PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to Listen to

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-16, 08:46 PM
'Got any songs or CD's that just suck so much they aren't worth the cost? Or half the cost? Or even a penny? Post them here!

I dont really listen to music, but I HATE rap. Rap, just, sucks.

Crutsveldt_Jakob_D
2006-06-16, 09:03 PM
Rap does suck! :D

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-16, 09:47 PM
I've got an internalized hatred of emo, as well as the male falsetto when used in ANY way other than a Queen-esque harmonized thing.

Naturally, The Darkness are my mortal enemies.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-16, 09:49 PM
Strangely, I have yet to listen to any genre of music I hate.

I've hated plenty of artists though. Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC...Jessica Simpson...ugh...

Excuse me while I go curl up in the corner and weep now.

Ego Slayer
2006-06-16, 09:51 PM
I've got an internalized hatred of emo, as well as the male falsetto when used in ANY way other than a Queen-esque harmonized thing.

Naturally, The Darkness are my mortal enemies.

What bands do you consider "emo". I think a bunch have gotten mislabled due to an emo kid listening to them. I'm NOT emo and I listen to bands that supposedly get labed so and then other people judge me on that. It's annoying.

Tom_Violence
2006-06-16, 10:42 PM
The only music I find that I consistently dislike is the stuff that, if it wasn't for its hype, I never ever would've even heard of. This obviously has lead to me generally avoiding music press in general and rather just going by word of mouth. I have a lot of friends who, for some reason or another, have decided to devote a lot of their time to keeping abreast of new music, so I figure why I should bother doing any real research when I can just steal theirs?

TheHawk
2006-06-16, 10:49 PM
I don't like most rap or pop, however there are exeptions to both.

Spuddly
2006-06-16, 11:07 PM
The liberal media.

*cough*

What?

Ego Slayer
2006-06-16, 11:11 PM
I'm going to ignore that..

charik
2006-06-16, 11:15 PM
Disco. Rap at least has a few good songs.

But if I never hear You Can Ring My Bell ever again, it will be 10 000 times too soon. >:(

Spuddly
2006-06-16, 11:20 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1150360857

Oooh, burn.

Hey wait, you posted in that thread Spuddly.

Yeah, I did, ****er. You got a lot of class pulling a stunt like that, huh?

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-16, 11:34 PM
What bands do you consider "emo". I think a bunch have gotten mislabled due to an emo kid listening to them. I'm NOT emo and I listen to bands that supposedly get labed so and then other people judge me on that. It's annoying.

You know, I don't think I could accurately describe it, as it pulls influences from a lot of other styles of music and rarely has anything distinct to offer as its own genre. There IS, however, the "emo voice"-type vocals, which are high-pitched male vocals sung with gobs of emotion and feeling but absolutely no style or care to how it sounds, and along with the unprofessional male falsetto that rings very high in my "stab it till its gone" music irritation.

So, unless you go around claiming yourself emo and being annoying with it, I generally don't care. If you need easy labels, I'm goth and I run with it, hiya.

For some other odd reason, I hate jazz, blues and soul. Hate hate hate. Every time I hear another insufferable mote of those tremendously irritating styles of music I go "GHRJK" and have to either remove it or flee. It's a compulsion.

Beleriphon
2006-06-17, 10:42 AM
Modern hiphop/rap. Some of the older stuff from Run DMC is kind of fun.

Otherwise, I just can't stand most modern pop music.

Can't stand 60's folk music. It drives me nuts, disco is tossed in as well. For some reason though I don't mind Abba, at least in general.

DEMONhunter
2006-06-17, 11:15 AM
All rap. If I wanted to listen to people badly 'singing' out of time with music I'd attend the school choir.

Rykaj
2006-06-17, 11:38 AM
I avoid motown, disco, gothic rock and all the other black metal or whatchamacallit, most rap music, and après-ski music. The first two were actual attempts at music but I just dislike em, the others are just plain silly.

orcmonk89
2006-06-17, 11:51 AM
Rap. No two ways around it. Just... argh!!!!

