PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC] Air Guard (PEACH)

dropdadgbe
2009-08-10, 11:21 AM
I was going through a bunch of sourcebooks I had lying around, and I was amazed not to find any spellcasting classes based on flight, so I decided to make my own. The flavor of this is supposed to be geared more towards WWII and Cold War era fighter pilots, though I admit my own knowledge of the history is somewhat spotty at best. The intent is for these to serve as the military for a nation of predominantly wizards.

The Air Guard
Hit Die: d6.

Entry Requirements
To qualify to become an Air Guard, a character must fulfill the following criteria:
Spells: Must be able to cast Fly.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility.

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Knowledge: Geography (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

AIR GUARD
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Shot on the Run, Dogfight (+1d6)|--

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Wingman|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Dogfight (+1d6, +1AC)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Dogfight (+2d6, +1AC)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Dogfight (+2d6, +2AC)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Dogfight (+3d6, +2AC)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|???|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Air Guards gain no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields.

Shot on the Run: At 1st level, an Air Guard receives Shot on the Run as a bonus feat. If the Air Guard already has this feat, he may instead choose from the list of Air Guard Bonus feats below, provided all prerequisites (except for a natural fly speed) are met.

Dogfight: An Ombiterran Air Guard relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve his defense. He deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks he makes during a turn in which he uses his Shot on the Run feat (moving 5’ before and 5’ after) while flying. The extra damage increases by 1d6 every four levels.

The extra damage applies only against living creatures which have a discernible anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The Air Guard must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach that spot. Owing to the nature of Shot on the Run, this damage can only be applied to ranged attacks, and only if the target is within 30’.

At 3rd level, the Air Guard receives a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class during any round in which he flies at least 10 feet. The bonus applies as soon as the Air Guard has moved 10’, and lasts until the start of his next turn. The bonus also applies against any attacks of opportunity against him while using his Shot on the Run feat, even if he hasn’t technically completed moving the full 10’ yet. This bonus improves by 1 for every four levels gained above 3rd.

An Air Guard loses this ability when wearing medium of heavy armor or when carrying a medium of heavy load.

MULTICLASS NOTE: This ability is similar to the Scout class feature, Skirmish, which only requires that the scout move 10’ (regardless of how the movement is spent), but is otherwise the same. The bonuses from both abilities stack whenever both would apply, and should be considered equivalent when qualifying for other prestige classes.

Wingman: Air Guards often operate in pairs (or more), looking out for each other and providing support. At 2nd level, an Air Guard adds the spell Status to his list of class spells if it is not on it already.

Bonus Feats: Every 5th level, an Air Guard gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the following list: Flyby Attack, Hover, or Wingover (from Monster Manual); Improved Flight (from Complete Adventurer); proficiency in a ranged weapon on their choice; or other similar feats deemed appropriate by the DM.

???: What's a prestige class without some sort of super awesome ability to work up to? One eventually ought to go here.

See anything that looks glaringly under or over powered?

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 11:39 AM
Sharn: City of Towers has a flight-based PrC, and Races of the Wild have a few for Raptoran.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 12:20 PM
I like it! I might just recommend adding a required BAB of +5 or so. It's a decently powerful prestige class and the current requirements are quite easy.