PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class, the Land of Alvia] The Marksman

PumpkinEater
2009-08-08, 10:02 PM
The Marksman

Hit Dice: d8
Weapon Proficiencies: Marksmen are proficient with basic weapons and any of the two following weapon groups: Bows, Crossbows, Gunpowder Weapons, and Slings. Marksmen are also proficient with one other weapon group.
Armor Proficiencies: Marksmen are proficient with light armor.
Skill Points: 4 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)
Class Skills: Nine + Intelligence modifier + Craft, Hide, and Spot

Table: The Marksman
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Mark +1d6, Sniping

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Called Shot

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Careful Shot

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sharpshooting, Mark +2d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Improved Sniping

6th|
+6 / +1|
+2|
+5|
+2|
---

7th|
+7 / +2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Mark +3d6

8th|
+8 / +3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Dead Eye

9th|
+9 / +4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Close-Combat Shooting

10th|
+10 / +5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Greater Sharpshooting, Mark +4d6

11th|
+11 / +6 / +1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Rapid Marking

12th|
+12 / +7 / +2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Bull's Eye

13th|
+13 / +8 / +3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Mark +5d6

14th|
+14 / +9 / +4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Precision

15th|
+15 / +10 / +5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Greater Sniping

16th|
+16 / +11 / +6 / +1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Mark +6d6

17th|
+17 / +12 / +7 / +2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Greater Called Shot

18th|
+18 / + 13 / +8 / +3|
+6|
+11|
+6|
---

19th|
+19 / +14 / +9 / +4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Mark +7d6

20th|
+20 / +15 / +10 / +5|
+6|
+12|
+6|
---[/table]

Mark At 1st level, marksmen are able to make shots with deadly precision. By spending a full-round action, a marksman deals an additional 1d6 damage to any living they hit. This ability has no effect on creatures that are immune to either critical hits or sneak attacks, and can only be used with a weapon that has a range increment. This damage improves by 1d6 every 3 levels. This damage is not multiplied in the result of a critical hit.

Sniping Marksmen are able to make shots at amazing distances while still retaining their accuracy. Whenever a marksman uses the Mark ability, the range increment for their weapon is doubled.

Called Shot At 2nd level, marksmen are able to make accurate shots at a target’s vital organs. By taking a penalty on all ranged attack rolls made during one round, marksmen receive an equal bonus on all ranged damage rolls until the start their next turn. Marksmen cannot take a penalty greater than their base attack bonus.

Careful Shot At 3rd level, whenever a marksman uses the Mark ability, the marksman receives a +1 bonus to the attack roll.

Sharpshooting Marksmen are capable of finding that one chink in a villain’s otherwise perfect armor. By spending a round to make a spot check versus a target’s flat-footed AC, they are able to successfully ignore that target’s DR whenever they use the Mark ability on that target for the remainder of combat.

Improved Sniping Whenever a marksman would use their Mark ability, they add half of their wisdom modifier (rounded up) to the damage roll.

Dead Eye A marksman adds half his or her wisdom modifier (rounded up) to all ranged attack rolls.

Close-Combat Shooting Experienced marksmen are capable of firing while in melee range at lesser risk than usual. A marksman receives a +4 dodge bonus to AC against all attack s of opportunity made against the marksman when he or she attacks with a ranged weapon.

Greater Sharpshooting At 10th level, whenever a marksman hits a target with their Mark ability, the target must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + marksman’s wisdom and dexterity modifiers) or take 1 point of strength damage.

Rapid Marking Only experienced marksmen are capable of firing precisely and rapidly at the same time. At level 11, a Marksman can perform the Mark ability as a standard action.

Bull’s Eye Whenever a marksman strikes a target with the Mark ability, the target begins to bleed. Each wound caused in this manner causes the victim to take 1 point of damage per round. The bleeding does not stop until the victim receives the benefit of a DC 15 Heal check, or from some form of magical healing. This ability has no effect on creatures with no constitution score.

Precision A marksman increases the critical multiplier of any ranged weaponry they use by 1.

Greater Sniping Whenever a marksman uses their Mark ability, they add half of his or her wisdom modifier (rounded up) to the attack roll.

Greater Called Shot At 17th level, a marksman can take a -2 penalty on both attack rolls and a -2 penalty on damage rolls with a ranged weapon to increase that weapon's threat range by 1. This effect lasts until the beginning of the marksman's next turn.

Comments? I'm pretty sure this is overpowered. Haha.

Siosilvar
2009-08-08, 10:04 PM
Comments? I'm pretty sure this is overpowered. Haha.

Not really, but I'd make Bulls-eye only work when used with Mark and throw in an ability somewhere to use Mark as a standard action.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-08, 10:06 PM
Not really, but I'd make Bulls-eye only work when used with Mark and throw in an ability somewhere to use Mark as a standard action.

Crap. I meant to do both things. Haha, thanks for pointing that out.

