PDA

View Full Version : War forged.

Shinizak
2009-08-08, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the "living construct" type is a bit to overpowered? Immunity to energy drain, immunity to breathing, immunity to nausea of all kinds, and so on. Yeah it takes twice as much to heal, but that doesn't really mean squat at higher levels.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Arakune
2009-08-08, 01:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the "living construct" type is a bit to overpowered? Immunity to energy drain, immunity to breathing, immunity to nausea of all kinds, and so on. Yeah it takes twice as much to heal, but that doesn't really mean squat at higher levels.

Aparently. Powerful? Possible. Overpowered? Hardly.

AstralFire
2009-08-08, 01:01 PM

Warforged are a tad bit on the strong side for some things, but they take penalties for being any type of caster except for an Int-based psion or the rare int-based Divine Casters, which means it's okay.

I'd still rather be a human for most builds, mechanically speaking.

Thrawn183
2009-08-08, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=Shinizak;6677924] immunity to breathing, [QUOTE]

Thank god they're not anaerobes!

Shinizak
2009-08-08, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Shinizak;6677924] immunity to breathing, [QUOTE]

Thank god they're not anaerobes!

Shush you, I speak gooder then you any day, and I ain't not the type to lie! :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-08, 01:31 PM

And they have weaknesses of their own.

they're a great race, but not overpowered. You want an overpowered race? Strongheart Halfling or Whisper Gnome. Or Lesser Aisamaar.

sofawall
2009-08-08, 01:53 PM
Alternatively, human.

jmbrown
2009-08-08, 01:55 PM
Doesn't a warforged take half from cures and can only be repaired? It's been a while since I played 3.x Eberron.

I don't think they can heal naturally, either, so once a warforged shuts off he's done until someone patches him up.

AslanCross
2009-08-08, 05:57 PM
Warforged don't heal naturally. They have to patch themselves up instead of sleeping, and the Craft check is kind of hard to make (Craft check result - 15 = HP healed).

It takes a whole eight hours to do that, too.

They're powerful if you have an artificer, but without one they can have numerous problems with getting their HP back up.

only1doug
2009-08-09, 04:48 AM
Warforged don't heal naturally. They have to patch themselves up instead of sleeping, and the Craft check is kind of hard to make (Craft check result - 15 = HP healed).

It takes a whole eight hours to do that, too.

They're powerful if you have an artificer, but without one they can have numerous problems with getting their HP back up.

we have a warforged in my current group, he heals himself with vampiric weaponry. (backup healing from my gish, spellpoint system so I keep repair light damage memorised for out of combat healing).

JeminiZero
2009-08-09, 08:40 AM
There are various ways to get limitless healing to take care of their repair problems. A Warforged in a party with a Dread Necro can take Tomb Tainted soul to benefit from unlimited Charnel Touch negative energy healing.

Another way: I'm running a Warforged: 1 Swordsage / 1 Shadowsun Ninja / 6 Warlock in a PbP campaign. Shadowsun Ninja grants touch of the shadow sun that steals a small amount of positive energy from a touched target, without limit. He picked up some undead via dead walk invocation, and uses them as meatshield minions. Since "stealing" positive energy from undead effectively heals them, he can easily heal his minions up outside of combat. In turn, the positive energy he extracts can be used to heal not only himself, but the whole party, and injured NPCs.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-09, 08:42 AM

Wand of Vigor, Lesser.

I do believe I have won, sir.

zarakstan
2009-08-09, 08:42 AM
I think Warforged are a bit on the powerful side, but the not being able to heal naturally hurts at low level. And Warforged has more roleplaying potential than most other races so I like them! :smallsmile:

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 08:44 AM
There are various ways to get limitless healing to take care of their repair problems. A Warforged in a party with a Dread Necro can take Tomb Tainted soul to benefit from unlimited Charnel Touch negative energy healing.

Another way: I'm running a Warforged: 1 Swordsage / 1 Shadowsun Ninja / 6 Warlock in a PbP campaign. Shadowsun Ninja grants touch of the shadow sun that steals a small amount of positive energy from a touched target, without limit. He picked up some undead via dead walk invocation, and uses them as meatshield minions. Since "stealing" positive energy from undead effectively heals them, he can easily heal his minions up outside of combat. In turn, the positive energy he extracts can be used to heal not only himself, but the whole party, and injured NPCs.

...I'm trying and failing to imagine what this Shadow Sunforged would look like, except that it must be awesome. Wanna help?

zarakstan
2009-08-09, 08:53 AM
Warforged are awesome to make descriptions for :smallcool: I was this warforged soulborn ran around pulling swords out of my thighs O.o

JeminiZero
2009-08-09, 09:07 AM
...I'm trying and failing to imagine what this Shadow Sunforged would look like, except that it must be awesome. Wanna help?

Dressing wise, he's supposed to have a tan leather overcoat, navy blue shirt and black trousers, and a cowboy hat. Power-wise, he's supposed to be a Glaivelock (a rather suboptimal one given how he's lost 2 caster levels for essentially the ability to support undead minions prior to Utterdark blast). So in my inner imagination of his portrait, he would punching the air with one fist, holding a violet energy glaive, with a bunch of undead minions in the background. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 09:12 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/Beetle_bug7/highfive.png

He is awesome.

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-09, 09:56 AM
In a game that broke up at seventh level (at least for me, bought off the LA). Gesalt game. Made a Warforged Phrenic Barbarian/Fighter/Warforged Juggernaught//Dread Necromancer with Tomb Tainted Soul. Went with a Hierloom Adamantine Scythe, and the fighter alternative class feature of Dungeoncrasher.

I could heal myself, cast fully, be a force in melee, and be the most powerful doorknob I'm aware of.

