PDA

View Full Version : Meetup United Kingdom Meetup - Jingle Hells - All Welcome

Pages : [1] 2

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 02:03 AM
Alrighty then!

I'm thinking that we should have a Christmas party. Games, Beer, Sherry, Toasts, Roasts, Crackers, Photocopying our bums on the office photocopier and the general merriment and tomfoolery that is associated with the festive period.

Games and merriment on Saturday and Breakfast and hangover recovery and possibly some more games on the Sunday, for those who don't live too far away possibly a bar crawl on Sunday night too and you can sleep on our (or some poor student's) floor/driveway/kitchen table/lavatory.

And it should happen in York.

on either 28th of Nov, 5th of Dec or 12th of Dec

I will organise it and pay for a lot of it if you guys will turn up.

Edit: I hope that the mods won't mind, but this thread may have to be Necro'd a couple of times owing to its nature.

Eldpollard
2009-08-10, 02:18 AM
Well you can certainly count me in. Drinking, Christmas and games?

KuReshtin
2009-08-10, 04:00 AM
I vow that I shall be able to make it to one of the Christmas meets one of these days.

I may as well try to make it to this one.

I even have some extra days to take off to make sure I get there.
Now I just need to make sure I have the funds for it.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 04:22 AM
in... London? :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2009-08-10, 04:54 AM
in... London? :smallamused:
Flufftext, flufftext
No.

Lorn
2009-08-10, 06:05 AM
Alrighty then

I'm thinking that we should have a Christmas party. Games, Beer, Sherry, Toasts, Roasts, Crackers, Photocopying our bums on the office photocopier and the general merriment and tomfoolery that is associated with the festive period.

Games and merriment on Saturday and Breakfast and hangover recovery and possibly some more games on the Sunday, for those who don't live too far away possibly a bar crawl on Sunday night too and you can sleep on our (or some poor student's) floor/driveway/kitchen table/lavatory.
Sounds good. And...

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.

If it's in York, I should be able to come pretty easily, and I need to know some decent pubs in York by Febuary :p More than the Exhibition and (possibly) Bay Horse, that is.

Plus, it's relatively North for once :p

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 06:12 AM
As I say, I'll see if I can make it easier/cheaper for people by attempting to put people up. I'd really like a good turn out for this, 'cos as well as the normal playing of games etc, I'd like a bit of a geeky "knees up" lost of short, fun/stupid games. Munchkin, Flux, Nuclear War, Zombies. I'd like to get some Cheapass games in as well as they are good fun.

If parental permission is a problem I'll happily give them a call. If money is a problem then I can put some people up, and if it's REALLY a make or break problem I may be able to put a few quid towards travel if you're sensible and book the train well in advance. I will run a shuttle from Leeds train station first thing in the morning.

I will also make sure that the venue is in walking distance/cheap and easy bus route from York Station.

I want to make this the biggest, best and most awesome meetup so far. If you guys put in the effort to come, I will certianly put in the time and money to make it happen.

I would like to get an IDEA of numbers ASAP.

Totally Guy
2009-08-10, 06:26 AM
You know I'm in.

KuReshtin
2009-08-10, 07:06 AM
I'll try to get at least one of my co workers to come along with me to this thing.
Personally, I'd vote for either November 28th or December 5th, as that's closer to payday, which will mean that money wouldn't be much of an issue (for me anyways).

Ad since I'm driving down from Scotland, I'd say that people on the route from Glasgow, down the M74/M6/A66/M1 to York can get a lift from me.

Limited seats available, first come, first served.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 09:10 AM
Plus, it's relatively North for once :p
They've ALL been relatively* north.
*Reletive from the Captial City of this Great country
So, London? :smalltongue:
I'm in.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 09:15 AM
I'll try to get at least one of my co workers to come along with me to this thing.
Personally, I'd vote for either November 28th or December 5th, as that's closer to payday, which will mean that money wouldn't be much of an issue (for me anyways).

Ad since I'm driving down from Scotland, I'd say that people on the route from Glasgow, down the M74/M6/A66/M1 to York can get a lift from me.

Limited seats available, first come, first served.

I'm in Scotland as well, but I'll be in Edinburgh by the time this happens. If I were to bus to Glasgow would you be able to pick me up?

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-10, 09:22 AM
They've ALL been relatively* north.
*Reletive from the Captial City of this Great country
So, London? :smalltongue:
I'm in.

I agree completely.

Because meetups in London are the only ones I can attend.

What with being a foreigner and all.

KuReshtin
2009-08-10, 09:29 AM
I'm in Scotland as well, but I'll be in Edinburgh by the time this happens. If I were to bus to Glasgow would you be able to pick me up?

Should be very possible, yes.
Just to give you a head's up, though.
Since York is RELATIVELY FAR SOUTH the best option would be to head down on the Friday and then head back up NORTH on Sunday afternoon.

I agree completely.

Blaming your non-attendance on being foreign is a poor excuse. I'm foreign and have so far attended three of the meets. Ok, so I live in the UK but I'm a foreigner by citizenship, and I have the passport to prove it.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 09:38 AM
I agree completely.

i'm not trying to damage my case here, but there are other airports in the UK... some aren't anywhere near London (Shocking i know)

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-10, 09:45 AM
i'm not trying to damage my case here, but there are other airports in the UK... some aren't anywhere near London (Shocking i know)

But there aren't any planes to any of them.

Well, at least not by the airline I frequent.

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 10:13 AM
Trains, There's a train that goes from Kings Cross to York direct, for £29 each way (I admit that it's quite a bit, but if you're paying for a flight...)

Additionally, if You don't mind a long journey, you can get a coach from London Victoria to Leeds (that I can pick you up from) for £10 and the same back.

Or you could beg a lift from AE (wink,wink)

If you do find a flight from another airline (where's your nearest Airport?) then I could give you a lift from Leeds-Bradford Airport.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 10:28 AM
Or you could beg a lift from AE (wink,wink)

you'd do better from someone who can actually drive!

Or, y'know we could move the meet a tiny bit south... like... London :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-10, 10:30 AM

Or, y'know we could move the meet a tiny bit south... like... London :smalltongue:

Preferably, we could move it more to the south. And completely out of the British Isles.

Cause that would be much better for me.

Exachix
2009-08-10, 10:35 AM
But then it wouldn't be a uk meetup =P

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 10:42 AM

Preferably, we could move it more to the south. And completely out of the British Isles.

Cause that would be much better for me.

F*** you, both of you!:smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 10:55 AM
F*** you, both of you!:smalltongue:

only if you come to London... :smallamused:

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 10:56 AM
Why do people assume that bisexual people have no standards!?

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-10, 11:03 AM

To be fair, no one has standards. Bisexual people just have one fewer.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-10, 11:05 AM

*claps*
Bravo Sir, well played.

Last_resort_33
2009-08-10, 11:11 AM
To be fair, no one has standards. Bisexual people just have one fewer.

Touché!

To be honest it is true... but there'd have to be a LOT of taste to lack... sorry AE!

bosssmiley
2009-08-10, 11:17 AM

A confusion over omnivorousness and greed possiby?

York? Sounds good.

Charity
2009-08-10, 11:21 AM
Bah! '

Thufir
2009-08-10, 08:00 PM

An excellent idea, if by 'south' you mean 'north' and by 'London' you mean 'Newcastle'. :smalltongue:

Seriously, this should be doable for me, especially if I can avoid paying for somewhere to sleep (Since I'm an impoverished student and I was fairly stingy to start off with anyway).
Can't do the 12th of December though. The other 2 possible dates are OK.

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-11, 05:31 AM
Should be able to (actually this time) make it if it's not on the 5th of Dec. If it's in November, I may actually be in Edinburgh (fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed) anyway so that would be easier than coming up from Oxford (which would still be doable). Now, all I need is to figure out how to explain meeting up with what my friends would describe as 'scary internet people' without sounding weird! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also I have Zombies!!! if you want some extra, well, zombies...
(No idea how to play Fluxx or Nuclear War, though).

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 06:50 AM
A York Meetup!!!?!??!

I knew this day would finally come. Since me and my gf already live here I think you can safely count us in (travelling costs have been the only thing stopping me from coming to the last two).

Archonic Energy
2009-08-11, 07:56 AM
Bah! '

humbug?
wheres your christmas spirit? :smalltongue:

Last_resort_33
2009-08-11, 08:29 AM
humbug?
wheres your christmas spirit? :smalltongue:

In the top cupboard with the Vodka Spirit, the Gin Spirit, the Rum Spirit and the Strange Purple Liqueur you Can't Remember Buying.

KuReshtin
2009-08-11, 08:40 AM
Should be able to (actually this time) make it if it's not on the 5th of Dec. If it's in November, I may actually be in Edinburgh (fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed) anyway so that would be easier than coming up from Oxford (which would still be doable). Now, all I need is to figure out how to explain meeting up with what my friends would describe as 'scary internet people' without sounding weird! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also I have Zombies!!! if you want some extra, well, zombies...
(No idea how to play Fluxx or Nuclear War, though).

If you're in Edinburgh, at that time, I'd be able to give you a lift. That is if you could get through to Glasgow, and wouldn't mind going down on the Friday and coming back up on the Sunday.

Also, 'Scary Internet People'?

This lot?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/eldpollard/GitP%20meet%20up%202009/DSCF0219.jpg

Eldpollard
2009-08-11, 04:00 PM
If you're in Edinburgh, at that time, I'd be able to give you a lift. That is if you could get through to Glasgow, and wouldn't mind going down on the Friday and coming back up on the Sunday.

This lot?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/eldpollard/GitP%20meet%20up%202009/DSCF0219.jpg

Well to be fair I do have red demonic eyes in that picture. And I'm rather off putting...

And headless Ninja? Fluxx is the easiest game ever to learn. The rules are on the table as you play. It also comes in Monty Python and Stoner varieties.

EDIT: I'm also actually that small.

eidreff
2009-08-11, 04:16 PM
I am determined to come to this one. I will no longer be shackled to work and booking leave, and its within a stones throw of home! The East Coast Main Line train services are reasonably regular and not over priced it you book in advance, or drop on their special offers. You can also end up with cheap accommodation on some of their deals (usually travelodge).

TheBibliophile
2009-08-11, 04:23 PM
'Fraid I can't come. I live in Scotland, and am too young to come on my own to boot.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 04:30 PM
If people need a "bed", the York St. John university library is open 24/7, and some of the chairs are pretty comfy.

Although on reflection, perhaps that's not the best plan (sorry I can't offer any room myself, but I live in student housing with violent druggies, so my place isn't the most conducive to a good night's sleep).

Also, the missus would like to know if anyone will be bringing Fluxx, because she's apparently a fan (read. jumping on the bed because she has an excuse to play it :smallbiggrin:).

Eldpollard
2009-08-11, 04:44 PM
If people need a "bed", the York St. John university library is open 24/7, and some of the chairs are pretty comfy.

Although on reflection, perhaps that's not the best plan (sorry I can't offer any room myself, but I live in student housing with violent druggies, so my place isn't the most conducive to a good night's sleep).

