PDA

View Full Version : So the D&D Gods have given you three spells...

Pages : 1 [2]

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 06:20 AM
Actually, PAO does reference mental stats, making it an 'exception' to the "As Polymorph, except as noted."

If it's ok with you, I'll pretend that's not true, because it makes me look like a moron.

Also why aren't you kneeling? Zod demands that you kneel!!!!!!!!

Jack_Simth
2009-08-11, 06:27 AM
Actually, PAO does reference mental stats, making it an 'exception' to the "As Polymorph, except as noted."
Intelligence only, though, unless the original didn't have Wisdom or Charisma to begin with. So Polymorph Any Object works fine for a Sorcerer (or Cleric, if they can get ahold of it) who wants to live forever, but not for the Wizard.

FlawedParadigm
2009-08-11, 07:34 AM
Hrrm. Given that sort of power, I'd see it as my goal to use it to the best of my ability to set the world right. That said, I don't see the purpose in everyone wanting Time Stop. It seems to me Teleport Through Time would be the the better option, since the former only allows for you to prepare for the immediate future, whereas the latter allows you to recover from all sorts of mistakes. Although being fair, the former is a lot better at preventing imminent death, which the latter can't fix, but with sufficient research as to where you're going in the past, and non-atrocious social skills, the majority of the world isn't too dangerous.

That said, I also need to get around. However, I don't require teleportation. Just no need to get there *that* fast. While convenient, I've only got three picks, so they need to be versatile. For similar reasons, while Shapechange is fun, Polymorph Any Object serves my purposes better. Also helps with fitting in if I'm doing any time hopping; not only can I become a bird or dragon or such if I need to fly, I can also arrive in mediaeval times and turn the first stick, rock, and shrub I come across into appropriate clothing/armour, a sword, and a horse. I don't technically need a horse - or can become one as desired - but if I want to fit in as a person, PAO serves well, in addition to making me materialisticly quite independant.

Lastly, since I'm looking to solve problems and have only mild skill in medicine, Heal seems like the logical final choice. With my first two spells in tandem, I can go anywhere with anything I need, but I still need a way to change things. I have my own little trove of knowledge and skills, but it seems that Heal is just so multi-purpose useful that it's too handy to pass up. Consider that with timehopping and curing any disease, depending on how time travel would work in the real world, I could theoretically prevent some diseases from ever spreading beyond one victim, if I can locate and cure the original carrier. Admittedly, a spell that gave a giant bonus to skill checks could potentially help me locate said carrier and possibly cure the disease...assuming some amount of knowledge can actually cure the disease. Heal is a safer bet, though, and doubles as a way to keep myself out of trouble, should a tiger take my leg off or something.

Jelvoden
2009-08-11, 04:21 PM
Shapechange, Greater Sign of Sealing, Astral Projection.

Astral Projection for the undying, unaging (woohoo suspended animation effect!) and plane-traveling. Greater Sign of Sealing to make the true body storage facility utterly secure. Shapechange because... Shapechange.

Sir Homeslice
2009-08-11, 04:32 PM
Okay. You're concerned how many people want to cure cancer, alshiemers, any disease or poison or injury? people who want to ease pain and suffering? Only reason I can see to be concered about this is if you are the one causing the suffering.

Example. You hear of a miracle man that can cure...hell. He can cure anything at all. ANYTHING. He cures 10 people Monday. Those ten people tell two more people about how they've been cured by this miracle man. Those two people call three people. Those three people call four people, those four people call four people, etc. etc.

Soon that single person would be swamped by would be patients. They have 10-spell level uses per day. Since the person in question probably doesn't know about the additional truckload of people, he can't coordinate his spellcastings to meet the expectations of people. Some of these people may very well have to make prohibitively long trips to meet this miracle man.

Soon, more people he can ever handle show up, demanding help. The loclas who don't want to wait initially pull out of hospitals and clinics. The doctors get annoyed/pissed. The government eventually steps in; they want to do all sorts of things to this man. From simple talks to experimentation to threats to whatever.

This might just be silly talk, but this can happen. And that single person would be swamped and crushed by the expectations of so many eager people.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 04:35 PM
Example. You hear of a miracle man that can cure...hell. He can cure anything at all. ANYTHING. He cures 10 people Monday. Those ten people tell two more people about how they've been cured by this miracle man. Those two people call three people. Those three people call four people, those four people call four people, etc. etc.

Soon that single person would be swamped by would be patients. They have 10-spell level uses per day. Since the person in question probably doesn't know about the additional truckload of people, he can't coordinate his spellcastings to meet the expectations of people. Some of these people may very well have to make prohibitively long trips to meet this miracle man.

Soon, more people he can ever handle show up, demanding help. The loclas who don't want to wait initially pull out of hospitals and clinics. The doctors get annoyed/pissed. The government eventually steps in; they want to do all sorts of things to this man. From simple talks to experimentation to threats to whatever.

This might just be silly talk, but this can happen. And that single person would be swamped and crushed by the expectations of so many eager people.

