PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class, the Land of Alvia] The Commoner

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 01:56 AM
The Commoner

Hit Dice: d4
Weapon Proficiencies: Commoners are proficient with basic weapons.
Armor Proficiencies: None
Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)
Class Skills: Six + Intelligence Modifier + Craft, Perform and Profession

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|
---

2nd|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|
---

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

4th|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+3|
---

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+3|
---[/table]

Err... the revised commoner?

The only difference is the weapon group thing. I reverted to the original hit dice.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-10, 05:25 AM
Meh. I dunno, I just don't see the need to rework the Commoner anyway, & these tweaks are very minor. A Commoner with this variant would be identical to a normal Commoner in every single way, except they have even fewer hit points, & they could handle more than one weapon without falling all over themselves with incompetence. I'm not seeing the point here. I've never looked at a Commoner & thought "Huh, they're kinda tough; I wish they didn't have so much HP" or "Oh man, he would've been okay, if only he could've handled that axe AND that sword without a penalty". This variant is just not clearly superior to the Commoner that we all know & love don't care about.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 11:58 AM
Meh. I dunno, I just don't see the need to rework the Commoner anyway, & these tweaks are very minor. A Commoner with this variant would be identical to a normal Commoner in every single way, except they have even fewer hit points, & they could handle more than one weapon without falling all over themselves with incompetence. I'm not seeing the point here. I've never looked at a Commoner & thought "Huh, they're kinda tough; I wish they didn't have so much HP" or "Oh man, he would've been okay, if only he could've handled that axe AND that sword without a penalty". This variant is just not clearly superior to the Commoner that we all know & love don't care about.

Uhh... well, I decided to change it a bit because of a situation like this:

A Master Chef has a +12 in Profession (Cooking). Let's say he has 12 wisdom, and Skill Focus (Profession (Cooking)). +4 Cooking. Now he needs 8 ranks in cooking. He's a level 5 commoner. He has 14 hit points. Compared to that musician playing just outside of his famous restaurant, just trying to earn a living. He's level 1. He has 4 hit points. So, are we saying that this chef is superior, combat-wise to this violinist because he's better at cooking? (No arguments about butcher knives vs. violin bows)

I just thought it was odd.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-10, 12:32 PM
Also, your BAB is messed up (and in the LA class); it should be 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 - you have 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, which is just weird.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 01:10 PM
Well, hey by D&D standards, the longer you spend locked up in a tower, letting your muscles atrophy and studying nothing but arcane runes to the exclusion of everything else, the tougher and better at hitting things you become. Heck, eventually after years of wasting away, you could probably fistfight the town guard and win.:smalltongue: