PDA

View Full Version : Recaster help

quick_comment
2009-08-09, 01:53 AM
I have a character about to take the 5th level of recaster (races of eberron).

It lets you change spell areas amongst various groups. For instance, it could change an AMF to a 15ft cone, 10ft radius cylinder, 30ft line, or 5, 10 or 15 foot sphere.

How would it work if I shaped the AMF to a 15ft cone. Can I move the cone around? Is it fixed after I make it? Can I control it when it isnt my turn?

Also, what are some good touch ranged spells I can transform into ranged touch spells? I usually ignore touch spells, but recaster lets me use them at range.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-09, 03:47 AM
I would assume that, because Antimagic Field is normally an emanation, that it would remain centered on you, even as a cone, based on spells that have a range of 0ft, like the flame dagger spell (SpC 94), which stays with you as you move.

As for touch spells, I can only really recommend Bestow Curse (and Greater), and maybe Vampiric Touch. Later, Irresistible Dance would also be good, assuming you face something not immune to enchantment.

Talic
2009-08-09, 03:57 AM
I would assume that, because Antimagic Field is normally an emanation, that it would remain centered on you, even as a cone, based on spells that have a range of 0ft, like the flame dagger spell (SpC 94), which stays with you as you move.

As for touch spells, I can only really recommend Bestow Curse (and Greater), and maybe Vampiric Touch. Later, Irresistible Dance would also be good, assuming you face something not immune to enchantment.

I'd assume that it wouldn't affect you, however, as Cone of Cold and other cone spells do not damage the caster.

daggaz
2009-08-09, 04:18 AM
Yeah I would DM it just like a beholder's AMF ray. You can swing it around as long as it is active, much like a flashlight, and no, of course it doesnt affect you. Cones never affect the caster at the point of their origin- as an area of affect they cannot work at that spot because a point, by definition, has no area. But you dont have to bring math into it, just use common sense..