PDA

View Full Version : XMEN3

churchofbanjo
2006-05-26, 04:48 AM
WHOOT! Who else saw the midnight showing? THat was great! No plot spoilers.

LOTR_Dan
2006-05-26, 05:26 AM
It's good. As good as the others, I don't know.

But just so everyone knows STAY THROUGH TILL THE END OF THE CREDITS. Really. You will thank me latter.

cuibono_219
2006-05-26, 05:42 AM
I'm going to watch it tomorrow, and thanks for the tip, LOTR_Dan.

bosssmiley
2006-05-26, 06:42 AM
Seeing it Sat night. Not listening to this thread.

*sticks fingers in ears and does the spoiler-abjuring "la la la la la la la la la" chant*

The J Pizzel
2006-05-26, 11:14 AM
Watched the midnight showing last night. It was pretty good. I was slightly dissapointed in the character development. But, it was entertaining. I give it a 7 out of 10. And YES....STAY TILL THE END OF THE CREDITS. I won't say anything else for fear of spoilers. If you know alot about the comics and series...don't get your hopes up. They deter ALOT from the comics.

j pizzel.

theswarm
2006-05-26, 06:40 PM
I will be leaving to se it in about an hour. Hope its as good as the preview looked

DarthTurtle
2006-05-26, 06:52 PM
my posse and i are going soonish, i hope it's as good as it looks(ie lot of bomie!)

Brickwall
2006-05-26, 06:53 PM
I got a question to ask you guys: is that energy-reading girl from any comics/cartoons/games from before this movie?

Leyonius
2006-05-26, 09:31 PM
I have several questions.(iprobably would have seen the movie by the time I get back here to read them but answe them anyway)

pm the answers please I wouldn't like to spoil it for anyone else.

1) is The Living Monolith(Havok,but the other one sounds so mych cooler) or Vulcan involved, I doubt it because they would have been shown in the preveiws but I have a strange like of the two youngest Summers brothers(I would hate Cyclops if he wasn't Pheonix's boyfriend)

2) Does Angel get the stupid as hell gun thingy he had in the original comics

3) Are Bishop or Gambit involved in any way whatsoever(my two favorite Chars)

Van_Shipeldorf
2006-05-26, 10:14 PM
Well I saw it and through the whole thing I was just wondering where Nightcrawler had gone. No explanation... guess he just poofed out!

Argh! I didn't stay until after the credits, now I have to go again.

Hallavast
2006-05-26, 11:08 PM
The movie was ok at best... The effects were top notch and I got to see some of my favorite characters in it... but otherwise they took a chainsaw to the plotline, and they did NOT do the Phoenix justice. So, in other words, it was as good as the first two, but that's it... nothing special.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-27, 12:37 AM
It was good for the FX, but the plot sucked. Angel's most interesting scene is when he tries to cut his wings off. Other then that, Stay till after the credits, really

Beleriphon
2006-05-27, 10:07 AM
I really want to like the movie as an X-Men movie, but I'm torn over some of the characterization, particularly Xavier. If you want to see a fun action movie this a good choice.

happykat
2006-05-27, 10:33 AM
Pheonix needed more screen time, as did Angel. The movie could have been at least thirty minutes longer to add more plot ( and they could have taken all that Rogue/Ice-man bs out). It was a good film if you like X-men. If you're not a loyal fan, then it was just an okay film. I'm glad it wasn't a sapfest with a typical happy ending in every corner of the movie.
One question: Why the bridge? (seemed unnecessary)

pup3k
2006-05-27, 10:48 AM
Why the bridge you ask? Why the bridge?!

1. to show off special FX.
2. becuase it was just awesome to watch.
3. to put fear into the hearts of the humans

just my 2 cp

bosssmiley
2006-05-27, 10:52 AM
4. Because Magneto hates the colour orange and thinks the bridge was a huge, citrus-coloured eyesore.

"For the sake of aesthetics I must bring this monstrosity down!"

