PDA

View Full Version : you can kiss the arkililians good bye....

theinsulabot
2009-08-08, 07:40 AM
if the bugs xykon gets his slimy claws on the galaxy rift

Squark
2009-08-08, 07:50 AM
Umm....

Wha?

I don't get it.

tomandtish
2009-08-08, 08:14 AM
Where are Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith when you need them....

tribble
2009-08-08, 12:46 PM
Umm....

Wha?

I don't get it.

it's a poor, spammy MIB reference. dont worry if you dont get it, you arent missing a lot.

thepsyker
2009-08-08, 01:02 PM
it's a poor, spammy MIB reference. dont worry if you dont get it, you arent missing a lot.
I don't know if it's a poor reference, the whole marble on the cats collar contains a galaxy thing seems close enough to the rift contains a planet for a joking comparison to work.

Winthur
2009-08-08, 01:27 PM
I watched Men in Black a godawful number of times now, and I didn't get that. :smallannoyed:

the whole marble on the cats collar

Check what Mr. Scruffy has on his neck. What if?...

theinsulabot
2009-08-08, 09:08 PM
I watched Men in Black a godawful number of times now, and I didn't get that. :smallannoyed:

gee i woulda thought the reference to bugs and/or arkillians would of at least given away the source material

Corwin Weber
2009-08-09, 01:49 AM
gee i woulda thought the reference to bugs and/or arkillians would of at least given away the source material

You're assuming the movie was that memorable.....

:)

daggaz
2009-08-09, 02:00 AM
That movie was great! Its just too bad they never bothered to make a sequel.. :smallyuk:

Bibliomancer
2009-08-09, 09:43 AM
That movie was great! Its just too bad they never bothered to make a sequel.. :smallyuk:

Men in Black II wasn't that bad from my perspective, although I assume from the smiley that you didn't like it.

Ancalagon
2009-08-09, 09:47 AM
Men in Black II wasn't that bad from my perspective, although I assume from the smiley that you didn't like it.

It was the very. same. thing. as the first part. Which made it QUITE boring. Basically no fresh ideas. It was one of the movies that had "We don't really care - we are just taking the opportunity to make cash" written all over it.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-09, 09:48 AM
It was the very. same. thing. as the first part. Which made it QUITE boring. Basically no fresh ideas. It was one of the movies that had "We don't really care - we are just taking the opportunity to make cash" written all over it.

How is that different from, say, any other sequel in existence?

Ancalagon
2009-08-09, 09:56 AM
How is that different from, say, any other sequel in existence?

Bad sequel: Look what worked, do the exact same thing again.
Good sequel: Take the characters and the setting - and make something new with it.

If you take a look at it, Indiana Jones II has not that much in common with Indiana Jones I. You have the same main-character, the same base-idea behind it... but both are basically different movies.

MiB II: They stretched it quite far to get the very same character-constellation again (write out that useless woman, get the cranky old man back in).
Part one had a fresh, cool idea. It told a nice story, had characters who came in and another who went out, that made perfect sense and was a good story. Part II was the same, regardless of the nice story they had before.
They even had the very same end-joke for MiB II as for part I. That really earned them the Crown of Lameness +4.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-09, 10:06 AM
Fair enough, but 95% of sequels do that as well. A further 4.9% take a different concept and do it badly. The last 0.1% includes Indiana Jones.

Ancalagon
2009-08-09, 10:08 AM
Fair enough, but 95% of sequels do that as well. A further 4.9% take a different concept and do it badly. The last 0.1% includes Indiana Jones.

Hmm... I doubt that. I think all sequels which "do that well" are not really your 95% category. Basically all sequels that "just do what we did in the first part" suck.

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 10:11 AM
What made MiB II even worse as a movie (as opposed to a collection of jokes, which I think it did do better than MiB I... but only in that regard and not by much) was that the Saturday morning cartoon series kicks its keister in writing and art direction. It had all sorts of awesome.

And yeah, I was pissed about the character dynamic not changing. I would have liked to see Elle.

theinsulabot
2009-08-09, 04:30 PM
wow, thread derailed. ah well, while we are on the subject, i wasn't a big fan of the second one either. i thought J had been a little flanderized from a rookie learning the ropes to a total goof off. it didn't seem to start out that way mind, but soon as K was back in the picture his I.Q. and general competence just got tossed out the window.

and yes, them ending on pretty much the same gag as the first one was just stupid.

thepsyker
2009-08-09, 05:50 PM
and yes, them ending on pretty much the same gag as the first one was just stupid.Especially sense the locker version in the second film didn't work anywhere near as well as the galaxy one. The galaxy one kind of worked in the context of the movie while being humorous, the locker one on the other hand was just entirely a gag, if you get what I'm saying.

Hawkeye
2009-08-09, 08:17 PM
if the bugs xykon gets his slimy claws on the galaxy rift

*groan* Ugh, that's awful :smallmad:

Berserk Monk
2009-08-09, 10:20 PM
I don't know if it's a poor reference, the whole marble on the cats collar contains a galaxy thing seems close enough to the rift contains a planet for a joking comparison to work.