That's why you take Shapechange and BBQ people if they don't do as they're told.

Sir Homeslice
2009-08-11, 04:36 PM
That's why you take Shapechange and BBQ people if they don't do as they're told.

I hate magic.

only1doug
2009-08-11, 04:39 PM
Mordenkainens Magnificent Mansion. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesMagnificentMansion.htm) L7 3 / day
Heroes Feast. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroesFeast.htm) L7 3 / day
Greater Teleport. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleportGreater.htm) L7 3 / day

I can live in luxury anywhere with great food (and feed the masses) and travel wherever I fancy.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 04:43 PM
I hate magic.

And it hates you :smallamused:

Johel
2009-08-11, 05:03 PM
If it's ok with you, I'll pretend that's not true, because it makes me look like a moron.

Also why aren't you kneeling? Zod demands that you kneel!!!!!!!!

*kneel and lick the ground/shoes*

As you command, Ô mighty Zod.
but it is still written that...

Not silly at all.
Actually, many artists and programmers on the web have this problem.
They start something as a hobby, a freetime project. It got a small fanbase. People praise the Man. It got popular. People expect the Man to keep a schedule or something. It got really popular. People expect professional quality from the Man. Eventually, people will BLAME the Man for flaws, delays, ect... and go as far as to TELL him to work faster/better. Not asking, telling him.

All along, the Man was simply fullfilling his dreams and sharing the result for everybody to enjoy. He had never made any promise (and even if he had, they weren't contractual obligations or such). And yet, he'll get blamed as if he was a commercial corporation doing sloppy job...so far that commercial corporations might sue him because they used part of his "opensource" bugged project and it backfired.

Be kind with a human, he'll just crap on you. :smallsmile:

EDIT :

I don't technically need a horse - or can become one as desired -

Do it !! Do it !! :smalltongue:
Then you'll be stuck as a mere mount with 2 in Intelligence.
Same kingdom, Same class, Same or lower Intelligence. +9 !!
*look at "Zod"*
nuthing said !!

Sebastian
2009-08-11, 05:28 PM
Greater scrying, tongues and ... mmmh, greater teleport, for emergency, probably, or maybe shapechange/POA, or charm person, hard to choose one, but the more important are the first two, i can see anyone, anywhere and understand any language, the possible applications are limitless.

Leewei
2009-08-11, 05:52 PM
Greater scrying to be used with some discretion on deserving targets.
Sending to anonymously share what I find.
Lastly, mind shield for my own peace of mind.

I think a lot of the world's troubles could be solved with a bit more accountability. Setting up a network of proxy psychics to disseminate what I know to those empowered to fix things could be done ethically and without violence. It could leave my personal life pretty much intact, too -- very desirable. Mind you, if abused, these powers could be downright creepy.

Just keep that in mind if you decide to shapeshift into something and go on a rampage, or start melting peoples' brains.

Johel
2009-08-11, 05:57 PM
Greater scrying, tongues and ... mmmh, greater teleport, for emergency, probably, or maybe shapechange/POA, or charm person, hard to choose one, but the more important are the first two, i can see anyone, anywhere and understand any language, the possible applications are limitless.

Greater Scrying is good.
Tongues is... original.
You thought about "Message" for the third ?
Being able to see anyone, understand him and talk to him is probably a good way to set some kind of cult.

"-I am the Alpha and the Omega"
"-...what ?!"
"-I am the Maker of all things. Rejoice, my child, for you have been chosen !!"

Set a few prophet-like puppets and that's it !! They don't have much power beside what they already had before but the fact that you can talk to each potential adept to guide him to your church...

All the powerfull, wealthy and learned people could be gathered under your thumb. Their combined ressources and skills could allow any project and even set defenses for your mortal flesh.

"-Oh !! By the way, prophet-guy, there's a man. Name's Sebastian. He shall not know suffering or worries. For I have projects for this poor soul."
"-We shall protect him and provide to his every desires."
"-I think he likes them blond. Just a guess... God, over."

TerrickTerran
2009-08-11, 06:43 PM
Nothign new or exciting here. Polymorph any object, Greater Teleport, Mass Heal

Schylerwalker
2009-08-11, 07:09 PM
Woof, that's a hard choice. Only three spells, out of the hundreds, if not thousands, out there? How can I choose?!

After reading through the entire thread, looking at other people's choices, and the various moral arguments people have had, I think I can come to a decision.

If there were a bunch of other people with these powers in the world and I knew of them:
Mind Blank
Greater Teleport
Power Word: Kill

If the Gods offered me these powers and I was in a great mood:
Heal
Mass Heal
Greater Teleport
"Come to me, my children. Be healed!...oh crap, the feds!" *PLORT*

If the Gods offered me these powers and I was in a good/neutral/bad mood:
True Creation
Shapechange
Prestidigitation
"Was THIS your card?...No?...ah, whatever, I'm gonna go play with my rainbow-colored rocket-powered jetpack that trails behind clouds of smoke that smell like fresh brownies."

