PDA

View Full Version : Movie Critic

DMgrinder
2006-06-21, 03:05 AM
Okay this is a thread to discuss and promote/suggest good movies. This is not a spam thread!

I'll start. Troy. Best duel ever! It did vary alot from the Iliad but it is a quality movie. It also portayed Orlando Bloom in his best role.

Pagz
2006-06-21, 03:26 AM
dont see need for speed underground:tokyo drift, unless your like me, with a gf, not intending to watch the movie...

Big_Red_Bird
2006-06-21, 07:43 AM
dont see need for speed underground:tokyo drift, unless your like me, with a gf, not intending to watch the movie...
Same reason I saw Chronicles of Narnia :D
I would recomend the older movie Gattaca. A very interesting and different take on the future of humanity.

Sneak
2006-06-21, 07:48 AM
Well, I like Crash (the new one). It's a great movie, and everything that happens has a purpose. Well made.

I also like The Inside Man, because...well, maybe I'm just stupid, but it actually made me think about what was going on. I want to see that one again.

Zaggab
2006-06-21, 10:40 AM
The shadow.
I swear I am the only one that has ever seen it. It was my favourite movie a couple of years ago, but about 4-5 years ago it disappeared mysteriously. Since I have gotten about 30% older since then, I might have changed my mind if I could see it today.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-21, 10:41 AM
Fight Club, and Suicide Circle.
Two of my favorite movies of all time.
Also, I loved V for Vendetta.

WampaX
2006-06-21, 10:58 AM
The shadow.
I swear I am the only one that has ever seen it. It was my favourite movie a couple of years ago, but about 4-5 years ago it disappeared mysteriously. Since I have gotten about 30% older since then, I might have changed my mind if I could see it today.

Batman Begins before Batman Begins? The original template for so many vigilante heroes?
Oooh, so pulpy and good. Tim Curry chewing every bit of the set he could sink his teeth into. Mass hypnotizm by Gengis Khan. An animated living weapon. Death traps, Dames, Doomsday Devices.
I probably need to snag it on DVD.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-21, 11:04 AM
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail - Hilarious, eminently quotable, and perhaps the best shaggy dog story of all time.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Another hilarious, and very quotable, film. It is an interesting look at the story of Hamlet from the perspective of the two titular characters. It's just such a clever conceit, and it's carried out brilliantly by Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

Star Trek II and IV: Classic.

Dead Poets Society: If you are or have ever been a young person, this movie should strike a cord in you.

The Man With No Name Trilogy - These three movies, directed by Sergio Leone, with music by Ennio Morricone, are the archetypal spaghetti westerns. Clint Eastwood was in peak form and the whole thing is just so stylistic. (Admittedly, Leone owed Kurosawa for this literally as well as figuratively.) I've been told by friends who didn't like them that these films are very hit or miss, either you love them or hate them. I don't know about that, I guess it could be true.

I like a lot of movies, so I could probably keep throwing them out all day. But I should stop now.

Mr Croup
2006-06-21, 11:08 AM
The shadow.

I must agree with Wampa X here, I mean, what's not to like? Then again, I'm a huge pulp fan, which probably explains why I liked The Phantom.

The one movie that I am always recommending is Dead Man. It's an Existentialist Western, you just can't beat that. It's beautifully filmed, has a wonderful cast, including Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer, Lance Henriksen, Iggy Pop, Billy Bob Thornton, and many other wonderful performers. The score was done by Neil Young using a bass, a guitar, an organ and a Harley Davidson. It's strange, the pacing is incredibly slow by intention, and it's wonderful. Not for everyone, or probably most, but I love it.

And ditto on R&G, fantastic movie. Hooray for Absurdism, or I suppose, post-Absurdism.

Zaggab
2006-06-21, 11:19 AM
Seriously, you are the only persons I haver ever "met" that have seen the shadow, WampaX and mrcroup. I mentioned it in another forum, and no one had ever heard of it. No one in my current class has seen it, and no one in the class before that, or the class before that.
And the fact that I have never seen it for sale, even in my towns biggest video shop. A movie club that you can rent movies from cheaply, which has, like, every concievable movie, doesn't have it.

I almost started to think that I had just imganined the whole thing.

Mr Croup
2006-06-21, 11:38 AM
It definitely wasn't a big hit, and while there are some that loved it, it never developed a real cult following, making it fairly hard to find. I've got a copy of it on VHS somewhere, but I really need to get it on DVD.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-21, 02:44 PM
I've seen it. And loved it, actually...the scene at the end with Genghis bellowing "I am Genghis Khan" and the guy in the next cell shouting "I'm napoleon!"...priceless.

