-Abjuration
-Conjuration
-Illusion
-Evocation
-Enchantment
-Transmutaion
-Divination
-Necromancy
My favorite is conjuration (divination second), I like the idea of creating things, healing creatures, switching dimensions and going across your's, plus I like clouds, fogs etc..My least favorite is enchantment (very close with necromancy though) because I find manipulating peoples minds to not have much variety (Monstrous thrall, for instance...) and is not very nice (in general).
So far:

Conjuration: + 7.5
Illusion: +6.5
Transmutaion: +5.5
Abjuration: +0.5
Evocation: -1
Divination and Enchantment: -5
Necromancy: -9

Starsinger
2009-08-08, 04:09 PM
Theoretically, when each school consists of only what it's meant to hold my favorite is Evocation, and my least favorite is Divination, people aren't supposed to know everything.

Korivan
2009-08-08, 04:10 PM
Tie between conjuration and transmutation. Depends on the style of wizard i'm playing. Least favorite would also be enchantment.

Jade_Tarem
2009-08-08, 04:14 PM
Favorite is Divination. Maybe people aren't supposed to know everything, but wizards are. :smalltongue:

Some days, though, I prefer Conjuration.

Least favorite is Necromancy. It wasn't always that way. I liked it when it was actually the school of life and death. But then it was just the school of negative energy, tacky clothing, bad poetry, and a bunch of necromancers ranting about how it was still the power of life and death, and I lost all respect for it.

TheCountAlucard
2009-08-08, 04:17 PM
My favorite? Necromancy. Cursing and weakening your enemies, and then making them into zombies is awesome.

My least favorite? Necromancy. Necromancy is the "grr, evulz" school, most of them tenuously based on a vague allusion to negative energy.

:sigh:

EDIT: Semi-ninja'ed.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-08, 04:18 PM
My favorite? Easy: Evocation.

Why? It's simple, straight forward and doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is. It's nice sometimes.

Least favorite? It'd have to be Abjuration. Defense is annoying, but necessary.

Kylarra
2009-08-08, 04:22 PM
Fav: Transmutation

Least: Illusion

Morty
2009-08-08, 04:23 PM
My favorite is Transmutation, because I've always felt that moving stuff around and changing it is the best thing a wizard can do.
My least favorite is Conjuration, because creating stuff from nothing is stupid and defeating your enemies using clouds of gas or walls is... well...

Sanguine
2009-08-08, 04:23 PM
Favorite: Enchantment. Purely for Otto's Irresistible Dance. Dance my puppets dance.

Least Favorite: Abjuration, it just is rather bland in my opinion.

Delaney Gale
2009-08-08, 04:29 PM
I love me some Transmutation. The least favorite depends on the game... but overall I'll say Enchantment. It's so save-dependent. Yes, when I cast sniper's shot I may not be directly taking something out of the fight, but the sneak attack damage is a lot more useful than a fizzled spell.

Keld Denar
2009-08-08, 04:33 PM
Favorite - Conjouration! Mostly the Teleport subschool, but I'm also VERY partial to fogs and clouds of all types.

Least Favorite- Enchantment. How many ways do I need to make you say "I love you"? At least 1 per spell level!

ritztastic
2009-08-08, 04:48 PM
Least Favorite- Enchantment. How many ways do I need to make you say "I love you"? At least 1 per spell level!

Come now, all of us (especially Collin) know that only one spell really matters for that purpose...

That spell and Otto's Dance are the only reasons Enchantment is my favorite.

My least favorite? Probably Necromancy. Too much bookkeeping for me to bother with undead, and if you're not going to raise hordes, why bother?

Keld Denar
2009-08-08, 04:55 PM
Come now, all of us (especially Collin) know that only one spell really matters for that purpose...
Mindrape them all and sort them by height?

My least favorite? Probably Necromancy. Too much bookkeeping for me to bother with undead, and if you're not going to raise hordes, why bother?

1 word...

Enervation

waterpenguin43
2009-08-08, 04:57 PM
Since this turned out to be more popular than I expected, I'm going to count the order of most-to-least popular schools.
So far:
Transmutaion: +3.5
Evocation: +2
Conjuration: +1.5
Divination: +0
Tie between Necromancy,Abjuration and Illusion: -1
Enchantment: -3

I am also coppying this to the first post and calculating it as we go.