Possibly also a sneaky nod to Ian McKellen's bridge-smashing antics in LOTR1. 8)

Starla
2006-05-27, 11:22 AM
If my husband gets home from work early enough we will try to go tonight ;D

The Prince of Cats
2006-05-27, 11:34 AM
Are we ready for the follow-up films?

A certain rumour goes that not only is there a Wolverine solo film coming up but also Magneto gets his story told...

Beleriphon
2006-05-27, 11:40 AM
(and while I know about Ian McKellen, did anyone else think the '20 years previously' Magneto was a bit... well... obviously gay?)

Yes, he was very happy wasn't he, and British.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-27, 04:50 PM
I probably won't see it till the end June. It costs 8 bucks per person to see it now. If I wait till June it'll cost only $3. The $5 I just saved will now buy me popcorn and a drink (of which this place lets you have unlimited free refills).

So yeah, I'm dying to see it, but I've been raised to be a penny pincher ;)

I'm glad to hear that the previews won't spoil it, though I'm worried about it being a no-plot, adventure flick like I've heard. I like my movies like my games, a good mix of action and plot. Hack and slashes just ain't up my alley.

Mr._Blinky
2006-05-27, 09:05 PM
It was excellent, though not as good as X2, and I'd definately recommend it.

For some reason my friends and I got in for $5.50, which is the kids/seniors price, despite the fact that we all clearly had high school IDs. ???

Starla
2006-05-28, 01:08 AM
Thank you for the tip about staying through the credits. ;D My husband was greatful for the tip also.

Someone had 2 Z's and 2 Y's in their last name can you believe that!!

LordOfNarf
2006-05-28, 02:02 AM
Thank you for the tip about staying through the credits. ;D My husband was greatful for the tip also.

Someone had 2 Z's and 2 Y's in their last name can you believe that!!

staying throught he credits duidn't mean watching them.

And the most impresive part of the credits was the 6 colum thick Digital effects staff that scrolled by for nearly a minute.

DoomBard
2006-05-30, 09:49 AM
The worst movie of the bunch by far.

WampaX
2006-05-30, 11:10 AM
I did not enjoy it.
I did not hate it, either.

Either way would have been preferable, as this makes it just another mediocre movie to me. :(

Shea Landford
2006-05-30, 11:47 AM
I thought it was a good movie. Lots of blowing up. I feel that they ended it in a way that there might be a fourth. I went with my family, and so we didn't stay for the credits, but I wish we had now. Maybe next time.

Hungerdog
2006-05-30, 02:22 PM
I too, was largely unmoved by it. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.

It's a shame when you see a film and wonder why you bothered...

The trailer for "Ghost Rider" looked pretty cool, though!

WampaX
2006-05-30, 02:33 PM
I too, was largely unmoved by it. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.

It's a shame when you see a film and wonder why you bothered...

The trailer for "Ghost Rider" looked pretty cool, though!

It did . . . though the extended trailer for PotC: DMC just made me drool and was the highlight of the entire outing, for me.

Finwe
2006-05-30, 05:54 PM
The movie was ok at best... The effects were top notch and I got to see some of my favorite characters in it... but otherwise they took a chainsaw to the plotline, and they did NOT do the Phoenix justice. So, in other words, it was as good as the first two, but that's it... nothing special.

I have to disagree with you there. The first movie was by far the best of them all, but the second was still good. The third one, however, was not nearly as well made.

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 06:13 PM
I have to disagree with you there. The first movie was by far the best of them all, but the second was still good. The third one, however, was not nearly as well made.
I enjoyed this the most of all three of the movies. Indeed I can't even remember the plot of the second movie. I remember only that Jean died at the end.

Frankly the special effects have gotten so good in movies these days that I don't even notice them anymore. I think that's the greatest compliment of all.

I went Monday afternoon so I got in for the matinee price. I think it was $5.50. The ticket sellers were actually warning us to stay for the end of the credits. Usually I lke to stay anyway. A surprisingly large number of people shot out of there as soon as the credits started. I don't know if they forgot, never got told, or just didn't care. I've always wondered about people who seem to think that it's race to see who gets out of the theater fastest at the end.