Went with Adamantine body, and named him for the sound I figured his armor would make when settling. Shhan-Jahnk.

zarakstan
2009-08-09, 09:59 AM
Unless I'm horridly mistaken Adamantine Body counts as heavy armor and has incredible AFC so the whole DN wouldn't work . . . :smallconfused:

AslanCross
2009-08-09, 10:00 AM
Wand of Vigor, Lesser.

I do believe I have won, sir.

Hmm. The wording of the Living Construct entry says Conjuration (Healing) spells only work at half effect. The loophole is kind of debatable, but I've always ruled it such that lesser vigor only heals half of what it heals on Warforged (since the party only ever uses their wand out of combat anyway). Is there any official ruling on the matter?

Unless I'm horridly mistaken Adamantine Body counts as heavy armor and has incredible AFC so the whole DN wouldn't work . . . :smallconfused:

35% ASF. Same as full plate.

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 10:04 AM

Still Spell, Armored Caster, not casting any Somatic spells in combat, there's a few ways to deal with it, potentially.

zarakstan
2009-08-09, 10:06 AM
Dressing wise, he's supposed to have a tan leather overcoat, navy blue shirt and black trousers, and a cowboy hat. Power-wise, he's supposed to be a Glaivelock (a rather suboptimal one given how he's lost 2 caster levels for essentially the ability to support undead minions prior to Utterdark blast). So in my inner imagination of his portrait, he would punching the air with one fist, holding a violet energy glaive, with a bunch of undead minions in the background. :smalltongue:

Hmmm . . . You had your warforged wear clothes . . . I've never done that :smallamused:

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-09, 10:07 AM
DM let me work it with Somatic Weaponry (Armor Spikes).

Assassin89
2009-08-09, 10:29 AM
Dressing wise, he's supposed to have a tan leather overcoat, navy blue shirt and black trousers, and a cowboy hat.

That would have been nice if the warforged one of the member in the group I play in wore clothes. It would have made the time he was turned into a goblin less traumatic.

That particular warforged was a healer who was able to convert cure spells to repair spells for himself and was a meatshield, as he got 20 bonus hit points when the game began, meaning that he had around 38 hit points at second level. He only died once, but was when he was a goblin and he was later resurrected. He later took levels in wizard, but the ASP caused by his ironwood body caused some problems.

zarakstan
2009-08-09, 10:30 AM
Living constructs don't get the bonus 20 hp I don't think . . .

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 10:31 AM
That would have been nice if the warforged one of the member in the group I play in did so too. It would have made the time he was turned into a goblin less traumatic.

It burns because I was just talking about WoW and all I can see are the WoW goblins and that's worse

I don't think so either.

Assassin89
2009-08-09, 10:39 AM

I guess it was a houserule, or it might be the rules of the construct type. I think living construct is a subtype.

It burns because I was just talking about WoW and all I can see are the WoW goblins and that's worse

Was it because those goblins were also not wearing clothes? Because I'm sure that nude goblins are a good source of mental trauma.

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 10:46 AM
Was it because those goblins were also not wearing clothes? Because I'm sure that nude goblins are a good source of mental trauma.

Yes. Thinking about them + your statement = mind burnage.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-09, 10:58 AM
I thought I read somewhere that war forged cannot be resurected by any spell. Death is permanent. If so, does this count as a weakness?

Assassin89
2009-08-09, 11:11 AM
I thought I read somewhere that war forged cannot be resurected by any spell. Death is permanent. If so, does this count as a weakness?

That depends on whether warforged do have souls/whatever is called back from the outer planes, but that is an entirely different can of worms altogether.

PId6
2009-08-09, 11:13 AM
They're considered fully sapient and are able to be resurrected normally.

Teron
2009-08-09, 12:12 PM
You may be thinking of the warforged juggernaut PrC. It makes you fully immune to spells of the healing subschool, including resurrection.

AslanCross
2009-08-09, 05:42 PM
Hmmm . . . You had your warforged wear clothes . . . I've never done that :smallamused:

My warforged, Flamberge-Two, had a leather overcoat as well (standard issue in Eberron, apparently). There was also one time he wore a blackscale lizardfolk's head as a hat, ala Belkar.

chiasaur11
2009-08-09, 05:50 PM
My warforged, Flamberge-Two, had a leather overcoat as well (standard issue in Eberron, apparently). There was also one time he wore a blackscale lizardfolk's head as a hat, ala Belkar.

If I ever play a warforged, he will wear pants with pockets in them and a belt.

He will also have a nice high Int.

Prime32
2009-08-09, 06:43 PM
If I ever play a warforged, he will wear pants with pockets in them and a belt.

He will also have a nice high Int.
http://www.atomic-robo.com/images/robo_costume.jpg

Xenogears
2009-08-10, 01:44 AM
I want to play a warforged. But i feel that if i do I will spend all of my money on making him look cool rather than be effective. Like turning a bag of holding into my chest cavity.

"Quick everyone! Hold your breath and leap into my chest!"

Sanguine
2009-08-10, 01:49 AM
I want to play a warforged. But i feel that if i do I will spend all of my money on making him look cool rather than be effective. Like turning a bag of holding into my chest cavity.

"Quick everyone! Hold your breath and leap into my chest!"

And that is bad how? If the group is under optimized you will fit in, if the group is optimized they can probably handle combat while you be awesome, if it is somewhere in the middle just make the most of class features and such.

Xenogears
2009-08-10, 02:10 AM
And that is bad how? If the group is under optimized you will fit in, if the group is optimized they can probably handle combat while you be awesome, if it is somewhere in the middle just make the most of class features and such.

True. Plus now all I can think of is calling my Warforged Soundwave and carrying the party in my chest all the time...