PDA

View Full Version : How about that Valve and/or Steam, eh?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-17, 12:09 PM
As Djinn may be able to tell you, I was getting a lot of kills today.

Yep. :smallbiggrin:

Drascin
2009-08-17, 12:15 PM
Question: I'm going to go to my dad's house for vacation tomorrow. Any way to bring my TF2 data with me to not have to redownload it fully from steam? He does have internet connection, of course, but the download speed is so low, it's gonna take an eon to finish, so I'd love it if there was any way to diminish the amount of stuff I need to download.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-17, 12:17 PM
I think this sums up the new hat situation quite well. (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nomnomnomtf2&annotation_id=annotation_505676&feature=iv#play/uploads/0/RVOLkVvSLNU0)

Hahaha oooh that was an awesome video. The kill at the end is hilarious as well

Morrandir
2009-08-17, 01:20 PM
Question: I'm going to go to my dad's house for vacation tomorrow. Any way to bring my TF2 data with me to not have to redownload it fully from steam? He does have internet connection, of course, but the download speed is so low, it's gonna take an eon to finish, so I'd love it if there was any way to diminish the amount of stuff I need to download.

1) Open game list

2) Right click on TF2

3) Backup Game Files

4) Select what you want to put it on

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-17, 01:57 PM
Hey, this Huntsman thing is pretty sweet. Now if only I could find a server without 12 Snipers already on it to get more quality time with the thing.

Jibar
2009-08-17, 02:27 PM
Things learnt today:

1. Lawful has King of the Hill maps now.

2. Hats should not be a cause for an entire server to get pissed off, but one of personal success. Valve, I love you, but drop some bloody Hats more often.

3. Rutskarn is incapable of backstabbing me. At all.

4. Medics, please stop healing me as a Heavy. I know it makes sense but I am not the kind of competent you are looking for.

Kyouhen
2009-08-17, 02:51 PM
Things learnt today:

1) Zero is immune to bullets.

2) Zero is immune to fire.

3) Zero is immune to rockets.

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 02:53 PM
I sigh every time a game ends and people start going 'WHAAAAT' because they don't realise that games end when the time is up and the team who wins is the one with more points...

chiasaur11
2009-08-17, 03:00 PM
Things learnt today:

2) Zero is immune to fire.

Lies.

You just didn't use enough fire.

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 03:01 PM
I think I want a server with a 16 man limit...

Also, of course I'm not going to die of afterburn when I have medkits a-plenty.

Faulty
2009-08-17, 03:03 PM
I sigh every time a game ends and people start going 'WHAAAAT' because they don't realise that games end when the time is up and the team who wins is the one with more points...

I do that all the time, man. I am not known for my perceptiveness. I'm totally going to be an absent minded professor when I grow up.

Zweanslord
2009-08-17, 03:05 PM
Was fun game again on the d20 servers today! Healing Rutskarn, getting burned to death by shamusyoung, and more! Glad to see those servers back online. On what other servers besides the d20 servers do you all play (regularly)?

Nano
2009-08-17, 03:07 PM
None. Our loyalty to d20 is absolute - anything else is treason. Are you a traitor, Zweanslord?

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 03:08 PM
Most of us just stick to D20 it's true. We didn't really play much when they were down even with the update if my Friend's List is any judge.

Zweanslord
2009-08-17, 03:11 PM
Haha, no traitor here, Nano. Just wondering, really, due to the servers having been down and all. I mean, I did visit that server where you get to hide and seek common objects, but I did not really play much at all while the d20 servers were down. Seems like that applied to more people if Zero's Friend's List is any judge. :smalltongue:

The Linker
2009-08-17, 03:11 PM
2. Hats should not be a cause for an entire server to get pissed off, but one of personal success. Valve, I love you, but drop some bloody Hats more often.

If you're talking about the video, I didn't really see it as people being pissed off as much as people just being in general awe. It seemed like it was the most fantastic thing they've ever seen! :smallbiggrin:

I remember the exact same thing happening in World of Warcraft, back when the first expansion was released with two new races. The first time a Blood Elf got to level 10 and went into a battleground, all us 9 other expansion-less players on the team all crowded around him, just admiring this startling new humanoid. Quite interesting to see, really.

KBF
2009-08-17, 03:23 PM
If you're talking about the video, I didn't really see it as people being pissed off as much as people just being in general awe. It seemed like it was the most fantastic thing they've ever seen! :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I have to say, I like how hats are rare and awesome. I think Valve has it set up so playing 12 hours a day doesn't mean you have much higher a chance than someone who plays 1 hour a day.

Jibar
2009-08-17, 03:27 PM

Two hats dropped today while I was playing. It was greeted by everyone on the server screaming with rage.
Then me screaming at Rutskarn. :smalltongue:

Hats being rare and awesome is cool. When you control it. When it's random it's not rare. It's sheer bloody luck. And it's just as infuriating as any unending string of bad luck is in any other circumstance.

potatocubed
2009-08-17, 03:28 PM
Zweanslord! I have a picture you might be interested in...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/potatocubed/aerial.jpg

It's been kicking around my hard drive for months - I didn't even know you were a GitPer.

Worira
2009-08-17, 03:39 PM

I know what's happening, but I'm still annoyed by it. It's a terrible method of determining the winner.

Anyway, looks like I can add Soldier to the list of Classes Worira Is Somewhat Competent With.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-17, 03:43 PM
I'm also getting good with the AirBlast. I'm getting 2-3 Point-Blank Rocket Reflects (At melee range!) kills per round, and I can be depended to on occasion reflect an arrow, baseball, or demo grenade.
Well, it's no Don Newman or Huey Lewis, but it's a start.

Rutskarn
2009-08-17, 03:43 PM
I can attest. Jibar is immune to backstabs.

Seriously. I got three valid backstabs and four iffy ones on him, and NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.

Once, I saw another spy stab him in the back and kill him. I was like, huh, it's just me...

Until I noticed that he was killed by a REGULAR stab.

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 03:48 PM
Playing a heavy was he? When a heavy is spun up the hit box for their back is a bit skewed in relation to where it appears to be.

Jibar
2009-08-17, 03:51 PM
I can attest. Jibar is immune to backstabs.

Seriously. I got three valid backstabs and four iffy ones on him, and NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.

Once, I saw another spy stab him in the back and kill him. I was like, huh, it's just me...

Until I noticed that he was killed by a REGULAR stab.

INVINCIBLE!

Zweanslord
2009-08-17, 04:01 PM
Zweanslord! I have a picture you might be interested in...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/potatocubed/aerial.jpg

It's been kicking around my hard drive for months - I didn't even know you were a GitPer.

Haha, brilliant potatocubed! Thanks for sharing that, awesome.

But yep, gitp'er here. Mostly lurker, though. Perhaps I should add [GitP] to my name next time I'm playing.

potatocubed
2009-08-17, 05:23 PM
On the subject of sharing:

A day in the life of a turret. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz2_NkyTv8E&feature=channel) (Portal machinima, contains swearing.)

onasuma
2009-08-17, 05:47 PM
Just as servers were brought up, us UK lot hung around IceWind alot. I am sorry to say, that the IW servers are now dead and buried.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-17, 06:17 PM
lol that portal video was amazing, good find

Volug
2009-08-17, 06:29 PM
The guy who made TF2 Mass A.I. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g) just came out with another TF2 vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIE5Sk_K6U).

Watch all of his, they are awesome.

The Linker
2009-08-17, 06:40 PM
I can definitely verify the glitch about Soldiers not doing any damage when they hit at point-blank. I was a Scout running through the enemy base in Well when I turned a corner and smacked into a Soldier. He blasted me in the face. No damage. I shot him back (killing him) and ran off with all 125 health.

That must be annoying. :smalleek:

TheLogman
2009-08-17, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I was playing on the d20 servers as soldier, and it seemed like it was taking at least one, two or three more rockets (in the case of a Heavy), than it should to kill a given opponent.

The Linker
2009-08-17, 06:47 PM
Now that I think about it, I do remember a point where I hit a flaming Heavy with two rockets, then took out my shotgun and got a few direct hits, and he managed to wander off long after I expected him to be dead. :smallconfused:

Fawkes
2009-08-17, 06:52 PM
My steam alias is now SMELLY UNFORTUNATE.

I play d20 the most, but the FuG, and No Heroes servers are usually pretty reliable, except for reserved slots on No Heroes. I also like to play on Randomizer, Prop Hunt, Balloon Race, and Zombie Fortress servers on occasion.

Edit:
Updated PL_Hoodoo. Changes from community mapmaker Tim Johnson: "Added a balcony at 2-1 that I've rotated and cleaned up so it's a much better point, it attracts less sentry spam but is still holdable. 2-2 has a bit more breathing room and the one way route between BLU/RED spawn in stage 3 has gone and in its place some stairs up to the second level accessible from BLU's side."

Added "tf_ctf_bonus_time" ConVar to set the CritBoost bonus time for capturing the intelligence (0 to disable it)

Added "tf_arena_first_blood" ConVar to toggle the first blood feature in Arena mode (0 to disable it)

Added missing snowpuff particles for DX8 players

Fixed rocket jumping

Fixed sticky bomb attachment to props. They will now only ignore the saws in sawmill

Fixed Scouts going into reference pose in double jumps

Fixed the Ubersaw not displaying team colors

Fixed Spies disguised as RED Scouts not cloaking properly

Removed two more text messages for TF_FLAGTYPE_ATTACK_DEFEND CTF game mode

The Linker
2009-08-17, 07:32 PM
Only the saws in Sawmill? What, does that mean they can attach to things like spawn doors? :smalleek:

TheLogman
2009-08-17, 07:35 PM
No, it's just they were bouncing off points before.

Very glad the fixes are here. Among other fixes, I'm glad the ubersaw is fixed.

Fawkes
2009-08-17, 07:45 PM
...and now I can't play. Water particle thing.

Rutskarn
2009-08-17, 07:51 PM
Combat Engineer on Sawmill is officially the most fun thing ever.

Jagos
2009-08-17, 07:54 PM
Huh... That means either the server hasn't updated or the update hasn't finished for you.