Edit: I think Magneto is an interesting character as a Holocaust survivor. He's the only ethnic-specific character who comes to mind in any of the comic book worlds. I mean, Storm is black, for instance, but she doesn't have to be black. It's not relevant to her being who she is really. But Magneto pretty much has to be a Jew. Well, I suppose he could be a Gypsy because the Nazis put them in camps too, but are there any other just ethnic-specific characters that come to mind?

As far as future movies, that will depend on what sort of rate of return this one earns. If it does well, we can clearly expect at least one more X-Men movie because of the things that happen toward the end of this one.

Finwe
2006-05-30, 06:24 PM
Part of the problem with the integration of the two plots was that they had to quicken or eliminate much of the moral dilemma that the characters experienced, especially Magneto.

On a side note: am I the only one who thinks that, in the long run, the "cure" is utterly pointless? If mankind IS evolving, then eventually the entire human race will have "mutations," right? So although there will be some tough times in the transition, the whole world will eventually be populated by mutants.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-30, 07:09 PM
On a side note: am I the only one who thinks that, in the long run, the "cure" is utterly pointless? If mankind IS evolving, then eventually the entire human race will have "mutations," right? So although there will be some tough times in the transition, the whole world will eventually be populated by mutants.

To quote Popular Science "this franchise has about as much respect for evolution as Fred Flintstone" Sure, "mutations" are good for a comic book,but scientists would be quite worried if everyone had specifically unique powers. People don't evolve, Poputations evolve, and they evolve all in the same general pattern.

Finwe
2006-05-30, 10:36 PM
ah yes, I'm guilty of analyzing comic-book science

LordOfNarf
2006-05-30, 11:04 PM
ah yes, I'm guilty of analyzing comic-book science

meh, we all do it

WampaX
2006-05-31, 10:51 AM
To quote Popular Science "this franchise has about as much respect for evolution as Fred Flintstone" Sure, "mutations" are good for a comic book,but scientists would be quite worried if everyone had specifically unique powers. People don't evolve, Poputations evolve, and they evolve all in the same general pattern.

Pfft. Popular Science. He just hangs out with the "popular" kids. What does he know?

;D

CelestialStick
2006-05-31, 06:46 PM
Pfft. Popular Science. He just hangs out with the "popular" kids. What does he know?

;D
LOL. When I was a kid, all science was unpopular, and brains liked it that way! :D

Thistle
2006-06-01, 01:27 AM
It was a nice movie. One that I would tell someone to see but not buy. I agree the character development was lacking or poorly done and it seemed to be a cliffhanger more than the other two movies. But it had enough good moments to warrant a slight recommendation

Kish
2006-06-01, 07:34 PM
I loved it, personally. However, I'm inclined to think the exact opposite of this:

It was a good film if you like X-men. If you're not a loyal fan, then it was just an okay film.

I would say, if you're emotionally invested in what the characters do in the comics, you should avoid it. If you're functioning on a level of "what's in the previous two movies is what's happened to these characters before, and no one called Angel or Juggernaut has been introduced," you can enjoy it a lot more.

CelestialStick
2006-06-08, 06:29 PM
I loved it, personally. However, I'm inclined to think the exact opposite of this:
I would say, if you're emotionally invested in what the characters do in the comics, you should avoid it. If you're functioning on a level of "what's in the previous two movies is what's happened to these characters before, and no one called Angel or Juggernaut has been introduced," you can enjoy it a lot more.
I have to agree. If you like comic book superheroes but aren't an avid reader of the comic books, you'll like this one. I went with one of the players from my D&D group and we both loved it. His wife, however, had read on the Internet (nasty thing) about three characters dying and refused to even come with us to see it.

Crutsveldt_Jakob_D
2006-06-10, 07:00 AM
Some of the FX seemed to be at the wrong depth, you could see a few bad scene cuts, and angel got, oh, about 30 seconds. The plot fell apart, and the cure - oops! This almost became spoiler material. It's okay, but if there's something else you want to see playing, it isnt a "must".