Also, the missus would like to know if anyone will be bringing Fluxx, because she's apparently a fan (read. jumping on the bed because she has an excuse to play it :smallbiggrin:).
I have Monty Python fluxx. Which I was going to bring to the last meet-up and promptly forgot. I did remember my many, many versions of munchkin though. I think I have seven.

littlebottom
2009-08-11, 05:04 PM
there seems to be issues with were the meet up is going to be hosted... why not cut it in the middle? Birmingham? on secondthoughts...tis a silly place [/python quote]

Archonic Energy
2009-08-11, 05:36 PM
there seems to be issues with were the meet up is going to be hosted... why not cut it in the middle? Birmingham? on secondthoughts...tis a silly place [/python quote]

no issues just a old joke between LR33 & myself.
although there will be one in London... someday...

KuReshtin
2009-08-11, 05:36 PM

Nope. I'd say that there are very few issues with where it's being hosted.

Unless someone else wants to offer the same organisation responsibilities that LR_33 has done and start up a rival UKitP faction that organises a meet somewhere other than York.

I for one will go to York.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-11, 05:37 PM
no issues just a old joke between LR33 & myself.
although there will be one in London... someday...

Of course there will....:smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2009-08-11, 05:52 PM
Nope. I'd say that there are very few issues with where it's being hosted.

Unless someone else wants to offer the same organisation responsibilities that LR_33 has done and start up a rival UKitP faction that organises a meet somewhere other than York.

I for one will go to York.

You realise of course that h=this means war. In all seriousnesss, York is a great place for a meet-up. But a rival faction does sound like fun. Stupid, yet fun.
I'm still impressed with LR33's organisation skills. He can make people on the internet agree.

Last_resort_33
2009-08-11, 07:05 PM
I'm still impressed with LR33's organisation skills. He can make people on the internet agree.

It's less organisation than deciding things and arranging them so people don't have a choice to make other that whether to turn up or not.

I have changed the title to United Kingdom Meetup as every time I saw the previous UKitP, I kept seeing UKIP.

Anyway... yeah...

KuReshtin
2009-08-12, 02:27 AM
It's less organisation than deciding things and arranging them so people don't have a choice to make other that whether to turn up or not.

This is a very good idea.
I believe the same tactic was used for the Peterborough meet where a few executive decisions were made to first set the location, and later even the date.

Seems to work reasonably well, at least.

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-12, 07:34 AM

That would be great; would have to let you know nearer the time though, so if other people need lifts don't prioritise me over them.

This lot?

ARGH!

(Joking).

Really hope I can make it this time, I'd love to actually meet some of you folks!

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 08:14 AM
This lot?

Who's the one who came straight there from the country club?

Last_resort_33
2009-08-12, 08:31 AM
Who's the one who came straight there from the country club?

Glug's Brother... Not actually on the forums, but likes to play games.

Archonic Energy
2009-08-12, 08:49 AM
Glug's Brother... Not actually on the forums, but likes to play games.

looked a bit dodgey to me... too much like a merchant banker or some other job that pays too well for what they do Data Centre Tech

Last_resort_33
2009-08-12, 09:04 AM
looked a bit dodgey to me... too much like a merchant banker or some other job that pays too well for what they do Data Centre Tech

He's a Student.... That's not a yes and it's not a no.

Wait... I deal with data centre techs... they take weeks to do ANYTHING... either you are a very lucky tech, or all techs are lazy liars... you choose!

Castaras
2009-08-14, 02:44 PM
Depending on which of those weeks it is (I can't remember when my christmas performance is...:smalleek:), I'll definitely be bugging Lensman to drag us along. :smalltongue:

Lensman
2009-08-15, 05:07 AM
Help! I'm being bugged!

Subject to minor details like reality, count in me and Castaras. I might even get round to running another Star Wars session, but no guarantees at this stage.

(We were on holiday - near York - for the last UKitP in Peterborough. We'll be home - near Peterborough - in time for the Xmas meet-up - in York. This sums up the natural cussedness of the Universe.)

KuReshtin
2009-08-20, 06:51 AM
*points at random point on the wall*
Look over there, everyone! An unsubtle bump!

Project_Mayhem
2009-08-20, 03:55 PM
This sounds most interesting. I'm a maybe I guess, as I don't know exactly where I'll be then.

No problem if I'm in York at the time, 'cause I have a house there by the Uni.

I've never been to one of these before, but my curiosity has certainly been piqued

Lensman
2009-08-29, 03:19 AM
This sounds most interesting. I'm a maybe I guess, as I don't know exactly where I'll be then.

No problem if I'm in York at the time, 'cause I have a house there by the Uni.

I've never been to one of these before, but my curiosity has certainly been piqued

You'd be very welcome - there'll be a variety of games running, so the odds are you'll spend the meetup being hacked and slashed in the D&D game, shot by blaster pistols in the star wars game, and nuked into cinders in the nuclear war game. It's fun... :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2009-09-03, 02:34 PM
*aims stealth fighter at lensman* oh hai, it's a bump.

KuReshtin
2009-09-04, 02:02 AM
You'd be very welcome - there'll be a variety of games running, so the odds are you'll spend the meetup being hacked and slashed in the D&D game, shot by blaster pistols in the star wars game, and nuked into cinders in the nuclear war game. It's fun... :smallbiggrin:

So you're running another Star Wars scenario, then? I'm in!

*aims stealth fighter at lensman* oh hai, it's a bump.

Cassie, Cassie, Cassie... You can't tell him you're aiming the Stealth fighter at him. That way he knows it's coming. That's the whole point of the Stealth Fighter.

Best opening round ever in a game of Nuke wars:

I start (since I own the game). I flip up a 100 Megaton warhead. Everyone around the table starts sniggering and telling me that I'ms stupid for forgetting what down cards I've played on the very first turn of the game.
I then play the Stealth bomber from my hand. Sniggering around the table stops.
I spin the wheel of death. Double damage. I roll the Nuclear misfunction dice. Additional 4M dead.
First round, first move. One guy is down 54M population, and war is declared. All others around the table groan as they have a load of propaganda cards that are now totally useless for the next two rounds while I've already got another strike set up in the shoot. :)

Of course, that made everyone else gang up on me and killed me in the 5th round or so..

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-04, 09:19 AM
i may actually attend

if i do attend, and hospitality can be provided (for which you shall be paid in cake/karma/internetz), i'd be willing to fill my car with londoners

but of course this depends on if im free/not poor/not on tour at the time

any idea date-wise what it will be

The_Librarian
2009-09-07, 02:27 PM
I'm hoping to attend :smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2009-09-07, 03:06 PM
i may actually attend

I think that phrase is cursed. People using those exact words always mysteriously vanish before the meeting. Never to be seen again. Until a doppleganger takes their place and posts...

"Pics or it didn't happen."

And we post pics, we post them out of fear that the being that wasn't there may somehow be able to reverse the meeting from ever having taken place. Who know how many meet ups we may have had that became erased due to no one bringing a camera?... If you can't remember a weekend of your life, chances are you may have been at a meetup that never happened.

Bring a camera. Bring a camera and attend!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-07, 03:15 PM
Seeing as I'll be upcountry then I could make it.
28th is the best time for me as I've actually got to remove myself (and eight weeks worth of luggage) from my accomodation on the fifth of December and go home.
Now, while I'd certainly try to come if it was the fifth the luggage issue would be immense as I'd either have to find some way to ship my stuff home or cadge a really willing lift of of someone.
The twelfth is almost certainly right out. So the twenty eighth is best for me as I'll even have money for the train. I may come if it's the fifth, but that's unlikely.

Aubit
2009-09-08, 07:04 AM
Hi everyone :)

Have been a big fan of the Comic for a very long time, but never really go on the forums, and thought I would take a look...low and behold a meetup not that far away from me ;)

My wife and I are both big fans, and both do roleplaying and gaming style things as well, we are based in Nottingham, but keep on planning to go over to York, so this sounds like a good excuse to go :D

Will keep an eye on the thread and if we are able to make it when the dates are finalised hopefully may meet up with some new friends/random strangers.

/Aubit

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 07:13 AM
I think any of those days should be fine (so long as they're on a weekend?). Will need to find a way down from Aberdeen, though...

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 07:16 AM
I think any of those days should be fine (so long as they're on a weekend?). Will need to find a way down from Aberdeen, though...

Well you could walk it if you start now :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, I still have nothing useful to contribute.

Kantur
2009-09-09, 07:23 AM

If you can get through to Glasgow easily enough, it might be worth talking to KuReshtin about times and availability of seats in his car.

As for myself, it'll depend a lot on available cash closer to the time and workload.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-09, 07:23 AM
Once again, count me in for "tentatively might be coming depending on how my bank balance is looking at the time".

Castaras
2009-09-09, 11:39 AM
For me and Lensman, it's a "Depends". My performance dates are are 2nd - 5th, so I can't do the 5th. I have a dress rehearsal on the 29th, so 28th would be doable, if a tad iffy. 12th would be okay, methinks, unless Lensman says otherwise.

KuReshtin
2009-09-09, 12:54 PM
If you can get through to Glasgow easily enough, it might be worth talking to KuReshtin about times and availability of seats in his car.

This is true. At the moment, I'm checking to see if one of my co-workers is up for travelling down to the meet, however if he doesn't feel like it, I'll have three seats available for others, possibly four if people don't mind being a bit cramped in the back seat.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 03:04 PM
Thanks, might take you up on that. The necessity of a lift would depend on what day it's on, though. Also, speaking of bank balances and the like, how much do we think this is likely to cost (on average)? I'm useless with money...

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 03:07 PM
Thanks, might take you up on that. The necessity of a lift would depend on what day it's on, though. Also, speaking of bank balances and the like, how much do we think this is likely to cost (on average)? I'm useless with money...

Depends on how much you want to eat/drink/do in York. As for the venue, I have no idea (not organising it), the Birmingham meetup cost less than a fiver/head if I recall right. But I might be wrong, it was a while ago.

KuReshtin
2009-09-09, 03:46 PM

The more people I get in the car on the way there, the less the cost of petrol sharing will be for everyone tagging along.

The plan will be to go down on the Friday and then go back up on the Sunday, so that means two nights in a hotel that you need to budget for.
Usually, there are Holiday Inns, Etaps or Travelodges that won't stretch the budget too much, especially if you can find someone to share a room with.

I'd venture a guess at saying that if you find someone to share a room with for two nights, you could get away with about £45 for the hotel room and if I can get four people (including myself) in the car on the way down, the share of petrol money would be between £20-25 each.

So, £65-70 for the travel and accomodation (plus travel costs from where you are to Glasgow) plus food and beverages.

That's a very rough estimate, though.
It might sound like a lot, but it's well worth it.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 03:53 PM
Damn, forgot about accommodation. Believe it cost me £20 for a night sharing a Travelodge room with someone.

KuReshtin
2009-09-09, 04:04 PM
Damn, forgot about accommodation. Believe it cost me £20 for a night sharing a Travelodge room with someone.

Sounds about right. Travelodges are about £45/night/room, and for the Scottish contingent, we'd require two nights worth of accomodation, which is why I said that it'd be about £45 for the acconodation. That's a total for the while weekend.
Of course, there are some hotels where you can cram in three people in a room, which would get the cost down to about £30 for two nights. Might be a bit much to hope for, though.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 04:57 PM
Thanks for giving me an idea, folks. Sounds doable, even factoring in extra Elan tax, provided I actually budget. And it sounds like it would be great fun, too!

Thufir
2009-09-15, 10:08 AM
You know what I think is one of the problems with organising these meetups? We sort everything out pretty quickly, except for a couple of things which need to be done nearer the time, with still a couple of months to go.
Then, by the time the meetup actually happens, most of the people have forgotten about it.
And the ones who remember are like "Well, I should remind everyone, but I don't want to just bump the thread without adding anything to the discussion, but if I leave it too long it'll be thread necromancy and GAH."
I'd say that was one of the significant issues with the meetup that never actually happened.