Worira
2009-08-17, 09:05 PM
Yes, the latest update removed fun.

KBF
2009-08-17, 09:17 PM
Fixed rocket jumping

Now we can all stop whining, right?
Right.

Updated PL_Hoodoo. Changes from community mapmaker Tim Johnson:

"Added a balcony at 2-1 that I've rotated and cleaned up so it's a much better point, it attracts less sentry spam but is still holdable. 2-2 has a bit more breathing room and the one way route between BLU/RED spawn in stage 3 has gone and in its place some stairs up to the second level accessible from BLU's side."

Undoubtedly this will affect us more than 90% of casual TF2 communities anywhere. So lets see the changes over at d20?

Player_Zero
2009-08-17, 09:23 PM
I'll stop whining once I see that they've actually fixed it and aren't just lying.

Jagos
2009-08-17, 09:51 PM
Fixed sticky bomb attachment to props. They will now only ignore the saws in sawmill

BS, those things are still bouncing off check points. Happened just today for me.

KBF
2009-08-17, 09:52 PM
I'll stop whining once I see that they've actually fixed it and aren't just lying.

Or you could not be an ass. Just saying. Did they fix it?

BS, those things are still bouncing off check points. Happened just today for me.

The update happened in the last hour.

Jagos
2009-08-17, 09:53 PM
... Oh...

*restarts steam*

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-17, 11:07 PM
So, still no Fedora. Of course, I haven't really been playing much.

Um . . .
My knife is one with the Heavens and the Earth?

Nano
2009-08-17, 11:08 PM
And everyone's spine. Definitely one with that.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-17, 11:32 PM
Lawful and Chaotic are back. Get on, or Sandvich and I are going to beat your ass.

I was told I would be joining groups with MEN!

Jibar
2009-08-18, 01:15 AM
No, it's just they were bouncing off points before.

Very glad the fixes are here. Among other fixes, I'm glad the ubersaw is fixed.

Wait, that was a glitch?
I thought they had decided that stickying points was overpowered or something.

...does that mean I can put stickies on trains again?

Ziren
2009-08-18, 02:13 AM
P_Z made the comment that it seems about melee range, and with the glitch reducing splash area as well, i threw in that if your close enough to damage yourself your probably too close to deal any damage.

Now hat you say it, I have noticed multiple times that people aren't set on fire and most lilely take no damage when I'm standing so close to an enemy that he blocks my movement.

Volug
2009-08-18, 10:01 AM
Alrighty, I REALLY need everyone's honest opinion about this.

I've been trying something yesterday that someone suggested. People take their worst class (or just play horribly as one) and play them on their favorite servers. I'm possibly one of the worst snipers in the world, I don't have the guts to play him in actual matches that are not goofy/surf/mario_kart for fear of being Perma banned for sucking so much. I can't even headshot heavies, I have a very hard time with them. What doesn't help with this is the fact I get low FPS (in this match I was getting 6-10 possibly 15 at times).

So I've been playing sniper under my current tag [Fail Sniper] Masato, I went to a DonkeyKong_pl map... Well, I was second on the scoreboard... I actually took top in the match previous to the one recorded. Even though we lost my first one shown here, I was at least second, and I survived humiliation even when a demo man came into the place I hid. I EVEN used Razorback for cryin' out loud.

TL;DR
Please watch this and tell me if it's just the people I was up against really sucked, simply the map layout where BABIES can snipe as well as me, or better... Or I was just lucky, I've never been able to get more then 1 headshot in a life, until I was sniper heavy that one time.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHM6241Y

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/MasatoHyuga/pl_donkeykong_final0000.jpg

*OTHER STUFF*
Remember that 1v1, PZ? I just remembered this pic...
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/MasatoHyuga/player_zeroislookinggood.jpg

TheLogman
2009-08-18, 10:12 AM
Though the map layout of Donkey Kong does indeed lend itself to Rifle Snipers, your stats are very impressive. I assume at that point [Fail Sniper] became an ironic nickname.

Also, don't be afraid of getting banned in d20 at least just for sucking. I and my brother are both terrible at spy, but we still try it out and fail on the d20 Servers all the time.

Nano
2009-08-18, 10:27 AM
Hey, chumps. Get on Lawful, I'm bored.

Volug
2009-08-18, 10:28 AM
Well Sniper is exactly like a point and click adventure, move cursor, click, guy is dead... In Yahtzee's terms:

Use gun on man

chiasaur11
2009-08-18, 10:36 AM
Well Sniper is exactly like a point and click adventure, move cursor, click, guy is dead... In Yahtzee's terms:

Yeah, but you can't use Max on things.

And that's the true meaning of adventure gaming.

(Using Dan on things is a poor substitute, but better than any other alternative.)

Rutskarn
2009-08-18, 10:49 AM
*OTHER STUFF*
Remember that 1v1, PZ? I just remembered this pic...
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/MasatoHyuga/player_zeroislookinggood.jpg

Hah, it's funny because you shot him in the crotch and now his bladder is leaking.

It's funny because it's Zero.

Player_Zero
2009-08-18, 12:12 PM
I don't recall this at all. You can't prove anything.

The Linker
2009-08-18, 12:19 PM
SCREENSHOT OR IT DIDNohwait.

Nano
2009-08-18, 01:55 PM
Huh. (http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/67&ch=1&sd=0?ep=67&ch=1&sd=0) Gabe Newell being interviewed. TF2 comics and stuff sound awesome.

TheLogman
2009-08-18, 02:22 PM
I'm kinda disappointed that they're not working on Half Life 2 Episode 3 to the extent he can say anything, and I guess I would want to see Portal 2, if it's anything like Portal one.

I kinda wanted Portal 2 to mesh into Half Life 2 Episode 3.

Crash Course sounds like a Tournament/League competitive thing. Good for some aspects of the community, fine for Versus mode.

I kinda feel sorry for Gabe maybe? It's something about how he was talking. He's certainly built quite a fan base, and that many people get unstable.

I'm worried about Left 4 Dead 2. Look at the Trailers. So far, I have yet to see a single "Just wait" event, or "Hold out" event. No suspense like in the previous game, just run and gun, run and gun. Maybe, like some people said, the testers and trailer guys aren't very good at Left 4 Dead, or maybe the game is different.

I think I shall go do...things.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-18, 02:24 PM
Just finished MINERVA. It was very good.

chiasaur11
2009-08-18, 02:32 PM
Just finished MINERVA. It was very good.

Oh yeah.

Beat it three times. Once standard, once on hard, once with three friends using Synergy.

Man. So many good bits...

Ziren
2009-08-18, 02:35 PM
I'm worried about Left 4 Dead 2. Look at the Trailers. So far, I have yet to see a single "Just wait" event, or "Hold out" event. No suspense like in the previous game, just run and gun, run and gun. Maybe, like some people said, the testers and trailer guys aren't very good at Left 4 Dead, or maybe the game is different.

Actually they said that the events now require you to reach a certain point to stop the zombies from appearing. There was this video of the car park, although the zombie waves appeared quite thin there.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-18, 02:39 PM
Actually they said that the events now require you to reach a certain point to stop the zombies from appearing. There was this video of the car park, although the zombie waves appeared quite thin there.

I didn't think that they'd got rid of the waiting ones completely, though.

Rutskarn
2009-08-18, 02:42 PM
Maybe, like some people said, the testers and trailer guys aren't very good at Left 4 Dead,

Yeah. Those guys suck at Left 4 Dead.

Jibar
2009-08-18, 03:33 PM
I cannot decide if Simmons sounds like Gabe or Gabe sounds like Simmons...

Oh well. At least some of the Left 4 Dead 2 stuff was interesting but that news about Crash Course. 2 maps? So... it isn't actually a full campaign then?
I'm a little annoyed he didn't talk more about Team Fortress 2, but I can understand. The game is done, it's playable, and all these extra content patches are just that, patches. They don't have to invest any serious time in there. Just a little hint about hats though... something about hats...

Hermit
2009-08-18, 03:55 PM

If you're worried that the moving crescendo events aren't going to work, I suggest you try Heaven Can Wait. In the car park, every car is alarmed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYYQam7xZ6A)

Alleine
2009-08-18, 05:25 PM
Yeah. Those guys suck at Left 4 Dead.

I've always wondered why they seem to get the mentally handicapped to do trailers. Normal people should be able to respond to a zombie attack, not just sit there shooting at teammates while their own brain is being nommed.

Phase
2009-08-18, 05:36 PM
My gaming rig is... not well.

If I'm not online for a while, you'll know why.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-18, 06:27 PM
So I've been playing sniper under my current tag [Fail Sniper] Masato, I went to a DonkeyKong_pl map... Well, I was second on the scoreboard... I actually took top in the match previous to the one recorded. Even though we lost my first one shown here, I was at least second, and I survived humiliation even when a demo man came into the place I hid. I EVEN used Razorback for cryin' out loud.

Please watch this and tell me if it's just the people I was up against really sucked, simply the map layout where BABIES can snipe as well as me, or better... Or I was just lucky, I've never been able to get more then 1 headshot in a life, until I was sniper heavy that one time.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHM6241Y

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/MasatoHyuga/pl_donkeykong_final0000.jpg

I'll take a look after I DL that map. Give me half an hour.

Nano
2009-08-18, 06:33 PM
You can have fifteen minutes. Move it, soldier!

Arbitrarity
2009-08-18, 07:05 PM
Mostly done. A lot of spawn camping, a lot of static targets, and a lot of missed shots. With that FPS I can't even tell if you actually could aim, or your shots were just totally random.

Highlights were a few shots at moving targets, often on level ground. A few good headshots on pyros, soldiers, and one on that sniper who was dominating you with the huntsman :smallsigh:. However, your revenge made no damn sense in that demo, because it lags so hard as you get those two kills, they don't even show up.

Bad news is, most of your shots at moving targets, even slow ones, missed. You camped a LOT, and were one of the aforementioned static targets. You took healthpacks from medics, were only sort of aware of your surroundings (good job hearing spies stab people beside you), and can't land noscopes at all. Are you using a crosshair, or the default blank?
Also, WHY THE FAILZORBACK?