Godhand
2006-06-10, 10:12 AM
I checked around and the reason Nightcrawler was not in the movie was

a: The hours long make-up process
and
b: The really short role

He had a two movie deal but didn't feel like coming back for such a minor part.

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 10:52 AM
I checked around and the reason Nightcrawler was not in the movie was

a: The hours long make-up process
and
b: The really short role

He had a two movie deal but didn't feel like coming back for such a minor part.
Plus there's the whole crawling around in the dark thing. ;)

ElfLad
2006-06-13, 11:54 PM
Too bad, Nightcrawler was easily the best part of the second movie, especially his opening scene.

Oh, and a Wolverine-focused movie? Hasn't there been, like, three of those already? ::)

Blueprint
2006-06-14, 04:21 AM
It's good. As good as the others, I don't know.

But just so everyone knows STAY THROUGH TILL THE END OF THE CREDITS. Really. You will thank me latter.

I was just happy for it all to end. Crappy movie. Was really dissapointed. Did anyone else feel like vomiting when Angel started flapping his wings and posing? Bad movie, ridiculus dialog. The only thing worth watching was Kelsey Grammer.

CelestialStick
2006-06-17, 05:48 PM
I was just happy for it all to end. Crappy movie. Was really dissapointed. Did anyone else feel like vomiting when Angel started flapping his wings and posing? Bad movie, ridiculus dialog. The only thing worth watching was Kelsey Grammer.
Heh. Did you read any of the previous posts on the thread? :D

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-23, 10:04 PM
WOOOOO WEE!

Those of you who didn't like this movie have severe issues. This was probably the best of the three, and I loved the other two to death.

I keep hearing people say it was all action, well, no, it wasn't. Quite a bit of non-violent acting and drama. It had quite a bit of humor both obvious and subtle.

<<<SPOILER>>>>

It was a great movie in all reguards, except for half the cast dying and putting an end to future movies. Its not going to be the X-men without two of the main characters and the third in a new body.

And here is one thing I gotta ask. Did anyone else see the chess piece move of its own accord at the end? None of those I went with saw it and say its just wishful thinking.

Vaynor
2006-06-23, 10:06 PM
WOOOOO WEE!

Those of you who didn't like this movie have severe issues. This was probably the best of the three, and I loved the other two to death.

I keep hearing people say it was all action, well, no, it wasn't. Quite a bit of non-violent acting and drama. It had quite a bit of humor both obvious and subtle.

<<<SPOILER>>>>

It was a great movie in all reguards, except for half the cast dying and putting an end to future movies. Its not going to be the X-men without two of the main characters and the third in a new body.

And here is one thing I gotta ask. Did anyone else see the chess piece move of its own accord at the end? None of those I went with saw it and say its just wishful thinking.
An end to the series? Dude, you didn't stay after the credits, did you? That sucks, I guess you have to go see it again... ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-23, 10:28 PM
Yes, I saw it till after the credits, hence my mention in the spoiler section. I just don't see a 4th coming around despite it.

Vaynor
2006-06-23, 11:05 PM
I think there will be, hopefully. :D

LordOfNarf
2006-06-24, 12:38 AM
I saw the movie again and looked for it, the chess peice moves just a fraction

Also, this francise makes to much $$ to abondon on the 3rd movie, the will be at least 6

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-24, 01:16 PM
I saw the movie again and looked for it, the chess peice moves just a fraction
I knew it!

Also, this francise makes to much $$ to abondon on the 3rd movie, the will be at least 6
Wonder how they'll manage it with most of the main characters gone, without powers, or in new bodies...
though with the twitching of the chess piece I guess all those who lost their powers might be back.

Gralamin
2006-06-24, 01:29 PM
<spoilers>
It Might possibly be only magneto because he was hit with 4 shots of the cure. Who knows if it would conteract each other or something. technically he was overdosed on the cure. also Xavier might get his regular body back if he meets with some aliens (who knows what those aliens can do?) Also I'm glad that Cyclops is dead, I never really liked him.