AslanCross
2009-08-08, 05:08 PM
Illusion is my favorite. You can get really creative with it. Second is Evocation. I like the idea of massive explosions, though I understand that it's considered underpowered. If one were to take all the orb spells out of Conjuration and give them to Evocation, Evocation would be my favorite.

My least favorite is necromancy.

quick_comment
2009-08-08, 05:12 PM
My least favorite is conjuration. Its full of so many things that dont belong in it.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-08, 05:14 PM
Favorite School: Evocation. Simple, flashy, fun, & apparently how the game was "meant" to be played.

Least Favorite: Necromancy. A school without a cause. Many things that should be in it aren't, & what's left comes off as emo & pretentious claptrap for mages who wanna be spooky, but just don't know how.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-08, 05:16 PM
Favorite: Evocation

Least Favorite: Enchantment

sofawall
2009-08-08, 05:31 PM
+ Trans
- Ench

Aron Times
2009-08-08, 05:33 PM
Favorite: It's a tie between Divination and Enchantment.

Least Favorite: Necromancy. I do not like icky-icky slimy undead.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-08, 05:36 PM
I'm going to have to go for Conjuration as my favorite, if only for the summons. Things like Bands of Steel and the fog line are just gravy on top of that.

Least favorite is probably evocation. Just because everyone can see your gigantic fireball doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

Eldan
2009-08-08, 05:50 PM
Favourite: illusion. There's nothing more interesting and versatile. Unless your enemy has true seeing, which everyone seemsto have at high levels :smallsigh:

Least: Evocation. It's just boring.

Tafkan
2009-08-08, 05:55 PM
Looks like I'll be the first one (probably only one :smallyuk:) who picks Abjuration as their favourite school. I just have a thing for wizards who do it defensively and focus on survival rather than just destroying everything on their way.

As for my least favourite... Probably transmutation. There's just too many spells that make me go "What the hell are you actually transmuting here?", sadly.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-08, 06:05 PM
Favorite: Abjuration. Dispelling, warding, sealing and banishing are such cool concepts, and glyphs and runes are awesome. It seems this is an unpopular choice, though.

Least favorite: Necromancy. Undead is my favorite creature type and I love including them in my games, but I'm not a fan of the actual Necromancy spells, except possibly Bestow Curse and Enervation.

deuxhero
2009-08-08, 06:13 PM
Least:
Evocation - Is it even an argument that this is the worst of the schools?

Most:
Conjuration - It can do anything.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-08, 06:13 PM
In order:
Illusion: The most...creative spells are in it
Necromancy: Why fight when you can get a zombie to do it for you? Or better yet, make the enemy weaker and weaker until he joins your side.
Conjuration: Summoning is fun
Enchantment: Morally questionable IMHO, which is sometimes acceptable but sometimes not
Transmutation: I've just never had a reason to care abiout this school besides power
Evocation: Flashy but weak
Abjuration: Too passive
Divination: See abjuration, but without Maw of Chaos.

FMArthur
2009-08-08, 06:14 PM
Favorite: Conjuration. It's powerful and diverse and has some of the best battlefield control... but I don't really care. I just like the Summon Monster line of spells and some of the cool PrCs that focus on summoning.

Least Favorite: Abjuration. I have to keep it because of certain vital spells, but nothing in it is actually interesting to me. :smallsigh:

GrandMasterMe
2009-08-08, 06:21 PM
Favorite: Illusion. It is insanely fun to mess with peoples minds :smallbiggrin:

Least Favorite: Enchantment. It's not so fun to take their minds over :smallfrown:

Kaihaku
2009-08-08, 07:46 PM
Favorite: Transmutation because it's a crazy diverse and fun school. Only Illusion is more versatile and, fortunately, Transmutation doesn't get screwed by one spell like Illusion does.

Least Favorite: Necromancy isn't even really its own school. It's mostly a collection of Transmutation, Conjuration, and Enchantment effects with 'scary' themes.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-08, 08:12 PM
Favorite: Enchantment I am Lawful Evil. You are an NPC. Resistance bonuses are futile.

Least Favorite: Evocation Why blow stuff up when I can have my other vassals party members do it?

AmberVael
2009-08-08, 08:26 PM
Favorite: Enchantment. Enchantment is just fun- messing with people's memories, actions, and mind? Good stuff. Not necessarily the best, what with all the immunities against it, but fun.

