PDA

View Full Version : Unholy toughness, spellstiching and the undead

quick_comment
2009-08-09, 11:53 PM
1) Where can I find the costs for spellstiching an undead?

2) What is the cheapest way to get unholy toughness? The best I have found is dry lich, for +5 LA.

3) Any other tips for the undead character? Casting energy ebb on myself is nice, as is a cohort with rebuke undad.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 12:26 AM
Costs and the actual template for Spellstiched can be found on page 161 of Complete Arcane.

Also, note, that, if you do take Dry Lich through Walker in the Waste, you do not incur the LA. So, end result is, losing two caster levels instead of five. Other than Dry Lich, I don't think there are any real PC friendly ways to grab Unholy Toughness.

Apparently Dragon Compendium had an undead themed prepared caster that eventually became a Lich, except that you could already be nonhumanoid. The general set-up is to dump Con and go Necropolitan ASAP.

quick_comment
2009-08-10, 12:29 AM
Is it possible to become a dry lich without taking walker in the waste? The text I can find says no.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 12:31 AM
RAW says no, because it appears that the canoptic jars require levels in WotW, but RAI implies, what with actually giving the Dry Lich template LA and all, that it would be possible.

RTGoodman
2009-08-10, 12:35 AM
RAW says no, because it appears that the canoptic jars require levels in WotW, but RAI implies, what with actually giving the Dry Lich template LA and all, that it would be possible.

Maybe that's just for determining wealth? I dunno... I hate making higher-level NPCs. :smallsigh:

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-10, 06:31 AM
Based on the description of the Sere Rite, the fact that the Dry Lich template's mention of dessicating touch only refers to retaining the base creature's existing ability of the same name, and the fact that the example Dry Lich is an Asherati Cleric 5/Walker in the Waste 10 (and including the template's +5 Level Adjustment), I believe completing the PrC is the only way to actually gain the template.

This would mean that the template's LA really does apply to characters who take the full 10 levels in Walker of the Waste (as seen in the example), immediately increasing them by 5 effective levels upon completion of the class. Also, I don't see much of anything that would contradict this other than the fact that it's pretty much the only template that's tied into a prestige class in this way. And that's not very convincing at all.

Xenogears
2009-08-10, 06:38 AM
Costs and the actual template for Spellstiched can be found on page 161 of Complete Arcane.

Also, note, that, if you do take Dry Lich through Walker in the Waste, you do not incur the LA. So, end result is, losing two caster levels instead of five. Other than Dry Lich, I don't think there are any real PC friendly ways to grab Unholy Toughness.

Apparently Dragon Compendium had an undead themed prepared caster that eventually became a Lich, except that you could already be nonhumanoid. The general set-up is to dump Con and go Necropolitan ASAP.

The Death Master. Kinda like a mix of a cleric and a druid except you use Int and arcane spells. You get an undead minion, can replace somatic components with blood, and a couple other things. Not an amazing class but flavorfull and fun-looking.

Oh wait. You also have to be evil and respect orcus and its heavily suggested that you in fact worship orcus...

Cyclocone
2009-08-10, 07:57 AM
The Death Master. Kinda like a mix of a cleric and a druid except you use Int and arcane spells. You get an undead minion, can replace somatic components with blood, and a couple other things. Not an amazing class but flavorfull and fun-looking.

Oh wait. You also have to be evil and respect orcus and its heavily suggested that you in fact worship orcus...

So, precursor to 4e lich?

Anyway, Spell Stitched is here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf), complete with cost.

Created by a Wizard or Sorcerer at the cost of 1,000 gp and 500 XP per point of Wisdom.

Cieyrin
2009-08-10, 02:59 PM
Based on the description of the Sere Rite, the fact that the Dry Lich template's mention of dessicating touch only refers to retaining the base creature's existing ability of the same name, and the fact that the example Dry Lich is an Asherati Cleric 5/Walker in the Waste 10 (and including the template's +5 Level Adjustment), I believe completing the PrC is the only way to actually gain the template.

This would mean that the template's LA really does apply to characters who take the full 10 levels in Walker of the Waste (as seen in the example), immediately increasing them by 5 effective levels upon completion of the class. Also, I don't see much of anything that would contradict this other than the fact that it's pretty much the only template that's tied into a prestige class in this way. And that's not very convincing at all.

The LA is there saying what it would cost to get it w/o the PRC levels, like if you stole the secret of making a dry lich from the society somehow. The only thing the PRC and template are saying is you have to go through their organization to get access to the secrets of doing so and this is the normal path of doing such. You could probably emulate the requirements to make the jars w/ UMD, steal the creation secrets from a dry lich and do the process yourself, though then you have an angry society after your ass but hey, you don't have to fiddle w/ being a Walker in the Wastes to get to your goals and you can deal w/ the aftermath of that, right?

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.