PDA

View Full Version : Fanfiction

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-06, 12:53 AM
Anyone else here write fanfiction besides me? All authors come here and talk about your work, writing styles and attitudes toward all things fanfiction. Not haters please.

Wukei
2006-06-06, 01:37 AM
well if you wanted all attitudes then you'd--of course--have to have haters as well. Personally, I don't do fanfics anymore, but it's a good way to start out writing. Of course, you eventually have to move on if you want to be a true writer.

2006-06-06, 02:30 AM
well if you wanted all attitudes then you'd--of course--have to have haters as well. Personally, I don't do fanfics anymore, but it's a good way to start out writing. Of course, you eventually have to move on if you want to be a true writer.

I just get the vibe that alot of fanfiction hating goes around on these boards and another flamewar is not what I want this to turn into. Currently I'm dividing my time between my Dark Cloud 2 fanfic (which is currently quite popular among DC2 fans) and my debut fantasy novel. Look for it in stores when it comes out: The Jeperon Chronicles: Book I: Wakening of Light!

But yeah, me and some of my fanfiction buddies are starting to write original stuff. You said you used to write. What'd you write for?

Murky_Pool
2006-06-06, 04:37 AM
What's fanfiction? I write the odd short story and I've seen this term (normally in submission guidelines under "Things we don't want").

From the word, I assume it's a story about a story that already exists, bit like a literary cover version.

Gary_Howard
2006-06-06, 06:24 AM
Fanfiction is fiction written about a world or characters that already exist, but with a new plot. It can range from writing something like.. a new episode of Buffy in a totally realistic and compelling style to the *ahem*... probably more common "THEReZ A NEW Grl at hogwarts she is sooo cool but can draco ever win here heart?"

I'm not trying to say that Harry Potter fics are worse than Buffy fics or anything like that. Just picked a couple of things at random to use as examples.

I once wrote a 5 paragraph one-shot where Zelda was thinking about Link. One of those pointless "reflective" ones, but hey - at least my spelling was good, and I received some surprisingly insightful comments about it. I'd just seen the old cartoons and I liked the idea that hey - these characters have actual personalities. Not that I used the cartoon's personalities. (EXCUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!)

I read a bit here and there.. some can be really good. Did anyone see the semi-parody one where the team loses a bet and has to play their next Quidditch game naked? It was actually really funny. I'd post a link, but that would involve a google string of something like "Harry Potter+Fanfiction+Qudditch+Naked" and frankly, I don't think it would turn up the one I'm thinking of... if you know what I mean...

Wukei
2006-06-06, 10:04 AM
Years ago I wrote a HP fanfic. I didn't have the HP or Draco lover. I had a new teacher with an interesting backstory. But enough of that...

I just get the vibe that alot of fanfiction hating goes around on these boards and another flamewar is not what I want this to turn into. Currently I'm dividing my time between my Dark Cloud 2 fanfic (which is currently quite popular among DC2 fans) and my debut fantasy novel. Look for it in stores when it comes out: The Jeperon Chronicles: Book I: Wakening of Light!

But yeah, me and some of my fanfiction buddies are starting to write original stuff. You said you used to write. What'd you write for?

I've got a few short stories I've written for chuck, I can look up the short stories. They're actually chapters. I'm writing a few novels and graphic novels. I play editor for several other novelists/internet writers. I'm currently working on a story called Of Wizards and Sorcerers and I might eventually get back to my graphic novel Life for Death (http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/life-for-death/index.html).

You know, it wasn't fanfictions that I wrote first. I wrote a book when I was about 10...just a short thing we had to write for class that we actually bound ourselves. I don't know where it went. It was the story of a white winged lion. But that's all I remember of that.

I wrote Of Wizards and Sorcerers when I was 16. Unfortunately I lost most of it. (I wrote it on paper.)

My biggest suggestion: write your novels on a computer that never touches the internet. If it's of interest to a hacker they can steal it at any time. And remember to carry a small notebook with you for ideas. I've lost a few ideas because I was off in the middle of nowhere when I had the idea and forgot it by the time I got home.

NinjaFish
2006-06-06, 02:05 PM
I wrote a fanfic when I was in highschool. It was about Shadow from FF3 (6, if you're a traditionalist)

I started a few works over the years, but I'm always disapointed with something, usually my descriptions. I can deal with dialogue just fine, but the things I see in my head just can't seem to stand out on paper.

I find that PbP games are good training: no pressure, and you can work on your weak points!

I'll keep my eyes open for the book!

2006-06-06, 02:11 PM
I wrote a fanfic when I was in highschool. It was about Shadow from FF3 (6, if you're a traditionalist)

I started a few works over the years, but I'm always disapointed with something, usually my descriptions. I can deal with dialogue just fine, but the things I see in my head just can't seem to stand out on paper.