Least Favorite: Transmutation. Mechanically powerful? Yeah. But the way it is executed in DnD, at least, doesn't appeal to me. Druids with wildshape are interesting, Changelings with their little disguise thing are nifty, but the polymorph line of spells and stuff just turn me away from this school.

Elfin
2009-08-08, 08:33 PM
Favorite: Evocation.
No matter how weak it is, creating storms of fire, ice and lightning and making meteors rain down is awesome.

Least Favorite:Enchantment
Very save dependent.

zarakstan
2009-08-08, 08:39 PM
My favorite at the moment is probably Necromancy (Count Strahd anyone?)
and least favorite is probably enchantment . . .

PirateMonk
2009-08-08, 08:53 PM
Favorite: Necromancy, for the debuffs
Least Favorite: Evocation, for the unsubtlety

jindra34
2009-08-08, 09:48 PM
Favorite: Conjuration by a land slide. I also have a tendency to break it to the point where I'm not allowed to specialize in it.
Least Favorite: Evocation, it seems to be a one or two trick pony school.

Altima
2009-08-08, 09:51 PM
Favorite: Divination. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Least favorite: Divination. Munchkins ruined it.

Siosilvar
2009-08-08, 10:07 PM
My favorite school is abjuration. "You can't touch this."

My least favorite school is necromancy. Mostly for the reasons others who have disliked it gave.

Sanguine
2009-08-08, 10:17 PM
Favorite: Divination. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html)Obligatory Text

Mr.Moron
2009-08-08, 10:31 PM
:smallsmile: : Conjuration: Teleportation & Summoning two of my favorite things conceptually. That conjuration kicks ass as a school is just the cherry on top.

:smallyuk: : Necromancy: Just never been a fan of undead, disease effects, curses or anything of that nature. Fear effects are cool awesome but not enough to save the school for me.

Abjuration & Illusion are also thematic favorites.

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-08-08, 10:45 PM
I like all of them generalist wizard for the win.:smallbiggrin:
But the school with the least amount of spells are enchantments.

PumpkinJack
2009-08-08, 11:17 PM
Most Favorite: Probably conjuration, if only because of so many interesting and useful spells. All of the great movement spells are covered. There are summons that can be used for numerous purposes, not just combat. You still have great combat spells and battlefield control spells. And then you have lots of general utility spells (like major creation) for flavor. Transmutation is a close second for the same reasons, though 1st level trans spells are pretty boring so I don't like to specialize in this one.

Least Favorite: Necromancy. Mostly because it has so much wasted potential for "black magic" that has nothing to do with undead and other spell schools often outshine it. Evocation is a close second because of the one-trick pony bit. Again this is wasted potential since it doesn't have to be all about hit point damage.

Xenogears
2009-08-09, 12:13 AM
Least Favorite: Divination. I like my non-deterministic universe thank you very much.

Favorite: Hmmmm. Evocation i suppose. Lightning is just so awesome....

Gralamin
2009-08-09, 12:34 AM
Favorite: Abjuration. Prevention and defending leaves others to do the hard work.

Least Favorite: Enchantment.

Gnorman
2009-08-09, 04:32 AM
Favorite:

Bloody hell, making me choose? I suppose it's a damnably close race - I love Conjuration because it's simply the best school ever, what with the insane tactical possibility it offers. Illusion is beautiful because you, as a player, have supreme creative control. And Enchantment is delicious because it's just plain fun.

Least favorite is easy: Necromancy. Boooo gothy emo wizards.

Saph
2009-08-09, 04:38 AM
Hard to choose.

Favourite: Probably Transmutation. There are just so many fun spells in it (probably too many, if we're being honest). Runner-up would be Enchantment, just because I love the charm and confusion spells so much.

Least favourite: Necromancy. Powerful? Yes. Creepy? Double yes.

ArchaeologyHat
2009-08-09, 05:04 AM
Favourite: Illusion, lots of potential for all kinds of magical asshattery.

Least Favourite: Abjuration, I don't care how "powerful" or "important" it is, it's bland.

Yora
2009-08-09, 05:07 AM
Favorite is Transmutiation. Jumping and flying around, throwing stuff at people, shapechanging, climbing on walls. All good stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Least favorite Conjuration. You summon weak monsters or clouds. Meh.

Eldariel
2009-08-09, 05:07 AM
Hm.