Or, to rephrase my random thoughts: *Bumps the thread*

Darius Midnite
2009-09-15, 01:36 PM
Might just take a ship from Denmark to come visit. :smalltongue: Sounds like a blast.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 02:08 PM
Oh, people always threaten to come, but they often don't; especially if it means coing to Britland for a bit.
Still, I hope you do come; it'd be fun.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 03:07 PM
Oh, people always threaten to come, but they often don't; especially if it means coing to Britland for a bit.
Still, I hope you do come; it'd be fun.

Just done a rough tally thingy and we have the following:

Venue:
Unknown

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE (almost certainly)
Lorn
Glug
Kobold-bard (+ girlfriend)
eidreff
Charity?????

Almost certainly coming or has given dates
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Thufir
HeadlessNinja (asking lift from Kureshtin)
Curly

Possibly coming
Myshlaevsky (asking lift from Kureshtin)
Eggy
Project Mayhem
xPancakex
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Lensman + Cassie (depending on dates)

Not likely, but may make a great effort
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -
28th Nov: Kureshtin, Myshlaevsky (seeing as he's asked a lift from Ku), Thufir, Curly, Lensman + Cassie (a bit iffy), Lorn (preferred date, though not minding later)
5th Dec: Kureshtin, Myshlaevsky (ditto), Thufir
12th Dec: Lensman + Cassie

Any date or haven't given any problematic ones -
Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja

Lift Seekers
Headless Ninja: Aberdeen - York (sorted? Please notify)
Myshlaevsky: Scotland - York (sort? Please notify)

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available - Headless Ninja, possibly Mysklaesky and guest
LR33 (shuttle runner from Leeds station)
Charity ((ASSUMING THIS ONLY AS HE'S BEEN TO MOST OF THEM AND OFFERS LIFTS)) - AE tends to have a seat.

Seeking accomdation/sharing accomdation (?) due to being an impoverished student
Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn

Accomdation Offerers/Finders
Kobold-bard (depending on whether or not he gets his setee back)
LR33 (?)

Seems that the 28th is the most popular one for now. Any corrections, changes?

Lorn
2009-09-15, 03:14 PM
Just done a rough tally thingy and we have the following:

Venue:
Unknown

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE (almost certainly)
Lorn?
Glug
eidreff
Charity?????

Lorn?
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Thufir
Curly

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
xPancakex
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Lensman + Cassie (depending on dates)

The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -
28th Nov: Kureshtin, Myshlaevsky (seeing as he's asked a lift from Ku), Thufir, Curly, Lensman + Cassie (a bit iffy)

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available - Headless Ninja, possibly Mysklaesky and guest

Seeking accomdation/sharing accomdation (?) due to being an impoverished student
Thufir
xPancakex
Curly

Seems that the 28th is the most popular one for now. Any corrections, changes?
Should definitely be able to make the 28th, unless something goes horribly wrong and I lack money. Same for the other dates. Not hugely bothered which ones end up happening, although later might be slightly beneficial... TORM is the weekend before and I needs me some shinies >.>

Also - if there's anyone offering a floor to sleep on or something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-15, 03:20 PM
I may be able to offer a couch for the night, circumstances depending (such as the pot-head upstairs and his friends bringing it back into the living room :smallyuk:).

So don't rely on me, but closer to the time if someone still needs somewhere to stay feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 05:34 PM
Edited information into the post.

KuReshtin
2009-09-16, 02:16 AM
Very good summary of info there, Curly.

As soon as we geta definite date, I'll verify whether or not my co-worker tags along or not, and that should clear things up a bit regarding the number of seats I have available in the car.

You can shift me over to the "Definites" list, though, as I've specifically saved one day of my holidays to be taken on the Friday so I can go down south.

Last_resort_33
2009-09-16, 04:18 AM
Fine... It's on the 12th of December... There ya go.

I'll get us a venue then... I'm thinking Black Swan... It's an old pub with wonky, creaky stairs, and the function room has a fireplace and IIRC a breastplate hanging on the wall. It's not the cheapest for beer, but again IIRC it does do ales and stuff... we'll likely head to somewhere cheaper for any heavy drinking...

I'll sort that out... York is small enough that for any arrangements you make, you can assume it's sorted and is somehwhere in York city centre (it's only like a mile across) on the 12th of December.

KuReshtin
2009-09-16, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the specification of the date, LR_33. Good executive decision.

Having checked hotels for that weekend, it looks as if the hotel accommodation will be a bit more than previously mentioned in the thread.

Holiday Inn Express (YO32 9TE) has a rate of £59.50/room/night if you pre-book them. That's about 5 miles away from York City centre according to their website.

Premier Inn (YO23 3PP - South West of York) has a rate of £63/room/night and are about 5 miles from York City centre as well.

Premier Inn (YO26 6RL - North west of York) has a rate of £65/room/night and is located about 4 miles from York CCity centre.

Those prices are for Twin rooms and them's the cheapest prices I can find around York. At least for hotels that aren't located in Leeds or 25 miles from York, that is.

zombie chick
2009-09-16, 06:37 AM
hi all, its been a while since i posted on one of these threads, been sticking to lurking mostly.
but would be great to go to one of the meetups again, i can personally vouch these are an excellent way to spend time with forumers and play games.

hmm just checked the dates, i do have a concert on the 12th, so possibly could come in the afternoon, drive back, then come to the sunday games as well? bit of a tight schedule but ive done worse before :smallsmile:
so if you could keep me posted Last Resort on the times etc

All being well hope to see you all again

Archonic Energy
2009-09-16, 07:13 AM
I think that phrase is cursed. People using those exact words always mysteriously vanish before the meeting. Never to be seen again. Until a doppleganger takes their place and posts...

"Pics or it didn't happen."

And we post pics, we post them out of fear that the being that wasn't there may somehow be able to reverse the meeting from ever having taken place. Who know how many meet ups we may have had that became erased due to no one bringing a camera?... If you can't remember a weekend of your life, chances are you may have been at a meetup that never happened.

Bring a camera. Bring a camera and attend!

at least 1...

KuReshtin
2009-09-16, 07:29 AM
... then come to the sunday games as well?

We're doing SUnday games this time?
Did I miss that being mentioned?

I'm pretty sure that it's a one-day deal with the Saturday being the time for games, and the Sunday being the time ofr recovery and trying to get back to train stations and stuff.

Last_resort_33
2009-09-16, 07:42 AM
I said maybe... Like a game of flux or something after breakfast to try to ressurect consiousness, without the needs for 5 grand worth of diamonds.

Thufir
2009-09-16, 10:19 AM
Wait. Wait wait wait.
Seems that the 28th is the most popular one for now.
Fine... It's on the 12th of December... There ya go.

There seems to be a slight hole in the logical process between these two quotes...

Last_resort_33
2009-09-16, 10:33 AM
Wait. Wait wait wait.

There seems to be a slight hole in the logical process between these two quotes...

It's marginally easier for me... of course this will be dependant on what the venue has available.

Thufir
2009-09-16, 10:48 AM
Marginally easier for you vs. some people can't do it at all? Seems a little unfair.

Totally Guy
2009-09-16, 11:33 AM
Marginally easier for you vs. some people can't do it at all? Seems a little unfair.

I've noticed that the more effort that is made to ensure everybody is happy is inversely proportional to the gathering size.

Those playgrounders that attend the USA meetups are really good at getting on with it. It seriously puts us to shame.

LR33 has ace organisational powers. He got more people to attend an event called Naked Maze Night than I managed to get to the last meetup, and I was trying please everyone.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-16, 12:48 PM
UPDATED!

Venue:
Black Swan (may change depending on what LR33 finds out)

Date:
12th December

Peoples Coming or Expresing Interest
Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE (almost certainly, but again, Charity?????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Charity?????

Thufir
Curly
zombiechick
Lensman + Cassie (depending on dates) (moved up due to date information)

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
xPancakex
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma

The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Dates (subject to removal when quibble is sorted
Preferred dates -
28th Nov: Kureshtin, Myshlaevsky (seeing as he's asked a lift from Ku), Thufir, Curly, Lensman + Cassie (a bit iffy), Lorn (preferred date, though not minding later)

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja

Lift Seekers

Lift Offerers
Charity ((ASSUMING THIS ONLY AS HE'S BEEN TO MOST OF THEM AND OFFERS LIFTS)) - AE tends to have a seat.

Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn

LR33 (?)

Useful information about room bookings and prices. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6938476&postcount=84)

I'll still try to make this, I'll be more able to make the 12th than I thought, but I'd still rather have the earlier date. But I want to make this, so I'll spend the extra money on train fares if necessary.
If not, I'll still keep the information updated as to numbers etc.

So far, numbers running from Almost Certainly Coming to Definite is eighteen people, including LR33's possible guest. Twenty seven including the Possibles.
However, if anyone wants to change their status, say so please.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-16, 06:45 PM
Oo! I will soon be an impoverished student too, so it would be nice if I could share a room? (if there's anyone willing to put up with my sleep-babbling).

KuReshtin
2009-09-29, 07:20 AM
Oo! I will soon be an impoverished student too, so it would be nice if I could share a room? (if there's anyone willing to put up with my sleep-babbling).

I'm pretty sure that a whole lot of people will be interested in sharing a room (which is why I loked up the prices for twin rooms).

I'll be looking to share a room to cut down on my costs a bit as well.

LR_33, how's it ook on the booking of the venue, front?

Megatron46
2009-09-29, 10:11 AM
I alas, will not be able to come although I hope you all have a bloody good time!

Dr. Bath
2009-09-29, 10:31 AM
Heeey. How'd I miss this? I should be able to make any of those dates so long as it's decided asap (cheap trains see :smallwink:). If there is a spare floor about I am happy to occupy it with my inert sleepingbag wrapped form, but booking a room (to share) doesn't seem out of the question.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-29, 10:40 AM
UPDATED!

Venue:
Black Swan (may change depending on what LR33 finds out) in York.

Date:
12th December

Peoples Coming or Expressing Interest
Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE (+ Charity?????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Charity?????

Thufir
Curly
zombiechick
Dr. Bath

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
xPancakex
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma

The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE (+ Charity????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja
Dr. Bath

Lift Seekers
Potentially AE depending on Charity

Lift Offerers

Seeking accomdation/sharing accomdation (?) due to being an impoverished student OR OTHER
Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn
Headless_Ninja
Dr. Bath

LR33 (?)

Useful information about room bookings and prices. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6938476&postcount=84)

So far, numbers running from Almost Certainly Coming to Definite is nineteen people, including LR33's possible guest. Twenty eight including the Possibles.
However, if anyone wants to change their status, say so please.

You know what I've just realised?
I'm a girl.
Most of the people going are not.
ANY GIRLS WANT TO SHARE ACCOMODATION? Or something?

Nameless
2009-09-29, 10:45 AM
Where are you guys actually meeting up? :smallconfused:

Archonic Energy
2009-09-29, 10:50 AM

Istanbul... :smalltongue:
London...
*hides from LR33*

on a more serious note it'll be in York. hence why Headless & Ku are heading from "Scotland" to York

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-29, 11:01 AM

*points at post*
That was there all the time. From the moment I edited it in.

@AE: You definitely coming? And getting a lift with Charity?