If the Gods offered me these powers and I was in a terrible mood:
Disintegrate
Meteor Swarm
Storm of Vengeance
"The world will burn!"

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-11, 07:35 PM
If there were a bunch of other people with these powers in the world and I knew of them:
Mind Blank
Greater Teleport
Power Word: Kill

Shapechange: Black Ethergaunt <3

Or just PAO: Solar then Miracle->PAO: Solar again. Permanent Solar!

EDIT: Also, you should get Apocalypse from the Sky instead of Storm of Vengeance. It affects several miles.

Dervag
2009-08-11, 08:11 PM
Fabricate
Heal
Suggestion

Those are mostly for personal utility. I don't want to be able to blow stuff up, I don't want to be Superman, and if I want to travel I can do that by mundane means.

I think I'd try to use Suggestion on myself a lot in an attempt to bypass my crappy willpower; I wonder if that would work:

"I Suggest that I go to the gym."

Thrawn183
2009-08-11, 08:40 PM

At this point you do an interview on the news (and inform people on your lawn with a megaphone) that anyone who annoys you for healing will NEVER be healed.

Forrestfire
2009-08-11, 08:43 PM
I'd say...

Mage's Magnificent Mansion
Mind Blank (For protection against mindrapers)
True Creation (Well, for one thing, 20 cubic feet of gold would be nice, but can you imagine creating 20 cubic feet of adamantine? Heck, anything valuable or volatile would be fun to make...:smallamused:)

Thrawn183
2009-08-11, 08:45 PM
So what would be the
A) most valuable
or
B) most useful (both personally and publicly)
uses for true creation?

ritztastic
2009-08-11, 08:56 PM
So what would be the
A) most valuable
or
uses for true creation?

Well, I'm not sure of the value of gold by the cubic foot, but either gold or, if possible, large bills. That'd require a Craft check, though, I think. So I'd go with gold.

PId6
2009-08-11, 09:08 PM
I wonder, can you True Creation up a computer program with a Craft (Programming) check? How about an English paper with a Craft (Essay Writing) check? Or maybe create life using a Craft (Microbiology) check?

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-11, 11:03 PM

That's what wind walk is for. Think of it, I won't be a person but a healthy breeze. Try to track that down? And if you succeed and learn my secret, that is what my 20d8 5/day sound lance is for.

The_If
2009-08-11, 11:21 PM
I'm not a needy person, too much power would drive me mad. So I'll take only necessary spells.
Mage Hand, 4e version. I'm moving soon and I'm likely to need to move more. This'll help me carry boxes out to the car, probably with me holding the other side. I'm on the short side and I can't reach the top shelf while shopping.

Mending, 3.5. I have lots of little electronics, which have little pieces, which require little tools to fix. I'm tired of worrying about warranties and shipping boxes.

Summon Elemental Monolith, 3.5. It can't all be well thought out.

Yahzi
2009-08-11, 11:32 PM
More accurately: "What's wrong with that person?"

Degenerates are determined by the collective social outlook.
That's a very cynical point of view. But possibly not wrong. :smallbiggrin:

evil people throwing around compulsion effects like mind rape
I didn't think the terms of the experiment included other people having spells. Even so, I'd like to think the mindrapers would eventually be tagged by a good rifleman after a while.

No two of which can be more than 30' apart"
Doh! That makes a lot more sense. So you can heal a lot less people. But it's still a lot.

I'm not Lawful Good; I'm Chaotic Good, which is better
I thought D&D clearly made LG the "better" alignment (as in more Good). In my world it's NG that is the most good, followed by LG and then CG.

I'm interested in why you think Good is better served by random chaos or personal whim than careful planning and systematic behavior?

c) Mindrape

You don't find those two sentences even a little bit ironic? :smalleek:

BUT I do want to help out the human race.
That's a good point. I may have been too quick to dismiss Plane Shift and Commune, as those grant powers our world simply can't match. You could use them to fundamentally alter the shape of our world, potentially doing more good over the long run than merely healing the sick.

Sanctify the Wicked - Change should come as a personal decision. This doesn't allow that. So they're not finding their way. You're forcing the way. Not being [Mind-Affecting] doesn't change that.
If your choice is a) putting them in prison for life, or b) Sacntifying the Wicked, which is less moral?

True, StW messes with their head in some way, but then, so does prison. And is it really immoral to force people to recognize, acknowledge, and contemplate the effects of their actions?

Since the person in question probably doesn't know about the additional truckload of people, he can't coordinate his spellcastings to meet the expectations of people.
What, he doesn't own a telephone? :smalleek:

You know, he could charge a reasonable fee for his services, and spend some of that money on guards/lawyers/party planners.

It is true that some shallow people would be angry that you didn't heal their canker sores because you were too busy healing other people's terminal cancers, and it is true that those people might make your life difficult, but abdicating your responsibility to your fellow man just because it's inconvenient is not really acceptable.

