PDA

View Full Version : help me with my computer please.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-09, 09:04 PM
okay. put simply my windows OS doesn't allow internet to work. I don't know how to make it work and my windows OS in general is just plain broken. no icons or anything is showing up. I can get past the icons part but I really need the Internet on it to work. I've tried plugging my laptop into an Internet cord but the Internet only works on Ubuntu.

one other option is getting a different Linux OS that's free. all I really care about is playing one specific game anyway. Phantasy Star online blue burst. (yes. that's the way you spell the word fantasy in the title)

Crispy Dave
2009-08-09, 09:49 PM
okay. put simply my windows OS doesn't allow internet to work. I don't know how to make it work and my windows OS in general is just plain broken. no icons or anything is showing up. I can get past the icons part but I really need the Internet on it to work. I've tried plugging my laptop into an Internet cord but the Internet only works on Ubuntu.

one other option is getting a different Linux OS that's free. all I really care about is playing one specific game anyway. Phantasy Star online blue burst. (yes. that's the way you spell the word fantasy in the title)

at your tech level running A game in Linux would be a little too challenging. What you can do is download the installer for your web browser of choice(I recommend firefox) then put it on a flash drive and install it onto the windows partition.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-09, 09:51 PM
well the problem is it's an online game and the internet doesn't seem to work.

raitalin
2009-08-09, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately PS:BB most definitely doesn't work (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10477) in Linux.

Reinstalling your windows partition is always an option, if a labor-intensive one.

Is the "Internet connection" icon showing up on your status bar? Is it absent, disabled, or just broken? You may need to go into the hardware manager to see if your modem's showing up, if it is try the Internet connection wizard. If its not you may need to install the driver, which you can get while you're in Ubuntu.

You should give the board an idea of what you've tried, then we can be of more help.

Your ISP may also be able to help.

MethosH
2009-08-09, 11:08 PM
You may need to go into the hardware manager to see if your modem's showing up

Or your network card.

Lorn
2009-08-10, 06:09 AM
What version of Windows are you actually using?

Have you completely made sure that you are connected to the Internet? Checked router settings, if necessary? Checked the back of the machine? Used a different cable if necessary? (just borrow one off a mate)

On the "no icons" thing, try opening a CMD window and typing "start explorer.exe"

If you can't get to CMD, then use Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then go to File>New Task(Run) and type in "CMD"

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 12:12 PM
oh no the cable works absolutely fine. I use it on my current Linux OS all the time.

Trixie
2009-08-10, 01:12 PM
Sigh.

If you want us to help you, give us something to work with - your version of windows, symptoms (besides 'not working'), error codes, if the net worked earlier, etc.

Frankly, at your proficiency level you probably have two options: make the windows autorepair or get someone who know what he is doing (that can cost, though).

My guess is that (thanks to unpatched system) you likely have that nice worm that kills explorer.exe - I'd scan your hard-drive first - but your description is so vague it can be fity other things.