Favourite: Divination - Knowledge is power and I have knowledge. I'm very much into subtlety and moving things a bit from behind the scenes

Least Favourite: Evocation - So incredibly direct and unimaginative; such a waste of power. How many ways to say "I hurt you" do you really need?

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-09, 06:12 AM
Favourite: Illusion. Convincing your team-mates there's a Half Dragon T-Rex chasng them is fun (or at least it would be it they weren't gestalt and had unholy Saves). Versatile and fun, me likes.

Least favourite: Abjuration. I know it's useful, and for some spells pretty darned important, but I'm much more of a blast first ask questions later arcanist player.

Of course in real life if I could have access to only one it'd be Enchantment, or as I like to think of it the "Rule the World for Dummies" school.

Leon
2009-08-09, 06:55 AM
Favorite: Abjuration (Transmutation is a close second)

Least Favorite: Divination

tcrudisi
2009-08-09, 07:13 AM
Favorite: This one is too close to call. It's a tie between Enchantment and Illusions. Yeah, I really like messing with people's minds.

Least Favorite: Divination. I just feel like there's not enough choices to make it a great school. It has some great spells, but not enough of them.

Eldariel
2009-08-09, 09:12 AM
Favourite: Illusion. Convincing your team-mates there's a Half Dragon T-Rex chasng them is fun (or at least it would be it they weren't gestalt and had unholy Saves). Versatile and fun, me likes.

I'd just like to point out that unless they interact with the illusion, they get no save. So saves be damned, until people have True Seeing at will, you're free to screw with people as much as you wish (though some people might know better than to take everything for what it looks like).

Cyrion
2009-08-09, 09:13 AM
Favorite: Illusion
Most Useful: Conjuration
Least Favorite: Divination

PumpkinJack
2009-08-09, 09:49 AM
Of course in real life if I could have access to only one it'd be Enchantment, or as I like to think of it the "Rule the World for Dummies" school.

In real life, I'd have to say Transmutation. I wouldn't want to manipulate people's minds in real life but flying, shape-changing, seeing in the dark, breathing water, controlling the weather. That stuff would be cool!

PumpkinJack
2009-08-09, 09:53 AM
Least favorite Conjuration. You summon weak monsters or clouds. Meh.

Yeah the monsters are pretty weak for combat (unless you're a druid), but you do get other combat options like glitterdust, acid arrow, orb spells, and black tentacles. Plus you can attack people with summons while staying invisible. Can't do that with most of the other schools.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-09, 10:03 AM
In real life, I'd have to say Transmutation. I wouldn't want to manipulate people's minds in real life but flying, shape-changing, seeing in the dark, breathing water, controlling the weather. That stuff would be cool!

Agreed (very, very much so because I reeeeeeeeally want to be able to fly), but I'm currently struggling to pay my rent so Dominate Person on my landlady would be damn helpful at the moment.

Yora
2009-08-09, 10:07 AM
Yeah the monsters are pretty weak for combat (unless you're a druid), but you do get other combat options like glitterdust, acid arrow, orb spells, and black tentacles. Plus you can attack people with summons while staying invisible. Can't do that with most of the other schools.

Yesm you can. But I don't have fun with this. Which is what this thread is about. :smallbiggrin:

waterpenguin43
2009-08-09, 10:09 AM
Yeah the monsters are pretty weak for combat (unless you're a druid), but you do get other combat options like glitterdust, acid arrow, orb spells, and black tentacles.

Not to mention BlackWATER tentacles if you own Stormwrack (Best 5th level spell.... EVER!!)

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-09, 10:36 AM
My favourite school is probably Conjuration due to it including healing magic, but Transmutation is a close second due to how I'd love to be able to polymorph myself in real life.

My least favourite school is probably Evocation because I'm not a fan of the idea of blasting stuff.

waterpenguin43
2009-08-09, 10:40 AM
Agreed (very, very much so because I reeeeeeeeally want to be able to fly), but I'm currently struggling to pay my rent so Dominate Person on my landlady would be damn helpful at the moment.

I would like divination and conjuration as I earlier stated, conjuration for the healing, creating and teleporting and divination for two words: Locate Object!!!

Shadowbane
2009-08-09, 10:51 AM
If it was real life? Enchantment would be my favorite.