I think a lot of the world's troubles could be solved with a bit more accountability.
Excellent point! Although you don't need Sending; a good internet proxy accomplishes pretty much the same thing. :D

Schylerwalker
2009-08-12, 12:09 AM
ZeroNumerous, need I remind you that Miracle is a barred spell, and that Solars have 22 HD? (And we're CL 20, so we can't Shapechange into them). And the guy who started the thread specifically said *Hiss-spit-arrggh* when somebody else mentioned Black Ethergaunts. So bad little cheesemonger. :smallamused:

However, things like planetars, rakshasa, and nagas are perfectly acceptable, and they have butt-tons of spell-like abilities and the innate ability to cast spells as well.

But yeah, now that I think about it...freakin' Plane Shift. Go to, say, Abeir Toril with a collection of Forgotten Realms books. Could you imagine how useful that information would be in that world? Especially if your other two spells were something like Shapechange and True Creation? Then you could just go to a school of magic and start picking up actual spellcasting levels.

Or Eberron. :smallbiggrin: But that's because I love the idea of dinosaur-riding halflings.

Tar Palantir
2009-08-12, 12:33 AM
Dominate Person
Superior Invisibility
Symbol of Pain

And you guys were complaining that casting Sanctify the Wicked wasn't playing nice....

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-12, 12:37 AM
ZeroNumerous, need I remind you that Miracle is a barred spell, and that Solars have 22 HD? (And we're CL 20, so we can't Shapechange into them).

1) That implies that I care about your arbitrary limitations. Chaotic.

2) PAO, not Shapechange.

3) Again, implication that I care about your arbitrary limitation.

Attempt to kill me, and I respond in kind. :smallamused:

That's a very cynical point of view. But possibly not wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed, it is very correct. Basic sociology even.

Talic
2009-08-12, 12:43 AM
If your choice is a) putting them in prison for life, or b) Sacntifying the Wicked, which is less moral?

True, StW messes with their head in some way, but then, so does prison. And is it really immoral to force people to recognize, acknowledge, and contemplate the effects of their actions?

By this argument, bad neighborhoods mess with your head. There is a difference between a person being affected by their circumstances and environment...

And changing a person's very identity and sense of self through a conscious act of will, with no choice on their part.

I consider StW to be many, many levels more disturbing than prison, or even execution. StW doesn't kill you, but it does effectively destroy who you are, and replace it with a belief system. Any change to your moral outlook, and change to who you are, that should be a personal decision. It shouldn't be forced. Thoughts are the one area that truly is yours. Taking that from someone is... well, it's so disturbing that I would probably attempt to remove anyone who could do it from society.

Think about it. Forcing a moral outlook on someone, without their consent? That's all kinds of wrong. Reaching into someone's head, and rewiring who they are? No. Not gonna persuade me otherwise.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-12, 12:45 AM
Reaching into someone's head, and rewiring who they are? No. Not gonna persuade me otherwise.

I got a way. The spell has the [Exalted] subtype. That makes it gooder than good. It's usage, circumstance and methods are irrelevant. It could be a spell that has Material Component: Babies and turns someone's innards into a swarm of ravenous flesh-consuming beetles. Is it [Exalted]? Yes? Then it's Good.

Ha Ha. Objective Morality.

EmperorSarda
2009-08-12, 12:49 AM
Honestly, I'd probably choose spells to me out on most day to day things.

So I'd probably pick Greater Teleport (Get to visit friends in other countries instantaneously, without the hassle at Customs. Heck, you charge for your services and you can either teleport immigrants in or join the military and teleport special ops in and out.)

Fox's Cunning or some other intelligence modifier. (Sure helps with school, solving technical problems and such.)

And probably Language. Great for communication.

Other spells to consider: True Creation (Especially if it does create computer programs for you.
Combined Talent seems awesome.
Sending would be cool. You could ask out any girl anywhere in the world. Or complain to your local congressman.
Energy Immunity
Guided Path: If you have no tech available, you're never lost.

Well... There are a lot to consider, but they'd be along the lines in stuff to help me out. Though being able to teleport around and mass heal people is great too. (Would heal or Regeneration heal cancer or aids?)

Talic
2009-08-12, 12:51 AM
I got a way. The spell has the [Exalted] subtype. That makes it gooder than good. It's usage, circumstance and methods are irrelevant. It could be a spell that has Material Component: Babies and turns someone's innards into a swarm of ravenous flesh-consuming beetles. Is it [Exalted]? Yes? Then it's Good.

Ha Ha. Objective Morality.

And this is why I ban any BoED material that replicates an evil ability except it's "for good".

The only way such a spell is not wrong is in a place where things are incapable of rewiring themselves. Demons, Devils, certain undead. All hard wired evil, with no ability to change. Then, the decision can't be a personal one.

But if the decision can be made through persuasion, introspection, etc? Then it should be.

Eldan
2009-08-12, 01:03 AM
But yeah, now that I think about it...freakin' Plane Shift. Go to, say, Abeir Toril with a collection of Forgotten Realms books. Could you imagine how useful that information would be in that world? Especially if your other two spells were something like Shapechange and True Creation? Then you could just go to a school of magic and start picking up actual spellcasting levels.