P.S. Get better FPS please. Seriously, can't see anything with that lag.

The Linker
2009-08-18, 07:17 PM
:smalleek:

Well, I guess... Masato was sort of asking a certain measure of brutality...

Er. Anyway. I was under the impression FPS didn't actually matter in a demo, due to the way Source records it? I dunno, I may have to see the demo myself to see what kind of lag you're talking about.

Edit: Oh, right, I'd have to download the map first. Bah! :smalltongue:

Edit edit:
Are you using a crosshair, or the default blank?

Since the Sniper Vs. Spy update, a crosshair IS the default. Same crosshair as the revolver.

KBF
2009-08-18, 07:24 PM
Also, WHY THE FAILZORBACK?

As a spy, I'm not going to touch the razorback sniper by any of his teamates. Nothing will attract attention faster than a) razorback-breaking sound, or b) someone firing a gun by the sniper that isn't a sniper rifle. In fact, it sound like a revolver. Spray the who frikkin' map for that spy, even if the pyro already got him. Just.. Keep doing that until round end.

The Linker
2009-08-18, 07:38 PM
I've never even heard the Razorback breaking sound. The shame about the Razorback really is that if it works, you'll have had no idea you were ever in danger. It's easy to think, "Why did I wear that? I never caught a single Spy behind me!"

Dogmantra
2009-08-18, 07:55 PM
The shame about the Razorback really is that if it works, you'll have had no idea you were ever in danger. It's easy to think, "Why did I wear that? I never caught a single Spy behind me!"

Back when I used it for a while, I got backstabbed once with it on. I was zoomed out of my scope, so I presume this tells you that it's broken. I got stabbed again anyway...

Arbitrarity
2009-08-18, 08:00 PM
As a spy, I'm not going to touch the razorback sniper by any of his teamates. Nothing will attract attention faster than a) razorback-breaking sound, or b) someone firing a gun by the sniper that isn't a sniper rifle. In fact, it sound like a revolver. Spray the who frikkin' map for that spy, even if the pyro already got him. Just.. Keep doing that until round end.

As a sniper, I find it much more useful to hunt down errant spies with a quick jar of piss, put fires out, and add damage to enemies than to protect myself from maybe 2 backstabs a game. Failzorback is only OK for camping near sentries, or surrounded by people. That's not even where you should be sniping. Furthermore, most players don't even notice the breaking sound, just like they don't notice the sound of a spy decloaking nearby.

Also, I like how everyone wastes time looking for spies. It's fruitless. Killing the spy, unless it's convenient, tends to be a waste of time. Chasing a spy for 3 minutes with a flamethrower wastes your time, isolates you, and has the possibility of going on a wild goose chase.

I'm going to record some sniper demos. Thus far, I have some bad ones. :smallsigh:

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-18, 08:03 PM
If you got the Ambassador, it's pretty easy to kill the sniper. Just get behind him disguised as a sniper so no one suspects you. Aim for the head and then 2 shot him. I've killed a number of snipers that way.

Volug
2009-08-18, 08:11 PM
I used it since I was TRYING to fail, somewhat. I just gave myself my worst loadout (Failback since, well, it explains itself). Jarate would have been amazing, yet, well, I was trying to be un-credit to team by being my worst class.

Dispozition
2009-08-18, 09:00 PM
I have only use teh failzorback once...I died a lot due to backstabs for some reason...Weird that, no? Probably because I missed the noise though...However, I almost always notice the uncloak sound and I'm normally fairly aware of my surroundings, being a Medic most of the time...

Anyway, looking at your HS:K ratio, you are a bit of a fail sniper. Your headshots should be lagging behind your kills by about 8 at the most, and that's only when you have a kill count of over about 40. This is only because of kukri and SMG kills on spies and other close enemies.
Your K:D ratio is ok, but it could certainly be better...Especially on a sniper orientated map. It should be around 3:1 or 4:1, better if you're above average. I know I've had a K:D ratio of about 8:1 on Goldrush before, epic times that...A score in the hundreds, highest on the server.

Anywho, I'd advise practicing. You get better at headshots over time, you become more aware of your surroundings. Badlands and Goldrush are good maps to learn since you quickly realise that you have to be able to no-scope or quick-shot very well to be able to get kills, so you learn how to.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-18, 09:28 PM
One case where headshot to kill can be low is unscoped follow-ups. If I just HS'ed a pyro, I have jarate, and he's not dead, noscopes away!

KBF
2009-08-18, 11:50 PM
As a sniper, I find it much more useful to hunt down errant spies with a quick jar of piss, put fires out, and add damage to enemies than to protect myself from maybe 2 backstabs a game. Failzorback is only OK for camping near sentries, or surrounded by people. That's not even where you should be sniping. Furthermore, most players don't even notice the breaking sound, just like they don't notice the sound of a spy decloaking nearby.

The point is I won't touch the razorback sniper. He probably won't see a use for it because it's not blocking any backstabs, and I'm not backstabbing him because it will block it. It's a perpetual cycle of fail. Also, the razorback does not only block the backstab, stun all my weapons for two seconds and make a loud noise for the sniper, it shakes their screen. I mean, decloaking behind someone is already retarded but i guess some people miss it. When you are focusing intently on lining up a dot with a person, you are going to notice when you get violently shook from side to side.

To everyone saying "use gun": Uh, yeah, I could stand there for three seconds firing a gun and hope that he won't turn around. And sure it can work occasionally on a 2fort sniper, but someone tends to notice whether the sniper or an ally and I end up dead. When I could have gone for one of the other two snipers that thinks Jarate is going to save them from a 20 second respawn.

Oh, and an unrelated fun sniper fact: A fully charged shot does 150. That's enought to kill anything but Demo, Soldier, Pyro and Heavy. One-shot medics without any fuss!

Dispozition
2009-08-19, 01:18 AM
One case where headshot to kill can be low is unscoped follow-ups. If I just HS'ed a pyro, I have jarate, and he's not dead, noscopes away!

True, but they shouldn't make up half of your kills, not unless you're playing a very, very offensive sniper that's getting quite close and personal.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-19, 01:30 AM
To everyone saying "use gun": Uh, yeah, I could stand there for three seconds firing a gun and hope that he won't turn around. And sure it can work occasionally on a 2fort sniper, but someone tends to notice whether the sniper or an ally and I end up dead. When I could have gone for one of the other two snipers that thinks Jarate is going to save them from a 20 second respawn.
It's probably closer to 1.5 seconds or so. They tend to react after two shots, if they notice at all. The third shot kills.

You'll usually want to start shooting them when they scope in, after they've settled down from the "shoot-move" routine. Check to make sure they're not overhealed. Switch to a knife to finish them in the front if they react badly, since you can get away with 2 revolver hits and 1 knife hit.

It's not unusual for Snipers to be found away from their teammates, so it is not unusual to get away with revolvering them. Mostly, you just need to know who is watching.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-19, 03:34 AM
Razorback mildly annoys me, but if I really want to take one out I'll just two-shot him with the Ambassador and then cloak away. I'm kind of an awful Spy, but I'm pretty good at hiding from spy-checking Pyros or anythings when they're after me. Also, I'd forgotten what the Sniper saw if you broke his Razorback. I got Die Another Way when his reaction was to go straight back to sniping.

Hermit
2009-08-19, 04:18 AM
Razorback mildly annoys me, but if I really want to take one out I'll just two-shot him with the Ambassador and then cloak away. I'm kind of an awful Spy, but I'm pretty good at hiding from spy-checking Pyros or anythings when they're after me. Also, I'd forgotten what the Sniper saw if you broke his Razorback. I got Die Another Way when his reaction was to go straight back to sniping.

Escaping sniper filled balconies is one of the places where the nerfed Dead Ringer is still useful, too. Soon as you're gone they all go back to sniping, and you can just wander round and get them again :p

onasuma
2009-08-19, 04:47 AM
I go out of my way to backstab snipers with the rasorback. If it takes me all game, I will murder them all.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-19, 08:44 AM
Oh yeah.

Beat it three times. Once standard, once on hard, once with three friends using Synergy.

Man. So many good bits...

This has got me thinking about Synergy. It would be awesome to give it a go with some of you guys sometime.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-19, 09:26 AM
I go out of my way to backstab snipers with the rasorback. If it takes me all game, I will murder them all.

Yeah I made one rage quit in goldrush final point. I was a CD spy with the ambassador. I sneak up onto the battlement and sneak up behind the failback sniper. Headshot him for 102 damage and then a bodyshot to finish the job. Then I cloak and sit on the rail for him to reappear. I do it again. Then I sit there sniping people below. Killed an engie and got an assist or two before his buddies noticed their sniper was a spy.

Rutskarn
2009-08-19, 09:35 AM
That sniper is a spy! (http://nerfnow.com/comic/image/143)

chiasaur11
2009-08-19, 09:56 AM
This has got me thinking about Synergy. It would be awesome to give it a go with some of you guys sometime.

I'd be up for it.

Minerva?

Just fair warning. The elevators in part 2 are a pain.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-19, 10:38 AM
That sniper is a spy! (http://nerfnow.com/comic/image/143)

I've always argued that the Sniper should get an instant death melee weapon. From a certain angle.
like from behind people.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-19, 10:43 AM
I'd be up for it.

Minerva?

Just fair warning. The elevators in part 2 are a pain.

Aye. One of the things I've always hated about Sven Co-Op and Synergy is how whenever anyone crosses a loading screen it ruins it for everyone. I suppose Minerva would get past that by just not having that many loading screens.

Also, I've had a weird bug on TF2 since the Classless Update. Whenever I've joined a server it's told me that I've found a Huntsman, and it says so on the sever as well. What's strange is that the game is lying. I haven't found a Huntsman. I know for a fact because my backpack is full to bursting right now and the game never has a problem with this. Random drops work fine later on the server, it's just that one thing at the start. Any ideas? I mean, I have used the bug report thing to ask PROFESSIONALS, but I'm impatient.

