PDA

View Full Version : The Break <br> Tags...

DragoonWraith
2009-08-09, 11:40 PM
It seems every time you submit (for posting or preview) a post containing [b r] (minus the space) tags (forces a return, useful in tables), they get submitted correctly, but are thereafter displayed as non-functioning <br> tags. This means editing a post with such tags causes all of them to switch to the version that does not work, and even simply previewing a post that you are writing with them similarly causes them to break.

Would it be possible for this to be fixed?

I searched for something on this topic, but could not find anything. My apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

EDIT: Wow, it even got the one in the thread title. Considering it does that, does that mean it would be possible to insert breaks in thread titles? I'd be worried about vandals/spammers abusing that to stretch the page (I've seen such things happen on other, less well run, forums, sadly).

Holocron Coder
2009-08-10, 01:17 AM
As an extra note to slip into here, I've noticed the same with [h r] tags.

B-Man
2009-08-10, 08:54 AM
[br] and [hr] are two of the custom codes that were made when we switched over from YaBB to vBulletin. They do break upon previewing your post or if you have to edit. I can't remember why that happens, though.

Fun fact: They revert to <br> and <hr> even with noparse coupled around them upon preview/edit.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 09:29 AM
If you really want to use either tag extensively, I find it helps to use 'replace all' in Notepad for br and hr. Not a solution, but it's a workable stopgap.

Trixie
2009-08-10, 10:16 AM
<br> and <hr> are two of the custom codes that were made when we switched over from YaBB to vBulletin. They do break upon previewing your post or if you have to edit. I can't remember why that happens, though.

My guess would be something along the lines of poorly coded stripping security feature.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-11, 10:08 AM
If you really want to use either tag extensively, I find it helps to use 'replace all' in Notepad for br and hr. Not a solution, but it's a workable stopgap.
This is what I currently do.

I really need to find a Firefox extension that will let me do Find & Replace for text areas... Anyone know of one?

Rawhide
2009-08-12, 03:51 AM
Known issue. This problem is not going away in a hurry, you will just need to work around it.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-12, 05:34 AM
Known issue. This problem is not going away in a hurry, you will just need to work around it.

Does that mean that there is a potential solution for it, but that it is a low priority &/or requires a lot of coding work? Or that it is theoretically fixable, but the tech staff can't nail it down &/or has more important things to worry about? I'm fine with either one, & I'm used to the workaround; I just wanted to know.

Rawhide
2009-08-12, 08:52 AM
br and hr (plus others we haven't decided to implement) are not supported by the standard vBulletin bbCode system, they have been hacked in to it by a completely different means. It has this side effect.