PDA

View Full Version : Anime - Spring 2006 [Potential Spoilers]

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-06-11, 09:43 PM
I've been watching a great deal of anime lately, and it occurred to me that I probably wasn't the only one on this forum who was doing so. Who else has been watching this season (it's been pretty impressive - tons of shows, and several good ones - probably the best season overall in quite some time)?

In any case, here's what I've been watching, more or less in order of personal preference (the higher on the list, the more I like it).

1a. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Definitely the breakout hit of this season. It started with the wildly addictive end theme dance (parodied approx. 100,000 times already) and the wonderfully awful Episode 0, and continues to generate huge amounts of discussion and controversy. KyoAni's episode shuffling is kind of aggravating, but I'm waiting for the full run of the series before I pass final judgement. IMHO, the best overall series this season, and I absolutely love it. It's sort of like Evangelion in that regard - no one is sure exactly what's going on, and either you love it or you hate it. Well, hate most of it - everyone seems to like Asahina-san...

1b. Black Lagoon
I like this series for just about the exact opposite reasons I'm enjoying Haruhi so much. With Haruhi, I never know what to expect, and it always makes you think. It can also be remarkably subtle - you have to pay close attention. Not so with Black Lagoon. "Subtle" isn't anywhere in this show's vocabulary. But I like that there's at least one show this season where I can sit back, turn off my brain, and just enjoy the pretty violence and explosions. Oh, and of course, Revy. On a more objective scale, I'd say this one is the 4th or 5th best show of the season - the animation is fantastic, the characters are fun and manage to twist the cliches around just enough to be interesting (especially Rock, who is far from the usual spineless male lead/audience insert character) - but it's essentially a John Woo action film. Still, I love it. The opening is Engrish-tastic, but somehow perfect for the show.

2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
The second best show overall in the season (though I enjoy Black Lagoon more), IMHO. Also affectionaly referred to as "Killer Lolis." It's a very interesting series, and another one that really makes you think - it's essentially the same story retold several times with significant variations (is it a pov thing? alternate timelines?). Probably the best horror anime I've seen - it can really get to you. I personally think the silly "typical harem anime" scenes actually underscore the creepiness - normally innocent moments have an extremely disconcerting subtext in this show. I am, unfortunately, ridiculously far behind in the series, since I just haven't been in the mood for horror lately. Also not in the same league as either of the #1 choices when it comes to animation, but the opening is bloody fantastic - really sets you up for the creepiness of the show.

3. Ouran High School Host Club
The other Haruhi. This one is pure comedy fun, and parodies the conventions of numerous shoujo (and boy's love) anime in a wonderully amusing manner. It's more or less the same gags over and over, but somehow it stays extremely funny and outrageous. Not really great for marathoning, though.

4. Ergo Proxy
This show is a bit slow, but I really enjoy the sense of mystery it manages to convey. They're managed to reveal a great deal of information, but I'm still completely in the dark as to what's really going on - which is great, because this show is really a mystery show in a compelling and wonderfully realized post-apocalyptic dystopian world. I really like most the characters as well - not as much initially, but they've done an excellent job of developing their stories and personalities in such a way that they've drawn me in. Still needs more Real, though. The series has a lot of promise, and if it can deliver on it, it'll probably over take both #2 and #3 for me personally. On the other hand, it could end in a train wreck. Either way, I'm liking it so far.

5. Utawarerumono
Slow in parts, and fairly formulaic, but it has a really epic feel and a well realized fantasy world (sort of a pseudo-Medieval Japan). A fairly middle-of-the-road anime overall, but I'm enjoying it. Betrays its origins as an eroge from time to time.

6. Strawberry Panic!
Completely trashy, and terribly funny as a result (I wonder whether or not this is intentional). Horribly far behind in this one as well.

I was watching Simoun as well, but it felt like a Last Exile knock off with some not-particularly interesting yuri elements tacked on. Plus it was boring.

I'm too far behind in Tsubasa Chronicles to have anything like a useful opinion on it.

So, what are you watching this season?

InaVegt
2006-06-11, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately there isn't much anime on dutch television so I'm forced to lend it from a friend of mine who downloads it.

bluish_wolf
2006-06-11, 11:35 PM
I have been watching Kino no Tabi recently, since my brother insisted I should watch it. I was an interesting series, actually, and I'm glad I spent the time to watch it.