Archonic Energy
2009-09-29, 11:23 AM
*points at post*
That was there all the time. From the moment I edited it in.

@AE: You definitely coming? And getting a lift with Charity?

barring national emergency...

as for C, I'm not sure. i'll ask him next time he's on FB.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-29, 11:26 AM
Information edited as far as this post.

Nameless
2009-09-29, 11:30 AM
Istanbul... :smalltongue:
London...
*hides from LR33*

on a more serious note it'll be in York. hence why Headless & Ku are heading from "Scotland" to York

London? That's like, where I live. :smallbiggrin:
I might be able to come if I'm not too scared.

Totally Guy
2009-09-29, 11:47 AM
London? That's like, where I live. :smallbiggrin:
I might be able to come if I'm not too scared.

No, it's in York.

AE just thinks it's hilarious to tell people it's in London. When it finally does get to be London's turn everybody will probably think he's kidding and go somewere else.

The_Librarian
2009-09-29, 12:29 PM
Oh sweet, there are dates and locations now!

I need to check my calendar (which I keep in work... I'm starting to see flaws in doing that).

I'm really hopeful though :)

Archonic Energy
2009-09-30, 03:31 AM
No, it's in York.

AE just thinks it's hilarious to tell people it's in London. When it finally does get to be London's turn everybody will probably think he's kidding and go somewere else.

:smallsigh:

it's not like i didn't tell him the actual location... Nameless even quoted it!

Totally Guy
2009-09-30, 03:44 AM

Oh yeah, so you did.

Dr. Bath
2009-09-30, 04:24 AM

This is the internet, longer than two lines is tl;dr. :smalltongue:

How far is york from Manchester, anyway? Is it worth going by some kind of coach to save money?

Dihan
2009-09-30, 04:39 AM
Assuming you're still in uni at that date then it'll probably be around 90 minutes. Maybe more or less depending on the traffic.

It would take about 3 hours for me but I probably won't go anyway.

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-30, 11:37 AM
I've moved to Edinburgh by now and am in pretty dire financial straits. Whether I can come or not is going to be pretty situational, so I won't be able to say until nearer the time.

Nonetheless, as of this moment I do intend to come, hopefully by getting the bus through to Glasgow and meeting with Kuretshin (and Headless Ninja, yeah?) for a lift.

I'll post again when I know for definite but that may not be for some time - possibly months.

KuReshtin
2009-09-30, 05:12 PM
Myshlaevsky and Headless Ninja have their seats booked in my car if they want them.
At the moment, it seems as if my friend will not be able to make it, so that frees up another seat in the car.

Last_resort_33
2009-10-02, 05:58 AM
How far is york from Manchester, anyway? Is it worth going by some kind of coach to save money?

If you're in London (like your user details suggest) Then you can get a coach from Victoria to Leeds for like £10, return Leeds is 20 miles ish from York, but I do that drive every day, so if you arrived early in Leeds, I could pick you up, or you could take a ~£10 return rail ticket to York

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-02, 09:01 AM
UPDATED!

Venue:
Black Swan (may change depending on what LR33 finds out) in York.

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)

Thufir
Curly
zombiechick
Dr. Bath

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
xPancakex
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Charity

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE (+ Charity????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja
Dr. Bath

Lift Seekers
Headless Ninja: Aberdeen - York booked in with Kureshtin - please PM him to sort things out
Myshlaevsky: Scotland - York booked in with Kureshtin - please PM him to sort things out
Potentially AE, but he hasn't said anything yet.

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available - Headless Ninja and Mysklaesky booked in.
[[Charity removed due to being downgraded to Possible. Again, if anything changes, I'll change his status]]

Seeking accomdation/sharing accomdation (?) due to being an impoverished student OR OTHER
Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn
Headless_Ninja
Dr. Bath

LR33 (?)

Again, if anything changes I'll update the list.
Oddly, it seems I've become the arranger for many things, so either PM me with changes to status, offers of accomdation or lifts etc. or post in the thread.

Headless_Ninja
2009-10-03, 10:30 AM
Wow, I'm even more of an impoverished student than I'd thought. Should probably be able to make it, but can't say for definite, especially as I may have some form of exam the week after the event.

Castaras
2009-10-07, 10:16 AM
subtle bump

hi.

maybe not so subtle, but oh well

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-13, 10:43 AM
. . .

*poke*
*pokepoke*
*pokepokepokepokepoke*

People, this thread has been bumped.

Anyone have anything they wish to say/add?
LR33?
Anyone?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-13, 10:50 AM
. . .

*poke*
*pokepoke*
*pokepokepokepokepoke*

People, this thread has been bumped.

Anyone have anything they wish to say/add?
LR33?
Anyone?

People seem to like your avatars in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128012&page=3). Nothing really to say on topic. Might visit the Black Swan tomorrow.

Archonic Energy
2009-10-14, 10:47 AM
any gamemasters running anything?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-14, 10:59 AM
any gamemasters running anything?

If I get the Rogue Trader book before then I could be convinced to break it in at the meet-up. Otherwise, no.

Some games are talked about on the previous pages though.

Dr. Bath
2009-10-14, 11:05 AM
I would be super up for some Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy/Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

I may or may not be able to bring Thud! but that's basically odd chess, so not really a meetup sorta game.

JellyPooga
2009-10-14, 12:02 PM
I'm a bit of a lurker here in FB (my usual haunts are over in Gaming and Media), but I've always been intrigued by the concept of a meetup. As it happens, a friend of mine has invited me and a few others to visit him in York some point before christmas (date as yet unspecified), so if the dates coincide somewhat (i.e. within a few days of one-another), I may pop my head round the door if there's room for one more (and I might drag my mate with me...he only moved there recently and has been struggling to meet people since he moved).

If I do turn up, I won't need accomodation or lifts as I can stay with my buddy in York.

Eldpollard
2009-10-14, 03:48 PM
Well I pretty much haven't posted since the last meet-up. Oh well! If everything's still fine and it's still the 28th, I'll still be making it.
As for accommodation. I can either room-share with someone or I may try and get home at a strange time of night. Come to think, sharing a hotel room sounds far wiser. I'm willing to share with anyone.

Dr. Bath
2009-10-14, 05:37 PM
Looking at train tickets it shouldn't be too expensive, so long as a date is decided soonish. Is it the 28th? I got the feeling that that would be the best day for the majority.

Is the pub place booked up/checked/whatever yet? I just feel that with it fast approaching a month to go we should really cement what's happening. For better or worse. :smalltongue:

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-14, 05:59 PM
tentative info update

i can do the 12th - unless tour dates change

FOR LONDON/SOUTHERN TYPES

if i can get a car-full of people from london to chip in for gas money i will drive from LONDON (read: from near my home. You get yourself to my local tube at a likely-to-be-ungodly hour. I'll pick you up from there.) We'll drive up. If you don't live too far out of the way, an en route pick up MAY be arranged

If someone could provide a floorspace (seriously, im not fussy. As long as your house ain't infested with bugs i'll bring a sleeping bag :smallwink:) either in york or en route to the south that would be dandy, else we'll drive back down to london same night.

please not this is all tentative due to my work and touring schedual

this service, if it happens, will be run on a first come/best bribe basis. My driving license is printed in Abyssal... suck it up :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-10-14, 06:42 PM
Looking at train tickets it shouldn't be too expensive, so long as a date is decided soonish. Is it the 28th? I got the feeling that that would be the best day for the majority.

Is the pub place booked up/checked/whatever yet? I just feel that with it fast approaching a month to go we should really cement what's happening. For better or worse. :smalltongue:

LR33 said the 12th, as that's most convenient for him, I questioned it since some people couldn't do it at all, he said it'd also depend on what the venue had available.

This was... almost a month ago.

Archonic Energy
2009-10-15, 04:51 AM
tentative info update

i can do the 12th - unless tour dates change

FOR LONDON/SOUTHERN TYPES

if i can get a car-full of people from london to chip in for gas money i will drive from LONDON (read: from near my home. You get yourself to my local tube at a likely-to-be-ungodly hour. I'll pick you up from there.) We'll drive up. If you don't live too far out of the way, an en route pick up MAY be arranged

If someone could provide a floorspace (seriously, im not fussy. As long as your house ain't infested with bugs i'll bring a sleeping bag :smallwink:) either in york or en route to the south that would be dandy, else we'll drive back down to london same night.

please not this is all tentative due to my work and touring schedual

this service, if it happens, will be run on a first come/best bribe basis. My driving license is printed in Abyssal... suck it up :smallbiggrin:

questions.
how ungodly?
which tube station?

KuReshtin
2009-10-16, 02:51 AM
LR33 said the 12th, as that's most convenient for him, I questioned it since some people couldn't do it at all, he said it'd also depend on what the venue had available.

This was... almost a month ago.

The date of the 12th is the date the event will take place.
What I understood from what LR33 said was that he'll check with the Black Swan to see if they can accomodate us, else he would check another venue.

I will book a room for the 12th very shortly (possibly even this weekend).

I will be looking for someone to share the cost of the room, at least for the Saturday night.
Curly, can you update the info to reflect that, please?

Edit: Also, on the subject of Games to be run.. Cassie, start nagging Lensman about you guys coming along, and for him to sort out a Star Wars adventure for the meet, please?

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-16, 05:39 AM
The date of the 12th is the date the event will take place.
What I understood from what LR33 said was that he'll check with the Black Swan to see if they can accomodate us, else he would check another venue.

I will book a room for the 12th very shortly (possibly even this weekend).

I will be looking for someone to share the cost of the room, at least for the Saturday night.
Curly, can you update the info to reflect that, please?

Edit: Also, on the subject of Games to be run.. Cassie, start nagging Lensman about you guys coming along, and for him to sort out a Star Wars adventure for the meet, please?

Cranky. :smalltongue: One update coming up!
I'll even put in the Game RUnners (and Games) as well as Requested Games. Because I wub you all so bery much.

KuReshtin
2009-10-16, 05:46 AM
Cranky. :smalltongue:
Cranky? I even used 'please' in my request. You haven't seen me cranky. And trust me. You wouldn't like me when I'm cranky. :smalltongue:

One update coming up!
I'll even put in the Game Runners (and Games) as well as Requested Games. Because I wub you all so bery much.

Thank you... :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-16, 06:13 AM
UPDATED! With all new information and sections!

Venue:
Black Swan (http://www.blackswanyork.co.uk/) (may change depending on what LR33 finds out) in York.
Position of pub in relation to everything else. It's only about three - quarters a mile away from York Railway Station, so walking is definitely possible. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB251GB251&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12094851349915660931&fb=1&hq=black+swan&hnear=york&gl=uk&daddr=23+Peaseholme+Green,+York&geocode=18124124647173044727,53.960907,-1.074836&ei=107YSvn8NdKt4QbOsvjzCA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQngIwAA)

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)

Thufir
Curly
zombiechick
Dr. Bath
JellyPooga
xPancakex

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Charity

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE (+ Charity????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja
Dr. Bath

Lift Seekers
Headless Ninja: Aberdeen - York booked in with Kureshtin - please PM him to sort things out
Myshlaevsky: Scotland - York booked in with Kureshtin - please PM him to sort things out

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available - Headless Ninja and Mysklaesky booked in.
xPancakex from London. AE has a place booked unless either says otherwise. Provisionally, I'd say that's three open seats unless otherwise stated
[[Charity removed due to being downgraded to Possible. Again, if anything changes, I'll change his status]]

Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn
Headless_Ninja
Dr. Bath

LR33 (?)

