PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, the Land of Alvia] LA Class

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 01:58 AM
The LA Class

Special: Upon gaining LA, a creature gains a number of levels in this class equal to the LA.
Hit Dice: d4
Weapon Proficiencies: None
Armor Proficiencies: None
Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|
---

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|
---

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|
---

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+2|
---

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+3|
---

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+3|
---[/table]

A bit more useful than that Commoner class I stuck up two seconds ago.

DracoDei
2009-08-10, 06:42 AM
My ground just uses the Core commoner for the levels you get instead of LA in our games...

What are the class skills?

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 12:00 PM
My ground just uses the Core commoner for the levels you get instead of LA in our games...

What are the class skills?

... Uhh... the variant I'm using makes it so you just pick your class skills at first level, and that's it.

I never actually thought about using the Core commoner class (which is the exact same in all possible ways is this thing). I don't know why haha, I just felt the need to make this.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-10, 12:19 PM
For LA races and inherited templates, just using the class skill list of the first class level you actually take works out just fine. For acquired templates, probably the class skill list of whatever class you had last improved when you got the template.

Considering you have the worst HD, worst skill points, worst saves, and no features, would it be appropriate to give them the worst BAB, rather than a worse-than-the-worst BAB (1/2 HD, rather than 1/3 HD)?

Cieyrin
2009-08-10, 12:25 PM
For purposes of LA, do you have to select an LA level as your first or can you select a racial hit die or class level, as that clearly matters here.

EDIT:
Considering you have the worst HD, worst skill points, worst saves, and no features, would it be appropriate to give them the worst BAB, rather than a worse-than-the-worst BAB (1/2 HD, rather than 1/3 HD)?

It's not quite 1/3 BAB, it starts that way and then goes to half around BAB +3, which is bizarre, I admit. Probably best to half-BAB it up, though.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-10, 12:29 PM
That's a good point. I'd say HD comes first (since it's guaranteed to be at least as good, and probably better). The general rule in D&D is that when the order of things makes a difference and either order is allowed, one should use the order that best benefits the player.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 12:33 PM
Oh, whoops. The BAB is supposed to be 1/2 HD. That's just an error. Thanks for pointing it out, haha.

Do you think I should add Bonus Feats (Monstrous feats only)?

DragoonWraith
2009-08-10, 12:40 PM
I don't think it would break anything to allow LA to count as normal levels for the purposes of getting your regular feats; bonus feats, on the other hand, seem odd.

Also, I'm thinking that if you have this, LA-buyoff rules become considerably more complicated. You'd have to keep track not only of how and when you can buyoff LA, but also how many skill points, hit points, saves, and BAB you got. If you add in feats, you'll need rules for figuring out how many feats you still have and when you'll get them.

Or just not allow buyoff with this. Which overall, makes a lot more sense, if you're going this route.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-11, 12:15 AM
I don't think it would break anything to allow LA to count as normal levels for the purposes of getting your regular feats; bonus feats, on the other hand, seem odd.

Also, I'm thinking that if you have this, LA-buyoff rules become considerably more complicated. You'd have to keep track not only of how and when you can buyoff LA, but also how many skill points, hit points, saves, and BAB you got. If you add in feats, you'll need rules for figuring out how many feats you still have and when you'll get them.

Or just not allow buyoff with this. Which overall, makes a lot more sense, if you're going this route.

Uhh... I'm not familiar with buyoff LA. Bonus feats do seem odd, though, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking :smallbiggrin:.

Cieyrin
2009-08-11, 10:07 AM
I would say having this going would probably disallow LA buyoff, as you are getting a benefit (albeit a small one) for having LA levels and buying them off to replace w/ class levels falls into the territory of the PHB2's retraining rules, I'd say. On that thought, having actual LA levels opens up a combination of the LA buyoff and retraining systems. You keep the requirements to buyoff and then retrain the class level when you have the opportunity to do so, following those rules. Not so much much bookkeeping that way.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-11, 10:21 AM
Uhh... I'm not familiar with buyoff LA. Bonus feats do seem odd, though, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking :smallbiggrin:.
See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm). It basically lets you expend experience to remove LA, allowing you to potentially obtain 20 class levels.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-11, 11:35 AM
I would say having this going would probably disallow LA buyoff, as you are getting a benefit (albeit a small one) for having LA levels and buying them off to replace w/ class levels falls into the territory of the PHB2's retraining rules, I'd say. On that thought, having actual LA levels opens up a combination of the LA buyoff and retraining systems. You keep the requirements to buyoff and then retrain the class level when you have the opportunity to do so, following those rules. Not so much much bookkeeping that way.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Hmm... that's pretty interesting, although it sounds a bit complex. What if I were to improve everything (HD, BAB, Skill Points) by one step? And then allow them to pick one saving throw as a good saving throw?