Siosilvar
2009-08-08, 10:09 PM
Ha, great minds, eh? :smallamused:

Origomar
2009-08-09, 12:49 AM
Honestly its not that overpowered compared to another archer long range based class i saw a while ago, it looks pretty good but i would add some fluff into the dead levels. like something called "aim for the head" where you automatically critical if you hit them but you take a penalty to hit, or something similar or just fluff:smallbiggrin:. other than that it looks pretty good.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-09, 01:40 AM
Honestly its not that overpowered compared to another archer long range based class i saw a while ago, it looks pretty good but i would add some fluff into the dead levels. like something called "aim for the head" where you automatically critical if you hit them but you take a penalty to hit, or something similar or just fluff:smallbiggrin:. other than that it looks pretty good.

Ahh... but it's not overpowered COMPARED to an overpowered class! ... wait, nevermind.

Sweet! It's not overpowered. I'll see what I can do about the dead levels.

EDIT: Added in Careful Shot and Precision. Does it look a little better? I'm trying to figure out about what to do with the critical thing. I'll probably call it Improved Called Shot. -2 attack and -2 damage to increase threat range by 1?

Origomar
2009-08-09, 02:28 AM
Ahh... but it's not overpowered COMPARED to an overpowered class! ... wait, nevermind.

Sweet! It's not overpowered. I'll see what I can do about the dead levels.

EDIT: Added in Careful Shot and Precision. Does it look a little better? I'm trying to figure out about what to do with the critical thing. I'll probably call it Improved Called Shot. -2 attack and -2 damage to increase threat range by 1?

it does look better and as i said before you dont have to use the idea it was just a suggestion for decreasing dead levels. I would also add that it cant go past your BAB(like power attack). That way people dont abuse it do -10000000 to hit, eventually roll a natural 20 and one shot the thing lol.

Renrik
2009-08-09, 03:32 AM
I think mark is more useful than sneak attack on account of being able to do so at any time, as opposed to the conditions for sneak attacking. But, it is a full round action...

I don;t think it's overpowered.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-09, 01:09 PM
it does look better and as i said before you dont have to use the idea it was just a suggestion for decreasing dead levels. I would also add that it cant go past your BAB(like power attack). That way people dont abuse it do -10000000 to hit, eventually roll a natural 20 and one shot the thing lol.

Haha, it'd be a critical, not instant-death. But I forgot about capping it at BAB, soooo... let's go fix that. And I'll go fix Mark up a bit so that it'll state that the damage is not multiplied with the result of a critical hit.

Cieyrin
2009-08-10, 01:25 PM
A good capstone ability at 20th would do much for this class. A strong death attack mechanic would certainly fit the bill for this sniper class. DC 20+Dex or Wis mod would probably be appropriate.

Also, this class is MAD as hell. Dex, Int, Wis, Str if you use bows and Con is good for all, though perhaps not necessarily a key ability, since it's a ranged class and all. Still, 3 to 4 ability scores to consider is quite a bit, especially since the mechanics in question for Int and Wis apply half the stat mod to them. so to get any benefit you'd need at least a 14 in both. It may be better to cut out either Int or Wis, though I'd probably remove Int, since Spot is keyed off of Wis, anyways, which makes sense, I'd say.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

DracoDei
2009-08-10, 02:04 PM
I find the concept of letting them pick class skills odd. Is that out of Pathfinder or something? In any case 12 PLUS more for intellegence PLUS statics seems a bit too much even for for a class with 6+Int Mod per level.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 10:09 PM
I find the concept of letting them pick class skills odd. Is that out of Pathfinder or something? In any case 12 PLUS more for intellegence PLUS statics seems a bit too much even for for a class with 6+Int Mod per level.

Hmm... I'm not sure what Pathfinder is, but it's just an idea I had. You pick your class skills at 1st level, and they never change, and you don't gain more (with the exception of the Class Skill feat, which allows you to pick another Class Skill).

DracoDei
2009-08-10, 10:19 PM
Yeah, well, 12+Int Mod+3 is almost certainly too many. I think there are other problems with the idea (for instance everyone will take UMD), but if you are going to try it out...

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 10:24 PM
Yeah, well, 12+Int Mod+3 is almost certainly too many. I think there are other problems with the idea (for instance everyone will take UMD), but if you are going to try it out...

Well, I can see that as a problem, although the setting a designed this class for is a low-magic campaign. Scrolls and wands will certainly be quite scarce anyhow. I'll lower it to ten, though, and I'll probably set some guidelines for myself to determine the number of class skills that can be selected at 1st level, instead of just going with what I feel like, haha.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-11, 12:56 AM
A good capstone ability at 20th would do much for this class. A strong death attack mechanic would certainly fit the bill for this sniper class. DC 20+Dex or Wis mod would probably be appropriate.

Also, this class is MAD as hell. Dex, Int, Wis, Str if you use bows and Con is good for all, though perhaps not necessarily a key ability, since it's a ranged class and all. Still, 3 to 4 ability scores to consider is quite a bit, especially since the mechanics in question for Int and Wis apply half the stat mod to them. so to get any benefit you'd need at least a 14 in both. It may be better to cut out either Int or Wis, though I'd probably remove Int, since Spot is keyed off of Wis, anyways, which makes sense, I'd say.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Okay, reduced the MAD a bit by removing Intelligence.

Also dropped skill points to 4/level, and number of class skills reduced to 9.