Game Runners (and Games)
Fluxx (Python version) (Eldpollard – if he remembers)
Munchkin (Eldpollard)
Star Wars session (Lensman – possibly)
Mouse Guard (Glug) (possibly)

Games Requested/Games Being Brought (if someone outright says they’ll run a game it gets promoted)
Zombies! (HeadlessNinja)
Nuke Wars (KuReshtin)
Rogue Trader (Myslaevsky)
Thud! (Bath) (possibly)

Oddly, it seems I've become the arranger for many things, so either PM me with changes to status, offers of accomdation or lifts etc. or post in the thread.
Please PM me or post in this thread with changes as I like to keep things neat and tidy. As it is I think I'm going to start PMing people who voiced interests with links to this post and the thread in general.
This also includes LR33. But it shouldn't.

Totally Guy
2009-10-16, 08:34 AM
Maybe I could run a session of Mouse Guard...

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-16, 09:04 AM
Updated as of this post.

Lensman
2009-10-16, 10:23 AM
Hi, all. Not posted for ages due to a savage attack of real life (12d20 damage, not blocked by any form of armour, and requires fortitude save against fatigue). All being well (assuming I survive real life) Castaras and I will be coming (that probably amounts to a threat). I do intend to run another Star Wars game - I'm assuming KuReshtin is in. Any other mugs?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-16, 10:29 AM
Hi, all. Not posted for ages due to a savage attack of real life (12d20 damage, not blocked by any form of armour, and requires fortitude save against fatigue). All being well (assuming I survive real life) Castaras and I will be coming (that probably amounts to a threat). I do intend to run another Star Wars game - I'm assuming KuReshtin is in. Any other mugs?

Dibs. That is all.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-16, 10:29 AM
questions.
how ungodly?
which tube station?

ungodly = time enough to drive up to the venue and not miss out on most of the day... london-york = 4/5 hours as long as theres only one stop break and not too much traffic. I've done london to hull in 4 and half with one stop so that will give you a rough idea

tube = on central line in north east (near stratford)

in addition:
my car has a strict "bring an ipod/sing along" policy

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-16, 12:57 PM
UPDATED! With all new information and sections! Because I wub you all so much.

Venue:
Black Swan (http://www.blackswanyork.co.uk/) (may change depending on what LR33 finds out) in York.
Position of pub in relation to everything else. It's only about three - quarters a mile away from York Railway Station, so walking is definitely possible. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB251GB251&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12094851349915660931&fb=1&hq=black+swan&hnear=york&gl=uk&daddr=23+Peaseholme+Green,+York&geocode=18124124647173044727,53.960907,-1.074836&ei=107YSvn8NdKt4QbOsvjzCA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQngIwAA)

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
AE
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Lensman + Cassie
Bath

Thufir
Curly
zombiechick
JellyPooga
xPancakex

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
The Librarian
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Charity

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Preferred dates -

Eldpollard
LR33 (+ guest?)
AE (+ Charity????)
Lorn
Glug
eidreff
Eggy
The Librarian
xPancakex
Project Mayhem
Headless Ninja
Dr. Bath

Lift Seekers

Lift Offerers
xPancakex from London. AE has a place booked unless either says otherwise. Provisionally, I'd say that's three open seats unless otherwise stated

Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn
Headless_Ninja
Dr. Bath

LR33 (?)

Game Runners (and Games)
Munchkin (Eldpollard) Players: xPancakex
Star Wars session (Lensman) Players: kobold-bard

Games Requested/Games Being Brought (if someone outright says they’ll run a game it gets promoted)
Zombies! (HeadlessNinja) Players: Pancake
Nuke Wars (KuReshtin)
Rogue Trader (Myslaevsky) (possibly)
Thud! (Bath) (possibly)
Space Munchkin (Pancake) (possibly)

Please PM me or post in this thread with changes as I like to keep things neat and tidy. As it is I think I'm going to start PMing people who voiced interests with links to this post and the thread in general.
This also includes LR33. But it shouldn't.

I HAVE MOVED PEOPLE AROUND UNDER THE 'PEOPLES COMING' SECTION, PLEASE CHECK THIS AND NOTIFY ME IF I MISSED YOU OR PUT YOU IN THE WRONG CATEGORY!

I will begin PMing people who are at least on the Possibly COming list if not higher with this post if they haven't posted this.
I may also tell people who expressed doubts of transport/whatever of available lifts and whatnot, and I will ASK THEM TO PM A LIFT OFFERRER. OR ASK FOR A LIFT IN THIS THREAD.
I THEREFORE ASK THAT ALL LIFT OFFERRERS/ACCOMODATION OFFERRERS CHECK THIS THREAD REGULALRY TO SORT THE LOGISTICS OUT!

Updated as of post #139

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-16, 01:10 PM
it may be worth lumping me into "Almost certainly" or "possibly" coming catagories as it will depend on work and touring (sorry guys, band takes priority)... but should i attend i'll DEFINATELY be down for some munchkin (i can bring space munchkin too if required) and zombies (if someone brings it)

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-16, 01:14 PM
Done! As soon as I finish this.

I believe I've PMd everyone who expressed likely interest or was interested in coming. Here's for updates and things eh?

Also, if LR33 doesn't come through in booking a venue (or posting here) in say, a fortnight, we should find someone else to book us a venue.
Would this be a good idea?
If anyone wants to take Secondary Venue Finder please say so and begin the hunt. Apologies for being a bit forward, but we don't want this meetup to collapse into a non - event again.

EDIT:

Last Info post is now updated as of this post.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-16, 02:47 PM
Just to clarify: If I have the Rogue Trader book by the meet-up, I will bring it. I do not currently have the book.

I don't own the DH and WFRP books anymore (lent them to a friend for the long-term) but I've DM'd and played both. I'm not sure what else I could bring, really. I might buy something I've never played before and take that down - I like the idea of trial by fire via the meet-up.

KuReshtin
2009-10-17, 02:21 PM
I do intend to run another Star Wars game - I'm assuming KuReshtin is in.

Hell yeah, I'm in on that. :smallcool: I'll bring my character sheet and all.

Oh, and I hope you're all right. And please don't die before the meetup, willya? :smallsmile:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-17, 06:08 PM
News!

I have heard back in PM form from both The Librarian and LR33!
Sadly, Librarian can't make it due to money issues, but she wishes us all the best of luck.

LR33 has found a venue that we could have for free, but only from five p.m. until midnight, so presumably we have to find another place to amuse ourselves until then.
But by next week he should have a definite answer.
He sends his apologies for sporadic update but his new job is "like stress, but only worse".

I go to update my INFO POST tomorrow.
Wait.
Later today.

Archonic Energy
2009-10-19, 06:00 AM
ungodly = time enough to drive up to the venue and not miss out on most of the day... london-york = 4/5 hours as long as theres only one stop break and not too much traffic. I've done london to hull in 4 and half with one stop so that will give you a rough idea
6/7... (i'd be leaving that early to get there by train)
we'll be there for about mid-day...
sounds do-able.

tube = on central line in north east (near stratford)
close enough... now i have to see how early i can get to stratford on a saturday!

i think i'll be taking you up on this offer... are you staying at a hotel, or going back to london in the evening?

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-19, 10:58 AM
6/7... (i'd be leaving that early to get there by train)
we'll be there for about mid-day...
sounds do-able.

close enough... now i have to see how early i can get to stratford on a saturday!

i think i'll be taking you up on this offer... are you staying at a hotel, or going back to london in the evening?

it will probably be a same-day job. But my car is comfortable enough for people to sleep in on the way home if worst comes to worst

i shall keep you informed if any problems (tour dates/work/family obligations) crop up to make things a no-go

Archonic Energy
2009-10-22, 05:45 AM
ATTENTION ALL!

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/saver_search.php?changeWeek=1&locpostText=YO32%209TE

apparently you can book a room for a tenner at travellodge for the next 4 days.
thought that would be good to know!

@ xPANx: in that case what time would you be considering leaving on the day?

Edit: though not at that travellodge.... GRRRRRR

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-24, 06:26 AM
OK, I'm Kobold-Bard's girlfriend, so I'm definately up for this. I do have one request though, as annoying as that might be. I have ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), and struggle with stairs a lot of the time, so it would be REALLY good if, once we're at the Black Swan, we kinda stayed there, as otherwise, I'd most likely end up getting mega worn out, and need walking home. :smalleek:

KuReshtin
2009-10-24, 09:33 AM
I'm booking a room at the York - Tadcaster Travelodge for Friday and Saturday night of the weekend we're there.

Anyone wanting to share, just give me a shout.

Eldpollard
2009-10-27, 01:58 PM
I'm booking a room at the York - Tadcaster Travelodge for Friday and Saturday night of the weekend we're there.

Anyone wanting to share, just give me a shout.

I may take you up on that offer. And by may, I mean I will. As public transport will have stopped by the time we finish and a taxi from York to Huddersfield (or near it) would probably come to more than a room.

KuReshtin
2009-10-29, 10:30 AM
I may take you up on that offer. And by may, I mean I will. As public transport will have stopped by the time we finish and a taxi from York to Huddersfield (or near it) would probably come to more than a room.

I take it that's just for the Saturday night, yeah?

Eldpollard
2009-10-29, 02:11 PM
I take it that's just for the Saturday night, yeah?

Yeah it will be. I live in Yorkshire so it's close enough not to need a second night.

KuReshtin
2009-11-02, 06:53 AM
Dropped off the first page again!

I'm all excited, and I'm going to bring along something that I think people will like a whole lot.

Totally Guy
2009-11-02, 08:41 AM
no chance of a hint?

Have you caught and tied up Rich? It that why there's been no updates?

Headless_Ninja
2009-11-02, 09:06 AM
Ok, I finally have the willpower to say this. I keep trying to drop out of the meetup, but everytime I try I decide that I really want to come. Well, I do, but I really don't think I can. I am a very, very impoverished student, and that weekend also turns out to be the time of a friend's 18th birthday party. I am very, very sorry to drop out with such short notice (and I really really really want to come!). Hope it's brilliant.

KuReshtin
2009-11-02, 09:32 AM
no chance of a hint?

Have you caught and tied up Rich? It that why there's been no updates?

I have not caught the Giant. I have something else sorted, though.

Ok, I finally have the willpower to say this. I keep trying to drop out of the meetup, but everytime I try I decide that I really want to come. Well, I do, but I really don't think I can. I am a very, very impoverished student, and that weekend also turns out to be the time of a friend's 18th birthday party. I am very, very sorry to drop out with such short notice (and I really really really want to come!). Hope it's brilliant.

Not to worry. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want it to.
Maybe next time.

Archonic Energy
2009-11-02, 10:49 AM
Not to worry. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want it to.
Maybe next time.

speaking of which. i need to be downgraded from "baring a national emergency" to " probably not".
which annoys me since this'll be the first one i'll miss!
:smallfrown:

Thufir
2009-11-03, 07:11 PM
So, any update on the venue sorting?

Furthermore, sorting of accomodation, specifically for those in the impoverished category (Me, xPANCAKEx, Curly, Lorn, Dr. Bath). What kindly York residents feel like offering spare beds/sofas/floor space?

Dr. Bath
2009-11-06, 05:09 AM
Soo... it's definitely the 12th and it's definitely in York, right?

Also: what Thufir said. I could always just take the train home, but then I'd have to leave early, which is rubbish.

KuReshtin
2009-11-06, 05:57 AM
It's definitely York, and it's definitely the 12th.

