PDA

View Full Version : Will V's Class Feature become an actual character?

Thanatosia
2009-08-08, 08:33 PM
The latest strip seems to imply that V's Class Feature has more of a personality then we previous assumed, and is actually talking like a person.... think we'll see more of this in the strips to come?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-08, 08:36 PM
Yes. I think we will actually.

Haggis
2009-08-08, 08:36 PM
I doubt he get full screen time, but after this I can see him spending more time with the order and maybe some lines.

I think the real question is how he and mr. scruffy will get along.

JaxGaret
2009-08-08, 09:15 PM

I'm speculating that it will be about as well as Belkar and V do.

Boaromir
2009-08-08, 09:40 PM
He'll probably end up with more face time than Durkon. Oh snap.

factotum
2009-08-09, 12:40 AM
According to the rules Blackwing would have an Int of 12 (assuming V is 14th level), so I certainly always expected him to have a personality. Besides, we've seen him show signs of it before...way back when the team visited the Oracle for the first time, Blackwing actually asked a question (with his own little sack of money).

Herald Alberich
2009-08-09, 01:19 AM
I'm certainly hoping that, even if he doesn't appear in every panel, he'll be seen flying or riding on V's shoulder instead of just poofing in whenever his existence is remembered. That running gag can be officially abandoned now.

As to whether he'll become a regular speaking character in his own right, I think certainly he will in regards to V. What'll be interesting to see is whether he starts talking to everyone else, too.

S7ninja
2009-08-09, 02:53 AM
He might, actually.

I say its a good chance.

kpenguin
2009-08-09, 03:52 AM

Ravens are de-li-cious.

Optimystik
2009-08-09, 09:39 AM

This made me laugh and cry at the same time :smallfrown:

Bibliomancer
2009-08-09, 09:41 AM
According to the rules Blackwing would have an Int of 12 (assuming V is 14th level), so I certainly always expected him to have a personality. Besides, we've seen him show signs of it before...way back when the team visited the Oracle for the first time, Blackwing actually asked a question (with his own little sack of money).

This begs the question: Where did the Raven get that money? Blackwing didn't get it from V, given that V didn't remember that Blackwing existed at the time.

Assuming Blackwing does have an Int of 12, that makes him the 4th most intelligent member of the Order.

zyphyr
2009-08-09, 01:29 PM
I'm speculating that it will be about as well as Belkar and V do.

Both Scruffy and Blackwing are more sensible/reasonable than their humanoid companions, so I would expect a slightly better relationship - at least until the major problems are dealt with.

derfenrirwolv
2009-08-09, 01:32 PM
I think the running gag will return when Blackwing needs to disappear "forget about the raven.. forget about the raven..POP

Moriato
2009-08-09, 01:37 PM
Both Scruffy and Blackwing are more sensible/reasonable than their humanoid companions, so I would expect a slightly better relationship - at least until the major problems are dealt with.

Perhaps they'll be able to express the feelings for each other that Belkar and V deny, and we'll wind up with a tressym

Cleverdan22
2009-08-09, 01:47 PM
I think that yeah, he'll be in the party from now on. Which is cool.

Wonton
2009-08-09, 05:32 PM
Assuming Blackwing does have an Int of 12, that makes him the 4th most intelligent member of the Order.

Nah, 5th. Roy, Haley, V, and Durkon are all obviously higher than 12.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-09, 05:44 PM
The latest strip seems to imply that V's Class Feature has more of a personality then we previous assumed, and is actually talking like a person.... think we'll see more of this in the strips to come?

Yeah, probably.

Omergideon
2009-08-09, 06:38 PM
I see blackwing becoming as much a character as Mr Scruffy. Not aways relevant but usually around in the background somewhere.

Nimrod's Son
2009-08-09, 08:22 PM
I think the running gag will return when Blackwing needs to disappear "forget about the raven.. forget about the raven..POP
Because, as we all know, the best way to forget about something is to constantly recite a mantra about it. :smallwink:

Laketh Stadt
2009-08-09, 08:48 PM
I can actually picture BW and Scruffy huddled in the corner somewhere making side bets on Belkar reading the next explosive runes.

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 08:50 PM
Nah, 5th. Roy, Haley, V, and Durkon are all obviously higher than 12.

I fail to see anything that would point to Haley or Durkon having above average intellect.

