PDA

View Full Version : Swallowed [3.5]

Epinephrine
2009-08-08, 07:56 AM
So, when swallowed, you generally have to cut your way out, with a light slashing or piercing weapon.

That's fine, makes sense. Typically it has a nice low AC, since you are surrounded by it. My question is whether you feel that the creature's DR should apply?
A creature who can swallow whole and attains lichdom would require that you cut your way out with a light slashing or piercing weapon that can pierce DR15/magic and bludgeoning. Other than gnawing one's way out, that seems pretty odd.

The creature I am thinking of has swallow whole, and DR magic and piercing - it is has a rubbery hide, I'd presume by the description, and hence piercing weapons work best. I'm not sure this should matter much when attacking it from the other side of it's skin. Applying DR to the inside of creatures certainly makes it much harder to escape.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-08-08, 08:02 AM
As far as I can tell from the way the rules are written, you're supposed to apply the DR of the creature to all parts of the creature - D&D has no hit location system.

On the other hand, what you're suggesting is very reasonable and sensible. I reckon you should go with your instincts.
If the DR is from tough hide or armour plating or some similar physical attribute, you should at least halve it for swallowed creatures.
However, I'd suggest that where the DR is from magic, it would remain as written.

Yora
2009-08-08, 08:02 AM
Well, even if the insides of the creature are not protected by DR, you still have to get a decent hole in its skin to get out. It probably depends much on the creature, but generally, DR would apply.

For example, a lich creature would be a skeleton with roting flesh hanging on its bones. If it can still swallow whole, you'd probably be traped in its ribcage. Good luck slicing your way out of there. :smallbiggrin:
But then, it would make sense to break yourself free, so in such a situation, bludgeoning damage would be the appropiate type to open a hole. But in the end, it all comes down to how the gm wants to handle it.

Cieyrin
2009-08-08, 09:40 AM
Are there even any light weapons that do multiple damage types at the same time? The only weapon I can think of is a morningstar, which is one-handed, not light. A monk with Toothed Blow and Ki Strike could manage it but that's about it. I guess I fear the Dracolich with Snatch and Swallow. :smalleek:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-08, 04:12 PM
The damage you deal to cut your way out does not affect the creature's HP, so DR should be irrelevant.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-08, 04:26 PM
As far as I can tell from the way the rules are written, you're supposed to apply the DR of the creature to all parts of the creature - D&D has no hit location system.

On the other hand, what you're suggesting is very reasonable and sensible. I reckon you should go with your instincts.
If the DR is from tough hide or armour plating or some similar physical attribute, you should at least halve it for swallowed creatures.
However, I'd suggest that where the DR is from magic, it would remain as written.

This is how I handle it as well. A simple logic test usually gets things sorted out.

AslanCross
2009-08-09, 12:15 AM
There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Live creatures that swallow whole typically have gizzards, which are reinforced walls of grinding muscle. Sometimes they even have teeth inside them. These aren't soft and squishy in the same way that our intestines might be. I can imagine a magical creature that swallows and has DR would have DR working fine on the inside. It's easy to breach most forms of DR anyway.

The undead creature is a different case, especially since you brought up the specific lich example. It probably doesn't have a functioning gizzard, so I wouldn't think an undead creature would swallow things in the first place (unless it's a ghoul or some other predatory undead). If it's made of bone, I guess it's easy enough to houserule that you have to bash your way out instead.

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 12:43 AM
I don't think they intended DR to be taken into account, using the same line of logic as Biff.

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-09, 01:34 AM
DR is intended to apply in all situations, as if you've got to cut your way out, you have to get through the outer-covering of the creature as well, but that's already been mentioned.

Whether it's magical or physical in origin, unless the monster's entry specifically says that they can cut thier way out without facing DR, I'd see no way for them to do so. Best case in that scenario, is to hope your party members are working hard to vanquish the beast.

Though now, I'm debating hunting out a creature with the swallow-whole ability and giving it the Mineral Warrior template, and watching my party squrim...

Origomar
2009-08-09, 01:38 AM
You could make something to where in order to get out you have to do X number of damage and the last few inches of flesh have DR.

Think of cutting through a wall of stone, except its flesh. Diffrent layers have diffrent DR or hitpoints.( i would think there would be only two layers though)

Random832
2009-08-09, 01:42 AM
DR is not hardness. DR/magic, /alignment, and /silver or cold iron are all Supernatural abilities.

DR/—, /damage type, and /adamantine are Extraordinary, and can be legitimately interpreted to apply to only e.g. the outer surface of the creature.

As a DM I would rule that a creature that gains DR/bludgeoning via a template (e.g. by becoming a lich) loses the swallow whole ability, on the grounds that it's because they've become skeleton-like.