PDA

View Full Version : Why Enchantment Sucks

Lysander
2009-08-09, 02:34 PM
Because really it's Control/Mentally Ruin. There are fifty billion ways to immobilize, dominate, or ruin someone's mind, but it's really just comes out to three things. I get to pick between making someone sleep and paralyzing them. How utterly different.

So what I suggest are adding more beneficial enchantment spells. Right now there's Heroism and Rage. That's a start. Here are a few more mind enhancing spells.

Expertise
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: Improve one skill check
Duration: 1 minute maximum
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell is cast when the subject initiates a skill check based on INT, WIS, or DEX, and focuses their mind to greatly improve their performance. They receive a +1 modifier to their skill check for every three ranks they have in the skill. The effect only lasts for 1 minute, and provides no benefit to skill checks requiring more time. People Taking 10 can receive a benefit from this, but Taking 20 requires too much time. Only the first relevant skill check they attempt receives a benefit.

Fluency
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates

This spell has two uses. The first use allows it to temporarily implant any one language the wizard knows into the subject's mind. The subject becomes fluent and literate in that language for the spell's duration.

The second use allows the wizard to copy a single language from another person's mind into their own, so the wizard can use that language for the duration of the spell. A wizard does not need to know the name of a language to copy it, and can sense how many languages a person knows and which they use the most.

A wizard can use Fluency to learn languages that people can only speak only because of Fluency, or copy languages to others that the wizard can only speak because of Fluency.

Change Person
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates

You temporarily rewrite a person's mind to vastly alter their abilities. Replace all of their class levels, feats, weapon and armor proficiencies, and skills with any combination of an equal number of fighter and rogue levels and any arrangement of feats or class skills those levels would allow. Changing levels may alter their total number of skill points. They retain their true memory (other than for skill checks) and alignment, but may be given a vastly different personality. Their hitdice and hitpoints remain unchanged. A magician may cast this spell on themselves.

Once the spell ends they regain their old abilities and personality and become exhausted.

-----

Any other spell ideas?

chaos_redefined
2009-08-09, 06:42 PM
Fluency is technically a level 2 save or die against druids. I don't know if this is an issue to you or not, just figured I'd point it out. Make it "Willing Target" and that would be solved.

How does Change Person work if you change them into a spellcaster? What happens if you cast it on a spellcaster, and the duration ends? Familiars/Animal companions? The spell needs a lot of clarification before it can be viable.

To offer help, though...

Memory Mastery
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Range: 0 ft
Target: Caster
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Upon casting this spell, you get a number of memory points equal to your caster level. These do not stack with extra castings of this spell. When you cast a spell from a spell slot 5th level or lower, you may spend a number of memory points equal to the level of the spell slot, and the spell remains prepared as if you had not cast it, even though the energy was spent.

Any remaining memory points left over at the end of this spells duration are lost. Multiple castings of this merely replace the current total of memory points.

deuxhero
2009-08-09, 07:53 PM
Key word being copy. At best it makes the druid target you and only your for being a non druid with druidic.

Lysander
2009-08-09, 08:54 PM
Fluency is technically a level 2 save or die against druids. I don't know if this is an issue to you or not, just figured I'd point it out. Make it "Willing Target" and that would be solved.

How does Change Person work if you change them into a spellcaster? What happens if you cast it on a spellcaster, and the duration ends? Familiars/Animal companions? The spell needs a lot of clarification before it can be viable.

Technically the druid isn't teaching you their language. It's a forcible copying, and it's only temporary. As long as the druid resists, and then tries to punish the wizard I'd say that wouldn't violate their code.

Change Person can't change someone into a spellcaster, it's limited to Fighter and Rogue levels.