Nano
2009-08-19, 10:49 AM
Phantom shortbow?

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-19, 11:53 AM
Aye. One of the things I've always hated about Sven Co-Op and Synergy is how whenever anyone crosses a loading screen it ruins it for everyone. I suppose Minerva would get past that by just not having that many loading screens.

Also, I've had a weird bug on TF2 since the Classless Update. Whenever I've joined a server it's told me that I've found a Huntsman, and it says so on the sever as well. What's strange is that the game is lying. I haven't found a Huntsman. I know for a fact because my backpack is full to bursting right now and the game never has a problem with this. Random drops work fine later on the server, it's just that one thing at the start. Any ideas? I mean, I have used the bug report thing to ask PROFESSIONALS, but I'm impatient.

I think what is happening is the game wants to give you a weapon, but you don't have room in the backpack to give it to you. If not, try giving the fake idle server a try. It can delete duplicate items for you. That could clear it up for you.

chiasaur11
2009-08-19, 11:56 AM

Yeah, but the elevators are almost worse. One person limit.

Two if you're lucky.

Jibar
2009-08-19, 12:03 PM
Hey Rutskarn, have you got an OOTsified version of your namesake?
I feel like making you a spray.

Rutskarn
2009-08-19, 12:45 PM
Hey Rutskarn, have you got an OOTsified version of your namesake?
I feel like making you a spray.

I won one off of Bath once.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/solarturtle/rutskarn.png

Also:

CTF Sawmill is an engineer's paradise. I can't remember the last time I lead the board of a 12-by-12 server using ambush sentries alone.

TheLogman
2009-08-19, 01:47 PM
So, playing Metastasis.

Non-linear maps are great and all, but not while taking heavy fire.

Like in Research and Development, you had really complex puzzles and non-linear areas, but that was okay, because there was little stress.

But I'm deep into the no-weapons part, and I am LOST. I have seriously gotten to the point where I am just running in circles, getting shot at, and pushing the pretty buttons. Do I know what any of them do? Hell no! I'm just running around, lost and scared and weaponless.

I keep running into this Combine Platoon, and getting shot at, and I just end up crouch jumping onto their heads and running away.

Very...very...lost now.

chiasaur11
2009-08-19, 01:51 PM
So, playing Metastasis.

Non-linear maps are great and all, but not while taking heavy fire.

Like in Research and Development, you had really complex puzzles and non-linear areas, but that was okay, because there was little stress.

But I'm deep into the no-weapons part, and I am LOST. I have seriously gotten to the point where I am just running in circles, getting shot at, and pushing the pretty buttons. Do I know what any of them do? Hell no! I'm just running around, lost and scared and weaponless.

I keep running into this Combine Platoon, and getting shot at, and I just end up crouch jumping onto their heads and running away.

Very...very...lost now.

Well, you running into forcefields?

Because if you are, look for a power cord, and think. Then hit switches and RUN.

Fawkes
2009-08-19, 02:06 PM
I'd be up for some Minerva once I get my computer back from the shop, install the HL2 pack I bought, and download the mod. How does this synergy thing work exactly?

The Linker
2009-08-19, 02:47 PM
Well, you running into forcefields?

Because if you are, look for a power cord, and think. Then hit switches and RUN.

Yeah, too many times in that game I've been stuck because there's a forcefield's power cord I missed. It's the same dang puzzle over and over. :smalltongue:

Volug
2009-08-19, 02:49 PM
Am I the first one to post this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiVzFMO3QVM)?

It's amazingly fun, you should add it to one of the 20 sided servers when everyone wants to mess around =D

Nano
2009-08-19, 02:56 PM
See, I'd love to practice on a map like that, but my problem is that it'd wreak havoc with my high scores and such. Is there a way around that besides resetting them afterwards?

The Linker
2009-08-19, 02:59 PM
That looks awesomely fun. I bet I could have some fun playing it in G-Mod, too. Though it just occured to me I'm not sure if I can use custom maps in there...

Still. My favorite part was definitely seeing all those one-health enemies get beaned in mid-air with the Sandman. :smallbiggrin:

...Is there a way to disable achievement credit and statistics tracking? I really don't want to kill forty bots that way and end up with a new record.

Edit: Yeah, what Ninjano said!

chiasaur11
2009-08-19, 03:04 PM
I'd be up for some Minerva once I get my computer back from the shop, install the HL2 pack I bought, and download the mod. How does this synergy thing work exactly?

Basically, you download it, set up a server, and mount all the Half-Life you have on it, and then you can play HL2, the episodes, and mods multi.

Simple if you don't need to make the server.

Edit: I'd be up for it once my box is back.

Fun times, even if the messages don't pop up.

TheLogman
2009-08-19, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I stacked some boxes for one of those Plug puzzles, but then I got really lost.

How long am I gonna be stuck weapon-less?

KBF
2009-08-19, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I stacked some boxes for one of those Plug puzzles, but then I got really lost.

How long am I gonna be stuck weapon-less?

Pretty much for as long as you just wander around. You kind of have to think about where you are going. You pull the plug, press a button or two, the head down any ramps that may or may not appear in the middle of the room.

I'm going to give walkway a try, it looks fun. There has to be a way to get it to stop tracking stats.

EDIT:
* sv_cheats is turned on, so your stats won't be saved :)

The Linker
2009-08-19, 03:41 PM
I know every time a kill or something happens in a demo, the console logs the message 'Achievements are disabled.' Perusing it may give us clues as to the correct console command.

potatocubed
2009-08-19, 04:51 PM
Yeah, if you use the console to turn sv_cheats on, it stops tracking stats.

KBF
2009-08-19, 05:16 PM
But Walkway has it on by default when the map loads.
...This is an awesome map. We need to add it to Chaotic's rotation ASAP.

The Linker
2009-08-19, 05:17 PM
But Walkway has it on by default when the map loads.

Well, that's good, right? They obviously thought about that! :smalltongue:

Edit: Just checked it out at tfmaps.net -- the last line in the 'map features' section is exactly that: "sv_cheats is turned on, so your stats won't be saved."

Must download!

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-19, 05:26 PM
Am I the only one who taunts when set alight with no chance of being healed in time? I've given three people the Dance Dance Immolation taunt that way.

The Linker
2009-08-19, 05:29 PM
If there's no enemies, friendly Medics, or health packs/supply cabinets around, and I'm down to ten health? Yeah, I'll do a little taunt as I pass away. Works best with a Soldier's rocket launcher taunt. :smallbiggrin:

TheLogman
2009-08-19, 05:41 PM
I got past the plug part, I didn't wait long enough last time for the ramp downwards, the second time before even reading anything I found it.

I am now stuck at the Plasma Buffers things. I opened them all, and threw some Grenades in, but nothing happened, not even when all of them were yellow at the same time.

What am I supposed to do?

EDIT: I guess I'm supposed to throw 2 Nades?

And now I'm stuck again just past the Zombines. She keeps telling me to break something, but I can't find anything to break.

WOOO! Double Edit: Found what I had to break.

Worira
2009-08-19, 06:04 PM
Huh. For some reason, the confiscation field in Minerva is consistently crashing my game, and once my computer.

The Linker
2009-08-19, 08:39 PM
Alright, so Walkway was indeed fun. Mostly from spawning one-health Scouts and killing them in various ways -- rocket launchers, miniguns... the best part came when I set them all at max speed (which is really, really fast) and set up a level one sentry behind a corner. It was like a Sniper with aimhack and an auto-rifle. :smalleek:

Dogmantra
2009-08-19, 08:54 PM
Well how the earth do you spawn more than one enemy at a time in Walkway?

The Linker
2009-08-19, 08:57 PM
Eh? It's not working for you? It should start out with a full set of bots wandering down the path.

KBF
2009-08-19, 09:05 PM
Alright, so Walkway was indeed fun. Mostly from spawning one-health Scouts and killing them in various ways -- rocket launchers, miniguns... the best part came when I set them all at max speed (which is really, really fast) and set up a level one sentry behind a corner. It was like a Sniper with aimhack and an auto-rifle. :smalleek:

I took a harder approach to the same concept: First I set bots so they are firing weapons constantly. Regular speed (is there a way to get natural speed?) and I turned them off for a bit. Set walls off but injure bots outside of walls. Put a tele under a tp_teleport location to tele me right into the middle of the runway. Set up a sent and dispenser around the teleport, and yes resupply on for infinite metal. Set up the jump pad to max settings and set up a decent ramp so the sentry gets shot at as little as possible before it can fight back. Then I set bots to random classes and quickly tp_teleport and start wrenching the sentry and see how many bots I kill.

For all the work, it wasn't all that impressive. :smalltongue:

EDIT:
Well how the earth do you spawn more than one enemy at a time in Walkway?

You have it set to allow up to 2 players. Set it to at least 14.

Dogmantra
2009-08-19, 09:06 PM
Eh? It's not working for you? It should start out with a full set of bots wandering down the path.

It might be because I played around with the settings for a bit before even going out of the control room. I'll try again tomorrow.

chiasaur11
2009-08-19, 09:40 PM
I got past the plug part, I didn't wait long enough last time for the ramp downwards, the second time before even reading anything I found it.

I am now stuck at the Plasma Buffers things. I opened them all, and threw some Grenades in, but nothing happened, not even when all of them were yellow at the same time.

What am I supposed to do?

EDIT: I guess I'm supposed to throw 2 Nades?

And now I'm stuck again just past the Zombines. She keeps telling me to break something, but I can't find anything to break.

WOOO! Double Edit: Found what I had to break.

So, done?

Weren't the Orbital laser strikes awesome?

The Linker
2009-08-19, 10:18 PM
Ok, question for computer people in the audience. I'm looking for a good laptop for University soon, and I need one with a good video card -- this is going to be my gaming computer as well.

Comparing video cards really isn't easy, what with the multitude of little numbers and letters they add on to the other numbers and letters, and the different leading brands out there. So I found this handy-dandy graphics card hierarchy! (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review-31635-6.html)

Now, I have my eye on a laptop whose graphics card has this as its name in full: 1,024MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce GTX 260M DDR3 DX10

Now... I'm not sure where this is on the chart. There's a GTX 260 in tier 4, a 260M (112) in tier 7, and a 260M (96) in tier 9.