As previously reported, LR_33 is a bit indisposed at the moment due to work and stuff, so he can't get onto the forum a whole lot.

If people can't sort out floorspace anywhere else, (and if Eldpollard is ok with it) I'm sure we could get a couple of people crammed into the hotel room I've got booked.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-06, 07:02 AM
My couch has been returned so I can offer a spot on that. Two if someone is ok on the floor/in a slightly dodgy recliner chair.

Lorn
2009-11-06, 08:20 AM
My couch has been returned so I can offer a spot on that. Two if someone is ok on the floor/in a slightly dodgy recliner chair.
Ooh! Ooh! Could I please grab one of them?

Completely fine with sleeping on the floor if it matters - if I can sleep in a freezing cold cow field in a leaky tent I can sleep anywhere :smallwink:

Lensman
2009-11-07, 08:13 AM
Sorry - Castaras and I are not going to be at the meet-up after all. This has been an appalling year for us - everything imaginable seems to have happened. Real life has clobbered us, and we failed our saving rolls. :smallfrown: Apologies to all of you, and especially to those who wanted to play Star Wars - blame circumstances thoroughly beyond our control.

All the best to you all.

KuReshtin
2009-11-09, 04:41 AM
Apologies to all of you, and especially to those who wanted to play Star Wars - blame circumstances thoroughly beyond our control.

All the best to you all.

Dammit! I was looking forward to another Star Wars session. I'd even dug up the previous session's intro-pages and read through them to refresh my memory a bit.
Oh well. Hopefully you'll be able to make it for the next one.

KuReshtin
2009-11-16, 06:59 AM
Look out for things that go *bump* in the night..

Dr. Bath
2009-11-16, 02:08 PM
Right. Well. Tomorrow I will be booking my tickets. If there is a floor space available and no one in greater need I will quite happily set up camp (camp being a sleeping bag and a ball of clothes) wherever, failing that I'll wander about til morn.

I'm gonna make it this time, fo' sho', so other people best turn up too.

Thufir
2009-11-16, 02:43 PM
I'm holding off on reserving anyone's sofa or floor for myself, since after 3 years living with my parents and accumulating student loan, I figure I'm less impoverished than the average student, so other people get higher priority.

I'll probably book my train tickets today or tomorrow as well. What sort of time do we want to be arriving in York?

Thufir
2009-11-17, 08:15 AM
*Steals Curly's info post.*
*Updates it*

Venue:
[Something about somewhere for free from 5pm, should have been found out about a few weeks ago...]

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Eldpollard
Lorn
Glug
Kobold-bard
SkadisPhoenix
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Bath
Thufir

Curly
zombiechick
JellyPooga
xPancakex

Possibly coming
Eggy
Project Mayhem
Aubit (+ wife)
Kantur
Yuki Akuma
Charity

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Lift Seekers

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available.
xPancakex from London. Provisionally, I'd say that's three open seats unless otherwise stated

Seeking accommodation/sharing accommodation (?) due to being an impoverished student OR OTHER
Thufir
xPancakex
Curly
Lorn
Dr. Bath

Accommodation Offerers/Finders
Kobold-bard - Has sofa and floor/slightly dodgy recliner chair
LR33 (?)
KuReshtin/Eldpollard? - Willing to squeeze people into Travelodge room if necessary.

Game Runners (and Games)
Munchkin (Eldpollard) Players: xPancakex

Nuke Wars (KuReshtin)
Thud! (Bath) (possibly)
Space Munchkin (Pancake) (possibly)

I think that's right. I dislike how many things still need to be sorted with less than a month to go, though. Organise yourselves, please.

KuReshtin
2009-11-17, 10:42 AM
*Steals Curly's info post.*
*Updates it*

/snip/

I think that's right. I dislike how many things still need to be sorted with less than a month to go, though. Organise yourselves, please.

HeadlessNinja and Myshlaevsky has both said that they are now downgraded to non-attendees due to financial reasons. So I'll be driving down south all by my lonesome.

I'll try to get hold of LR33 to see if he's got any new info to add.

Thufir
2009-11-17, 10:50 AM
Ah, didn't know Myshlaevsky cancelled as well, and I didn't catch all the instances of Headless Ninja being mentioned. Fixed now.

Note - this means 2 games have been removed from the requested/being brought list: Zombies (Headless Ninja), which xPancakex had booked a spot in, and Rogue Trader (Myshlaevsky).
If these games are wanted, someone else will have to bring them.

Eldpollard
2009-11-17, 09:12 PM
I have a feeling I forgot to say. I'm more than happy sharing the floorspace of the room KuReshtin and I have booked.

Thufir
2009-11-18, 12:22 PM
For the benefit of those travelling by not-car:

This (http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/) is the website I always use for train tickets. Point of advice: Sometimes, particularly if you're travelling a long distance, it can be cheaper to buy multiple tickets for separate parts of the journey (Even if you are in fact, on the same train, just with 2-3 tickets instead of 1...). Not always the case, but may be worth checking.

And this one (http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/funfares.cfm) does coach tickets. Look out for the 'funfares', prices sometimes as low as £5.

Thufir
2009-11-20, 08:07 PM
I bring you another link for possible bus tickets (And a thread bump!): http://www.megabus.com/uk/index.php

KuReshtin
2009-11-23, 03:37 PM
Gifts for all that show up!

KuReshtin
2009-11-24, 09:11 AM
Sorry for the double post here.

Just got an update from LR_33. He approves of the Meet-gifts.

The pub is booked for the 12th, but as has been mentioned before, the pub could only be booked from 5PM, so pre-5PM activities need to be sorted, unless we just decide to invade an unsuspecting pub and annex a few tables for ourselves for the afternoon, or if someone staying in the York area can accomodate the gang for a few hours.

Thufir
2009-11-24, 09:19 AM
Gifts, eh? Colour me curious.
I'll add on a related subject that unless I forget I'll be making cookies or something. So people better turn up, otherwise I'll have to eat them myself...

Just to be clear, is that the Black Swan that we're in from 5pm or somewhere else?

Eldpollard
2009-11-24, 12:35 PM
As for things to do in York, do the hours before 5PM necessarily need to be for gaming? Could we do something else possibly? I mean laser quest is always fun, and suitably nerdy. That's if York has a place for laser quest of course, and people want to.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-24, 12:46 PM
You could do the reverse D&D Campaign.

1. Sleep in the middle of the day because the Wizard ran out of spells again.
2. Go to the York Dungeon (murder and robbery at your discretion)
3. Wander around the town while everybody tries to sell you crap you don't need.
4. Go to the weapon shop and buy a new sword.
5. Go to the tavern and buy ale and wenches (Dorf beard also discretionary).

*I've never been the Dungeon so if it's rubbish its not my fault.

Lorn
2009-11-24, 01:02 PM
Can I please request confirmation as to whether I do or do not have somewhere to sleep?

(I really don't want to book tickets in advance and then find out I've got a night on the streets... done that before in Newcastle, and it really isn't fun. I'm not picky about where I sleep - I've slept on everything from a tent on a frozen cowfield mid-January to hard wood floors after a house party.)

Would ideally be booking tickets in the next week and a half, it's pretty cheap from where I am what with having a railcard and so on.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-24, 01:06 PM
Can I please request confirmation as to whether I do or do not have somewhere to sleep?

(I really don't want to book tickets in advance and then find out I've got a night on the streets... done that before in Newcastle, and it really isn't fun. I'm not picky about where I sleep - I've slept on everything from a tent on a frozen cowfield mid-January to hard wood floors after a house party.)

Would ideally be booking tickets in the next week and a half, it's pretty cheap from where I am what with having a railcard and so on.

Confirmed.

Can't guarantee the couch cushions, but the couch without them is still kinda comfy in a weird way. I have floor space and spare covers/pillows on offer as well if needed.

Lorn
2009-11-24, 01:09 PM
Confirmed.

Can't guarantee the couch cushions, but the couch without them is still kinda comfy in a weird way. I have floor space and spare covers/pillows on offer as well if needed.
Cheers. Floor is more than OK if necessary.

Booking train tickets on the weekend, most likely.

Dr. Bath
2009-11-24, 01:37 PM
As for things to do in York, do the hours before 5PM necessarily need to be for gaming? Could we do something else possibly? I mean laser quest is always fun, and suitably nerdy. That's if York has a place for laser quest of course, and people want to.

Yeah, but money... >_>

Finding a pub sounds pretty good, even if the serious games don't come out. I doubt a pub is going to object to people playing various card games.

And for that matter, what in terms of games are still being run? Star wars is out, as is the possibility of Rogue Trader... I could maybe make a short campaign with Savage worlds, but I've never actually GMed before, and it relies on me finding a new, non-destroyed copy of the rules.

Totally Guy
2009-11-24, 03:16 PM
Mouse Guard! Mouse Guard!

I'll run it, so 3-5 players please.:smallsmile:

Dr. Bath
2009-11-24, 03:21 PM
Moose? Guard?

Colour me intrigued.

smellie_hippie
2009-11-24, 03:31 PM
Mouse Guard! Mouse Guard!

I'll run it, so 3-5 players please.:smallsmile:

This game is awesome!! You almost make me want to jump across the pond and come play........ *and stab Archie*

KuReshtin
2009-11-24, 03:45 PM
This game is awesome!! You almost make me want to jump across the pond and come play........ *and stab Archie*

If you do, you'll get a gift. Glug has seen them, and seemingly approves.

I may be up for a game of Mouse Guard. But put me down as a backup, if others want to join. I'm happy to play Nuke Wars, Munchkin or whatever else is avaiable if others prefer to play Mouse Guard.

Lorn
2009-11-24, 04:03 PM
Forgot to say - as far as games go, I'm down for pretty much anything, although if I haven't played it then I won't know the rules :p

Last_resort_33
2009-11-26, 07:23 AM
Sorry about not posting much. I have been fighting poverty, Job loss (Twice), Nasty horrible friend/personal issues, Generally being ridiculously busy, illness, a nasty few months of Depression and Anti-Depressant side effects....

The pre 5PM stuff will be sorted this weekend, if all else fails, we will grab a corner of Wetherspoons and become squatters.

Archonic Energy
2009-11-26, 07:26 AM
Sorry about not posting much. I have been fighting poverty, Job loss (Twice), General business, illness, a nasty few months of Depression and Anti-Depressant side effects....

The pre 5PM stuff will be sorted this weekend, if all else fails, we will grab a corner of Wetherspoons and become squatters.

you OK LR?

Also i've just seen a pic of what i'll be missing by not attending...
in the words of the philospher Homer Jay Simpson
"D'oh"

Last_resort_33
2009-11-26, 07:33 AM
you OK LR?

Also i've just seen a pic of what i'll be missing by not attending...
in the words of the philospher Homer Jay Simpson
"D'oh"

Getting better now... I will financially stabalise in about 3 months and I am on some ADs that work now and the side effects have stopped.

But yeah... the prezzies are nice!

Archonic Energy
2009-11-26, 07:49 AM
Getting better now... I will financially stabalise in about 3 months and I am on some ADs that work now and the side effects have stopped.

Good to hear that you are coping...
though you could always try moving to a nicer area...
somewhere further south...
that has a large population...
somewhere like...