Or Eberron. :smallbiggrin: But that's because I love the idea of dinosaur-riding halflings.

"Hey, Elminster! Wanna buy this book with detailed instructions what will happen 100 years from now?"

*holds up 4E campaign guide*

"Or maybe this one, which details exactly where all your enemies are and what their defenses will be?"

Johel
2009-08-12, 01:21 AM
I don't find True Creation in the SRD.
But for what I understand, that's Major Creation but with permanent effects, right ?

In a modern context :

Generate complex (and costly) alloys and sell them.
Generate rare chemical components.
Uranium : free electricity for all ?
Create giant-sized raw diamonds for the industry to use.
Fuel ? Ok, maybe that's not THAT necessary... yet. :smalltongue:

Ninetail
2009-08-12, 04:40 AM
At this point you do an interview on the news (and inform people on your lawn with a megaphone) that anyone who annoys you for healing will NEVER be healed.

This is a terrific idea and will certainly never risk inspiring homicidal anger in those sick folks' loved ones.

UnChosenOne
2009-08-12, 05:36 AM
You don't find those two sentences even a little bit ironic? :smalleek:

Realy it's not tool, but how you do use them that make you to evil...

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-12, 05:53 AM
I'd say...

Mage's Magnificent Mansion
Mind Blank (For protection against mindrapers)
True Creation (Well, for one thing, 20 cubic feet of gold would be nice, but can you imagine creating 20 cubic feet of adamantine? Heck, anything valuable or volatile would be fun to make...:smallamused:)

I've already decided to use it for just that reason and build a solid gold house held together by molten silver. And then I use my second usage to create the worlds biggest pizza :smallcool: Also as to making complicated things needing a skill check, take a course in computer building and he presto, magic yourself 20 cubic ft of them and open a small electronics store (which can have uber-low prices because your base costs are 0).

So what would be the
A) most valuable
or
uses for true creation?

A) 2 uses/day = 40 cubic ft of diamonds every single day.
B) Lots of utilitarian uses eg. bricks/cement/wood = housing for the homeless. Or there's always 20 cubic ft of chicken nuggets.

I don't find True Creation in the SRD.
But for what I understand, that's Major Creation but with permanent effects, right ?...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm

Nai_Calus
2009-08-12, 06:24 AM
I thought D&D clearly made LG the "better" alignment (as in more Good). In my world it's NG that is the most good, followed by LG and then CG.

I'm interested in why you think Good is better served by random chaos or personal whim than careful planning and systematic behavior?

Maybe as a hangover from when Alignment consisted of Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic without regard to Good or Evil, and 4e's bizzare establishment-hugging alignment system that I ignore anyway.

None of them is any less 'Good' than the others. They're all 'Good', at the very extreme of the Moral spectrum. A Good person is a Good person. They are conciously devoted to Good. All the L/N/C descriptor does is note where one's Ethical mindset is.

Neutral Good is just that. Neutral. Doesn't favour law, doesn't favour chaos, doesn't seek to promote either Order or Freedom or feel that one or the other is better for doing Good. If laws here will do the most Good, great. If freedom there will do the most Good, great.

Lawful Good is just that. Lawful. It's just as Good as NG, but favours law and order as a method of promoting it. Laws are made that are designed to do Good, whether or not they trample on personal freedoms. Why if people were allowed to do what they pleased, soon we'd all be murdering eachother in the streets!

Chaotic Good is just that. Chaotic. It's just as Good as NG and LG, but favours personal choice as a method of promoting it. An it harm none, do as ye will. Laws are stifling to what must be done to ensure that Good triumphs, and Good behaviour forced by law isn't really Good, now is it, since it's forced? No, Good must be by personal choice, each person deciding for themselves that the path of Goodness is the best.

I'm interested in why you think Good is better served by forcing everyone into One True Way rather than allowing them to act as the situation and their own personal feelings dictate in order to do Good?

eepop
2009-08-12, 10:42 AM
I would probably go with one of three sets based on how I felt the day it happened:

A) I feel like changing the very way the world works!
---1) Mass Awaken Animal
---2) Reincarnation
---3) Contingency

Contingency a reincarnation on myself each day, then go about slowly making the entire planet inhabited by sentient animals (or humans that have been reincarnated to animal forms).

B) I want to advance technology as fast as possible
---1) Moment of Prescience
---2) Divination
---3) True Creation

The idea is that if I can progress technology fast enough, most of the other things I want could be done via technology: flying, immortality, teleportation, etc.

C) I'm feeling self centered and want something that helps NOW
---1) Greater Teleport
---2) Mass Heal
---3) Magnificent Mansion

Get all my friends, load up backpacks with gaming stuff, and teleport around the world gaming until we die of old age. When I have a casting left, go to a hospital in the city we happen to be in, find someplace out of sight and mass heal some folks then teleport out so no one knows it was me.