Kontonshin
2006-06-17, 02:52 PM
Crunk. Unless you're a hillbilly, in which case it's de rigeur.

Oh, and gabber. Worst... techno... subgenre... EVER.

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-17, 03:47 PM
Rap. especially Eminem

And evinescence. Thanks to someone's speaking presentation in my English class I now hate Evinescence. You just want to slap her and shout 'CHEER UP!!!'. Although Amy Lee is pretty nice....

Idiotbox90
2006-06-17, 04:29 PM
Country, music played at weddings, and music played at sports games are hatreds of mine.

Samiam303
2006-06-17, 04:59 PM
What bands do you consider "emo". I think a bunch have gotten mislabled due to an emo kid listening to them.

People get labled by what bands they listen to, not the other way around...

other people judge me on that. It's annoying.

Other people being me? ;) :P

InaVegt
2006-06-17, 05:00 PM
There is only one kind of music that's crap, anything created in the 20th century or later

Don Beegles
2006-06-17, 05:38 PM
I'll listen to just about anything, I'm not too picky. I do hate almost all rap, most pop, and probably about 85% of the non-Rap or Pop songs written in the last 3-4 years, most of which could be considered "emo".

RoboticSheeple
2006-06-17, 06:00 PM
Spuddly & Flamebait :P

Otherwise I honestly would recomend that people take care if listening to Bright Eyes, a lot of their stuff is pretty dismal.

I'm not going to put in sweeping genera things here because that's just pointless.

Ego Slayer
2006-06-17, 06:53 PM
Other people being me? ;) :P
No,.. well yes but also Brett.

People get labled by what bands they listen to, not the other way around...

Than how do the bands that arne't emo get labed so? Hawthorn Heights is one of them. Some emo liked "Ohio is for lovers" so the whole band ended up emo.

Rap. especially Eminem

And evinescence. Thanks to someone's speaking presentation in my English class I now hate Evinescence. You just want to slap her and shout 'CHEER UP!!!'. Although Amy Lee is pretty nice....

Noo.. Evanescence is good. Any Lee isn't even depressed. I think they're really good. I've heard their live CD.. so good.

Tiferet
2006-06-17, 07:22 PM
I can't stand rap music, and I'm not a big fan of country. Other than that, I'll listen to just about anything.

Jack Squat
2006-06-17, 07:51 PM
"Just sit right back and you'll here a tale, a tale of a fateful trip..." :P

Nasrudith
2006-06-18, 12:49 AM
Any rap music, I hate it. Also any music blasted at loud volumes.

alec
2006-06-18, 03:30 AM
I hate rap. In a similar vein, I hate hip-hop (I understand there is some difference) and techno.
Also, I hate any music where you can't understand any of the lyrics first time around.

GeeVee
2006-06-18, 06:24 AM
Gangsta rap is without a doubt the worst "music" genre ever made. 50 Cent should be shot. Again. With silver bullets.
Country is incredibly boring music.
Any metal with a lot of screaming. Black metal, death metal, black death metal, bird flu metal, whatever. It's all pure ****.
Emo sucks. 'Nuff said.
Electronica and techno can get very, very bad, but it's not all horrible.

Eric Clapton's "Back Home" tops the list of my least favorite CD. This is the same Eric Clapton that was in Cream?

bosssmiley
2006-06-18, 06:26 AM
"Savage Garden". >:(

Listening to that 'band' causes the male generative organ to shrivel up and drop off in 100% of cases. We should just nuke Australia for inflicting them on the world.

Jimmy Hendrix is dead, but the guys in Savage Garden still live; where is your god now?! :'(

GeeVee
2006-06-18, 06:53 AM
Learn to spell Jimi Hendrix before you invoke His name.

bosssmiley
2006-06-18, 07:44 AM
*thunk* justifiably stabbityied by an enraged, rock-loving Tonberry. Never saw my life ending like this...I regret nothing! ;D

Goff
2006-06-18, 07:46 AM
Learn to spell Jimi Hendrix before you invoke His name.
Actually, his name was James Marshall Hendrix...