Portsmouth...
... What? what did you think i was going to say :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-12-01, 07:56 AM
LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO! WE'RE STILL ACCEPTING ANY AND ALL PLAYGROUNDERS WHO WANT TO COME ALONG! Yes, this is a bump-post

Thufir
2009-12-01, 12:27 PM
Info post update:

Venue:
Until 5pm: ??? Some random pub maybe?
From 5pm onwards: Black Swan (http://www.blackswanyork.co.uk/) in York.

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Lorn
Glug
Kobold-bard
SkadisPhoenix
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Bath
Thufir
Project Mayhem (+ 2 friends)

Almost certainly coming
Curly
zombiechick
JellyPooga
Aubit (+ wife)

Possibly coming
Eggy
Charity
xPancakex

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Lift Seekers

Lift Offerers
Kureshtin (lifts from Glasgow down M74/M6/A66/M1) First come, first serve Note: Going down Friday, coming back up Sunday. Up to four seats available.
[[xPancakex removed as he thinks he'll have to drop out]]

Seeking accommodation/sharing accommodation (?) due to being an impoverished student OR OTHER
Thufir
Curly
Lorn - Staying at Kobold-bard's.
Dr. Bath
(xPancakex if money allows him to come at all.)

Kobold-bard - Has sofa and floor/slightly dodgy recliner chair: One spot taken by Lorn.
LR33 (?)
KuReshtin - Has Travelodge room for friday & saturday nights, willing to share. Also willing to squeeze additional people in if necessary.

Game Runners (and Games)
Mouse Guard (Glug)
D&D 3.5 (Kobold-Bard)

Nuke Wars (KuReshtin)
Thud! (Thufir) (possibly)

Gifts and cookies for all!

Totally Guy
2009-12-02, 12:20 PM
So who's on my Mouse Guard patrol?

Tweak the pre-made characters or full blown character creation questionaire?

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-02, 01:10 PM
i think im gunna have to be a drop out im afraid - money is tighter than the proverbial ducks behind at the minute

Thufir
2009-12-02, 02:51 PM
Sad to hear that. I've moved you to 'Possibly coming', and otherwise put you in brackets & stuff.

Game-wise, the only game listed which I have ever played is Thud. So I have no idea what I'll want to join in with.

Eldpollard
2009-12-03, 03:14 PM
I am really very sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel. I thought my hours at work were set, they were in fact, not set. And now I'm working that day. I'm terribly sorry.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-03, 04:02 PM
I am really very sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel. I thought my hours at work were set, they were in fact, not set. And now I'm working that day. I'm terribly sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmyyZ7Eh3IQ

Seriously though, that sucks. Hope to see you at the next one (that isn't in London).

Also, if people are interested I'll offer a D&D 3.5 game. It'll most likely be your standard Dungeon Crawling Fools scenario (because I'm far too pants a DM for anything more), but figured I might as well offer.

Eldpollard
2009-12-03, 04:20 PM
Yeah everyone does seem to be quitting at the last minute. Plus I totally forgot what Saturday it was. I remembered "Saturday in December" and then forgot the specifics.
It really is rather annoying, and it's one fairly close to where I live. Well, the next one certainly. I've only been to one of these things so far.

Thufir
2009-12-03, 06:28 PM
Info post updated.
I could go for some D&D, and since the list of games being run is getting a bit short, I've put that on.
And I've taken Eldpollard off everything :smallfrown:

Dr. Bath
2009-12-03, 06:41 PM
Well, I'm still going, so at least one other person best turn up.

I'm up for any and all games, although have very little (read: no) experience in most games.

Also I lack Thud, sadly. Couldn't manage to pack it in my bag on the way home last time.

Thufir
2009-12-03, 06:50 PM
Well, in that case I might bring it. If I can fit into whatever bags I bring with me.

KuReshtin
2009-12-03, 07:16 PM
I'll be there. Definitely. I've got the hotel room booked and everything.
AND I'll bring the meet gifts.

Just seems as if I'll have a bunch of surplus gifts, though.

Thufir
2009-12-03, 08:19 PM
Well, I've just PMed a bunch of listed potential guests to check if they'll be joining us or not.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-04, 05:06 AM
Yeah, no way I can attend this year. Again. Sorry.

Maybe next year I'll actually have a job around Christmas.

Yeah, right.

Thufir
2009-12-04, 07:02 AM
Got Pms back from Kantur, who can't come, and Aubit, who says it's still quite likely he and his wife will be coming, though it may just be a day trip for them. Put Aubit down as almost certainly coming.

Lorn
2009-12-06, 02:48 AM
Ok. Barring a serious, serious problem - such as insane money issues, which I currently do not have - I'm basically ready for most of Saturday.

However, one thing.

What sort of time do most people see themselves arriving in York, especially those arriving via train?

Also, what do you look like? :p It occurs to me I have no idea who I'm looking out for...

Thufir
2009-12-06, 12:00 PM
I will be arriving whenever the tickets are cheapest, which may be excessively early.

This is the most recent photo I have of me:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/Razor-Sharp_H7/JackFrost.jpg
Though I won't be wearing that whole costume.

KuReshtin
2009-12-06, 03:20 PM
I'll be in the York area from Friday night, sometime.

If anyone wants to get hold of me on the day (or just feel like starting to harrass me, or whatever), my mobile number is: 07932 032 916.

And the most recent photo of me would be this:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/Bouncer.jpg
Someone said I looked like a bouncer, so I tried to prove that I can't look intimidating.

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-07, 10:58 AM
I'm now coming! I live within 20 mins of the pub, so I should get there on time and everything.

I'm bringing two friends along if thats ok? Both are of the required level of nerdiness I think.

I'll add a pic when I can work out how Sorted

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/billyadavies/4595_86344346853_624316853_2393990_.jpg

Thats the three of us looking odd. Yes we have sun in York sometimes. Left to right; Me, Chris, Joe. I promise Joe won't be allowed to wear shorts.

KuReshtin
2009-12-07, 01:25 PM
I'm now coming! I live within 20 mins of the pub, so I should get there on time and everything.

I'm bringing two friends along if thats ok? Both are of the required level of nerdiness I think.

Excellent news. The more, the merrier.

Thufir
2009-12-07, 01:38 PM
Info post updated.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 01:41 PM
No interest in D&D? Fair enough.

YAY for new recruits.

Totally Guy
2009-12-07, 01:53 PM
No interest in D&D? Fair enough.

If it makes you feel any better I've not had anybody come to me about Mouse Guard either.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 02:11 PM
If it makes you feel any better I've not had anybody come to me about Mouse Guard either.

So we'l basically be a bunch of nerds, gathering to get drunk and reminisce about the edition wars?

Thufir
2009-12-07, 02:15 PM
Alternatively, we'll decide what we want to play once we're there? Also:

I could go for some D&D,

But I'll happily go for whatever's on offer if I can pick it up quickly or already know how to play.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 02:16 PM
Alternatively, we'll decide what we want to play once we're there? Also:

But I'll happily go for whatever's on offer if I can pick it up quickly or already know how to play.

Also a very good option.....:smallredface:

And sorry, I missed that.

KuReshtin
2009-12-07, 02:48 PM
I'm open to play anything.
I'll be bringing my Nuke Wars, and would be very interested in trying out Mouse Guard (which I've actually mentioned before, Glug :P). One of my friends got Mouse Guard for her birthday earlier this year, and it looked very good.

So put me down for a game of Mouse Guard, Glug.

Totally Guy
2009-12-07, 03:43 PM
So put me down for a game of Mouse Guard, Glug.

Yay! Would you be ok with adjusting a sample character? Or with a few PMs I could run you through the questions to go through the character building process.

KuReshtin
2009-12-07, 04:16 PM
Yay! Would you be ok with adjusting a sample character? Or with a few PMs I could run you through the questions to go through the character building process.

I can do whatever. If it'll be easier for you to just get a sample character together, I'll be ok with that.

Totally Guy
2009-12-08, 05:40 PM
LR33 has just called me to tell me he's found a morning venue.:smallcool:

We'll be meeting at the Cross Keys pub, Goodramgate, York. YO1 7LF

Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=York,+Goodramgate,+Cross+Keys+Pub&sll=47.002282,5.672931&sspn=13.968485,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=Cross+Keys+Pub&hnear=Goodramgate,+York,+YO1,+UK&ll=53.962032,-1.075759&spn=0.005567,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=5554832867193134430)

Street view (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=York,+Goodramgate,+Cross+Keys+Pub&sll=47.002282,5.672931&sspn=13.968485,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=Cross+Keys+Pub&hnear=Goodramgate,+York,+YO1,+UK&t=h&cid=5554832867193134430&ll=53.961805,-1.079621&spn=0,359.98071&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.961941,-1.079571&panoid=PW7EyB-h41WCq-1DcLMQgw&cbp=12,216.97,,0,6.57)

We'll be showing up at around 11:00am.

Hey and it's only a few yards from the friendly local gaming store. So I can buy dice on the day because I'll have forgotten them again!:smallbiggrin:

Remember that parking in York is no easy task. Try to find somewhere slightly further afield to park and navigate the remainder as a pedestrian as York intended. I drive a cool car and even I think I might opt for the train on the day.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 05:44 PM
LR33 has just called me to tell me he's found a morning venue.:smallcool:

We'll be meeting at the Cross Keys pub, Goodramgate, York. YO1 7LF

Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=York,+Goodramgate,+Cross+Keys+Pub&sll=47.002282,5.672931&sspn=13.968485,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=Cross+Keys+Pub&hnear=Goodramgate,+York,+YO1,+UK&ll=53.962032,-1.075759&spn=0.005567,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=5554832867193134430)

Street view (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=York,+Goodramgate,+Cross+Keys+Pub&sll=47.002282,5.672931&sspn=13.968485,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=Cross+Keys+Pub&hnear=Goodramgate,+York,+YO1,+UK&t=h&cid=5554832867193134430&ll=53.961805,-1.079621&spn=0,359.98071&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.961941,-1.079571&panoid=PW7EyB-h41WCq-1DcLMQgw&cbp=12,216.97,,0,6.57)

We'll be showing up at around 11:00am.

Hey and it's only a few yards from the friendly local gaming store. So I can buy dice on the day because I'll have forgotten them again!:smallbiggrin:

Remember that parking in York is no easy task. Try to find somewhere slightly further afield to park and navigate the remainder as a pedestrian as York intended. I drive a cool car and even I think I might opt for the train on the day.

Never drive into York. He speaks the truth. There are park and ride buses from far flung car parks, or places all around where you can go, but stay outside the ring road if you value your sanity. Dead ends and pedestrian filled roads abound.

Thufir
2009-12-08, 05:52 PM
Info post update:

Venue:
York
11am - 5pm: Cross Keys pub
5pm onwards: Black Swan (http://www.blackswanyork.co.uk/)
Position of Black Swan in relation to everything else. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB251GB251&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12094851349915660931&fb=1&hq=black+swan&hnear=york&gl=uk&daddr=23+Peaseholme+Green,+York&geocode=18124124647173044727,53.960907,-1.074836&ei=107YSvn8NdKt4QbOsvjzCA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQngIwAA)

Date:
12th December

Definites
LR33 (+ guest?)
Lorn
Glug
Kobold-bard
SkadisPhoenix
eidreff
Kureshtin (+ guest?)
Bath
Thufir
Project Mayhem (+ 2 friends)
zombie chick
Aubit (+ wife)

Almost certainly coming
Curly

Possibly coming
Eggy
Charity
xPancakex

Nameless
The Rose Dragon
Darius Midnite

Lift Seekers

Lift Offerers
[[xPancakex removed as he thinks he'll have to drop out]]

Thufir
Curly
Lorn - Staying at Kobold-bard's.
Dr. Bath
(xPancakex if money allows him to come at all.)