Johel
2009-08-12, 12:00 PM
I would probably go with one of three sets based on how I felt the day it happened:

A) I feel like changing the very way the world works!
---1) Mass Awaken Animal
---2) Reincarnation
---3) Contingency

Contingency a reincarnation on myself each day, then go about slowly making the entire planet inhabited by sentient animals (or humans that have been reincarnated to animal forms).
And so the Rat Empire was born.
All Hail the Horned Rat !!

When I have a casting left, go to a hospital in the city we happen to be in, find someplace out of sight and mass heal some folks then teleport out so no one knows it was me.
They call you the white shadow.
"-It's only an urban legend, of course..."

Weimann
2009-08-12, 12:12 PM
Well, I'd probably choose...

1) Greater Invisibility

2) Greater Teleport

3) Alter Self

I can be anywhere, I can go anywhere, and I can change myself according to whim. Yeah, that sounds neat.

Amphetryon
2009-08-12, 12:28 PM
1) Mass Heal

2) True Creation

3) Telekinesis

Thrawn183
2009-08-12, 01:01 PM
I think you could do more to change the world with Permanency and Teleportation Circle than anything else.

I'm thinking Space Elevator, and general Interplanetary Travel.

jseah
2009-08-12, 02:14 PM
Good Side:
Contact Other Plane, Polymorph Any Object, Gate
- Massively abuse contact other plane to answer any question I can think of. Probably resulting in advancing science so fast that we crack how magic works in a few weeks.

Dark Side:
replace PAO with Mindrape
- Contact Other Plane used to guide my targets and detect reprisals weeks before they happen, Gate used as summoning/travel. Note that two Gates can function like a Teleport without error if you have a safe waystation (guaranteed via COP)
- No idea what I'd do with it, but I can always ask COP for ideas.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-12, 02:20 PM
Realy it's not tool, but how you do use them that make you to evil...

Mindrape is explicitly [Evil].

Zen Master
2009-08-12, 02:27 PM
Hey, I'm so modest, I'll make do with one.

Give me charm person 9 times a day, and I will rule the world within a year. And if I so choose, no one will know about it.

EDIT: Used the wrong word. Tricky english language.

Random832
2009-08-12, 02:30 PM
Mindrape is explicitly [Evil].STW is explicitly [Good].

(I'm not saying you're wrong about there being virtually no imaginable non-evil way of using it - but appealing to the alignment tags is a road not worth going down again)

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-12, 02:34 PM
STW is explicitly [Good].

(I'm not saying you're wrong about there being virtually no imaginable non-evil way of using it - but appealing to the alignment tags is a road not worth going down again)

Agreed. Of all the threads on this forum, this is one I never expected to devolve into alignment craziness.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-12, 02:36 PM
STW is explicitly [Good Exalted].

That makes it Gooder than Good then. There can be no argument against that given the objective morality in D&D.

Eldan
2009-08-12, 02:47 PM
Perhaps using Diviniation magic to find other habitable planets, then setting a teleporation circle there and charing people money to go look at it? of course, the third spell would have to be some massive defence to prevent people just taking the circle away from you.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-12, 03:10 PM
Perhaps using Diviniation magic to find other habitable planets, then setting a teleporation circle there and charing people money to go look at it? of course, the third spell would have to be some massive defence to prevent people just taking the circle away from you.

Your mean Fourth spell:

Divination
Teleport
Permanency

you're out of spells so there is no defense.

Blackfang108
2009-08-12, 03:10 PM
1.) Greater Teleport. 3/day 2,000 mile teleport. I usually only need 2 (one to work and one back home.) but sometimes I need to make a stop,

2.) Heal. 4/day. As a smoker, this seems useful. And I could always head to a hospital once a day.

3.)Regenerate. 3/day. More useful than Heal, IMO. I like having my body parts where they are. Unless heal restores lost body parts.

In which case:

3b)Shapechange. 1/day. You never know when turning into an Aboleth/Dragon/(anything EXCEPT a Giant Snake) will come in handy.

True Creation SEEMS nice, but I don't think I have all that much in XP to spend on it.

bannable
2009-08-12, 03:18 PM
Shapechange
Iron Heart Surge
Ice Assassin Heal

Also, I'm available for hire.

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-12, 03:54 PM
Hey, I'm so modest, I'll make do with one.

Give me charm person 9 times a day, and I will rule the world within a year. And if I so choose, no one will know about it.

EDIT: Used the wrong word. Tricky english language.

Ruling the world sounds like a hassle. Can you imagine the number of accountants and lawyers you would need? No thanks.

eepop
2009-08-12, 04:00 PM
True Creation SEEMS nice, but I don't think I have all that much in XP to spend on it.
On one of the earlier pages the OP said that he meant these were as spell like abilities, thus no component costs.

Blackfang108
2009-08-12, 04:12 PM
On one of the earlier pages the OP said that he meant these were as spell like abilities, thus no component costs.

Oh...

Oh...

My...

Revised List:
1.) Greater Teleport
2.) Mass Heal
3.) True Creation. (Money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money! And maybe an XBox.)

Johel
2009-08-12, 04:28 PM
Ruling the world sounds like a hassle. Can you imagine the number of accountants and lawyers you would need? No thanks.

