PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spells

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:11 AM
List your 2 favorite spells, and, if they are not SRD spells, give class, level, and a description of what they do.

Fleshshiver; Sorcerer/Wizard 6: Stun someone for 1 round, no save (assuming their HD are under your CL), then, next turn deal 1d6/CL damage and nauesate them for 1d4+2 turns if they fail a Fortitude save.

Spell Theft; Sorcerer/Wizard 5: Targeted Dispel Magic with +15 max CL. Any spells you strip from them can be given to yourself, if you want.

Sanguine
2009-08-10, 01:13 AM
Otto's Irresistible Dance

And

Baleful Polymorph

Tharivol123
2009-08-10, 01:16 AM
Finger of death and Power word, kill.
I'm a fan of instant death attacks, especially as a sorcerer.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 01:21 AM
My favorite spell, hands down, is Bands of Steel (Spell Compendium, Wizard 3, Conjuration). Rounds per level save or suck. Fail, and you're out of the fight due to complete immobilization. Make it, and get entangled instead. Only problem is that it only works on medium and smaller creatures.

My runner up spell would probably end up being haste, but that's due to my love affair with gishes.

arguskos
2009-08-10, 01:24 AM
I'm very very tired, so I'll just toss out this one spell.

Firebrand: Sor/Wiz 5, found in the Spell Compendium. It deals 1d6/level fire damage (max 15d6) in a 5-foot square. However, it makes 1 square per level (no listed cap)! It's basically the ultimate direct damage spell. Get some Energy Sub (sonic) and you can level a city in one fifth level slot.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-10, 01:25 AM
Avasculate...and orb of sound

Xenogears
2009-08-10, 01:25 AM
I'd say lightning bolt cuz shooting lightning is just so awesome and hmmm. Maybe Crushing Fist of Spite from BoVD. Basically you summon a giant fist to smash your enemies. Not terribly good but hilarious.

peacenlove
2009-08-10, 01:36 AM
Warp spell (tome of magic, shadowcaster 4, basically if you succeed in a caster level check you counter a spell AND cast a 3rd level spell at the same immediate action) and Consume essence (tome of magic shadowcaster 9, Death effect and the creature rises as your minion for 1 round / level), Because nothing is better than countering your opponent's magic and then forcing them a fortitude save or make them your minions :smallbiggrin:
(a man can dream :smalltongue:)

PId6
2009-08-10, 01:46 AM
Maw of Chaos - 9th level Spell Compendium Abjuration spell that's basically the ultimate direct damage spell. Deals 1d6 damage/level (no cap!!) per round for 1 round/level (!!!) over a large area. The total damage becomes quadratically higher as caster level increases. It offers no save for the damage and a Will save per round or be dazed! This is what Meteor Swarm should have been like.

olentu
2009-08-10, 01:58 AM
I rather like defenestrating sphere.

Sorcerer/Wizard 4

Makes a sphere of air that throws people around. Also throws them towards windows.

I can not think of a second at the moment.

Keld Denar
2009-08-10, 02:10 AM
Whirling Blade!!!!!

Wiz/Sorc/Hex/Bard 2

60' line MELEE attack against anyone you want in the path using Int, Cha, or Str as desired. Yea...its a MELEE attack, and you CAN Power Attack with it.

Um......

Greater Mirror Image

Like regular Mirror Image, except 4th level...and an Immediate Action...and they REGENERATE! Whats not to love?

Starscream
2009-08-10, 02:34 AM
Manyjaws Sor/Wiz 3. Causes up to ten pairs of jaws to appear in the air and attack whoever you want. Can be maintained for up to three rounds. All the fun of a fireball, but won't hurt your compatriots. And the damage is untyped, which is very handy. I generally don't like direct damage spells (Evocation is the first school to go in my book), but this one is unique enough to be fun.

Entice Gift Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 2. Target must succeed on a will save or give you whatever he is holding. Repeat, target must save or give you what he is holding. Anything he is holding. His weapon, his spellbook, his phylactery, the campaign's Artifact of Doom, his girlfriend's phone number, his kobold and cheese sandwich... there are so many fun ways to abuse this.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-10, 02:42 AM
Disintegrate. Gust of Wind.

Amiria
2009-08-10, 02:48 AM
Disintegrate and Fireball.

Kaihaku
2009-08-10, 03:16 AM
The versatile low-level Illusion Spells (Minor Illusion - Persistent Illusion).

Animate Objects. Animate anything...from someone's chair to a bag of marbles to a tank.

Telekinesis. Awesome if sadly limited in the d20 ruleset.

Wall of Force. While not versatile per say it has the advantage of having very few countermeasures (near absolutes are handy). It can be used for things like damning up rivers, warding off lava flows, blocking portals, surviving the odd tidal wave, and, in combination with decanters of endless water, drowning the tarrasque (technically I used wall of force, wish, and permanency for that one).

Polymorph. Amazingly versatile and fun despite the fact that it's broken.