I find that PbP games are good training: no pressure, and you can work on your weak points!

I'll keep my eyes open for the book!

Yeah. My action sequences need some work and I'm using my fic to help develop that. A little research into how people react to certain types of injuries wouldn't hurt either.

Tiferet
2006-06-06, 09:03 PM
I wrote TONS of fanfiction in high school, mainly about the Slayers anime. I did one about The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and I must admit to writing Harry Potter fanfiction.

Now though, I tend to try and write my own original short stories. I really like writing backstories for my D and D characters, so I guess it's not totally orginal since we play in the Forgotten Realms, but I'm only borrowing the setting, not any of the famous characters or anything. I tend to try to avoid that, actually.

I've always wanted to be a writer, ever since I was little, and I've been writing stories since I was in third grade or so. I'm currently working on trying to create my own 'fantasy' world that's more centered on the darker aspects of things, and really only has humans as far as races go, with several mythical creatures (vampires, dragons, nature spirits, ghosts, that kind of thing) Once I get it all fleshed out, I hope to write a novel. We'll see how it goes.

Shadow_of_Light
2006-06-07, 01:39 AM
I'm partial to fanfiction based on a series of games called 'Ultima'. :) I've written quite a bit of it in the past, and have a few 'grand projects' online just to prove what a hopeless fanatic I am. I'm pretty proud of what I've done, and that I get emails and ICQ msgs prodding me to get my latest fic finished must mean I'm doing something right...

I also did a fanfic based on 'Drakan: Order of the Flame' a few years ago, which was very well received among fans of the game.

To me, fanfiction is just something to get you started with writing. If it's based on an existing world and existing characters, you already have your 'reader base' in those familiar with the setting. It's a great way to get feedback on your writing style. :) It can also be a good source of encouragement if you get positive responses to your work. But unless you're writing about something like Star Wars (which you can actually publish and get money for), you're not likely to get an income out of it.

The_Librarian
2006-06-07, 03:05 AM
I've written an awful lot of Harry Potter fanfics but I'm in the planning stages of something of my own creation.

Nerull
2006-06-07, 03:33 PM
Someone whip up a filthy fanfic that involves me and Lidda right quick. ;) ;D

rdmflash
2006-06-07, 03:39 PM
I like fanfiction but have never taken the time to write one.

2006-06-07, 09:58 PM
My Dark Cloud 2 fic The Forsaken Legend is pretty good if I do say so myself. People who write for the smaller categories (less than 100 entries) seem to have little writers communities and form friendships. At least that's what's happened with me and my fellow authors The Several, Pug-Dragon and Moosashi.

Hoseki
2006-06-08, 06:59 AM
I've written some fanfiction. It tends to start out OK, then just stops somehow or becomes dull. I have also written a peice of HP fiction that never made it past the first page... :( Meh. It was weird.

Spit_Dog
2006-06-08, 09:26 AM
Anyone ever read James P. Blaylock's Elfin Ship series? I started a fanfic short story entitled "The Squire Goes to the Beach," but sadly never finished it. I still have it around here in an old notebook way back from the early 90's. ;)

storybookknight
2006-06-08, 11:48 AM
AntiSean, one of the players in my game, has an awesome D&D 'fanfic'. Except, it's really more of an original story in the Eberron universe...

The worst fanfic I've seen was Legend of Zelda based, where the author became Link and was totally cool all of a sudden.

He also had a story that started something like "Simon Simonson (authors name changed, but the author used their own name) had always been told that he could be the best mage-knight in all of Connecticut, if only he put his mind to it."

.... ???

Poor, poor, Simon.

2006-06-08, 12:46 PM
I don't usually write for big categories like Harry Potter and Zelda. Mainly because the only Zelda game I ever beat all the way was Majora's Mask and that was barely considered canon (sadly) and I lost interest in Harry Potter about 100 pages into the fourth book. The sheer amount of canon knowledge necessary to write well make it difficult to do so.

PS

I really need to get the Gamecube port of Ocarina of Time; my old N64 stopped working recently.

The worst fanfic I've seen was Legend of Zelda based, where the author became Link and was totally cool all of a sudden.

He also had a story that started something like "Simon Simonson (authors name changed, but the author used their own name) had always been told that he could be the best mage-knight in all of Connecticut, if only he put his mind to it."

.... ???

Poor, poor, Simon.

Ah, the proverbial anal rape of all that is fanfiction. The ol' self-insert as a crappy excuse for an OC (original character in layman's terms). I've read a couple self-inserts that were decently good, but most of them... well I know I've used this expression before, but I could compare the sensation to swallowig a bucket of rusty shurikens and washing it down with hydrochloric acid.