Needless to say, I'm confused. Can anyone versed in graphics card naming help me out? Which of these cards is my card?

As a secondary question, if you happen to have seen a good deal on a good gaming laptop somewhere, I'm also open to suggestions in that area. :smalltongue:

Erloas
2009-08-19, 10:42 PM
Do you have a link to the specific laptop you are looking at? Nvidia has been really bad about their naming recently, with practically the same chip having 4 different names, and several chips with differences having the same name.

The card you have listed is one of the second two, but which we can't tell unless they give more information about the card. The difference between the two is mostly the number of shader cores, which is what that number means, the 112 and 96. Unfortunately that isn't the sort of thing a lot of places publish so it might take some looking to find it.

Either way though thats about as good as you get in laptops. Either are about mid-range for desktops, since most of the equivelent desktop cards are ~$100 or less.

The Linker
2009-08-19, 11:23 PM
Do you have a link to the specific laptop you are looking at?

That'd be here. (http://www.factorgaming.com/sager_np8662.php#3) I got the graphics card's name in full looking at the 'customize' section.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 12:45 AM
See, I'd love to practice on a map like that, but my problem is that it'd wreak havoc with my high scores and such. Is there a way around that besides resetting them afterwards?
Hit "create server." Technically, that's actually just a LAN game and is therefore unconnected to your actual stats.

Also, I think people are missing the point of Walkway. It's a map for practicing your aim as a sniper, or airshots as a Soldier, various stabs as a Spy, deflects as a Pyro, etc. etc.

Screwing around really wasn't the intended purpose of the map and I don't see the point of adding it to a server rotation.

I mean, it DID occur to KBF that he could practice the same drills I was giving him before as a Spy, right?

Jibar
2009-08-20, 01:05 AM
Am I the only one who taunts when set alight with no chance of being healed in time? I've given three people the Dance Dance Immolation taunt that way.

Oh yeah. Everytime.

Actually everytime I taunt a pyro or spy gets me. Yet I keep doing it.

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 01:08 AM
Oh, yeah, Jibar--after today's sentry shenanigans, methinks I'm gonna have to rescind my comments about you being invincible.

Survey indicates that you're at least partially vincible.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 01:20 AM
Oh, yeah, Jibar--after today's sentry shenanigans, methinks I'm gonna have to rescind my comments about you being invincible.

I stabbed him a few times today. So yes, I'd say that it sort of happens. I won't gloat about how I dominated him, I didn't. And I wasn't really interested in killing him so much as just taking what comes my way.

So, this reminds of the manga Vagabond.
A fictionalized Miyamoto Musashi manages to sneak into the private quarters of the Yagyū Sekishūsai Muneyoshi in the hopes of getting a match. Not only is this man infirm and frail, but he's still a badass enough swordsman to really screw with Miyamoto's head by "dueling" him with a wooden backscratcher . . . in his sleep. (Oh yes, and Sekishūsai declares that his sword is one with the heavens and earth.)

Miyamoto, acknowledging his inferiority to the grandmaster of the Yagyu, manages to ask him a question:
"What does it mean to be invincible?"

Being that Miyamoto is an aspiring swordsman in a feudal Japan, and moreover, a determinator, this sort of question really burns in his craw. How does one become invincible under the sun?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-20, 01:37 AM
Well, I just found out something interesting.

With a teammate who actually communicates with me and has a decent sense of timing, I can be a beast of a Medic. I must secret this information away for safekeeping...in the game I just left, I was dominating about 50% of a 14 man team with my partner...:smallbiggrin:

And before you ask, it wasn't just her. We Medics carried the Payload map this night!

Jibar
2009-08-20, 01:42 AM

I stabbed him a few times today. So yes, I'd say that it sort of happens. I won't gloat about how I dominated him, I didn't. And I wasn't really interested in killing him so much as just taking what comes my way.

So, this reminds of the manga Vagabond.
A fictionalized Miyamoto Musashi manages to sneak into the private quarters of the Yagyū Sekishūsai Muneyoshi in the hopes of getting a match. Not only is this man infirm and frail, but he's still a badass enough swordsman to really screw with Miyamoto's head by "dueling" him with a wooden backscratcher . . . in his sleep. (Oh yes, and Sekishūsai declares that his sword is one with the heavens and earth.)

Miyamoto, acknowledging his inferiority to the grandmaster of the Yagyu, manages to ask him a question:
"What does it mean to be invincible?"

Being that Miyamoto is an aspiring swordsman in a feudal Japan, and moreover, a determinator, this sort of question really burns in his craw. How does one become invincible under the sun?

I think the answer is "Screw with Rutskarn's head enough."

The Linker
2009-08-20, 02:05 AM
Also, I think people are missing the point of Walkway. It's a map for practicing your aim as a sniper, or airshots as a Soldier, various stabs as a Spy, deflects as a Pyro, etc. etc.

Screwing around really wasn't the intended purpose of the map and I don't see the point of adding it to a server rotation.

I mean, it DID occur to KBF that he could practice the same drills I was giving him before as a Spy, right?

You are aware that the video demonstration of the map -- made by one of the makers of the map -- TELLS you you can screw around and how to do it, right? I mean, when they put stuff in like reducing the bots' health to one... I'm sorry, but that's an invitation to have fun. :smallamused:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 02:07 AM
You are aware that the video demonstration of the map -- made by one of the makers of the map -- TELLS you you can screw around and how to do it, right? I mean, when they put stuff in like reducing the bots' health to one... I'm sorry, but that's an invitation to have fun. :smallamused:
Possibly? It gets old fast.

It's more fascinating to try and learn how to airshot things or to master the airblast. And the map is a very potent tool for it.

But I'm sure my last post pretty much explains my bias.

KBF
2009-08-20, 03:29 AM

Yeah, I noticed. That was also in the intro video. I'm hesitant because I'd have to set the speed settings and set it to all one class each time I want to practice on a different target. It would be so much easier if the simple default 'natural speed' option was there, but I can't find it.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-20, 03:48 AM
Considering that I main Pyro and play mostly on 2Fort, you'd think that the achievement for reflecting a crit rocket would come easier now the enemy gets 10 seconds of crits if they cap. Nope. Grr.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 03:49 AM
Considering that I main Pyro and play mostly on 2Fort, you'd think that the achievement for reflecting a crit rocket would come easier now the enemy gets 10 seconds of crits if they cap. Nope. Grr.
You sir, are a monster.

Do you perhaps play on a 24/7 server with 32 people and eat babies for breakfast?

KBF
2009-08-20, 04:00 AM
You sir, are a monster.

Do you perhaps play on a 24/7 server with 32 people and eat babies for breakfast?

I've never understood the hating on 2fort. I get that it's a map designed to be as simple as possible to allow players to play rather than try to create unique play situations, and that is supposedly wrong on so many levels. But.. Why is that so wrong?

But yeah, he is Cthulhu. But I don't think Deep Ones are their typical representatives.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-20, 04:02 AM
You sir, are a monster.

Do you perhaps play on a 24/7 server with 32 people?

Yes. Trust me, as soon as I find a 24 person server which does interesting maps and is always filled with people and doesn't go down mysteriously at random I'll switch to it and never look back.

It might just be because I played a lot of TFC beforehand and I think that's the only map that they carried over.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 04:15 AM
I've never understood the hating on 2fort. I get that it's a map designed to be as simple as possible to allow players to play rather than try to create unique play situations, and that is supposedly wrong on so many levels. But.. Why is that so wrong?
It's horridly easy to turtle and very, very cramped. It's basically one giant bottleneck with very little variety in between.

Yes. Trust me, as soon as I find a 24 person server which does interesting maps and is always filled with people and doesn't go down mysteriously at random I'll switch to it and never look back.
Search the public servers. Sort them by player number. Select all the smaller servers. Filter out the ones with "fast respawn" or "24/7" in their name. Play on them. Weed out servers that don't seem to have regular patrons or much of a community.

Most my time is spent on the d20 servers, ATF or Penny Arcade. Between, the three, it's not hard for me to find a game. Ubermelon also seems to have a lot of casual regulars and varied map rotations.

The Penny Arcade servers have the password "wang." And it's the place I go to for stiffer competition than usual. It oscillates from between casual to diehard. It kinda sucks on the few occasions that the veterans all decide to teamstack for lulz.

It might just be because I played a lot of TFC beforehand and I think that's the only map that they carried over.
Except they're not the same maps in the sense that Halo's Blood Gulch and Coagulation are the "same."

TFC didn't ramp damage at close range. Melee also didn't do such a horrendous amount of damage. These are different in TF2. That simple fact alone makes 2fort =/= 2fort.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-20, 04:19 AM
Search the public servers. Sort them by player number. Select all the smaller servers. Filter out the ones with "fast respawn" or "24/7" in their name. Play on them. Weed out servers that don't seem to have regular patrons.

Yeah, I might give that a go.

TFC didn't ramp damage at close range. Melee also didn't do such a horrendous amount of damage. These are different in TF2. That simple fact alone makes 2fort =/= 2fort.

Yeah, I meant in terms of layout. When you're starting out (which I still consider myself to be), it's easier to play on a map you know already than to try navigating Steel or Gravel Pit or something.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-20, 05:03 AM

That's not it. On the surface, 2fort has six routes to cap the intelligence, Sewers, Topside, and Centre, as well as a left/right split right before the Intel room.
When you look at it closely, however, there is one vital spot to guard and your defense is rock-solid. Just place a sentry and maybe a two-man team in that one P-way that serves as a bottleneck. Attackers are hosed and the whole game degenerates into a stalemate before you can say "Goodbye to your secret crap, Moron!"

In other news, I just bought the PC version of the Orange box and will commence installation as soon as I submit this pot.
I hope you're happy, Playground.

Dogmantra
2009-08-20, 06:07 AM
Plus on 2fort, god forbid Snipers doing anything other than killing other snipers. That would be far too convenient!

potatocubed
2009-08-20, 06:24 AM
I actually quite like 2fort when the number of players is limited - 6v6, say. When you have more than that all the design flaws start to show.