In game, it's a tie between Necromancy and Evocation. Dead things and blowing stuff up. Yes, I know evokers are supposed to be sub-par but I still love 'em.

Least favorite? Hmm. Probably abjuration and divination. They seem sorta boring to me for some reason.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-09, 11:02 AM

In game, it's a tie between Necromancy and Evocation. Dead things and blowing stuff up. Yes, I know evokers are supposed to be sub-par but I still love 'em.

Least favorite? Hmm. Probably abjuration and divination. They seem sorta boring to me for some reason.

Probably because your favourite is Evocation.

waterpenguin43
2009-08-09, 11:07 AM

I'll gve you're vote to enchantment, I guess.

PId6
2009-08-09, 11:20 AM
Hmm, Enchantment isn't getting a lot of love for some reason. Mind control, why not? Still, my favorite is probably Illusion, just for the awesome image spells. So much fun and versatility...

Least favorite? Well, Evocation is crappy, but it has its moments. Possibly Abjuration, since protection spells is a bit uninteresting, but Abjuration has some really fun spells like Maw of Chaos and Prismatic Sphere. I guess I'll have to go with Divination. Who needs to know when you can mind control!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-09, 11:24 AM
Hmm, Enchantment isn't getting a lot of love for some reason. Mind control, why not? For some people, mind control is the issue. Eliminating free will is a lot harder to morally justify IMO than just killing them.

PId6
2009-08-09, 11:30 AM
For some people, mind control is the issue. Eliminating free will is a lot harder to morally justify IMO than just killing them.
I fail to see the merit of that argument. At worst, you can make a claim that controlling someone's mind is destroying "who they are", which would be as bad as killing them. And that's only if you're using something like Mindrape which permanently changes them. But really, how can it be worse?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-09, 11:39 AM
I fail to see the merit of that argument. At worst, you can make a claim that controlling someone's mind is destroying "who they are", which would be as bad as killing them. And that's only if you're using something like Mindrape which permanently changes them. But really, how can it be worse?There are 2 different types of Enchantment with 2 different arguments:
Temporary(Dominate etc): You are taking someone and making them obey your every command for as long as you wish, putting themselves at risk, and you've eliminated their ability to even object to the treatment. It's like slavery, but worse. A lot of people, myself included, would rather die than lose control of our very thoughts.
Permanent(Mindrape etc): You are eliminating someone's mind and replacing it with something of your choosing. The person who you did this to would be for all practical purposes dead, except that in D&D dead people still exist. The target of your spell does not. You destroy them to a degree that Disintegrate doesn't even come close to. They have ceased to exist.

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 12:21 PM
Permanent(Mindrape etc): You are eliminating someone's mind and replacing it with something of your choosing. The person who you did this to would be for all practical purposes dead, except that in D&D dead people still exist. The target of your spell does not. You destroy them to a degree that Disintegrate doesn't even come close to. They have ceased to exist.

Man I've ot to get me The Book of Vile Darkness.

PId6
2009-08-09, 03:20 PM
There are 2 different types of Enchantment with 2 different arguments:
Temporary(Dominate etc): You are taking someone and making them obey your every command for as long as you wish, putting themselves at risk, and you've eliminated their ability to even object to the treatment. It's like slavery, but worse. A lot of people, myself included, would rather die than lose control of our very thoughts.
Slavery is not worse than murder. Depending on the severity of the slavery, it may be as bad, but it is not worse. Being mentally dominated is akin to being kidnapped or imprisoned while somebody uses your body as a tool. Rationally, being dominated is less severe than death, because domination is much less permanent than death, even in a world where resurrection is possible. The only thing special about domination is that the enchanter receives an additional tool/weapon from dominating you, not much different than if they stole your gun after murdering you. That alone does not raise it to a crime worse than murder.

Sure, emotionally we may think we'd "rather die" than be dominated, but emotionally, I'd "rather die" than be pushed into a pit full of feces; that doesn't mean pushing someone into a pit full of feces is a worse crime than killing them.

Even "permanent" enchantments aren't near as final as death. Changes to alignment by Mindrape can be fixed by a simple Break Enchantment, the casting of which costs a lot less than Raise Dead. The fact that it's so easily broken implies that it doesn't alter the "true state" of your soul and that such a spell loses effect once you die.