Kish
2009-08-09, 09:02 PM
I fail to see anything that would point to Haley or Durkon having above average intellect.
In power-gamer terms, Intelligence is classically the second ability score for a rogue to focus on, after Dexterity (and some power-gamers swear by builds which put Intelligence first). However, Charisma occupies the same position for clerics, and we know Durkon has a Charisma penalty. However again...Haley has to have an Intelligence of at least 12 to have any bonus languages, and Elan said she has more than he does.

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 09:11 PM
In power-gamer terms, Intelligence is classically the second ability score for a rogue to focus on, after Dexterity (and some power-gamers swear by builds which put Intelligence first). However, Charisma occupies the same position for clerics, and we know Durkon has a Charisma penalty. However again...Haley has to have an Intelligence of at least 12 to have any bonus languages, and Elan said she has more than he does.

Since when is the OotS optimized?:smallconfused: She doesn't neccesarily have to have bonus languages to know more languages you can spend skill points to learn a language. Also I don't see how Durkon having a Charisma penalty means he has a bonus to Intelligence after all he does a fair bit of Melee I would say Strength and Constitution would have higher priority.

Kish
2009-08-09, 09:16 PM
She doesn't neccesarily have to have bonus languages to know more languages

Elan didn't say, "I know you know more languages than me." As I said, he said, "I know you have more Bonus Languages than me."

Also I don't see how Durkon having a Charisma penalty means he has a bonus to Intelligence
Me either.

after all he does a fair bit of Melee I would say Strength and Constitution would have higher priority.
Didn't you just suggest no one in the Order optimized at all, such that Haley's class use for Intelligence was irrelevant?

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 09:34 PM
Elan didn't say, "I know you know more languages than me." As I said, he said, "I know you have more Bonus Languages than me."
Okay I didn't catch that.

Me either. But your post said he had higher then 12 Int and that was your only arguement for him :smallconfused:

Didn't you just suggest no one in the Order optimized at all, such that Haley's class use for Intelligence was irrelevant? That isn't what I said and there is a difference between optimizing and knowing good Str and Con are helpful for melee.

Axl_Rose
2009-08-09, 09:41 PM

lol, good one. :smalltongue:

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 09:41 PM
I would also like to present this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html) as evidence Durkon's Int isn't 12+

Kish
2009-08-09, 09:52 PM
But your post said he had higher then 12 Int

If you can quote me saying that, by all means, do. I promise, I haven't edited such an assertion out of anywhere it was.

That isn't what I said and there is a difference between optimizing and knowing good Str and Con are helpful for melee.
Is there a difference in OotS between knowing Intelligence is helpful for rogue skills and knowing good Strength and Constitution are helpful for melee? Such that one is "optimizing" in some way that makes it something Haley wouldn't have done, and the other is "not optimizing" in some way that makes it something Durkon would have done?

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 10:01 PM
If you can quote me saying that, by all means, do. I promise, I haven't edited such an assertion out of anywhere it was.
Sorry, I thought you were the person I originally quoted.

Is there a difference in OotS between knowing Intelligence is helpful for rogue skills and knowing good Strength and Constitution are helpful for melee? Such that one is "optimizing" in some way that makes it something Haley wouldn't have done, and the other is "not optimizing" in some way that makes it something Durkon would have done?

You convinced me on Haley having Int 12+ already but I will try and explain my reasoning on this anyway. Intelligence is a good stat for a rogue but Con is equally important and Strength can be very helpful so there were other good choices for high abilities.

Kish
2009-08-09, 10:04 PM
Haley's a bow rogue who, quote unquote, doesn't do melee, and didn't carry a melee weapon until she stole one from Crystal. I think we can take Strength off the table for her stat priorities.

Sanguine
2009-08-09, 10:23 PM
Haley's a bow rogue who, quote unquote, doesn't do melee, and didn't carry a melee weapon until she stole one from Crystal. I think we can take Strength off the table for her stat priorities.

Two Words: Composite Bow

David Argall
2009-08-11, 01:41 AM
Blackwing is unlikely to get much in the way of lines, and may well vanish for the next hundred strips or more. We have a pretty minimalist art style here. So if something doesn't need to be drawn in, it won't be.
Blackwing needed to be shown for telling V about the rift. From now on, until the next plot point, he is not needed and will stay out of sight.