Jibar
2009-08-20, 09:17 AM
You sir, are a monster.

I actually do this when I'm not on the D20 servers. It's just practice really, I get to experiment with classes without looking ridiculous and its a pub server so I can run around doing stupid stuff and nobody says a word.

Although I only eat babies with milk.

Faulty
2009-08-20, 09:20 AM
I have a 32 man instant spawn Turbine server favorited.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 09:53 AM
That's not it. On the surface, 2fort has six routes to cap the intelligence, Sewers, Topside, and Centre, as well as a left/right split right before the Intel room.
When you look at it closely, however, there is one vital spot to guard and your defense is rock-solid. Just place a sentry and maybe a two-man team in that one P-way that serves as a bottleneck. Attackers are hosed and the whole game degenerates into a stalemate before you can say "Goodbye to your secret crap, Moron!"

In other news, I just bought the PC version of the Orange box and will commence installation as soon as I submit this pot.
I hope you're happy, Playground.

We are.

Now get Minerva.

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 10:01 AM
I guess I still haven't joined the whole Minerva/Anomalous Materials/Whatever the hell mod craze yet. I did play those two art mods--you know, the ones that sacrifice gameplay for story. Interesting experience. Pity about the gameplay. And the story.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 10:05 AM
I guess I still haven't joined the whole Minerva/Anomalous Materials/Whatever the hell mod craze yet. I did play those two art mods--you know, the ones that sacrifice gameplay for story. Interesting experience. Pity about the gameplay. And the story.

Play Minerva.

Good fun. And less shame about the gameplay (and the story).

Valve hired the guy on the strength of the maps. Think of it this way:

It's the closest you'll get to episode three for some time.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 10:17 AM
Rutskarn.

What does it mean to be invincible?

Also.

What is finest in life?

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 10:20 AM
What is finest in life?

Pie.

Duh.

Nano
2009-08-20, 10:25 AM
I know I'm late here, but yeah, Lurker, when I got Walkway all I did for about an hour was practice my airshots as a soldier. And occasionally deflections and sniper stuff afterwards. I'd say I've gotten a bit better.

Phase
2009-08-20, 10:47 AM
Mods I enjoyed that everyone would enjoy:

Minerva: Metastasis
Research and Development

Mods that I enjoyed that many people would enjoy, but not all:

The Hidden: Source
Eye of the Storm
Radiator (I know why Rutskarn didn't like it. That didn't stop me from thinking it was cool.)

Mods that were okay, I guess:

Riot Act
Rock 24

Mods that sucked ass and I will never play again:

Age of Chivalry
Action Half-Life
Synergy (Half-Life is supposed to be single player, gorrammit! It is'nt accustomed to co-op!)

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 10:48 AM
Mods that sucked ass and I will never play again:

Age of Chivalry
Action Half-Life
Synergy (Half-Life is supposed to be single player, gorrammit! It is'nt accustomed to co-op!)

Don't know about the other two, but Minerva meshes much better with Synergy.

It's kinda awesome.

Kyouhen
2009-08-20, 10:56 AM
Age of Chivalry really wasn't that great. I grabbed it when it got a mention on Steam, and the idea behind it is cool, but they really didn't do a very good job of it. Multiplayer Medieval combat is cool, and the whole thing where the campaign changes based on how you do is neat, but I think TF2's Territorial Control just worked out better.

The Linker
2009-08-20, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I know that spot well. Still doesn't stop me from rushing past it as a Scout more often than not. Three cheers for Bonk! :smallamused:

If that doesn't work, I usually switch to Soldier and rocket jump up the little hole just inside the base at ground level. That always gives me a very good angle to attack that spot from.

Of course, there are tons of other ways to turtle there, but frankly, I haven't seen that happening for weeks. Maybe a lot of people have realized how boring it gets. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-08-20, 12:09 PM
I actually quite like 2fort when the number of players is limited - 6v6, say. When you have more than that all the design flaws start to show.

Oh, I'm all for it then. It's great for Battle Medics, actually. They're better than Scouts on small teams.

EDIT: I found my problem with Walkway spawning a single bot: I'd set the limit on players in my server to 2.

KBF
2009-08-20, 03:00 PM
EDIT: I found my problem with Walkway spawning a single bot: I'd set the limit on players in my server to 2.

..Stop.. Stop doing that. I swear this is like the third time this has happened. Nobody ever reads my posts twice, even if they are the last on the page...

EDIT:

You have it set to allow up to 2 players. Set it to at least 14.

Dogmantra
2009-08-20, 03:01 PM
I didn't even see that there was a limit the first time!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-20, 03:15 PM
A) What is this Minerva thing you speak of?

b) In case you care (Which you probably don't) the STEAM name is Thanatos5150. Because I'm an inventive sort. And I don't know how to change it, or I'd occasionally change it to Cyberphage or something.

Player_Zero
2009-08-20, 04:06 PM
So, after you zoom there is a time in which headshots won't count? I never knew this before.

I was playing on this walkway dealie and trying to headshot, but if I zoomed and shoot too early they would be shot in the head, bloodstain an' all, but it would only do no scope damage.

potatocubed
2009-08-20, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the time is something stupidly short like 200 milliseconds or something, but the delay is there.

In other news, I need to stop joining teams which suck. Whether it's getting spawn-camped to death on Egypt or steam-rolled on Badlands (and on Gold Dust, and on Hoodoo...) I've spent the entire evening having my arse handed to me in a sack by just about everyone. Gaaaaaaaaah.

The Linker
2009-08-20, 04:48 PM
In other news, I need to stop joining teams which suck. Whether it's getting spawn-camped to death on Egypt or steam-rolled on Badlands (and on Gold Dust, and on Hoodoo...) I've spent the entire evening having my arse handed to me in a sack by just about everyone. Gaaaaaaaaah.

Why is it never "The other team is good!"? It's always "Our team sucks." I grow a little sad everytime I hear it. :smallfrown:

Just yesterday my team was getting steamrolled on Fastlane, but I could tell there were several good players on the other team, and there were at least two Medic teams serving as excellently-coordinated powerhouses. Of course my team could have done better, but why should they take the blame? I blame the Soldiers and Scouts on the other team that could drop anyone in a few shots! :smalltongue:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-20, 04:53 PM
Why is it never "The other team is good!"? It's always "Our team sucks." I grow a little sad everytime I hear it. :smallfrown:

Agreed. That said, there is a difference between "they just trampled us" and "our sniper can't hit a target to save his life, our Medic rushes headfirst into battle with the Bonesaw, our Scout tries to bat everything to death, our Engie puts his sentries in the middle of open fields, and so forth." Sometimes the reason really is that the team sucks.

In general, however, I do agree with you on this matter.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 05:12 PM
A) What is this Minerva thing you speak of?

Minerva's a Half-Life 2 episode 2 single player mod. It has 4 maps, all designed to get a maximum of playtime and a minimum of loading, while seeming like real environments.

It also has a clever plot, and let's the combine troopers live long enough to show off Valve's impressive AI work.

It can be found here (http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/phosphenes.shtml).

Nano
2009-08-20, 05:25 PM
Next time we've got a bunch of GitP guys in game, we should try and get a singalong going.

TheLogman
2009-08-20, 05:32 PM
Well, I'm getting mic access back tomorrow, and I'll finally stop being the mute medic/whoever else who never relays information in time.

And I would love to sing along.

The Linker
2009-08-20, 05:36 PM
A singalong, eh? Any specific songs in mind?

"Meee annnd sandvich gonna beeeeeat yoooour--"

I'm not sure how my family would react to my randomly singing that out loud, alone in my room.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 05:38 PM
A singalong, eh? Any specific songs in mind?

"Meee annnd sandvich gonna beeeeeat yoooour--"

I'm not sure how my family would react to my randomly singing that out loud, alone in my room.

I vote for the Durandal song from Marathon.

Nano
2009-08-20, 05:38 PM
Well, inspired by Rutskarn earlier, on Egypt: The Devil Went Down To Georgia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg)

Or, y'know. Something else.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-20, 06:12 PM
If you're singing, it's gotta be Still Alive.

Has to.

wojonatior
2009-08-20, 07:21 PM
hmmmmmm.... I think I even have that in HLSS.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-20, 08:04 PM
Agreed. That said, there is a difference between "they just trampled us" and "our sniper can't hit a target to save his life, our Medic rushes headfirst into battle with the Bonesaw, our Scout tries to bat everything to death, our Engie puts his sentries in the middle of open fields, and so forth." Sometimes the reason really is that the team sucks.

In general, however, I do agree with you on this matter.

Yeah. I'm not going to accuse my team of being terrible unless they actually are failing to meet basic class guidelines.

I actually once met a medic who refused to heal people. Even just a quick "here go to 150%" before the fight starts.

Volug
2009-08-20, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty happy with that shot I did on the spy on Yukon (Nano?) when he almost got the last point with no one there. It's my first ever twitch headshot where you just zoom in, move the mouse a bit and bam.

Now if I can do that 100% of the time instead of .003% of the time I'm pro >_>

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 08:19 PM
Rutskarn.

What does it mean to be invincible?

Also.

What is finest in life?

1.) OMG HAXX

2.) OMG HAXX

Jagos
2009-08-20, 08:22 PM

I feel your pain... Incidentally if you see three snipers, a scout and no medic or soldier... Chances are, they're gonna be losing.

Nano
2009-08-20, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty happy with that shot I did on the spy on Yukon (Nano?) when he almost got the last point with no one there. It's my first ever twitch headshot where you just zoom in, move the mouse a bit and bam.

FYI? I was not happy with that shot.

Also, an idea hit me while I was in the shower, and I need to bounce it off you guys.

GitP Grinder 3: The Musical.

Volug
2009-08-20, 08:42 PM
When that happens, I'm borrowing a friends mic since it's infinately better then mine.

Nano
2009-08-20, 08:45 PM
Everything ever is better than your mic. You're utterly incomprehensible on it.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-20, 08:46 PM
So: I've managed to find the IP for Lawful and added it to my favourites list.

