PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E] Need help planning a campaign.

Thelas
2009-08-09, 10:29 AM
If you're one of my players, stay out. (don't think any of them read giantitp boards, but just in case...)

----------------------------

Now that's dealt with, read this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=846926). I'll wait.

As you might have guessed, I want to make an 'Evil Pelor' campaign. Preferably thinking of having one of the players play a Cleric of the actual Evil Pelor. For maximum effect, have all characters worship Pelor.
Before I go any further, PelorT refers to the Evil Pelor, PelorF refers to the False (good) Pelor.
Now, there are several problems.
- a. Since the player playing a cleric of PelorT is going to be Evil-aligned, detect evil could ruin stuff. And even if he has a permanent nondetection, what about when he has to raise dead part of the party, as the cleric?
- b. This is my first campaign 'from scratch', so I need help. Here's a few things I have so far.

Starting Level: 5th. [maybe 8th instead, suggestions?]
Domains for PelorT: Trickery, Law (if I make him LE), Evil, SunC (new domain, short for Sun - Corrupted: [Evil] spells that either seem like [Good] spells and/or are based off of Light.
Actually, that's just about all I've come up with.
Suggestions? Anything is welcome, including, for example:
- who the BBEG should be. they're not going to kill Pelor, after all
- around what level the campaign would end at given the BBEG that someone suggests
- Tips for resolving problems above
- Spells for the SunC domain
- Tricks to DM in situations like this (with the PelorT servant in the group)
- Around when they should find out about PelorT/PelorF. I'd say... start dropping clues at low levels, they'll probably have enough to figure it out at 13th level, be a bit more obvious around 15th level, and pretty much flat out tell them at 18th level.
- Whatever you think will help!

Thelas

AstralFire
2009-08-09, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure I understand why his alignment would matter when raising dead?

You could also give the Cleric a powerful artifact of good stolen from Heironeous or the good version of Cuthbert or something. Make it a minor artifact, so it's not very useful ( He wouldn't be able to wield a good aligned artifact anyway) - just strong enough to overpower his aura. Nondetection causes some issues, since it's no signal instead of a false signal - detect good if used by some happenstance could clue them in.

Thelas
2009-08-09, 10:44 AM
1. Why does alignment matter in raise dead? Here's why.

You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw. (emphasis mine)
And what information do they get about the person raising them?
Let's see... Name, Patron Deity, and Alignment. (That is the rule, right?)

2. Nice idea with the artifact, but doesn't he get smited... wait, that's NetHack.
In that case, very good idea. I'll probably use it. Maybe just make the artifact symbolic, but still gives off an aura.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-09, 12:00 PM
If you're one of my players, stay out. (don't think any of them read giantitp boards, but just in case...)

----------------------------

Now that's dealt with, read this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=846926). I'll wait.

As you might have guessed, I want to make an 'Evil Pelor' campaign. Preferably thinking of having one of the players play a Cleric of the actual Evil Pelor. For maximum effect, have all characters worship Pelor.
Before I go any further, PelorT refers to the Evil Pelor, PelorF refers to the False (good) Pelor.
Now, there are several problems.
- a. Since the player playing a cleric of PelorT is going to be Evil-aligned, detect evil could ruin stuff. And even if he has a permanent nondetection, what about when he has to raise dead part of the party, as the cleric?
- b. This is my first campaign 'from scratch', so I need help. Here's a few things I have so far.

Starting Level: 5th. [maybe 8th instead, suggestions?]
Domains for PelorT: Trickery, Law (if I make him LE), Evil, SunC (new domain, short for Sun - Corrupted: [Evil] spells that either seem like [Good] spells and/or are based off of Light.
Actually, that's just about all I've come up with.
Suggestions? Anything is welcome, including, for example:
- who the BBEG should be. they're not going to kill Pelor, after all
- around what level the campaign would end at given the BBEG that someone suggests
- Tips for resolving problems above
- Spells for the SunC domain
- Tricks to DM in situations like this (with the PelorT servant in the group)
- Around when they should find out about PelorT/PelorF. I'd say... start dropping clues at low levels, they'll probably have enough to figure it out at 13th level, be a bit more obvious around 15th level, and pretty much flat out tell them at 18th level.
- Whatever you think will help!

Thelas

You can give the PelorT cleric the undetectable alignment spell as part of his new domain. There is nor problem in raising undead, the list is not some kind of divine ID

Cleric: Arise John, follower of Pelor, of Lawful Good alignment
Pelor: Sorry, you'll have to be more specific
Cleric: He died this Wednesday...fighting orcs...he's a fighter...born 20 years ago next Tuesday...
Pelor: A little better...I still got 3 who fit...
Cleric: His body is right here in front of me!
Pelor: Oh THAT guy.

The main problem is that evil Pelor is THE campaign.

As you've said, the PCs can't solve the "problem" of evil Pelor.

And since one of the PCs is an evil Pelor cleric, once found out, obviously the party has to turn on him if the PCs main theme is to fight evil Pelor. In the meantime, for all these levels, the evil Pelor cleric is doing what with the party?

I would suggest that if evil Pelor or the church of evil Pelor or uncovering that pelor is Evil are the main themes of the campaign, that no player be a follower of evil Pelor.

If a player is to be a follower of evil Pelor, then let that be a sideline. You can still have the cleric of evil Pelor try to keep the secret. But once the secret is out, evil Pelor is just another aspect of the god. Just because Pelor is evil, does not mean that he has to be stopped or that evil Pelor is not also supporting the party in stopping the BBEG who/what is the campaigns antagonist.

Thelas
2009-08-09, 12:08 PM
No, I mean they have a choice whether or not to accept the Ressurection/Raise Dead/whatever. And they get told the name, deity, and alignment of the person raising them. (I think..)

Thelas

togapika
2009-08-09, 12:12 PM
Pretty sure there's a feat somewhere that makes you detect as an alignment other than what you are for the purposes of spells...

Thelas
2009-08-10, 04:17 PM
I haven't seen it... does anyone know where the feat is?
And does it work for that problem with ressurection? I'm pretty sure that pierces nondetection and all that, so...

Thelas

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 05:28 PM
I don't see anything in the resurrection entries about finding out who is trying to raise you. :smallconfused:

Lord Loss
2009-08-10, 06:34 PM
As for the feat, It's mask Of Gentility, from Exemplars of Evils. Makes you register as neutral, though...

Thelas
2009-08-11, 01:43 PM
I don't see anything in the resurrection entries about finding out who is trying to raise you. :smallconfused:

PHB 171. I don't think it's in the SRD after all, sorry.
It's listed next to Revivification against One's Will, right hand column.

Exemplars of Evil? I just got that book a few days ago, so I guess that's a good thing, thanks.

Thelas