PDA

View Full Version : Eagle v. Dragon

Runeclaw
2009-08-10, 12:12 AM
[3.5] I'm a 9th level Druid considering summoning a new animal companion for the specific purpose of fighting a dragon - color and age currently unknown.

I'm thinking a Dire Eagle (RoS) - would that be a good choice? What feats would you suggest?

The eagle doesn't need to defeat the dragon individually, of course, I'm just looking for a companion who'd be able to contribute more to the fight than my current wolf (assuming that the fight will take place primarily in the air).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-10, 12:32 AM
You should definitely get the feat Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer. It gives +3 to your effective Druid level for your animal companion, no higher than your character level, which can be used to negate the Dire Eagle's -3 for being a stronger companion.

For the Eagle's feats, I'd probably give it the Mage Slayer line of feats from Complete Arcane, qualifying via cross-class ranks in Spellcraft. Large and In Charge from the Draconomicon is also great to have, especially with Combat Reflexes, though it's less useful against larger foes. Improved Flight (RotW) would put its maneuverability at Good rather than Average, which is a huge advantage. An extremely cheesy trick is for you to take Exalted Companion for a Celestial version that's good-aligned, and give your companion Vow of Poverty (BoED). If you run out of what feats to give it, Improved Toughness isn't a bad choice.

For your tactics, just prepare Call Avalanche from Frostburn to knock it to the ground, and/or use Wall of Thorns to trap it in place.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 12:34 AM
If you're feeling really, really dirty, you could go ahead and grab a Fleshraker from MM3. Give it a means to fly, a few buffs, and let that puppy charge. Bears aren't bad, either, if you decide against the Fleshraker.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-10, 06:38 AM
Bears aren't bad, either, if you decide against the Fleshraker.

Also, flying bears are AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

Runeclaw
2009-08-10, 06:40 PM
Natural Bond lets you recoup the lost levels from an upgraded companion? Really?

I thought it was just for mutliclassers.

Mando Knight
2009-08-10, 07:09 PM
Natural Bond lets you recoup the lost levels from an upgraded companion? Really?

I thought it was just for mutliclassers.

Natural Bond gives you a bonus to your effective Druid level. Upgraded companions take a penalty to your effective Druid level. They also both *happen* to do so in increments of 3.:smallwink:

PinkysBrain
2009-08-10, 07:50 PM
There are other ways to fly than to have wings, you have air walk for instance (Fire wings is a nice non core spell too).

The main problem is overcoming the ridiculous AC most dragons have, grappling is not really an option because his BAB is also high.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-10, 10:56 PM
Also, flying bears are AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

Oh yes, because Nature's other monster needs to be able to fly. I guess you'll be wanting Lasers with that Kodiak too, huh?

Damn you Colbert! You aren't doing your job fast enough!

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 10:58 PM
[3.5] I'm a 9th level Druid considering summoning a new animal companion for the specific purpose of fighting a dragon - color and age currently unknown.

I'm thinking a Dire Eagle (RoS) - would that be a good choice? What feats would you suggest?

The eagle doesn't need to defeat the dragon individually, of course, I'm just looking for a companion who'd be able to contribute more to the fight than my current wolf (assuming that the fight will take place primarily in the air).

Eagles. Are. Awesome.

You shall win. The heart of the cards has deemed it so.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-10, 11:02 PM
Oh yes, because Nature's other monster needs to be able to fly. I guess you'll be wanting Lasers with that Kodiak too, huh?
If it's not a touch attack it probably won't be hitting the dragon ... so yes ;)

Natael
2009-08-11, 07:23 AM
And what would be the best way to give bears lasers?

Blackjackg
2009-08-11, 07:30 AM

Carefully, and with the barrel pointed away from yourself.

Hyozo
2009-08-11, 07:32 AM

Awaken it and give it warlock levels?

Or what Blackjackg said.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-11, 08:05 AM
Awaken it and give it warlock levels?

Or what Blackjackg said.

Or Incarnate levels. Of course, that's less "laser" and more "face-melting-luggie."