You want to compare one planet fitting inside a large rift that destroyed a huge castle to a marble with a galaxy (ahuge network of hundreds of thousands of stars) in it?

thepsyker
2009-08-09, 11:23 PM
You want to compare one planet fitting inside a large rift that destroyed a huge castle to a marble with a galaxy (ahuge network of hundreds of thousands of stars) in it?No, I'm saying the way they are being used, big thing in something that shouldn't be able to hold it, are close enough to pull a joke out of the comparison. Admittedly its a bad joke, but then again I love puns so what do I know about good jokes.:smalltongue: Of course that just might be why I found the joke funny...

theinsulabot
2009-08-10, 06:00 AM
You want to compare one planet fitting inside a large rift that destroyed a huge castle to a marble with a galaxy (ahuge network of hundreds of thousands of stars) in it?

there is more then just ba planet however, look behind that planet and you can make out a great deal of stars. implying that its a whole galaxy, but thats the only planet blackwing could make out

Eldan
2009-08-10, 06:09 AM
Doesn't have to mean galaxy though, this is DnD science we are talking about. Maybe it's just a dome with bright lights.

theinsulabot
2009-08-10, 06:40 AM
Doesn't have to mean galaxy though, this is DnD science we are talking about. Maybe it's just a dome with bright lights.

close enough in my book

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-10, 06:46 AM

Bugs = extremely general. They're, like, all over the earth.

Arkillians (or however it's spelled) = extremely specific. Only something an MIB fan would actually remember. Maybe if you added a [/tommyleejones] or something at the end?

wow, thread derailed.

You can't derail something that was never going anywhere to begin with. :smallwink:

theinsulabot
2009-08-10, 04:24 PM
Bugs = extremely general. They're, like, all over the earth.

You can't derail something that was never going anywhere to begin with. :smallwink:

sure you can, you just have to get it moving first :smallamused:

Cerrakoth
2009-08-10, 07:42 PM
Matrix reloaded and revolutions were good sequels ;)
Star wars sequels were god awful. Bar return of the sith...
The Dark Knight was much better than Batman Begins... although all the material was already written in 60-70 years of comic book history...
These are the DVD sequels I can see on my shelf...

Bibliomancer
2009-08-10, 07:56 PM

Haven't seen these yet, although I've seen the original.

Really? I found the 3rd one the worst and the first sequel the best, because it didn't have Hayden Christensen in it.

theinsulabot
2009-08-10, 07:57 PM
The Dark Knight was much better than Batman Begins... although all the material was already written in 60-70 years of comic book history...
These are the DVD sequels I can see on my shelf...

i was depressed the day i realized my whole big hope i had for star wars 3 was "it wouldn't suck" i mean, it didnt and i am glad, but really? i wouldn't hate it? that was the big bright shining hope i had for it?

oh, and ill agree, dark knight was better then begins, but i am not sure DK wasn't the best one period, and i am sure there are some people who would string me up on the tallest tree they could find if they heard me say that, so meh.

Cerrakoth
2009-08-10, 08:06 PM
DK was the best super hero film ever made imho :smallbiggrin: Except maybe batman forever. On the super hero train of thought, the spiderman films got steadily better and the x-men steadily worse.

Also the Actor who plays Anakin who's name I can't be bothered to remember at 2am, was possibly the worst actor of all time, never before has so little emotion been payed so much...

Nimrod's Son
2009-08-10, 08:09 PM
Haven't seen these yet, although I've seen the original.
Don't bother. :smallsmile:

I really hope you mean "prequels" rather than "sequels" there, because The Empire Strikes Back is an absolute masterpiece and is approximately eighty times better than the first one.

Cerrakoth
2009-08-10, 08:13 PM
I meant release date rather than chronalogical order ;)

kpenguin
2009-08-10, 08:17 PM

Empire Strikes Back is still a sequel, so is the Return of the Jedi. They were released after the original and set after the original.

Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith were all prequels, released after the original and set before the original.

Nimrod's Son
2009-08-10, 08:17 PM
Well, sure, but by that token Star Wars has five sequels. And if you seriously think that Revenge of the Sith is the only one that didn't suck then, well, that makes me want to go sit in a corner and have a little cry.

Cerrakoth
2009-08-10, 08:20 PM
I meant the new three... I apolagise for not using the correct grammar.

thepsyker
2009-08-10, 10:05 PM
the spiderman films got steadily better You think Spiderman 3 is better than 1 and 2?:smallconfused:

Cerrakoth
2009-08-10, 10:14 PM
On par with 2, I didn't think 1 was all that great. SM 3 had the biggest CGI budget ever... They spent the majority on a 100% CGI New York when they had a perfectly servicable one ready... idiots.

Red XIV
2009-08-11, 01:22 AM
What made MiB II even worse as a movie (as opposed to a collection of jokes, which I think it did do better than MiB I... but only in that regard and not by much) was that the Saturday morning cartoon series kicks its keister in writing and art direction. It had all sorts of awesome.

And yeah, I was pissed about the character dynamic not changing. I would have liked to see Elle.
This. Nothing more need be said.