I'll have to watch Black Lagoon now, since you listed it so high on your list.

Well, anyway, here are a few of the more recent animé series that I have been watching in no particular order. Naturally, I won't include the ones you already posted.

-Today Class in 5-2. Quite possibly the best lolicon animé since Ichigo Mashimaro. Can't tell you that much about it, though, since I only saw one episode. It was funny, though. It's a good contrast to the killer lolis in Higarashi.

-The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo (Girl with the Azure Eyes). This series shows promise. That is, if you can stand the narrator who states the obvious and the subliminal advertising for Sony. (I'll never let you have my PSP!) Well, I have a good feeling about this one, anyway.

-Mushishi. I know, it's a 2005 series. It's still going, though! At least until the 19th of this month. Anyway, I suggest everyone watch Mushishi. It's a fascinating series with interesting characters.

-Yume Tskai (Dream Users) Once more, I only saw the first episode, so I can't tell you that much about this series. It does, however, have an interesting premise. Might be worth checking out.

Pagz
2006-06-12, 03:03 AM
Dont get much anime down here in australia, only what SBS has to offer "unless you have cable, then u have quite a few, ive been watching "Samuri Champloo", which is an awsom anime, but other than that, there isnt that much out.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is awsom, anyone who hasnt seen it needs to step back and re-evaluate there life right now

Hario
2006-06-12, 02:09 PM
Bah School rumble is the best show of the season, and last season, although SoSdan comes in 2nd

Akiosama
2006-06-12, 02:46 PM
Wow, I'm so behind. Last, I was watching Mahou Sensei Negima, Mai-HiME, MS Gundam Seed Destiny, Angel Heart, Tenjou Tenge, and Tsubasa Chronicle.

While I think they're all decent, only MS Gundam Seed Destiny made me go "I can't wait to see next week's episode." I wish it wasn't so.

Oh, wait, I'm wrong. Mai-HiME did the same. Go Bandai/Sunrise!

I've seen some of Mai-Otome, but I'm not liking that one as much as Mai-HiME... It's almost disappointing. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of 'alternate universe' type series, either. (Tenchi Muyou, anyone? Ugh.)

As for Tsubasa Chronicle, I'm sort of disappointed - not in the show itself, but that I let it slip off my radar. I need to get caught up (I'm two books behind on the Japanese manga release, and way behind on the anime). I thought what they were doing was good in the anime, but it didn't beat out MS Gundam Seed Destiny, for some reason. (And yeah, it's alternate universe stuff, but they were much more creative about it in Tsubasa, and the crossover with XXXHolic is great.)

Angel Heart looks good. The only problem I'm having with it is that the animation looks odd, after being used to the older animation used for City Hunter (Angel Heart is the sequel series to City Hunter) Sure, it's been ages since the original City Hunter release, but Saeba Ryou's character design looks different enough to irk me. Maybe it's because the manga (which is fantastic) was able to keep the same look from City Hunter to Angel Heart. But, they DID get most of the original City Hunter cast back for Angel Heart, so the anime feels right in that way. It is nice to hear Kamiya Akira on the screen again.

Did see a bit of Tenjou Tenge. Felt weird after reading the manga. It's way too toned down. I mean, I can understand that, since the manga is borderline adult material, but it seems weird to take a manga that's THAT racy and turn down the heat so significantly on it. Still, it has Hisakawa Aya in it, so I'll probably keep on watching it...

I do wish I could offer more input, but I haven't been watching much recently... which, for me, is rather odd.

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-06-12, 02:58 PM
I actually just saw My HiME myself (I love the title - it's apparently a five way pun, depending on what languages you speak) and enjoyed it immensely. Natsuki is probably my favorite character (my laptop's wall paper now features her). My-Otome, unfortunately, is generally considered something of a train-wreck and not nearly as good as its predecessor. :P

Personally, I'd rather see some sort of direct sequel to the original, or possibly a short series in the style of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. Speaking of Full Metal Panic!, I just recently saw that one as well, and I can definitely recommend it. It combines military mecha action/drama with high school romantic comedy and manages to do both very well.

Hario
2006-06-12, 03:02 PM
I also forgot Fate/Stay night is one of the best animes this season, hopefully they will show the other paths but it is unlikely ;)