Oh and the movie was great, I can't belive people don't like it. sure while some of the minor characters acting sucked, the major characters (Xaiver, Magneto, Wolverine and Phenoix) rocked (admmitingly Patrik Steward and Sir Ian Mckellen don't need to try to be good actors but you know :P)

Ikkitosen
2006-06-25, 09:46 AM
[SPOILERS]

So did anyone actually see Cyclops die? No body, but Phoenix might have consumed him the same way as Prof. X, but considering how shamelessly they're going to have Magneto's (and hopefully Mystique's) powers return, I don't think a Cyclops return is off the cards just yet.

Seriously, Mystique should get her powers back, because Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ;D

EDIT: Marked for spoilers, as suggested.

Gralamin
2006-06-25, 10:21 AM
umm you should mark that as spoilers...

The only reason Xaviers coming back is because his powers all have to do with his mind.

Archonic Energy
2006-06-25, 10:49 AM
Wonder how they'll manage it with most of the main characters gone, without powers, or in new bodies...
though with the twitching of the chess piece I guess all those who lost their powers might be back.

there is another 2 movies planned... they signed Vinne Jones for the next 2...

LordOfNarf
2006-06-26, 01:47 AM
Ok, heres my psudo-scientific explanation for the powers coming back, with flair.

Since the X Gene is part of the mutants genetic makeup, when it is active they are perfectly healthy, and their immune system considers them as such. Then, when the gene is shut off, their imune system works to repair it to its normal function. When the immune system recovers from a disease, brooken bone, etc. it overcompensates, and their powers are going to come back stronger than before.

Not really accurate science, but it about matches the rationalyity level of the rest of the franchise.

CelestialStick
2006-06-26, 10:47 PM
WOOOOO WEE!

I don't know about them having issues, but I too enjoyed this one more than the first two.

Like I said, when I wasn't on the edge of my seat holding my breath, I was stifling sobs. When it wasn't full of action, it was full of drama.

I've heard that they will make a fourth movie about the whole group and a movie featuring Wolverine.

It definitely moved. They just weren't paying attention. That's not even the end of the movie, which features Patrick Stewart's voice speaking to the nurse in the facility caring for the person with no mind. So one way or another, Xavier is back.

So long as the current film earns a suitable rate of return on the capital the makers invested in it, they're likely to make another one.

Edit: Yes, we never saw Cyclops die.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-28, 01:24 PM
Finally saw this movie last night and, IMO, it sucked hard. I can't think of anything they did right with it. If they are making more, I won't see them unless they change writers and the director. To anyone who really enjoyed this movie, I'm glad you were able to get your money's worth out of it. I feel cheated out of my money.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-28, 01:29 PM
Finally saw this movie last night and, IMO, it sucked hard. I can't think of anything they did right with it. If they are making more, I won't see them unless they change writers and the director. To anyone who really enjoyed this movie, I'm glad you were able to get your money's worth out of it. I feel cheated out of my money.
Errr, can you give an example perhaps? I can't say I know of that many movies that they didn't do at least something 'right' in it. Even some movies I can't stand have a spot or two except for the really bad ones like Gone With the Wind.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-28, 02:35 PM
Errr, can you give an example perhaps? I can't say I know of that many movies that they didn't do at least something 'right' in it. Even some movies I can't stand have a spot or two except for the really bad ones like Gone With the Wind.

If I think of one I'll be sure to post it. The comment was probably a little strong but I don't have too much time to dwell on it at the moment. [Moving on Friday and all.] To be fair, you're probably right but I'm still so disgusted with the movie right now that I haven't moved past "not feeling like being fair" mode.

WampaX
2006-06-28, 02:47 PM
The discussion thread with spoilers is over here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1148704778 ;start=0).

Hey, VT, at least you paid a cheaper price than most of us and probably felt like you got a better deal for the amount of funds you put into the experience.