...if you want to get all technical like.

Hoseki
2006-06-18, 10:01 AM
I loath rap. And country. And pop.

And Leon Redbone.

LordOfXoriat
2006-06-18, 10:23 AM
-edit_deleted-

Jack Squat
2006-06-18, 10:39 AM
"Savage Garden". >:(

Listening to that 'band' causes the male generative organ to shrivel up and drop off in 100% of cases. We should just nuke Australia for inflicting them on the world.

Jimmy Hendrix is dead, but the guys in Savage Garden still live; where is your god now?! :'(

I'd rather listen to Savage Garden than half the "music" produced today, but that's more of a lesser of two evils sort of thing. besides, they're more of a late 80's pop band than a strange 90's alternative rock band.

Tom_Violence
2006-06-18, 11:00 AM
There is only one kind of music that's crap, anything created in the 20th century or later

Sounds like someone was born about 100 yrs too late. :P Then again that may always be true regardless, if you're making statements like that.

Goff
2006-06-18, 11:18 AM
I think you can safely assume that there has been some utter tripe produced in the ninteenth century and earlier, however, crap music lacks the staying power of its better contemporaries. Good music stands the test of time, therefore it seems like in the past the music was better, when in fact there was just as much crap as today, it just got filtered out of history. That's my opinion anyhow.

Last_resort_33
2006-06-18, 01:57 PM
It applies on a shorter time scale as well. people still go to Motorhead concerts 30 years on... not as a nostalgia thing, they never stopped producing records, people never STOPPED listening to them and they Ain't gunna stop until Lemmy dies a bloody, liver exploding death.

Whereas apart from 70s Cheese pop, not much of the rubbish is left from the 70s to tourment good people on a daily basis.

oh yeah.. and 50 cent should be shot yet again

InaVegt
2006-06-18, 02:00 PM
Sounds like someone was born about 100 yrs too late. :P Then again that may always be true regardless, if you're making statements like that.
I'm born in the year 1328 our lord, and I know bad music existed before that, but it was not the crap like the music of this age.

RedMage
2006-06-18, 02:57 PM
This is amazing. No one has mentioned Crazy Frog

Tom_Violence
2006-06-18, 03:30 PM
I'm born in the year 1328 our lord, and I know bad music existed before that, but it was not the crap like the music of this age.

Its probably largely due to the fact that you're exposed to an awful lot more music these days than you were back then. Hence, there's more crap. As to whether or not its actually a larger percentage, I don't think anyone can say.

But anyway, its pretty easy for me to say that all my favourite artists have existed in the last 100 years. :P To borrow a line from the great Lou Reed - here's to everyone who's life was saved by rock and roll!

Dudukain
2006-06-18, 10:51 PM
Darn, someone beat me to rap.

The only other thing I can think of is "toxic" by Britney Spears. That is the most vile song ever concieved of, especially with the awful screeching of a thousand dead souls or whatever that sound is.

Also, Eminem should be prosecuted for causing a bunch of idiot fourth graders to begin screaming "Just lose it AAUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

yup, I hate that song.

Oh yes, Insane Clown Posse. I've never heard their music, but I hate them unconditionally due to their name.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-06-19, 01:26 PM
hmm

panic! at the disco... theyre on the radio now. I dont really like them though its still a whole lot better then Tokyo Hotel. (someone is going to shoot me for that)

anyway, I do like some rap music, sometimes. Electro and Techno I can enjoy as well as rock or "emo" (whatever that is) or pop. It really just depends on the setting, the loudness and how hard I need to concentrate on something.

The louder spiecies of metal, techno, and industrial seem to aggrevate me, they really get on my nerves.

about "emo": (I thought it was a bird)
would any "emotional" music be considered emo? ie. is Radiohead emo? is Portishead? and if so wouldnt that be a little too broad for any gerne, almost like "Urban" or "Dance"

InaVegt
2006-06-19, 01:59 PM
This is amazing. No one has mentioned Crazy Frog
IIRC crazy frog is created in the 21st century and that's well into my category of crap.