PumpkinJack
2009-08-09, 07:49 PM

Maybe you'd need Conjuration to create some "temporary cash" or Illusion to appears to be your neighbor whenever your landlady comes around or Evocation to burn down your house and collect insurance... :)

PumpkinJack
2009-08-09, 07:55 PM
Slavery is not worse than murder. Depending on the severity of the slavery, it may be as bad, but it is not worse. Being mentally dominated is akin to being kidnapped or imprisoned while somebody uses your body as a tool. Rationally, being dominated is less severe than death, because domination is much less permanent than death, even in a world where resurrection is possible. The only thing special about domination is that the enchanter receives an additional tool/weapon from dominating you, not much different than if they stole your gun after murdering you. That alone does not raise it to a crime worse than murder.

I have to agree. Enchantments aren't really worse than severe blackmail or brainwashing, both of which you can recover from. And the charm spells don't do worse than an attractive woman can do with a tight shirt and pants (and they never get arrested for that). :)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-09, 10:58 PM
Slavery is not worse than murder. Depending on the severity of the slavery, it may be as bad, but it is not worse. Being mentally dominated is akin to being kidnapped or imprisoned while somebody uses your body as a tool. Rationally, being dominated is less severe than death, because domination is much less permanent than death, even in a world where resurrection is possible. The only thing special about domination is that the enchanter receives an additional tool/weapon from dominating you, not much different than if they stole your gun after murdering you. That alone does not raise it to a crime worse than murder.D&D dominate falls under the "same as death" category IMHO. They lose all access to the world, forced to watch as you use their body to do whatever you want for as long as you want. Being able to do nothing but watch as the villain uses your body for whatever he wants is no better than being dead IMHO.
Even "permanent" enchantments aren't near as final as death. Changes to alignment by Mindrape can be fixed by a simple Break Enchantment, the casting of which costs a lot less than Raise Dead. The fact that it's so easily broken implies that it doesn't alter the "true state" of your soul and that such a spell loses effect once you die.Actually, it can't. It only works on non-dispellable spells if they're 5th level and lower. Mindrape destroys your victim forever. I don't recall, but I think even Wish doesn't work.
Sure, emotionally we may think we'd "rather die" than be dominated, but emotionally, I'd "rather die" than be pushed into a pit full of feces; that doesn't mean pushing someone into a pit full of feces is a worse crime than killing them.If someone put a gun to your head and told you to jump inot a pit of feces, would you? I've left orders with my family that if my options are 'brain damaged' or 'dead', pick dead. The brain is the only thing that makes one person different from another, the only thing that has allowed us to be different from apes. Change my mind, change my thoughts, and you've changed me. For the duration, I might as well not exist. Crimes against the body are nothing IMHO except for how they affect the mind.

PId6
2009-08-09, 11:14 PM
D&D dominate falls under the "same as death" category IMHO. They lose all access to the world, forced to watch as you use their body to do whatever you want for as long as you want. Being able to do nothing but watch as the villain uses your body for whatever he wants is no better than being dead IMHO.
You lose access for as long as someone renews your domination and as long as you're not dispelled of it. It's no different from imprisonment except that your jailer also receives a weapon in the form of your body. And you're saying that it's "no better than being dead," which is very different from saying that it's worse than death. I can see that a long term total imprisonment can be not very different from death, but it cannot be worse.

Actually, it can't. It only works on non-dispellable spells if they're 5th level and lower. Mindrape destroys your victim forever. I don't recall, but I think even Wish doesn't work.
Actually, it can. It's specifically written into Mindrape that "Severe changes to personality and changes to alignment can be corrected by a Break Enchantment spell" and "Alterations to memories and subtler thoughts can be restored only through use of a miracle or wish."

If someone put a gun to your head and told you to jump inot a pit of feces, would you? I've left orders with my family that if my options are 'brain damaged' or 'dead', pick dead. The brain is the only thing that makes one person different from another, the only thing that has allowed us to be different from apes. Change my mind, change my thoughts, and you've changed me. For the duration, I might as well not exist. Crimes against the body are nothing IMHO except for how they affect the mind.
If someone is severely brain damaged like that, it is likely that they have absolutely no chance of being restored to their former selves. That is not at all the case with temporary domination like from Dominate Person, and is even not the case with Mindrape. And I could follow this up with the same logic: if someone came to you saying "I'll kill you unless you let me kidnap you for a few days while I get access to your gun," would you really rather die?