What's the IP for Chaotic?

Morrandir
2009-08-20, 09:44 PM
Someone has to sing this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlj0w2mNXGQ)

Make sure there's a recording made, too.

Bonus points if people from both teams do the chorus.

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 09:46 PM
Everything ever is better than your mic. You're utterly incomprehensible on it.

Yeah. If your friend's mike fails, get a tin can and a piece of string. Stick one end through the can and the other into your mike jack.

This will be better.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 09:48 PM
Yeah. If your friend's mike fails, get a tin can and a piece of string. Stick one end through the can and the other into your mike jack.

This will be better.

On the other hand, it's perfect for Pyro.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-20, 09:54 PM
So: I've managed to find the IP for Lawful and added it to my favourites list.

What's the IP for Chaotic?

You do not find Chaotic, Thanatos. Chaotic finds you.

(66.55.158.200)

Nano
2009-08-20, 10:13 PM

This will be better.

A grim avenue of thought I think we're failing to consider is the chance that there's nothing wrong with the mic - It's merely the quality of his voice, perhaps because he's chewing on tinfoil or swallowing shards of glass. It'd have to be one of those, because nature could never be so cruel as to create something so terrible.

Admittedly, this is unlikely.

Fawkes
2009-08-20, 10:14 PM
Singalong? HELL YES.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 10:18 PM
1.) OMG HAXX

2.) OMG HAXX
Bah, you're not even trying.

Player_Zero
2009-08-20, 10:20 PM
Gotta agree. That setup deserved much better.

Also, GitP karaoke is the worst idea ever.

Nano
2009-08-20, 10:24 PM

Also, GitP karaoke is the worst idea ever.

Probably, but it'll be hilarious. To me, at least. For the brief period that I retain any ability to hear.

KBF
2009-08-20, 10:34 PM
Bah, you're not even trying.

And he stole the only joke I had.

I demand you return it Rutskarn.

Oh and I'm mute. So I can't singalong. Sorry.

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 10:50 PM

Did it? Or did my response drive to the very heart, the very soul of the proposition? Did I, through inspired phrases, tap into a well of beliefs and principles we dare not speak aloud?

I can see how the plebes may not see it that way. Very well; allow me, then, to lower my art to a more appropriate level.

To the first:

To know invincibility is to know all there is about the world. It is to remove the fear from exploration; thus, the thrill; thus, the point. It is to descend into a state of slack apathy, never learning, never caring, until the joy of life is leeched entirely away. To be invincible is to be dead, and unable to die.

To the second:

Fart jokes.

@KBF: No. It's my joke now.

Player_Zero
2009-08-20, 10:51 PM
Still not feeling it.

Rutskarn
2009-08-20, 10:52 PM
I felt your mother.

FA-TANG

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-20, 11:29 PM
Did it? Or did my response drive to the very heart, the very soul of the proposition? Did I, through inspired phrases, tap into a well of beliefs and principles we dare not speak aloud?

I can see how the plebes may not see it that way. Very well; allow me, then, to lower my art to a more appropriate level.

To the first:

To know invincibility is to know all there is about the world. It is to remove the fear from exploration; thus, the thrill; thus, the point. It is to descend into a state of slack apathy, never learning, never caring, until the joy of life is leeched entirely away. To be invincible is to be dead, and unable to die.

To the second:

Fart jokes.

So you're implying that Jibar is a lifeless husk?

Surely, a stirring tragedy can be written out of this. A young Jibar, with motivation and vigor, sets out to conquer men and master the arts of war. And in his old age, when there are no challenges to move him to vigor, he flames out. A person undone by the pursuit of his dream.

Now, if we really want to make it obnoxious, we might even throw in a Faustian theme. Man is punished for daring to obtain wisdom beyond his humble origins. It depends on your tastes I suppose.

chiasaur11
2009-08-20, 11:55 PM
Still not feeling it.

Answer's still pie.

Didn't you read "The Goon"?

Jibar
2009-08-21, 01:10 AM
So you're implying that Jibar is a lifeless husk?

Surely, a stirring tragedy can be written out of this. A young Jibar, with motivation and vigor, sets out to conquer men and master the arts of war. And in his old age, when there are no challenges to move him to vigor, he flames out. A person undone by the pursuit of his dream.

Now, if we really want to make it obnoxious, we might even throw in a Faustian theme. Man is punished for daring to obtain wisdom beyond his humble origins. It depends on your tastes I suppose.

...what the hell keeps happening while I'm asleep...

KBF
2009-08-21, 01:35 AM

wth dude hax

Dispozition
2009-08-21, 01:41 AM
I still maintain that I am an awesome sniper to have a positive K:D ratio with a ping over 275.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-21, 01:46 AM
Sekishūsai's answer is simply: "Invincible is just a word."

Rutskarn's answer is ironically appropriate given that Musashi's father (going back to Vagabond) was recognized as an "Invincible Martial Artist."

The contrast between Sekishūsai and Musashi's father is portrayed with the former being an unflappable and somewhat doddery old codger and the latter as a man who had to declare his strength loudly in order to wall himself off from the world.

This obvious contrast in Musashi's head is obviously a point of character development, as his relationship with dad was an abusive one that ended with Musashi becoming a feral (or reputably feral) mountain child.

Sekishūsai's own "master" is given a flashback as well. His presence is so intimidating because of his tranquility. This is a trait that Musashi himself begins to inherit (with the aid of some other master), maintaining composure in life-or-death fights that is oddly unsettling.

The aforementioned master poses the question: "What is the way of the sword?" His own answer to the question more or less mimics the psychology of most fighters. *I* must win. *I* must make my strength known. Etc. Etc. He then asks his students if they thought the "way of the sword" was so trivial.

The implications of this is shown over-and-over as characters are defeated, not because of a lack of technique, but due to a loss of morale. Otherwise skilled fighters spent more mental energy fighting themselves than they did on thinking and perceiving.

I find this compelling as it bears out two experiences:
- Firing an actual gun often has the effect of shocking amateur shooters. There are a lot of ingrained reflexes that must be learnt around.
- I've learned more about getting chain stabs lately.

Power is a relationship, not a possession. By this token, invincibility is a temporary thing that occurs when the planets/stars/whatever are in alignment.

In short, I stabbed Jibar.

Dogmantra
2009-08-21, 03:51 AM
Someone has to sing this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlj0w2mNXGQ)

Make sure there's a recording made, too.

Bonus points if people from both teams do the chorus.
I know nigh on all the words!
Unfortunately, this is one of my proudest achievements.
So basically... I totally agree, and the musical idea is a brilliant idea.

Jibar
2009-08-21, 04:12 AM
So... me, Ninjews, Linker and Thanatos kinda broke Pipeline. We go Red Cart onto the point, and then neither cart would move and without any rtv kinda commands, we were stuck.
Ended up just goofing around, but it was weird as hell. Pipeline is really empty without carts moving.

Dispozition
2009-08-21, 04:31 AM
So... me, Ninjews, Linker and Thanatos kinda broke Pipeline. We go Red Cart onto the point, and then neither cart would move and without any rtv kinda commands, we were stuck.
Ended up just goofing around, but it was weird as hell. Pipeline is really empty without carts moving.

That happened on another server I went to. I think pipeline is bugged. Well, no, it is bugged, no thinking about it.

Hermit
2009-08-21, 04:33 AM

Second most annoying Payload bug, that one.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZna0kaHPoU&feature=related) being the first.

Jokes
2009-08-21, 04:34 AM

Same thing happened to us on second stage. Our team capped, but instead of the round ending, the carts moved on to the third stage (we could spectate them) and left us respawning at the second. So, yeah, just goofed around until we got bored.

Edit: ^ Hah, that one happened too. Shame I was on red at the time... And I'd say the pipeline one is worse, since it's impossible to get onto another map unless you can rtv. At least the hoodoo one actually finishes.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-21, 05:32 AM
Huh, just figured my absurdly high ping might have had to do with the fact that I'm downloading something. Oops.

The Linker
2009-08-21, 08:37 AM

In case it interests/scares you, I just finished playing ten minutes ago. Yeah, I pulled a TF2 all-nighter. 9:37 AM right now.

Those carts sure didn't budge for a LONG time. Eventually, Player_Zero came on -- when we were the only two players on the server, we decided to disconnect and rejoin, as according to him an empty server means the map resets. And it did!

KBF
2009-08-21, 12:33 PM
You were on all night Linker? And map glitches and hilarity started? Why did I leave? :smallfrown:

Oh, and I remembered I wanted to ask something. Who is [GiTP] Jeremy? Will the real [GiTP] Jeremy please stand up?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-21, 12:34 PM
Oh, and I remembered I wanted to ask something. Who is [GiTP] Jeremy? Will the real [GiTP] Jeremy please stand up?

This. I've been wondering this for some time as well.

Bryn
2009-08-21, 12:38 PM
Jeremy is Archangel Yuki, apparently:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4161/jeremyuki.png

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-21, 01:17 PM
Bryn after A-Levels we should become some sort of detective super team. You could do all the detecting and I'll do all the crappy boring credit taking, it'd be fun! :smallbiggrin:

Guys! Download some cool custom maps for L4D!
Death Aboard (http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_joomloads&view=package&Itemid=2&packageId=156)
Heaven Can Wait (http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_joomloads&view=package&Itemid=2&packageId=612) - The best one IMO
7 Hours Later (http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=2003)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-21, 01:22 PM
Bryn after A-Levels we should become some sort of detective super team. You could do all the detecting and I'll do all the crappy boring credit taking, it'd be fun! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I think you guys need a third member to be truly effective, as you've forgotten a major part of the team.

Bryn does all the detecting.
Apelord69 gets all the credit.
I take all the payment.

Sound good? Now all we need is someone in charge of finding clients...:smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-08-21, 01:30 PM
Actually, I think you guys need a third member to be truly effective, as you've forgotten a major part of the team.

Bryn does all the detecting.
Apelord69 gets all the credit.
I take all the payment.