Polymorph and Object. Yes, it's broken, but it allows for more fun things than just about any other spell... Like eating an apple and then turning the core into a tree, or changing someone else's clothing on the fly (changing a paladin's full plate into a dress was my favorite), or creating just about anything anywhere anytime, or etc etc etc.

Teleport. It drastically changes a game...opening up vast possibilities. No more travel time, instant access to 90% of most worlds, etc.

Miracle. Awesome when used as if it were a request to a God rather than just plain mechanics.

If I have to choose two I'll go with the two that have served me the best to date... Wall of Force and Teleport.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-10, 07:49 AM
As a player, my two favorites will vary based on caster class. As a DM?

Delay Death SpC, cleric 4, minute/level, you have no lower limit on your negative HP.

Boar's Ferocity SpC, druid 1, round/level, you can act while at negative HP.

Throw both of those on someone with Steadfast Determination (to not auto-fail massive damage saves) and you're practically immune to HP damage while they last. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2009-08-10, 08:17 AM
Hadoken!

Wait, that's not a spell? Oh, ok. Hmm, tough one. I'd go with something broken if not for the fact that it's utterly broken (PAO, Shapechange, Gate all crossed my mind) and thus I haven't really gotten to enjoy using it beyond figuring out that it is indeed broken.

I do have a soft spot though: Contact Other Plane

I'm a huge Divination-fan since knowing precisely which spells to prepare, when we'll have encounters the next day and how hard ones, where the ancient artifact is and what did she eat yesterday rocks.

It's the single most versatile spell I can think of. Actually, my other favorite spell also falls under Divination:
Foresight

Yeah, I know the future, whatcha gonna do about it? Also, one more all-time favorite: Moment of Prescience

Yeah, I like knowing the future and I like being prepared for that ambush. Though I have to say, I also love Simulacrum, the whole Image-line, Animate Object (OH THE FUN!), basically anything that makes unconventional pals.

Oh, and Disjunction, because in the end I like the fights without all that magic (except for the fact that it always gets misdirected, but c'est la vie).

Leon
2009-08-10, 08:47 AM
Bufos Hex (Known to everyone else as Baleful Polymorph)

Enervation

Blackfang108
2009-08-10, 08:52 AM
Touch of Chaos: 5
Exemplars of Evil.
Touch
Turns the target into a blob with 10 ft movement, one attack/round with a massive penalty and miss chance.
1round/2 levels,

also-

Enervation. Come on, who doesn't love this spell?

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-10, 09:00 AM
Form of Doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm) and Decerebrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm). One because you become a betentacled horror, the other because it teleports some poor bastard's brainstem away. How many opponents do YOU fight that are immune to (teleportation) effects, as opposed to (death), (mind-affecting), etc?

mikej
2009-08-10, 09:54 AM
- Fireball
- Polymorph
- Gate
- Finger of Death
- Divine Power

Rhiannon87
2009-08-10, 10:09 AM
Sakkar's Triple Strike. It's in one of the FR handbooks, I'm at work so I can't check it right now, but it is a freaking godsend for a party with a lot of melee fighters. It's a 5th level Sor/Wiz spell. It lasts for one round after casting, but in that one round, if you make a full melee attack, you get the following bonuses: Melee weapons become keen and flaming burst, and you get two extra attacks at your highest BAB. When you've got a TWF fighter who's already making four attacks a round normally... yeah. It's awesome.

And then probably Fireball or Cone of Cold for my next favorite. Nice big damage blasts are fun.

valadil
2009-08-10, 10:38 AM
Rope Trick and Ray of Enfeeblement.

Of course if you're counting non core, never published material, I present to you Grimble is a Supreme Being. Grimble is my epic gnome wizard. I only got around to inventing one epic spell. We never quite got around to mechanics for it, but it involved Grimble growing beyong guargantuan and splitting a la Phantasia upon taking damage. How the Grimble spawn acted was never determined (I don't think the GM would have let me cast spells from each of them - maybe I could pick and choose each turn?). The important part was that when this spell was cast, my mini was stricken from the board and replaced with a full sized garden gnome.

aje8
2009-08-10, 12:49 PM
Glitterdust and Evard's Black Tentacles.

The first is simply excellent at all levels and bascially wins a mook encounter if sculpted. That's in addition to finding invisiable and ridiculous hide check creatures.

Tentacles....... it owns. Everything. Always.

sofawall
2009-08-10, 02:04 PM
Telekinesis. Awesome if sadly limited in the d20 ruleset.

I think you need some Master of the Unseen Hand.

Kulture
2009-08-10, 04:03 PM
First is the mid-epic spell "Necromantic Singularity" from champions of Ruin.
Step 1: Aquire sphere of annihilation
Step 2: do 1 minute of chanting, etc.
step 3: Sit back and watch a tear in space and time to the negative energy plain kill every living thing in a mile radius, instantaniously (but somehow one by one) up to 1000HD.
Step 4: Be thankful that you invested in lichdom.
Step 5: create undead army from remains.

Though my favourite non-epic spell has got to be the spell Mind rape
Because it does what it says on the tin.