I think you mixed "Ruling" and "Governing".
A ruler just enjoy his position and resolve minor issues. He deleguates the boring stuff. That's basically "All Hail the King". :smallwink:

@Acromos :
We would love to hear the details of your mastermind plan.

Charm Person only make people friendly to you but they won't get out of their usual ways for you, unless you are reeeeeeally good with words.
They'll just treat you like a BFF for a few hours (20 hours in our case) but after that, they'll snap out of it and think something like "...why do I hang around that guy already ?". Something like "-Can I borrow you money ?" will work but they'll remember it after... and that can be messy.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-12, 05:15 PM
Last Judgment (BoED). Why? "BOOM! YOU'RE IN HELL!" That's why.
True Resurrection, because I'm a nice guy.
Overland Flight, because duh.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-12, 06:33 PM
you're out of spells so there is no defense.

..Uh, Teleportation Circle is it's own spell.

Specifically: Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleportationCircle.htm).

Night Monkey
2009-08-12, 07:47 PM
I don't think messing with death and ressurection is really a good plan, but I'd definitely go for Heal. Very useful for people with chronic injury of some kind.
Would also want Polymorph any Object because of the near limitless utility power. I can use it to get any item I want, can turn myself into other creatures to fly, swim, be really small to escape danger etc, and can also make myself into something massively intelligent and gain its new Int score. Works on others too, so can make them into things they'd want to be. Would also be a nice way to alter the criminal justice system; murderers become mice.
Finally, I'd pick Calm Emotions. I can think of good uses for this simple spell. It can calm anger, so stopping a fight or argument, or give someone a reprieve from depression or fear.

Very close runner up to all these was Awaken because, "AHHH! TALKING MONKEY! TALKING MONKEY!"

Johel
2009-08-13, 01:28 AM
Very close runner up to all these was Awaken because, "AHHH! TALKING MONKEY! TALKING MONKEY!"

You'll doom us all... :smallfrown:

Zen Master
2009-08-13, 04:32 AM
@Acromos :
We would love to hear the details of your mastermind plan.

Well it's fairly simple, the way I see it. The target of the spell will regard me as a 'trusted friend and ally' for the duration. I can reapply it daily for as long as I need, so it's really just a question of finding the right people. Find a random guy with access to someone influential. Use the random guy to get to the influential guy. Use the influential guy to get access to someone really important. Use the really important guy to get access to the president of the united states. Use the president of the united states to gather the UN security council. Dictate the future of the world, as signed by everyone who counts in the big picture.

It doesn't really matter what they think when the spell wears off - they may well find it odd that some random Joe they don't know anything about set down the words of the 'Great and Universal Plan for the Future of Humankind', but they will be held to their signature by everyone else who signed.

Naturally, there will be monthly, or weekly, or even daily if I so desire, meetings for the council. As often as seems necessary to keep everything in line.

Eventually, I may not even need the spell to keep it going.

Random832
2009-08-13, 06:23 AM
3/day 2,000 mile teleport.

What is this silliness? Greater Teleport doesn't have a distance limit - if you don't want to go more than 2000 miles, just go with Teleport for 5/day.

Johel
2009-08-13, 07:39 AM
Well it's fairly simple, the way I see it. The target of the spell will regard me as a 'trusted friend and ally' for the duration. I can reapply it daily for as long as I need, so it's really just a question of finding the right people. Find a random guy with access to someone influential. Use the random guy to get to the influential guy. Use the influential guy to get access to someone really important. Use the really important guy to get access to the president of the united states. Use the president of the united states to gather the UN security council. Dictate the future of the world, as signed by everyone who counts in the big picture.

That's what I thought
Let me illustrate :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/United_Nations_Security_Council.jpg
See the chairs at the center ? THAT's for the people of the Security Council.

Most of the time, it's not the leaders of the 15 countries themselves who sit there. Diplomats from each country resid in NYC. These diplomats keep contact with their respective governements through modern communication.

To gather in the same room, at the same time, the leaders of all the 15countries currently sitting, it better be apocalypse soon. And even if it is, most treaties take months of negotiation between ambassadors.

Most world leaders will tell the US president to fax the project to their ambassy first. If it's too strict of a project, that's just going to be dismissed. No gathering of the leaders, point. Just a big "-Please adapt this". If one of the big 5 say "no", it's veto. If most of the members say "no", it's no.

With a 20-hours-duration charm and no teleportation, best you can do is influence one world leader and his advisers. Rest of the people will just remain logical...and dismiss anything too radical.

It doesn't really matter what they think when the spell wears off - they may well find it odd that some random Joe they don't know anything about set down the words of the 'Great and Universal Plan for the Future of Humankind', but they will be held to their signature by everyone else who signed.

Point moot : they won't sign anything without reading it first. They'll read it days before signing it. Dozens of diplomats will read it. By the time they decide to take off for NYC, they'll have read it, receive advices and contact the US president to say "**** that !! You're jocking, right !? That's bigger than anything we disagreed on before and you want us to sign it ?!"