Sound good? Now all we need is someone in charge of finding clients...:smallbiggrin:

Hey, if this is classic Noir detecting, I figure there's another bit.

I get the dames!

Except the ones who'd kill you.

Which, sadly, is most of them.

potatocubed
2009-08-21, 02:06 PM
Dames who'll try to kill you is totally my type.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-21, 02:11 PM
Hey, if this is classic Noir detecting, I figure there's another bit.

I get the dames!

Except the ones who'd kill you.

Which, sadly, is most of them.

Any port in a storm right?

Rutskarn
2009-08-21, 02:13 PM
I'll be the snappy, worldy-wise bartender.

TheLogman
2009-08-21, 03:01 PM
I really want to try out Heaven can wait. I'm gonna download it.

Phase? Rutskarn? Anyone else? Would you be willing to do a 4-man co-op of this thing? It sounds like the sorta thing we could do.

With hilarious results.

This would be, in part, to celebrate my getting back of my microphone, which a doubt may people would have noticed, but it still nice.

Kyouhen
2009-08-21, 03:06 PM

Phase? Rutskarn? Anyone else? Would you be willing to do a 4-man co-op of this thing? It sounds like the sorta thing we could do.

With hilarious results.

This would be, in part, to celebrate my getting back of my microphone, which a doubt may people would have noticed, but it still nice.

I'd love to but alas, I must go to work soonish. :smallfrown:

Rutskarn
2009-08-21, 03:19 PM
Not today. Today, there is science to be done.

Fawkes
2009-08-21, 03:41 PM
I'll be the snappy, worldy-wise bartender.

Dibs on the plucky young newsboy!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! World's greatest detective solves case of the missing peanut brittle!

potatocubed
2009-08-21, 03:43 PM

With hilarious results.

I'm around this evening. Throw me a Steam message if you need another player.

I have a mic! And a terrible voice!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-21, 04:04 PM
Any port in a storm right?

What, if anything, does the rallying cry of bisexual males have to do with what you quoted?

EDIT:
Also, download finished. Ping is less horrible.
I should shut down some of my other programmes running in the background to further reduce Horrendus Ping Rates.
This is the downside of living in Japan.

wojonatior
2009-08-21, 05:16 PM
You live in Japan? Go play neotokyo and celebrate your complete geekness.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-21, 05:22 PM
I'd be up for Heaven Can Wait, add me as apelord69 on steam

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-21, 05:27 PM
You live in Japan? Go play neotokyo and celebrate your complete geekness.
TOTAL EDIT:

Yeah, I completely mis-read your post.

Que es neotokyo?

AlterForm
2009-08-21, 06:55 PM
TOTAL EDIT:

Yeah, I completely mis-read your post.

Que es neotokyo?

Link (http://www.neotokyohq.com/) por usted.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-21, 07:36 PM
Jeremy is Archangel Yuki, apparently:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4161/jeremyuki.png

I thought you guys knew.

>_>

EDIT: Im going to add it to my Sig, or I can change my steam name to Archangel Yuki. Jeremy is much quicker in the heat of battle though, and as a Medic i prefer Jeremy.

EDIT^2: Wow, Bryn, I must have friended you a long time ago. I haven't been B3 for quite some time.

TheLogman
2009-08-21, 08:19 PM
Apelord and I just ran through Heaven Can Wait on, what, normal?

Very challenging. The first map was unimpressive, but it got really interesting and well made after that. Lotta custom structures, and interesting combinations of old stuff to make new areas.

And damn, there must have been 3 Witches and Tanks per Chapter.

PER CHAPTER!!!

And the Finale was completely ridiculous, something like 6 Tanks total attacked us, plus a Witch or two if I remember correctly.

Very few resources.

Lotta exploration, the maps were expansive.

We made it to the end, but jumped about 3 seconds too early and died >.>

Also, an interesting twist to most of the maps is that you don't control a good number of the Horde events. Something from outside influences them. This, and a few dud safehouses, make the map seem alive and real, more realistic.

The custom areas were interesting as well, including a Court House, complete with Mayor's office, secret tunnel bookcase, and secret train, a motel and Diner, and a very large Church Courtyard.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-21, 08:22 PM
Update for today included this:
Bullet spread algorithm changed to fire a bullet right down the crosshair under these circumstances:

The first bullet of a spread weapon (except for rapid fire spread weapons like the minigun)

The first bullet of a non-spread weapon if it's been >1.25 seconds since firing

So Revolver is 100% accurate first shot and every shot after 1.25 seconds.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-21, 09:04 PM
Also, blog update (http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2754) giving us a little background information on the creation of King of the Hill/Viaduct.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-21, 11:04 PM
We need this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuR3i0_4lY)

I love it.

Nano
2009-08-21, 11:16 PM
Your link is failing. Or maybe that's just me. Mistyped something?

Fixed it. That's absolutely hilarious.

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 12:11 AM
We need this. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuR3i0_4lY)

I love it.

Wow, we really do. Who wants to petition getting that on Chaotic? :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 12:33 AM
That is all things wrong with the world.

chiasaur11
2009-08-22, 12:35 AM
That is all things wrong with the world.

And many of the things right with it.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 12:36 AM
There is nothing right about that.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-22, 03:41 AM
There is nothing right about that.

There are many things right with it. As far as I can tell, it has no malicious plans to delete our Hats or Medals, and has no other wish then to be loved.
Why, Dear Zero, will you not embrace and love it?

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 03:54 AM
Don't talk of love, though I've heard the word before.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 04:01 AM
To fruitlessly keep trying to earn the scout achievments aginst invisible foes and chaotic PUGs, to hope someone hops onto Lawful/Chaotic, or to watch Casablanca? Truly, the choices are maddening.

And I'm totally up for a musical GitP Grinder.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 04:06 AM
Et tu Thanatos?

Also, I can't 'hop on' to either server. It needs to be updated. AGAIN.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 04:12 AM
The Rule of Funny and Never Done it Before agree that the experiance would be interesting and likely enjoyable.

Looks like my choices got simplified. I seem to be lacking the DivX MPEG-4 Low motion (DIV3) codec and cannot locate it on the stupid site WMP directs me to. No Casablanca until it's fixed.

Jibar
2009-08-22, 05:46 AM
Jibar on regular Half-Life 2: "AAAAHHHH ZOMBIES WHAT THE HELL *Bang bang* yeah I'm goOHGODITCAMEOUTOFTHESKY."
Jibar on SMOD Half-Life 2: "Alright. Let's Impulse 101 and try out these new weaOHGODITCAMEOUTOF*booooooooooooooooooom*THEYNEVE RSTOPCOMINGTHEYNEVERSTOPEXPLODINGWHYGODWHYYYYYYYY"

I am absolutely petrified of the headcrabs and related zombies. This is not a good thing when I'm about to attempt Ravenholm with SMOD.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 06:12 AM
You know what you should do? Play scary games.

Also, Ravenholm wasn't really very scary if you ask me. I did more damage to myself falling off a roof than all the zombies together.

Jibar
2009-08-22, 06:21 AM
You know what you should do? Play scary games.

You should have seen me when I played Silent Hill 2.
I'm sure it was hilarious for everyone who isn't me.

Jagos
2009-08-22, 06:54 AM
We need this. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuR3i0_4lY)

I love it.

you have "http:" twice. Just delete one and you're fine.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 07:23 AM
I just finished a toyfort capture points map.
I feel like I played like someone halfway competant.

This is scaring me.

potatocubed
2009-08-22, 08:00 AM
I also have Neotokyo, if anyone is interested in a noob-friendly game. So far I've had a poke around one map and walked off the side of a building twice.

Volug
2009-08-22, 08:01 AM
I also have Neotokyo, if anyone is interested in a noob-friendly game. So far I've had a poke around one map and walked off the side of a building twice.

If you call me up on steam we can play a game right now.

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 08:22 AM
I hate Ravenholm. Hate hate hate Ravenholm. It isn't even that it's scary, though walking around a corner and getting slammed by a flying barrel can be a little shocking. It's that the zombies don't give me ammo and I have a habit of using more bullets than I probably should. Then I end up blasting them with the Gravity Gun only to watch my projectile of choice go spinning off over a building. I actually feel relieved every time I see that light at the end of the tunnel. Hate.

wojonatior
2009-08-22, 12:41 PM
Sooooo... I was exploring the map walkway and found some juicy secrets. There is a hidden door you have to trickery your way through, then after that there is a tunnel with a light at the end, if you keep walking you fall into the floor to an engineer shrine, after you handle that predicament you can go to the side and teleport yourself onto the walkway, but outside there is a ginormous Heavy. I also noclipped around and backstabbed the heavy, and also found the Blu spawn room.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-22, 02:36 PM
Apelord and I just ran through Heaven Can Wait on, what, normal?

Very challenging. The first map was unimpressive, but it got really interesting and well made after that. Lotta custom structures, and interesting combinations of old stuff to make new areas.

And damn, there must have been 3 Witches and Tanks per Chapter.

PER CHAPTER!!!

And the Finale was completely ridiculous, something like 6 Tanks total attacked us, plus a Witch or two if I remember correctly.

Very few resources.

Lotta exploration, the maps were expansive.

We made it to the end, but jumped about 3 seconds too early and died >.>

Also, an interesting twist to most of the maps is that you don't control a good number of the Horde events. Something from outside influences them. This, and a few dud safehouses, make the map seem alive and real, more realistic.

The custom areas were interesting as well, including a Court House, complete with Mayor's office, secret tunnel bookcase, and secret train, a motel and Diner, and a very large Church Courtyard.

Yeah that was an awesome campaign! I really think it'd be good with 4 people, those crecendoes we couldnt controll were really fun

Erloas
2009-08-22, 02:43 PM
So has anyone played the game 1701 AD, which is the Steam half-off weekend deal game?

It looks kind of interesting and the high seas are always interesting. But of course I've bought quite a few games lately, especially on the steam weekend deals that are moderately fun but I'm simply never spending enough time actually playing them.

wojonatior
2009-08-22, 02:52 PM
It is a city building/trading/thing game. It is a very fun series.