Kobold-bard - Has sofa and floor/slightly dodgy recliner chair: One spot taken by Lorn.
LR33 (?)
KuReshtin - Has Travelodge room for friday & saturday nights, willing to share. Also willing to squeeze additional people in if necessary.

Game Runners (and Games)
Mouse Guard (Glug) Players: KuReshtin
D&D 3.5 (Kobold-Bard)

Nuke Wars (KuReshtin)
Thud! (Thufir) (possibly)

Gifts and cookies for all!

zombie chick
2009-12-09, 09:40 AM
well i still will be coming, thanks for the update and the venue location :)
i will be coming straight from work, so will probably get there at 2pm or so. So its probably not a good idea for me to sign up for games. I can bring a lot of card games like munchkin, aye evil overlord and ninja burger for people who just want to turn up and play random stuff :)
see you all there

KuReshtin
2009-12-09, 09:44 AM
well i still will be coming, thanks for the update and the venue location :)
i will be coming straight from work, so will probably get there at 2pm or so. So its probably not a good idea for me to sign up for games. I can bring a lot of card games like munchkin, aye evil overlord and ninja burger for people who just want to turn up and play random stuff :)
see you all there

Random card games are always good.

Gullara
2009-12-09, 10:41 AM
*sigh* I with I could come, but I have three things that are stopping me, I'm not from the British Isles, I'm a junior (17), and I'm flat broke. :smallfrown:

Thufir
2009-12-09, 11:40 PM
JellyPooga apparently is too busy at the moment to come to the meetup.
He hopes we all have a blast, and says we should down a brew or two for him.

Also, info post updated.

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-10, 02:52 AM
He hopes we all have a blast, and says we should down a brew or two for him.

I'm on that

Aubit
2009-12-10, 12:30 PM
Ay up.

We are planning on coming up for the day. So heading up early in the morning, and then heading back late in the evening.

Am looking at the Park and Rides...but the last bus goes to them at 8.

Does anyone have any good ideas to park in/around York and walk in...the walk from the park and ride is over an hour...which is a bit far ;)

Cheers

/Aubit

KuReshtin
2009-12-10, 02:59 PM
When do the shops open in York on Saturdays?
I'm kind of looking at defying all given advice and drive in to Dundas Street, as there's a car park there, and it's well within walking distance of both The Cross Keys and the Black Swan. The problem of course being that it's in the middle of the christmas shopping rush, so it'll probably be packed as soon as the shops open.

So trying to beat the shopping rush might force me to get into town like REALLY really early. Depending on when the shops open, that is.
The parking I was looking at is called Haymarket (post code YO1 7PG), and is open 24 hours and has all-day parking for a tenner, which isn't too bad.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-10, 03:07 PM
When do the shops open in York on Saturdays?
I'm kind of looking at defying all given advice and drive in to Dundas Street, as there's a car park there, and it's well within walking distance of both The Cross Keys and the Black Swan. The problem of course being that it's in the middle of the christmas shopping rush, so it'll probably be packed as soon as the shops open.

So trying to beat the shopping rush might force me to get into town like REALLY really early. Depending on when the shops open, that is.
The parking I was looking at is called Haymarket (post code YO1 7PG), and is open 24 hours and has all-day parking for a tenner, which isn't too bad.

9-ish I believe, could be wrong, I leave all my shopping til after mid-day because I'm lazy like that.

Also, there is a car park on Clarence Street opposite the uni, though I have no further details about it coz I don't drive. If you have a coach there's a seperate area for them though...

Lorn
2009-12-10, 03:46 PM
Ok. Unsure on the time I'll arrive in, but will (for once) remember a printout with details such as "where everything is." Should definitely be in by 12ish unless train is delayed or something. Will be arriving on Saturday.

For the record, this is vaguely what I look like... if you spot me wandering round York looking lost, please stop me and give me vague directions :p

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq156/Anatheus/Me/DSCF0226.jpg
Not the best photo, but I suppose it basically gets the job done.

Also, as probably stated, I'm up for basically any games provided I can pick up the rules quickly/already know them... I know basic D&D 3.5 rules, but may need help in some areas, I can probably pick Thud! up fairly simply, and so on and so forth. Also know the spoon game, but it's highly inappropriate for a pub game :p

KuReshtin
2009-12-10, 04:09 PM
Check post #207 for a contact number if you get lost or something.
I probably won't be able to guide you to the right place, but there mightbe people nearby that can. :smallsmile:

Lorn
2009-12-10, 04:25 PM
Check post #207 for a contact number if you get lost or something.
I probably won't be able to guide you to the right place, but there mightbe people nearby that can. :smallsmile:
Awesome, cheers.

Just need to make sure I actually wake up in good time on Saturday then...

Archonic Energy
2009-12-11, 05:07 AM
Well i hope you al have a good time, it's a shame i won't make it this time. see you in the summer...

IN LONDON. :smalltongue:

Aubit
2009-12-11, 05:09 AM
Thanks KuReshtin,

I might look at that as well...feels like it may be a few hours between arriving at York and getting into the car park...as it is Christmas Shopping...

as an aside, thougth I would check if anyone was interested in me bringing any of my boardgames:

1) Settlers of Catan
2) Carcassonne
3) Order of The Stick
4) A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Board Game (Sleepy Hollow, without a copyright infringement)
5) Ticket to Ride Europe
6) Talisman - New Edition (have Reaper expansion but not Dungeon).

They are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head...

If anyone who is interested in any before end of day, and could bring with tomorrow...depending on how far away I intend to park, determines how many I'd bring with me ;)

Also let me know if anyone was considering any card games, as seeing if it's worth possibly bringing a deck.

Decks I cna think I have available are:

1) Magic The Gathering
2) Babylon 5
3) Legend of the 5 Rings
*Although not that refined (slipshod may be a better term), as don't play very often...not very often at all...

Cheers,

/Aubit

Aubit
2009-12-11, 05:15 AM
Picture of me and my wife from our wedding:

http://weddingphotos.anthonymeaden.co.uk/robs1/tone&sofia-47.jpg

In case one of you random strangers happens to meet us while we are walking around ;)

{Don't know how all the embed image and spoiler stuff works}

/Aubit

Archonic Energy
2009-12-11, 05:19 AM
Picture of me and my wife from our wedding:

http://weddingphotos.anthonymeaden.co.uk/robs1/tone&sofia-47.jpg

In case one of you random strangers happens to meet us while we are walking around ;)

{Don't know how all the embed image and spoiler stuff works}

/Aubit

fixified

AE

Edit: Damn that's a big picture! erm screen stretch will occur.

Aubit
2009-12-11, 07:02 AM
hehe,

cheers.

Yeah it's from the online photo album i put together for pictures from our wedding.

So they are quite high res... ;)

/Aubit

Totally Guy
2009-12-11, 07:05 AM
1) Settlers of Catan
2) Carcassonne
3) Order of The Stick
4) A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Board Game (Sleepy Hollow, without a copyright infringement)
5) Ticket to Ride Europe

You can't go wrong with Carcasonne..ng

Order of the Stick however takes a long time go through with 6 people. We did that a year or two back.

Thufir
2009-12-11, 07:07 AM
Well i hope you al have a good time, it's a shame i won't make it this time. see you in the summer...

IN LONDON. :smalltongue:

What's that you said? :smallconfused: Newcastle? :smalltongue:

as an aside, thougth I would check if anyone was interested in me bringing any of my boardgames:

1) Settlers of Catan
2) Carcassonne
3) Order of The Stick
5) Ticket to Ride Europe

The two bolded I've heard of, and would be interested in. Particularly the OotS, as I've never actually played it, and I want to try it.

Totally Guy
2009-12-11, 08:03 AM
Oh, and I'll bring Puerto Rico.

It's very good and it's been ages since I last won at it. I mean, really, my confidence has been knocked!

Archonic Energy
2009-12-11, 08:06 AM
Oh, and I'll bring Puerto Rico.

It's very good and it's been ages since I last won at it. I mean, really, my confidence has been knocked!

that's strange, i'm taking PR to my mates housewarming... in Cardiff.
also fancy another Online game sometime?

Order of the Stick however takes a long time go through with 6 people. We did that a year or two back.

yeah, that was fun...

What's that you said? :smallconfused: Newcastle? :smalltongue:

yeah Newcastle. it's spelt L. O. N. D. O. N. :smallamused:

smellie_hippie
2009-12-11, 08:32 AM
yeah Newcastle. it's spelt L. O. N. D. O. N. :smallamused:

Located
acrOss the
poNd
anD
five hOurs east of
Nashville Tennessee? :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2009-12-11, 08:36 AM
Located
acrOss the
poNd
anD
five hOurs east of
Nashville Tennessee? :smalltongue:

*begrugingly gives cookie*
Don't let it go to your head... :smallamused:

oh and 5 Hrs to Nashville... what are you in, a Concorde?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-11, 08:37 AM
It's called Londen, ya bums.:smalltongue::smallwink:

smellie_hippie
2009-12-11, 08:42 AM
*begrugingly gives cookie*
Don't let it go to your head... :smallamused:

Totally worth it. :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2009-12-11, 09:58 AM
Totally worth it. :smalltongue:

It is very interesting poison. It comes in two parts. Both are harmless are their own, but when combined they are quite lethal. The first settles into the blood stream and the intestinal walls. It stays there for years, silent, dormant , waiting. When the other half of the poison enters the body, the two meet. Have a party in your cardio-vascular system and suddenly you are quite dead. :smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-11, 12:37 PM
What's this London place you guys keep mentioning? Never heard of it.

Now Newcastle, that sounds like a fine place for a meetup :smallcool:

Edit: No more D&D. I have been unsuccessful in locating my books. They're around here somewhere, but I can't find them under the piles of cr*p everywhere, and I'm not entirely sure you can run a game with just a Monster Manual.

Lorn
2009-12-11, 12:45 PM
^ I think this London place is somewhere down in the tropical South. Kind of hard to say.

Also, Newcastle sounds very fine. Mostly because it costs me under a fiver to get there, and I live under thirty miles away.

Also: Currently packing. It feels really, really strange to be preparing to be going around York completely unarmed... keep trying to work out how to carry the new axe :/

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-11, 12:56 PM
^ I think this London place is somewhere down in the tropical South. Kind of hard to say.

Also, Newcastle sounds very fine. Mostly because it costs me under a fiver to get there, and I live under thirty miles away.

Also: Currently packing. It feels really, really strange to be preparing to be going around York completely unarmed... keep trying to work out how to carry the new axe :/

Warning: Bringing weapons will result in sleeping on the streets, because the gf dislikes them intently.

As for London, I think AE is just making it up so we'll all go to this non-existent place so he and his team can rob all of our homes while we're gone :smalltongue:

Lorn
2009-12-11, 01:34 PM
Warning: Bringing weapons will result in sleeping on the streets, because the gf dislikes them intently.

As for London, I think AE is just making it up so we'll all go to this non-existent place so he and his team can rob all of our homes while we're gone :smalltongue:
... dude, no worries, as I said - preparing to walk around unarmed. Bad joke on my part - re-enactor, the last seven or eight times I've been to York was as part of something put on by the Jorvik Viking Centre.

And possibly. But it'll take him longer to go around all of our places than it'll take us to realise there's nothing there and find his place.. ;)