Also that whole glass-shards things was astounding.

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-21, 02:47 PM
The Matrix Trilogy. They get worse as they go on, but damn they're good.

Evolution. This is one of the funniest films ever.

Chicken Little. A funny movie. I believe it to be Disney's take on the matrix. Just replace 'today is a new day' with 'there is no spoon' and it all falls into place. Or maybe my brain just makes strange connections.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-21, 03:07 PM
Ooo boy I've been waiting a longo time for this thread ;)

Good Movies
-Star Wars, Episodes 1 + 3
-IRobot
-Spaceballs
-LotR all 3
-Cool Runnings
-National Treasure
Not so Good Movies
-Star Wars, Episode 2
-Alexander (so I hear)
-D&D Movie (so I hear)

LooseCannon
2006-06-21, 04:30 PM
The Boondock Saints. For the kids out there, wait till you get to college, I guarantee you'll see it before the end of your first year. It's funny, serious, and scary...all at the same time.

American History X. Probably the best movie on racism that exists. Edward Norton should have won the Oscar for this film.

WampaX
2006-06-21, 04:51 PM
The Boondock Saints. For the kids out there, wait till you get to college, I guarantee you'll see it before the end of your first year. It's funny, serious, and scary...all at the same time.

Why wait? Go see it now.

I tell ya, Space Mutiny . . .if there is a better movie that rips off Battlestar Galactica special effects sequences, filmed the bowels of an interstellar vessel in an abandoned factory, and has not one but TWO floor buffer chase sequences . . . I haven't found it yet. Good thing, too.

Midnight Son
2006-06-21, 04:58 PM
Ooo boy I've been waiting a longo time for this thread ;)

Good Movies
-Star Wars Episodes 4-6
-IRobot
-Spaceballs
-LotR all 3
-Cool Runnings
-National Treasure
Not so Good Movies
-Star Wars, Episodes 1 - 3
-Alexander (so I hear)
-D&D Movie (so I hear)Fixed. Stick with the original three. I might have moved IRobot as well, but I haven't seen it, so I reserve judgement.

Mr Croup
2006-06-21, 05:00 PM

I'd also recommend checking out Overnight, a documentary about the process of making and releasing The Boondock Saints and all the pitfalls and mishaps along the way, and Troy Duffy's decline. It's definitely interesting if you're a fan of the movie, or interested in the process of creating a movie.

Along the same lines, I love Lost in La Mancha, a documentary of the failed filming of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote by Terry Gilliam. It's amazing. Everything that could possibly goes wrong does during the process. Probably my favorite documentary.

Hungerdog
2006-06-21, 06:19 PM
Lemme see...

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 1&2
From Dusk til Dawn
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Batman Begins
Underworld (Both of them)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Taxi Driver
Adventures of Robin Hood (Erroll Flynn)
Captain Blood (see above)
The Seahawk (also see above)
In the Heat of the Night
Lillies of the Field
Casablanca
From Here to Eternity
Citizen Kane
Forrest Gump

That'll do for a start. What? I have eclectic taste...

Comments?

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-06-21, 08:50 PM
Why wait? Go see it now.

I tell ya, Space Mutiny . . .if there is a better movie that rips off Battlestar Galactica special effects sequences, filmed the bowels of an interstellar vessel in an abandoned factory, and has not one but TWO floor buffer chase sequences . . . I haven't found it yet. Good thing, too.

Oh man...I remember that. Unbelievably bad, and yet so funny to watch.

Needs a couple of similarly-minded smartmouth friends for best viewing, though. :D

DMgrinder
2006-06-22, 01:29 AM
Sin City. Love the babes. Love the color. Love the running guns action and narrating.

DnD the movie. Sucks. If I were to make another DnD movie, (and I would jump at the chance) it would be like real DnD, and I don't mean; not lame. It would feature some of the most outrageous fights since Kung Fu Hustle (a good movie by the way) with axex splitting skulls only to be pulled out and thrown back. Just my take, but i think it would be good. Also DnD format fits perfectly with TV series format. Why they didn't realise this is beyond me.

Pagz
2006-06-22, 06:04 AM
i agree, the d&d movie sucked, needed more magic, as to what i can remember (i saw it ages ago) it had little to none. needed more battles, crazy fights are always nice, but the problem with movies like this is that everyone has such high expectations that nearly anything they produce will just not be good enough, and do you know whos fault that is...

THEIRS!!! thats whos :P