention to every word and gesture.

The Extinguisher
2009-08-12, 07:05 PM
I'm really stubborn, and I hate that I am. It's one of those, I need to fix now, problems, but it's really hard to change things like that.
:smallsigh:

Cyrano
2009-08-12, 09:49 PM
I'm really stubborn, and I hate that I am. It's one of those, I need to fix now, problems, but it's really hard to change things like that.
:smallsigh:

Call it determined. BAM. Fixed. Now you're a role model.

This also works for pretty much everything else in this thread.

Lupy
2009-08-12, 10:04 PM
I'm self righteous, self important, arrogant, and hypocritical. I look down on others. :smallredface:

The Extinguisher
2009-08-13, 01:02 AM
Call it determined. BAM. Fixed. Now you're a role model.

This also works for pretty much everything else in this thread.

I'd love to do that, but I'm also very lacking in the self-esteem and confidence departments, so that's out.

It also doesn't fix the problem of me being way to confrontational with things because "I know I'm right".