No gathering, no charm, no signature.

mikej
2009-08-13, 07:47 AM
simple

- Greator Teleport
- Gate
- True Creation

readsaboutd&d
2009-08-13, 10:07 AM
So, BOVD spell wichh adds years to life (immortality!!!), shapechange (besides the obvious, I can always transform into a solar and get a ring of three wishes if I still havent used before going to sleep) and mindrape (I already payed you for those comic books, remember?)

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-13, 10:27 AM
So, BOVD spell wichh adds years to life (immortality!!!), shapechange (besides the obvious, I can always transform into a solar and get a ring of three wishes if I still havent used before going to sleep) and mindrape (I already payed you for those comic books, remember?)

You may be better off with Dominate Person if that's al you're going to use Mindrape for. More uses/day and does the same job without the whole EEEEEEEEEVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! !!!!!!!!!! thing.

Jackel
2009-08-13, 10:38 AM
You may be better off with Dominate Person if that's al you're going to use Mindrape for. More uses/day and does the same job without the whole EEEEEEEEEVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! !!!!!!!!!! thing.

If he's using Steal Life to slowly wither a human's body/mind and become young again, I doubt he's going to care for what others think about magical brainwashing.

Wulfram
2009-08-13, 10:43 AM
Mass Owls Wisdom, Mass Fox's Cunning, Divination.

The ability to turn everyone in a room, including me, into non-idiots would be very nice, and seeing the future is always good.

Telonius
2009-08-13, 10:50 AM
Either Remove Blindness/Deafness or Regeneration - Almost purely selfish, for the first couple castings: fixes my eyes and ears. After that I become Miracle Healer Man.
Polymorph Any Object - I'll always have exactly the tools I need.
Mordenakainen's Magnificent Mansion - No more mortgage payments, an army of servants, and a 9-course banquet a day? Count me in!

tyckspoon
2009-08-13, 10:51 AM
Mass Owls Wisdom, Mass Fox's Cunning, Divination.

The ability to turn everyone in a room, including me, into non-idiots would be very nice, and seeing the future is always good.

Flowers For Algernon for everybody! That'd be horribly depressing.

Dirdle
2009-08-13, 11:46 AM
Dominate Person.
Polymorph Any Object.
(Evard's) Black Tentacles.

Immortality, an easy life and a side order of world peace/medical care for all would be a good second choice. But first, get a reputation as "that really weird guy."

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-13, 12:19 PM
I think you mixed "Ruling" and "Governing".
A ruler just enjoy his position and resolve minor issues. He deleguates the boring stuff. That's basically "All Hail the King". :smallwink:

But who do you trust? Delegate, delegate, delegate... to whom?

That's why I like the small island theory. I don't have to suffer any fools, I have lavish food (Heroes' Feast), the ability to heal myself and loved ones of any particular malady or injury (Heal), and the ability to defend my small island against most conventional forms of attack (Meteor Swarm). When I need money, I just travel to the mainland and perform a few discreet healing miracles for an exorbitant fee, then go back to my island paradise. It would work. I don't need to be worshiped as a god or even revered as a king. Just me and my lobster.

edit: Just IMHO, immortality + easy life = major, major, major league depression.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-13, 12:44 PM
But who do you trust? Delegate, delegate, delegate... to whom?

That's why I like the small island theory. I don't have to suffer any fools, I have lavish food (Heroes' Feast), the ability to heal myself and loved ones of any particular malady or injury (Heal), and the ability to defend my small island against most conventional forms of attack (Meteor Swarm). When I need money, I just travel to the mainland and perform a few discreet healing miracles for an exorbitant fee, then go back to my island paradise. It would work. I don't need to be worshiped as a god or even revered as a king. Just me and my lobster.

edit: Just IMHO, immortality + easy life = major, major, major league depression.

Unless you have someone to share it with :smallcool:

Also you may want to look into another defence spell. Meteor Swarm is 1/day, so if you miss you're screwed. Lightning Bolt/Cone of Cold may be better. Just a thought.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-08-13, 02:34 PM
Heal, Mass 1/day
Mindrape 1/day
Vision 3/day

I'd get to save many lives on a daily basis, play vigilante, and share eye witness accounts of events from all through history.

I'd also like to say that spells such as Gate and Shapechange are really no better than the likes of Wish.

Lupy
2009-08-13, 02:37 PM
Greater Teleport, Heal, Greater Invisibility.

All 3 would come in handy often enough.

megabyter5
2009-08-16, 08:43 PM
Clearly the gods have given me this opportunity for a reason. While you all squander your gifts on personal luxuries, I will be out there, spreading the worship of my new gods with...

1) Resurrection 3/day
2) Remove Blindness/Deafness 7/day
3) Create Food and Water 7/day

...What? It got Jesus HIS own religion, didn't it?

Cracklord
2009-08-16, 08:45 PM
Mindrape 1/week.
Meteor swarm 1/week
dancing lights at will.

I think my choices speak for themselves.